WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 11, 2016, 12:42:32 PM
Well, except that you can kill demons in realspace with certain specific psychic abilities, like Holocaust.

And they don't respawn in the Warp?

TheGlyphstone

Nope. A demon destroyed with Holocaust is permanently erased from existence.

Egoiste

QuoteNope. A demon destroyed with Holocaust is permanently erased from existence.

Even this should be a fairly meaningless gesture.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Egoiste! on August 11, 2016, 02:23:07 PM
Even this should be a fairly meaningless gesture.

Well, they can be replaced, but that specific demon is gone forever. Bit like saying killing a human is a meaningless gesture, because a new human can be born somewhere in the world.

Egoiste

QuoteBit like saying killing a human is a meaningless gesture, because a new human can be born somewhere in the world.

It's a fairly loose analogy. The thing is Daemons are created by a simple act of will, and the power to do so is provided by the prevailing psychic/emotional forces extant in normal reality. As long as these forces remain stable the number of daemons will always be more or less the same.

The only big exceptions I can think of, where squating a Daemon would have a real effect, are daemons who are powerful and charismatic enough to be almost Gods themselves, like the primarch daemon princes in 40k, or to a lesser extent those actively corrupting, controlling cults, etc. and primarily because of ttheir ability to gather followers and the effect they have on them. The worship of the least human is more important to a Chaos god than the life of almost any daemon. Unless the lore has changed a lot!

Doomsday

Played my Tau friend in a 'friendly skirmish' that happened to include a cheesy-ass Riptide wing. I think I'm done with 'friendly skirmishes' for a while.

Kia

I've read a few of the books in the 40k verse, and a friend likes to tell me about his tabletop conquests. The most fascinating thing I like about the book series is the good guy doesn't always win. They don't even make a great and heroic comeback at the end of the book. If you delve deeper, in some books it's hard to tell who the 'good guys' are! Also, you could follow a character off and on through the book ...and have them die in a most gruesome and anonymous manner. Such is war.  It is so contrary to the traditional hero epic, that it definitely left a lasting impression.

Egoiste

The first 40k novel I ever read was Eye of Terror, and it's actually still my favourite. The stuff with the Imperial Navy is OK, the Space Marine stuff is OK, but the stuff with the idiot trader who is too dumb to be afraid of going into the Eye of Terror to find interesting trade goods? Love it.

Lustful Bride

So the Fan Film "The Lord Inquisitor" looks better than anything GW has put out in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZc6cr6G2E4

Perhaps there is a light in the Grim Dark future, for hope.

Lip Syncing is abit off but otherwise..damn this is amazing.

HairyHeretic

I was just about to post that myself :)

This is what a 40k film should be.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheGlyphstone

AngelsSonata

Random thought, but has anyone played a game of Warhammer 40K with Kill Team rules before?

Egoiste

Wow that trailer is awesome, almost as awesome as

HairyHeretic

Quote from: AngelsSonata on August 31, 2016, 03:08:27 PM
Random thought, but has anyone played a game of Warhammer 40K with Kill Team rules before?

GWs old rules or the Heralds of Ruin version? And do you mean a full sized game of 40k with the additional rules?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

Heh, im into modeling, and with count, i have some 80+ marines, 2 rhinos, imperial knight, bunch of guard storm troopers, and squad of sister of battle celestines. Working on making my own space marine chapter..
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheLaughingOne

Also recently played in a  only war warhammer game over roll20, playing operator who doubled as techy guy:3 was fun, but had to take a break due to rl stuff.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

AngelsSonata

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 01, 2016, 02:46:49 AM
GWs old rules or the Heralds of Ruin version? And do you mean a full sized game of 40k with the additional rules?
I'd say old rules, though I've never seen the Heralds of Ruin rules before. Just a small, 200 point kill team game.

HairyHeretic

Can't remember if I've played GWs version, but I have played 40k since first edition, and 1st and 2nd ed were much more complex than 3rd ed onwards. Some of the Kill Team rules were used in those earlier versions. They do add more tactical flexibility, but they also slow the game down.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wajin

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

I'm on the 40k is gonna have a fucking end times train too... fuck this is sad... jeez....
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

TheGlyphstone

GW's business sense is horrific. They should be diversifying, not cancelling their non-minature licenses.

HairyHeretic

Well, businesses change licence holders periodically. How many companies have had the Star Wars RPG license? I think at least 3 off the top of my head. It's quite possible someone else may pick the this one from GW.

I don't see 40k doing an end times. From what I can see Age of Sigmar didn't do all that well in terms of rejuvenating fantasy, however nice the models are, and I doubt they'll risk a similar financial hit with 40k.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

From what I'm hearing of people who pay attention to this stuff, AoS (for all of its many faults) was exactly what GW wanted - Fantasy miniature sales are up significantly since the last WHFB edition.

HairyHeretic

The thing with any of GWs games is that unless they're introducing new units and models, most of what someone has in a given army will last them for as long as they remain in the hobby. I have models older than some people I've played against.

AoS is as much an entirely new game as a continuation of WFB. The factions are the same in some ways, but the unit types have changed a fair bit, so anyone wanting to play it is going to have to buy new models.

Cattle die, kinsmen die