What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Tolvo on November 21, 2018, 11:35:24 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46286945

Also yikes Child Gambling is up.

Was just about to post the same thing after seeing Jim Sterling's video (whom we all thank God for every day). I am honestly not surprised with gambling being in most AAA video games these days (fuck lootboxes).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: RedRose on November 21, 2018, 11:17:23 AM
Young German subjected to Nazi salutes and heil Hitlers by gilets jaunes. He tried to escape and they attacked his car, breaking a window. Also an Asian man got punched (with racist insults). Surreal
http://www.lessentiel.lu/fr/news/grande_region/story/les-saluts-nazis-des-gilets-jaunes-de-moselle-30506850

Are the police not doing anything? Shouldn't they be out in full force?

TheVillain

Here in the US the FBI has been reporting for decades that white supremist groups have spent decades infiltrating law enforcement groups, I imagine that in Europe the same thing is happening.

Wouldn't surprise me anyway.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Tolvo

It depends on the country, Germany for instance is usually more strict but as long as people don't violate the specific laws they can get away with a lot. It's why Neo Nazis in Germany wave Confederate flags, because those aren't banned there, yet. And yeah in the USA they've infiltrated a lot of law enforcement groups and a lot of police have ties to groups like the KKK and others. The FBI and our government don't consider it too big of a threat until recently and even then the Pentagon considers it low priority still. Remember the police in a lot of countries do have a history of defending Neo Nazis, even in England.

RedRose

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 21, 2018, 11:42:04 AM
Are the police not doing anything? Shouldn't they be out in full force?

They are overwhelmed. Those guys are all over. By the time an incident happens and they get called, it is over. They also need to keep being careful about terror attacks and anything else they normally do. Some cops were sent to hospital too, btw. In the beginning I had a slight sympathy for the gilets jaunes, but methinks if you attack basically every group of people, you are the problem. Some of the people who were stuck in cars for the night were kids. That's fucked up. https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/drivers-stranded-on-french-motorway-overnight-as-fuel-price-protests-continue
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Tolvo

Well the US military is way behind on a lot of this stuff. Like Atomwaffen symbols/tattoos they don't screen for or generally recognize and when they do, they just ignore them. It usually is case by case depending on the local police in the area, and whether they are more or less sympathetic to or involved with Neo Nazis. There are a lot of activists who have to constantly walk police through these things and teach them because they are just so ignorant of things, this happens a lot in general with a lot of online organizing and stuff. Cops don't tend to know much of anything about online spaces.

Skynet

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 21, 2018, 12:11:10 AM
Are you sure you're not conflating the Aryan Brotherhood and the Aryan Nations? The latter has specifically targeted political and minority groups with violence outside of prisons, but the former is very much a profit-oriented criminal gang; they talk the talk about white supremacy but are known to set aside their racism when there's sufficient amounts of money in it.

That said, you are certainly right that they don't really have any use for a rocket launcher or pipe bombs. So either they were intending to cross the line from gang to terrorist, or they were planning to sell those weapons to someone who would use them. Or they belonged to the Unforgiven members, whoever that is - they're apparently a Florida local group, so I can't find much info on them.

I think I misspoke, when I said "others of their ilk." I was referring in general to the numerous violent actions taken in both long-ago and recent times by fellow white supremacists. I'm aware that the Aryan Brotherhood has worked with Latino gangs at times, although one way or another their ideology time and time again leads them to the same conclusion of political violence, be they for-profit drug-runners or rural doomsday compounds.

Icelandic

Quote from: RedRose on November 21, 2018, 12:40:06 PM
They are overwhelmed. Those guys are all over. By the time an incident happens and they get called, it is over. They also need to keep being careful about terror attacks and anything else they normally do. Some cops were sent to hospital too, btw. In the beginning I had a slight sympathy for the gilets jaunes, but methinks if you attack basically every group of people, you are the problem. Some of the people who were stuck in cars for the night were kids. That's fucked up. https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/drivers-stranded-on-french-motorway-overnight-as-fuel-price-protests-continue

French Revolution 2: Yellow Jacket Boogaloo?
Please, do stay a while, and warm up my icy heart~.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

My main request thread. (Always open!)

Tolvo

And people though guillotine jokes were bad.

Icelandic

Quote from: Tolvo on November 21, 2018, 03:39:15 PM
And people though guillotine jokes were bad.

Aww come on. I changed it up! I didn't go with the 100% generic 'electric boogaloo' joke. I made it a little more relevant. D:

Also in other news: http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/11/21/rider-university-refuses-bring-chick-fil-campus-over-fast-food-chicken-chains-corporate

People here seem to post bigger news, so I don't mind posting random small-scale news like this.

Funny enough I don't mind this choice. The college in question is a private one so there is really nothing to say that they can't exclude any particular place of business.

"New Jersey's Rider University sent a survey to students asking them which restaurants they would like to see on campus, but when it became clear Chick-fil-A was the top pick, the school told students the popular fast-food chain would not be brought to campus."

I think that's kinda dickish though. Although I suppose it's a valuable lesson in teaching students that their opinion does not matter if it's the 'wrong' one.

Either way, meh.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Tolvo

Well to be fair the university probably did not want to associate with a company known for being very homophobic and supporting conversion therapy, and wanted students to feel safe on campus. So makes sense to not want such a company there.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/american-tourist-killed-on-andaman-island-home-to-uncontacted-peoples-1393013-2018-11-21

This is a weird story. It does suck that a person died, and those fisherman definitely got him killed, but also he should really have left those indigenous people alone.

LisztesFerenc

A culture whose first reaction to a stranger on their land is to kill them. Its a bit hard for me to grasp, its such a different world. It also says they were uncontacted, so what did they make of the clothes? The cellphone, the wallet?

Tolvo

No one knows no one has every been able to sit down and talk with them, they're basically a protected isolated group you are never supposed to get near. And it's incredibly dangerous for both sides to get close. Like it says they even fire arrows at helicopters which fair those are probably fucking terrifying to them. Like I said he should never have even been there, those fisherman should have never taken him there.

Oniya

That particular island has been known for deaths in the past.  I remember reading about that tribe a while back, and there was actually a law in place by Indian authorities against approaching within 3 miles.

Apparently, the Restricted Access Permit requirement was lifted back in August for 29 of the Andaman islands, including North Sentinel - for the purpose of promoting tourism.

This is going to really put a dent in their Travelocity ratings.  [/snark]
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tolvo

So Gavin Mcinnes just made a video announcing he is leaving the Proud Boys, the group he founded. I don't know if I should link the video because it is a lot of Nazi apologism, claiming Nazi Germany respected Jewish people, and lots of slurs and transphobic "Jokes." But basically he said his lawyer recommended he do this and distance himself from the group. And he claimed it was just a men's club and all a satire and typical "I will take no responsibility for my actions ever!" type stuff.

Mechelle

British academic Matthew Hedges, who had been researching  Emirati responses to the Arab Spring has been jailed for life for espionage by our supposed UAE allies. So far, Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt had been counselling quiet diplomacy, but that may change.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46288510

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Tolvo on November 21, 2018, 04:18:20 PM
No one knows no one has every been able to sit down and talk with them, they're basically a protected isolated group you are never supposed to get near. And it's incredibly dangerous for both sides to get close. Like it says they even fire arrows at helicopters which fair those are probably fucking terrifying to them. Like I said he should never have even been there, those fisherman should have never taken him there.

Such groups live by their own tribal laws, and back in the day the folks higher up (on what we know as the civilized side) would basically disavow to have anything to do with them. The warning if you were to seek out some such group in let's say the distant Amazon a hundred years ago would run: "if you even dare to get closer to those people they will defend their space, aim to capture you, cook you and shrink your heads - and we shall do nothing about it as long as they're on their own land! It's at your own peril, understood?" :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sara Nilsson

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/infernal/2018/11/the-satanic-temple-amicably-settles-lawsuit-against-warner-brother-netflix/

QuoteThe Satanic Temple is pleased to announce that the lawsuit it recently filed against Warner Bros. and Netflix has been amicably settled.  The unique elements of the Satanic Temple’s Baphomet statue have been acknowledged in the credits of episodes which have already been filmed.  The remaining terms of the settlement are subject to a confidentiality agreement.

Victory! So glad we won that. Was BS that we had to sue to begin with.

Icelandic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/anger-over-farrakhan-ties-prompts-calls-for-womens-march-leaders-to-resign/2018/11/21/6d925942-edb4-11e8-8679-934a2b33be52_story.html?utm_term=.45b049481a4a

Several Women's March leaders are facing calls to resign now (including calls from the original founder of the original organization), over their ties to other hate-groups and racist/antisemitic individuals, such as Louis Farrakhan.

I mean, it was an open secret for a while now that the organization was run by racists, sexists, and antisemites, but it's good that this is all coming out into daylight now.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

RedRose

Years ago I read that book from a girl who got adopted into a tribe in South America, after that tribe attacked her family. Yeah, it was really allllll about arrows and killing "others". Life was incredibly hard for them too. Survival, education, childbearing, health, everything sucked. There was no "beauty of savage life" or whatever. I was actually very very disturbed how she thought SHE had to adapt her feelings to the fact that she had been married off by force (later, not as a little girl).

found it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanoama I'm sure some tribes are nicer but that account, gosh. The summary leaves out the worst.

Also, this is about an undiscovered tribe that just got discovered https://www.futura-sciences.com/sciences/actualites/homme-amazonie-tribu-indiens-inconnus-filmee-drone-15755/
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Tolvo

https://rewire.news/article/2018/11/21/the-rejection-of-conversion-therapy-for-trans-kids-isnt-motivated-by-politics-its-motivated-by-science/

Some news on people talking about the science behind rejecting conversion therapy for transgender children and Zucker the man who propped it up the most, who unfortunately still has a private clinic though at least not as many are sent to it. Also side note it's not a good sign when Zucker says he doesn't actually read the things he talks about much and just makes assumptions about them.

Icelandic

https://www.yahoo.com/news/american-missionary-killed-tribesmen-remote-island-wrote-parents-saying-dont-mad-105236382.html

More juicy details about the guy killed by the tribe. I guess he was trying to convert the natives? He also mentioned that people should not be mad at them and that he knew what he was doing. I guess he was also able to document his encounter for a bit before dying.

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's

Tolvo

Yep, it was mostly his fault and a bit of the fisherman's fault for bringing him there in the first place.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/22/hillary-clinton-europe-must-curb-immigration-stop-populists-trump-brexit

So um, Hillary Clinton's take away from 2016 was basically "I need to hate immigrants more" and "White supremacists do have legitimate points." Which? Um?! I guess sure that's a way to go. I know she's awful but I didn't expect quite that far of a leap right wing of her. It's a good thing they interviewed her and Tony Blair, noted Center-Left folks that are very well respected on the left and not at all totally despised and seen as conservatives.

Can't wait for that 2020 election where she will probably run again and lose even fucking harder thanks to her trying to appease fascists.

gaggedLouise

Ten weeks after the general elections and after three serious attempts to form a new government, complete stalemate now reigns in the Swedish parliament, and a new election to loosen up some of the knots and let the voters have their say over the long process is looming at the horizon of possibilities.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Icelandic

Quote from: Tolvo on November 22, 2018, 08:45:36 AM
Yep, it was mostly his fault and a bit of the fisherman's fault for bringing him there in the first place.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/22/hillary-clinton-europe-must-curb-immigration-stop-populists-trump-brexit

So um, Hillary Clinton's take away from 2016 was basically "I need to hate immigrants more" and "White supremacists do have legitimate points." Which? Um?! I guess sure that's a way to go. I know she's awful but I didn't expect quite that far of a leap right wing of her. It's a good thing they interviewed her and Tony Blair, noted Center-Left folks that are very well respected on the left and not at all totally despised and seen as conservatives.

Can't wait for that 2020 election where she will probably run again and lose even fucking harder thanks to her trying to appease fascists.

Oh my god you really are one of those "Everyone to the right of me is a nazi" kinda person.

Acknowledging that receiving a massive influx of immigrants in an uncontrolled and unmanaged manner might not be a good idea, is not fascist.

“The use of immigrants as a political device and as a symbol of government gone wrong, of attacks on one’s heritage, one’s identity, one’s national unity has been very much exploited by the current administration here,” she said.

Did you read the article you just posted?

(Cuddle friendly)
My O/O's