Interest Check - Final Fantasy Roleplays

Started by Gami, November 04, 2009, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gami

Hello everyone! A while ago (like some months ago) I got these random ideas for RP's. I got them during a time when I was totally into Final Fantasy again and originally planned to use a few of these ideas to write fan fics, but a think-through made me realize that they'd be equally fun and possibly more interesting as RP's!

So here are the three ideas: The Oppressed, which is set during the events of Final Fantasy VII; The Calamity, which is set 500 years after the events of Final Fantasy VII; and Only A Plank Between One And Perdition, which is a post-Final Fantasy VIII RP.

The idea is essentially to use the settings from the games and use our own characters to play out the game and see how different things would turn out. To help along with the change of direction, I've laid down a few "rules" - for instance, in The Oppressed, the main antagonist will always be Shinra.

The Oppressed - [VAN] - possibly and maybe [BON] and/or [NC-H]
A roleplay set during the events of Final Fantasy VII. Disregard the FF7 Compilation. Disregard the story and the characters of the game. This plot-centered RP focuses on two groups: Shinra Inc. and AVALANCHE, with minor focus on the remaining inhabitants of Midgar. (Note: I'd like certain characters to still be present in the game; President Shinra, Rufus, Sephiroth, the Turks, Don Corneo and a few other minor NPC's.)

The Calamity - [NA] or [VAN] with the possibility of [VAN-E] or [NC-E] for the Neo-Jenova character.
Takes place 500 years after the events of Final Fantasy VII. Only a few humans remain in the world, and the only human settlements are the two very small ones in Gongana and in the southern parts of Wutai Island. Only Vincent Valentine and Nanaki (Red XIII) will be present form the original cast. Very character-centric, but with a plot as well; another lifeform not unlike Jenova has made its way to earth. It's up to us to stop her... if we can.

Only A Plank Between One And Perdition - [NA] or [VAN]
Takes place an undecided amount of time (approx. 20-100 years) after the events of Final Fantasy VIII. An RP centered around both plot and characters. Once more, the Galbadian nation is rising in power, and a cold war between them and Esthar begins. Play as either a SeeD from a Garden, an officer of the G-Army, or any other type of character you'd like to play as. Certain plot devices have been reserved from the public eye - besides that, the RP is a sandbox.

Feel free to ask any question you'd like! This is just an interest check, to see which idea stirs the most interest. I'll take that idea and post a more fleshed-out thread for it, where you'll be able to sign up for it and all that jazz!

Mathim

I definitely like the idea of continuing FF8, I actually had a totally awesome idea for an after-story, like how FFX had its own sequel. Let me know if you want to discuss, it might make for an even better RP.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Rachubka

Though I didn't really like FFVIII, the dynamic of an academy for mercenaries spilling into an adventure like it did in the game was really a neat idea. I forget the exact details about what happened to SEED during the game, but if it's still a program, it would be neat to do that!

Just... I hope the RP doesn't have us sitting there fighting one monster, continuously drawing from it to get spells. I hated that so hard!

Mathim

That's why you're supposed to play Triple Triad and use Mag-RF to get magic from items you get from modding cards.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

DigitLninja

Quotes to Live by:
"The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they'll go" Sanae Hanekoma,The World Ends With You. for Nintendo DS

"A post should be like a mini skirt. Long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to keep interest." -Someone

oh's and oh's / Double A's Update 1/10 / Short Story:Memoirs of Renamon/ Hey [you], you should check out my 1 on 1's

NINJA VANISH! *disappears in a puff of smoke*

Rachubka

Baah, couldn't bother with the card games. I hated alllllll of the little side games EXCEPT for Blitzball in FFX. That was delicious. <3

Gami

Mathim - I already some plot details of the FF8 RP fleshed out, but send me a PM and we can discuss some things. I'd prefer not go too much in-depth as it may spoil some of the fun.

Rachubka - "Only A Plank..." was meant to put players basically in either a Garden to train as SeeDs or in the Galbadian Army. It's going to focus more on the political and military - so there won't be anyone battling a bunch of sorceresses, and all that boring stuff. Just strictly political - of course, with plenty of character involvement and depth. I love the premise of FF8, but I don't like how it shifted focus in the game. It's kind of hard to explain, but Only A Plank will hopefully take out the bad stuff from FF8.

DigitLninja - I'm hoping to keep the use of Gunblades to a minimum as that weapon is picked too often.

Oh, and this is supposed to be "free-form" so to speak. No battle scenes involving dice, numbers, stats or anything like that.

Mathim

I don't want just gunblades, I want more unique shit too. I thought it was awesome how Kiros had those Katal and no other game I've ever played has had anything like that (except FFX-2 with Rikku's thief blade things), and Ward used a spear not just for stabbing but for throwing, that was an amazing twist on an old favorite. I also want some new GFs, not just the old ones. Who's with me?

Gami

I have worked out a neat way for the Player Characters to use GF's. I've put quite some thought into it, so that area is covered. If all goes well, we'll have people playing both SeeD cadets/instructors/graduates and Galbadia soldiers of various ranks, or even someone who is neither. Action isn't necessarily the name of the game, after all ;)

Mathim

It seems like a sort of linear plot, though, if we already know the destination. I think there ought to be more twists and turns if we're going to really make it last.

Rachubka

Well, not quite. I think his description was rather vague enough to put many-a-twists into it. I'm sure things will develop slowly, leaving room for a number of things to happen between characters! And now that I think of it, I probably would have enjoyed the game more if the beginning SeeD stuff was extended. :O

Mathim

I'd like to keep some familiar faces though if possible, or maybe at least the kids of the last game's main characters. Game universes lose their spirit without a link to the protagonists.

Gami

Mathim: I suppose that's a bit of a personal opinion. I personally was/am much more intrigued by FF8's premise, and not so much its characters. I liked the majority of the cast, but I also feel that their presence may somehow hamper the RP experience...? I don't know, it's just me, personally. And, depending on how far in the future we're talking, there's a chance that some of the main characters are still alive - they just might be older... a lot older.

Anyway, I'm kind of just scouting around to see what RP people are most interested in. And so far, it seems RP #3 is taking the lead.

Mathim

Probably because I called attention to it. And if we did it, we'd still need one specific character to exist, if not as a playable, because there must always exist a Sorceress in that world, remember? So whether she's a friend or foe or imprisoned or free, needs to be decided.

Gami

Quote from: Mathim on November 04, 2009, 11:26:59 AM
Probably because I called attention to it. And if we did it, we'd still need one specific character to exist, if not as a playable, because there must always exist a Sorceress in that world, remember? So whether she's a friend or foe or imprisoned or free, needs to be decided.

I thought I'd leave that to the person interesting in playing the Sorceress. It doesn't matter to me or the story really what the Sorceress does. Her role being undetermined is just another dynamic that may change the course of the RP.

Mathim

Right. But we can't just leave that out of the story because she's the whole reason there's magic in the world in the first place.

Gami