Mercenaries 2: World in Flames.

Started by Inkidu, August 22, 2008, 07:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Its Pandemic, one of my favourite developers ever... makers of Mercs, Full Spectrum Warrior, Destroy All Humans and several others... I shed a tear when EA got their filthy claws into them  :'( them and Bioware as well... and their pushing hard to grab Take-Two as well.

ZK

EA is the next Microsoft, despite saying that, I actually happen to like a few of their games. Not all of them are crap.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

Not saying they all are, I was just a little peeved to see Pandemic bought out.

Avi

It's a sad fact that the video game industry is slowly turning into a mirror of the movie industry where a few mega companies own EVERYTHING.   Everything is dominated by money and frankly, studios like Pandemic, Take-Two, and others simply can't survive without the financial support of one of the goliaths.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

Very true, sadly... I'm completely fine with mergers like that, so that companies can stay afloat, but I'm NOT okay with the gigger company buying them messing with their work. Not saying EA will mess with Pandemics future projects, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did... things like rushing productions and unneeded spin offs.

Inkidu

Hey I thought Lucas Arts was running the Mercs series. They're already a big publisher, and honestly Mercs is the only Pandemic game I really really like. Not saying the other stuff is good but it's not my thing.
Destroy All Humans was fun but its novelty wore off fast.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

"Errr... they eat, with their MOUTHS?! I think I'm going to be violently ill..."

Inkidu

Did they use the same commercial in Australia because this was priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcJyCdbC08c&feature=related
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Is that the one where they display the stealthy approach and then the assault, then the crazy swede just shrugs and nukes them?

Inkidu

Nope. It's the "Oh no you didn't!" clip. Did the link not work?

Inkidu

Quote from: aviationrox on August 24, 2008, 10:28:01 PM
There was some weapon that they described in a preview that was a mini-nuke that burrowed underground before exploding.  I'm assuming it's the bunker buster from Mercs 1, just souped up.  "Guaranteed to take care of your gopher problem, or your money back!"  XD  Can't wait.  1 week left for the US.
Unless it causes Teenage Mutant Ninja Gophers!

Avi

Quote from: Inkidu on August 29, 2008, 05:43:10 PM
Unless it causes Teenage Mutant Ninja Gophers!

What would their tagline be?  "Heroes in a half-burrow"?  Lol

Sabby

I'm a Mercenary, but ya never paid me, oh no you didn't...

Avi

Alright... Mercs 2 has been released in North America.  Initial thoughts?

Sabby

I'll tell you when its released here in 5 days -__-

Aiden

This is the only game that I might go and buy, simply because I love the commercial they used.

That and I saw my friend play the first one, and I really liked the game.

Sabby

Its amazing how a few little sandbox features (buying different airstrikes, juggling faction status, ect) can help. Mercenaries 1 was a mediocre shooter that was made into Grade A Awesome Sauce with a few little extras. Mercs 2, from what I can see, is exactly the same game but with some more 'umf!' to it.

Inkidu

I like umf. I'm sure some of the major core game play is the same. That's just how it is.

Sabby

Some of the reviews are in. Majority seem to agree it could have used some more time in the oven. Buggy and unpolished, but still really fun.

Inkidu

The last game had its glitches. But hell even GTA 4 has some weird ones. Sandbox games are just prone.

Sabby

GTA4 had its glitches, yeah, but it didn't feel unfinished, and thats the vibe I'm getting for Mercs 2.

ZK

At least Mercenaries 2 feels more finished then Fable. :D
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Sabby

Inkidu

Fable was half a game. So ridiculously short.
Like Gears of War!

Sabby

I'm a 360 fan who DOESN'T like Gears of War. Who wants a picture? :)