News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlompNinja

Playing Arcania: Gothic 4 On my 360. I'm enjoying it which is good, as for months I'd completely lost the thrill from video games ;-;

Sabby

*shudders at the mention of Gothic 4* that is not a Gothic... it simply wears its name, as an insult to Gothic fans.

I would be playing Crysis at the moment, but as always, technology conspires against me :/ for some reason, the best mod for it ever, Gears of Crysis, seems to have totally disappeared from the internet with absolutely no explanation or alternate way of finding it, curiously just when I want the damn thing. But I could play it vanilla, right? Wrong. My screen is blue. I read up, says its the cable, which I believe, since I usually have to jiggle it a bit to make it the right colour again, but now it stays blue. Both sides are tightly screwed in, and nothing I do seems to fix it...

So Crysis, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Pathologic are only playable through a blue selephane filter and GTA4 is still not playable at all anyway.

I love my computer =D Every day is an adventure.

GlompNinja

It's not brilliant Sabby but hey I'm just happy to be able to spend more than 1/2 an hour playing a video game without hating it again. I haven't played the previous ones so I don't judge. And I hated GTA IV played it for like three days then put it back in the case and haven't touched it since.

Fieryone

Second Play-through of Super Robot Wars Z2, SD Gundam G Gen World, while trying to beat Tales of Symphonia.

Sabby

What is it with Japanese games having such long names? xD

Sabby

Haha. Cords are fixed. Good thing I used to have a Sega Megadrive, because all I had to do was blow into that shit and swing it around for a minute xD

Inkidu

Playing Crysis 2 mostly. That and ROMs lots of ROMs.

I think Crysis 2 is fun, I think it's a little disjointed in terms of plot, but nothing beats being out of ammo and power kicking a car into a baddie and killing them.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 22, 2011, 03:59:23 PM
I think Crysis 2 is fun, I think it's a little disjointed in terms of plot, but nothing beats being out of ammo and power kicking a car into a baddie and killing them.

Did you play the first game? Is your reaction, as it was mine, "what the hell does this have to do with the first game?"?

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 22, 2011, 04:30:59 PM
Did you play the first game? Is your reaction, as it was mine, "what the hell does this have to do with the first game?"?
Yeah, I did. I know the plot of that one, and it's not so much, "What's this got to do with it?" it was, "So what the hell are they doing to New York? Terraforming it?" They're not big on giving out plot points. Like where's the B point in my A to C line.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Never understood this personally... that transition between Crysis 1 and 2 doesn't seem as random as everyone makes it out to be. Dudes in super suits find aliens on island. Aliens begin invasion plan. Dudes in suits try to defend home. Home is New York.

nishi

Atm very into Castlevania: Symphony of the Nights and Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (never played them before!), I like them a lot. Soundtrack and the graphics are superb!

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 22, 2011, 04:50:01 PM
Never understood this personally... that transition between Crysis 1 and 2 doesn't seem as random as everyone makes it out to be. Dudes in super suits find aliens on island. Aliens begin invasion plan. Dudes in suits try to defend home. Home is New York.
It's not that. It's just I don't know, it doesn't somehow fit up right. Like why Prophet dies, why Alcatraz. It seems loosely cobbled together and maybe that's what they're going for, but I found Bulletstorm's more solid. :\

Sabby

That... also doesn't make sense to me xD That was explained as well, and didn't seem unclear to me.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
The reason the suits were designed to act like an organic system is because the creator knew in advance of the aliens and may or may not have taken some cues from their biological weapons when making the suits, but their whole purpose was to one day come into contact with alien tissue, halt it, defeat it and change it. Those cutscenes with the alien tissue being quarantined? Its not just for looking awesome, the symbolism is intention.

But its still an incredibly dangerous biological weapon, capable of destroying a human body and reducing it to soup in an instant when deployed right, so even the suit can't completely protect you. Thats why Prohpet is fucked up. He carried the alien weapon in his suit, and by extension himself, but the conversion process took longer then he could hold out. Thats why he had to grab the nearest unconscious soldier and stuff him inside. Without the converted biological weapon, the aliens will win.

That, and I like how they actually made the invasion plot a bit more sensible then 'everyone gets out the ship and starts shooting the place up'. Releasing a plague to make society collapse, bringing out the military force to deploy super weapons to do the same plague, only in a planet sweeping, continent clearing, body liquifying wave of extinction that leaves the actual planet and themselves totally unharmed.

Inkidu

Well, it's been forever since I've played the first Crysis, but I don't think that that one had it's whole plot points pretty much given in the in-between action segment loading screens. This kind of makes it feel broken up even if it isn't. Little things like that  can really screw up the plotting of a game. I mean, the story is solid, the action is epic, it just doesn't seem to be sticking with me is all like the first game.

Hemingway

The problem with the story of Crysis is that none of what happened in Crysis 2 was even hinted at in the first game. It's so obvious that what they did in Crysis 2 wasn't planned at the time they made Crysis. Which makes sense, of course, new writer and all. But the fact it's so obvious makes it particularly jarring.

Quote from: Inkidu on June 22, 2011, 05:02:08 PM
It's not that. It's just I don't know, it doesn't somehow fit up right. Like why Prophet dies, why Alcatraz. It seems loosely cobbled together and maybe that's what they're going for, but I found Bulletstorm's more solid. :\

Bulletstorm actually had a solid story, though. I mean, it's a pulpy space opera, but that aside, it's excellent!

Also, I was just playing L.A. Noire, and my game froze. If this is my xbox dying again, I will be so pissed off.

Knightfox

Batman Arkham Asylum (love The Dark Knight), Halo 3 (trying to finish heroic)
You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me.  Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded

Sabby

Hemingway

Hmm, so ... I haven't finished L. A. Noire, but I have some thoughts on it all the same.

Firstly, driving in that game is a mess. I mean, cars are way too fast and all that, behaving in ways even modern race cars wouldn't. For me, just the inaccuracy is somewhat of a detriment. But it's also bad because it makes car chases a true pain. Tailing people in cars, too, is a pain. It has never worked in any game I've played, so they would've been better off making something else. I mean, you can't get too close or too far away, that's fine. Also, you can't drive recklessly. But if they stop at a red light, you can ( and in fact have no choice but to ) stop in the middle of the street, because that's not going to draw attention. Right.

My other major complaint is that the way the game works, the way it tracks clues and evidence, it just relies too much on the player. The descriptions of the things you find just need to give some more hint as to what they're supposed to prove. Not because it's too hard to figure out, but sometimes you get multiple pieces of evidence pointing toward the same thing, but only one of them is right. It's very apparent in the case I'm on right now, where I have something like three pieces of evidence that could all indicate the person is lying ( or, I should say, that all prove it ), but I still managed to pick the wrong one. It's really just a matter of making it more accessible.

Those two things really are the worst things I can say about the game. I find it immensely entertaining, and I really like the pace of the game. It doesn't work like normal games where you're just playing one story, but rather each case is an individual story, and usually short enough to be played through in one sitting. I find it easier to pick the game up again after not having played for a while.

I also have to give them kudos for their characters. I was worried they'd all be disposable cardboard cutouts as in Red Dead Redemption, but ... no, they're actual characters. I like that. I still think they could've done a better job of certain things, and I would've liked more emphasis on the characters and the overarching story, but ... still, I'm pleasantly surprised. Cole, in particular, is a great character. A character with a stick up his ass, that I still like. It's strange.

Wolfy

Anyone use Gamefly?...I was wondering how their service is. o3o

dready

Nope.

But I hear it's pretty good from my canadian buddy.

Tonalberry

Quote from: Wolfy on June 23, 2011, 03:55:28 AM
Anyone use Gamefly?...I was wondering how their service is. o3o

I do, it's pretty good.  The list of games offered is pretty big, not just new games but older ones as well.  They don't have every game ever made for a system, I'm sure, but it's still pretty big.   And you're not always guaranteed to get the next game in your queue, due to availability, especially with brand-new games, but I never found that to be much of a problem.

Hemingway

Paying more taxes than I should and getting money back? Why, thank you. I can afford any game I want now. FEAR3? I believe I will.

Inkidu

I realized something from Crysis 2. Constantly spawning baddies has always been a bad idea. When I try to go all hardened-armor commando with a detached fifty cal they just keep coming so I puss out and go stealth, which really just breaks the later game. Also, Pingers can just go rot in hell. Rot. In. Hell.