World Building Game

Started by skeevethemagnificent, January 26, 2015, 10:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeevethemagnificent

This is a little game / experiment I want to try. Rules: Answer the previous question about this made up world, then ask the next one. Since this is the first post I'll give myself a starting question:

What is the name of this planet?

The name of this planet is Valhallan.

Who lives here?

Sir Percival the Gallant

Valhallan is home to five principal sentient races. All have been in existence for less than a million years, and much (95%) of the planet is uninhabited (as far as they know).

The Swuist, a race of highly intelligent and relatively friendly bipedal chameleon-like creatures, whose cities blend into the jungle canopies of most of the tropical regions of the world.

The Dzern-oju, a race of beautiful aquatic anthropoids with pearly scales and gossamer like fins. They look down somewhat on surface-dwellers and regard the ocean as their domain, resenting others who sailing on top of it. Since they effectively control most of the ocean, they exact tolls and other demands on those who would.

The Mban-oju, freshwater cousins of the Dzern-oju, similar in appearance but with bright scales. Unlike their cousins, they are less concerned about domains and tend to keep to themselves.

The Aulstatch, a race of furry antlered hyena-like creatures who inhabit the temperate zones. They have a nomadic, tribal culture and have a strong sense of honour but are also prone to fits of rage and madness, especially in the summer.

The Vaské, something like a nightmarish cross between a rat and a snake. They burrow through the lands of the world (and if the rumours are to be believed, under the sea as well) and pop out to raid surface settlements food, slaves and other goods (especially Swuist technology). Filled with an insatiable hunger for just about anything organic, their society is violent and anarchical, usually under the control of a strongarm boss.

A few of the Swuist also know of the existence of the Abo, an intelligent fungus that spreads over about 10 square miles in the soil on one lone tropical island. Attempts to communication with the Abo have been very limited so far.

There may be other sentient species on Valhallan, but their existence are unknown. There is otherwise relative world peace between all the races apart from the Vaské.

My question: How many continents are there on Valhallan, and what are some of its primary planetary aspects (e.g. atmosphere, revolution around the nearby star, axis tilt, etc).