Just a couple questions / issues...

Started by Haruki, May 22, 2010, 02:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haruki

Rarely do I need help, but ....now I need help!

My Shoutbox went poof, and I'm not sure if it's my own doing (i maybe turned it off sometime ago and forgot how to get it back now), or if this is something that's disabled to certain members.  (highly doubtful, unless one gets banned from it obviously, but I haven't used it much and certainly wouldn't do anything in it to get banned).

How do I get this back?

This isn't so much a question, but a bug.  URLs don't seem to be working correctly in the O/O V2.0 format.  Several times without success I've tried to link to my website where I hold all my RP goodies and such, and it does something like this:
Instead of
http://site.hostname.com/site/index.htm

it does this:
~ /site/index.htm

Just thought you guys should know that.

Finally, the last question is of imagery.  So long as they are not graphic (which nothing I have is graphic or fall outside the guidelines of what's allowable and what's not), is it okay to use images in my request threads?  It would allow me to spruce up profiles I put together.  Just images I used for my own characters, not all the stupid 'dressing up' that seems to be 'in' at other RP communities.

Thanks much for any assistance
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

HockeyGod

Quote from: Haruki on May 22, 2010, 02:32:20 PM
My Shoutbox went poof, and I'm not sure if it's my own doing (i maybe turned it off sometime ago and forgot how to get it back now), or if this is something that's disabled to certain members.  (highly doubtful, unless one gets banned from it obviously, but I haven't used it much and certainly wouldn't do anything in it to get banned).

How do I get this back?

You may have inadvertently hid it. Up the right hand corner there is a V icon. If it is in the V position the SB is hidden. Click on it and it should appear. The other option is to access it in full chat at https://elliquiy.com/forums/chat/

Quote from: Haruki on May 22, 2010, 02:32:20 PM
Finally, the last question is of imagery.  So long as they are not graphic (which nothing I have is graphic or fall outside the guidelines of what's allowable and what's not), is it okay to use images in my request threads?  It would allow me to spruce up profiles I put together.  Just images I used for my own characters, not all the stupid 'dressing up' that seems to be 'in' at other RP communities.

There is no rule against it that I could find, though staff may clarify. I've seen them before.

Haruki

Hmm, weird, I don't see a 'V' icon.  Then again I'm using Firefox.  I'll check with IE and see if that gives me any luck.

I'll get a hold of one of the mods about the images.  They're all of the anime and / or drawn style.  I tend to keep away from realstic images, because I have trouble with details due to my sight.  As such, I wouldn't be able to tell if (like on a model site or something) if the persons are of age or not.

Though the whole anime gig in recent years has also posed problems in this regard.  Those folks over in that Far East island nation seem to love making their characters look so damn young even though their bios may say otherwise.  (ie: chara 'looks' under 16, but is 16+ according to the official bio).

For that though, I typically attempt to stay away from what is coined 'moe' shows and such for RP material.....canon or original otherwise.

Thanks for the rapid reply.
=====
My Introduction
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====

Haibane

I'm using Firefox and here is how the V that alxnjsh mentioned looks when the SB is closed.

Haruki

Ah yes, there it is.  I was about to say that I found it.

Like I said, my sight isn't the absolute greatest.  The light blue gradient was hiding it.  I could make it out better with the old layout the site used before they did the upgrade.

Thanks again. ^-^
=====
My Introduction
=====

Ket

As long as the images follow site rules, you can post them in your request threads. If the thread will end up being image heavy, you may want to post them as thumbnails or links, just to keep loading times down.

I wish I could answer your O/Os V2 question, but I have barely a clue how it works. I'm sure one of the more technically inclined staff will be around shortly to answer it.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

HockeyGod

I'm sorry I didn't read that well enough. If you're referring to the ons/offs system (my role playing preferences) please see the following note (bold part in particular):

Please do not place any sort of contact information or external links here. Use it to expand on or Ons and Offs, on yourself as a roleplayer, place a list of current games, a list of current cravings, characters, basically anything you want that you feel will assist in you finding a partner.

Source: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=67080.0

Haruki

Well that explains it.  They basically disabled URL code.

I understand why they have these rules, or am beginning to.  Other RP communities allow all this stuff, but who knows what's going on 'behind the scenes'....the stuff they keep hidden to avoid bad news from getting around, including but not limited to, stalking, predators, ID thieves, and other such nasties.

I haven't put any identifying information on my pages, but it's hosted by Google Sites (I don't have time or money or the ability to host it on some remote server under my own domain with no ads).  Google thrives off ads......ads, and more ads, which I know if I were running a site like E!, I would NOT want their 'crawlers' all over the damn place.

Almost makes me feel like I should just pull down my RP website and just pluck and choose what I want to do, and present it here in the requests.

Not that it would be a loss.  There was a time where building websites to present characters and ideas was commonplace, but nowadays thanks to people having not as much time, and also the mobile connectivity people use to come here (as well as just use the 'net in general), most sites hosted by the likes of Google Sites, just don't display correctly.

Back to the drawing board for me I suppose.  I've created myself a discombobulated mess.
=====
My Introduction
=====

HockeyGod

Quote from: Haruki on May 22, 2010, 04:36:50 PM
Back to the drawing board for me I suppose.  I've created myself a discombobulated mess.

Think of the fun you'll have recreating stuff  ;D I loved doing my O/O thread even though I had one elsewhere. It's fun  ;)

Haibane

Haruki, one of the problems of a remote set of O/Os and preferences is that I would not know how recently it had been updated, or if the O/Os are even yours. Anyone can link to anything I guess. Once you leave Elliquiy nothing is certain. If you create an O/O thread here (in the gender specific forums) or use the new O/Os system, everyone knows its definitely you and they can see proof of when it was last updated.

Haruki

@ Haibane:  You do bring up a good point there, which slipped my mind with my slight bit of frustration I was feeling.  Even though "I" know "I" made my site the way I want it and the content is the way I want to portray it, there's no way to prove it.  I can put a big GIF of a flashing neon sign as the header with it flashing "ALL CONTENT MADE UP BY ME", but ...thanks to the way the Internet works, you have lots of liars and leeches out there who can (and do often) steal things.

Basically, what you're saying (and what may help me in reorganizing things) is to work things into a format where I can just post my ideas / characters / cravings / etc here at E!, without any need to link to some other pages off-site.

@ alxnjsh:  I have an O/O thread set up already, but going with the above, I may just drop it and put a new reorganized one up.  I'm going to look at others to get ideas and inspiration as to how to set things up.  I fear, I get too wordy with things (a flaw of mine).....sometimes getting to the point works best for some things.

I do appreciate the help and suggestions you guys.  I've just had a rough week....lost RP partners, my ISP not working right forcing a reformat of my drive.  Guess I just had a bunch of pent up frustration there.
=====
My Introduction
=====

Haibane

*hugs Haruki because of lost RP partners*

I feel your pain, it can be upsetting when a good game fails for no apparent reason. In my experience though, having had that happen numerous times (and more significantly had to do that to a number of other players myself) I know there are, in 99% of cases very good and higher priority reasons why players stop playing. You just have to file it under experience and move on.

Er... sorry, OT now. I'll stop there.