Rookshaven Academy - Recruiting All Characters

Started by Anouk Daae, November 20, 2017, 07:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persephone325

Quote from: Anouk Daae on November 20, 2017, 08:17:22 PM
It can be humanoids like mermaids. Werewolves would fall closer to Beast Binding. Vampires, Succubi/Incubi (demons and undead) are too close to Necromancy, so I would have to veto those.
Also keep in mind that Mythics weren't allowed into the school until 2013, so the oldest Mythic students would still be in primary school. Teacher positions as Mythic are available though, as a way to break apart the stigma and mystery surrounding Mythics. Another bit to keep in mind - Mythics originate in South East Asia, so it may be better to choose from mythical creatures and beings from folklore in that region.

I understand. I was just throwing out random examples I could think of off the top of my head.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Steir

This idea interests me.

Is it possible for characters to originate from any part of the world?

Been thinking if it were possible for an upstart clan to attempt grooming offsprings to have their preferred types of magic (for example arranging a marriage between a light mage and a dark mage, and then training their offspring to see if they can manage the use of both magic). Would this idea be probable in the setting? What are the possible complications for such a combination?

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Yugishogun on November 20, 2017, 10:26:17 PM
This game looks quite interesting. (Not to mention, Angie, Sephie, and Dhi are here :) ) I think I'll join. However, may I ask how the abilities of the cross-blooded work at the start of character creation? I'd like to have my meek mage to have a stoic golem guardian.

With the cross-blooded characters, they would start at birth with an ability to access 1 ability from each class of their parentage, albeit neither ability would be overly strong. However, by the time they reach puberty (11-14, depending on the character), one ability would dissipate until they can feel it but not access it while the other ability would grow in power. For this reason, cross-breeding is frowned upon among the older, more powerful families - it dilutes the bloodlines as well as the powers. That said, if I'm understanding what you plan to do, your character sounds 100% plausible.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: firepyre on November 20, 2017, 11:01:41 PM
Hmm. Interesting.

A couple of questions.

Would playing a character who can only use one power, but is a prodigy with it be ok?

Just to clarify, are we playing as school students or Uni students?

If university students are ok, could we play older students say 25-30, who is doing some kind of postgrad, and maybe doing some tutoring on the side?

And probably most importantly, how is magic seen? Is the curriculum based around say, battle magic(with a lot of infighting or w/e going on in secret), or more aimed to be a more mundane everyday type of thing?

I'd love to do something around ferrokinesis. Exactly what depends on the answers to the questions, but I envision some kind of blademancer type of concept.

Ok, so as writers, I hate to squish creativity, but there has to be limits.
To answer your questions, I would have to veto a prodigy character. Even with one ability, still no.
The group is for later secondary school (American high school) aged teens through to university.
I would prefer it if student ages were capped at 26, with older characters taking the roles of teachers.
It sounds like you're setting your character idea up to be something of a lone snowflake-y wolf, which I would really like to avoid since it tends to create stagnant plots in groups.
Among the classes that students take, after they've declared their abilities, specialty classes are added to their curriculum.
  Students take classes on the history of their specific abilities. They also take classes teaching them how to control their abilities, how to use them to protect themselves and others.
Battle magic is not taught, but perhaps if we ask nicely, we can convince our resident PE teacher to start a club or a team that teaches how to use abilities on the offense (in a safe and controlled facility with healing mages on staff).
One big issue within the game is that the Council/Government is trying to keep a very tight hold on the mage community. They wouldn't take kindly to mages learning how to battle, preparing for a war.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Steir on November 21, 2017, 01:19:55 AM
This idea interests me.

Is it possible for characters to originate from any part of the world?

Been thinking if it were possible for an upstart clan to attempt grooming offsprings to have their preferred types of magic (for example arranging a marriage between a light mage and a dark mage, and then training their offspring to see if they can manage the use of both magic). Would this idea be probable in the setting? What are the possible complications for such a combination?

Characters can come from any part of the world, provided they speak English. The royal families are from around Europe, with the exception of the Moreau who migrated from North-Western Africa and settled into France in the early 1600s. Mythics originate from South East Asia. Necromancers from America. If you can work into your backstory how your character and their family got to where eventually came from, then I see no qualms with them coming from anywhere.

Regarding your plan to wreck my precious world that no one's even started playing in yet, yeah ok fine. I can get behind an upstart clan attempting to overthrow the current order. Cross-classed mages, regardless of training, would not be able to use abilities from both sides after puberty. In order for a plan like that to work, you would need generations of cross-classed with the same blend of abilities in their early life to mate over and over, within the same genetic family for at least 6 generations. Not saying it's impossible, just really unlikely. Martha with Photokinesis and shadow camouflage in her early life would need to mate with Ted who had light absorbtion and light mimicy in his early life. That baby would have light absorbtion and photokinesis in early life. Baby Jane would need to mate someone blood related to her that had light mimicry and shadow camouflage. And so on, resulting in a very inbred science experiment. Then the clan would need to replicate that experiment several times over with other pairings in order to have enough people to to the kind of harm, I think you're thinking of doing.
It's an interesting concept, and I like where your head is at.

Yukina

Quote from: Anouk Daae on November 21, 2017, 06:50:26 AM
With the cross-blooded characters, they would start at birth with an ability to access 1 ability from each class of their parentage, albeit neither ability would be overly strong. However, by the time they reach puberty (11-14, depending on the character), one ability would dissipate until they can feel it but not access it while the other ability would grow in power. For this reason, cross-breeding is frowned upon among the older, more powerful families - it dilutes the bloodlines as well as the powers. That said, if I'm understanding what you plan to do, your character sounds 100% plausible.

Thank you for explaining. I'll have a sheet up soon. :)

firepyre

Quote from: Anouk Daae on November 21, 2017, 07:07:35 AM
Ok, so as writers, I hate to squish creativity, but there has to be limits.
To answer your questions, I would have to veto a prodigy character. Even with one ability, still no.
The group is for later secondary school (American high school) aged teens through to university.
I would prefer it if student ages were capped at 26, with older characters taking the roles of teachers.
It sounds like you're setting your character idea up to be something of a lone snowflake-y wolf, which I would really like to avoid since it tends to create stagnant plots in groups.
Among the classes that students take, after they've declared their abilities, specialty classes are added to their curriculum.
  Students take classes on the history of their specific abilities. They also take classes teaching them how to control their abilities, how to use them to protect themselves and others.
Battle magic is not taught, but perhaps if we ask nicely, we can convince our resident PE teacher to start a club or a team that teaches how to use abilities on the offense (in a safe and controlled facility with healing mages on staff).
One big issue within the game is that the Council/Government is trying to keep a very tight hold on the mage community. They wouldn't take kindly to mages learning how to battle, preparing for a war.

Ouch! Snowflake?

Harsh, but fair enough. I was hoping for something a bit more... edgy.

Yukina

Player Name: Yugishogun

Character Name: Sakurako Oba

Character Nickname (if applicable): Halfbreed (Commonly used by the racist mages that encounter her), Saku-chan (A nickname used by her deceased family)

Grade Level: First Year of Uni

Mage Class: Earth Binding/Dark Binding

Sub-abilities: Golem Creation / Umbraportation (Dissipated)

Brief History: Sakurako's family wasn't exactly "tolerated" by her hometown of Odaiba due to her father's dark lineage and the odd abundance of mages in the Aomi District they resided in. Hence, while the meek bookworm was aware she could use shadows for a personal door at a time in her life, she usually feigned from using it. What she more focused on was creating a "friend", as those seemed to be in short supply. So the soft-spoken wallflower created "Kakuri", a golem she personally perfected over time to be her personal guardian and companion of a nice six feet tall. She happened to be a big help when the racism of several mages in the area grew to the point of setting her family's home ablaze at the age of 18. The authorities read it as arson, while the offending casters just pinned it off with something related to the rebellion and other forms of poor justification. Without the chance to even give her parents a proper burial, she fled the country with her only friend as she didn't know exactly who she could trust on the island anymore. She applied for Rookshaven mostly for the purposes of a some room and board more than anything.

Kakuri

Anouk Daae

Quote from: firepyre on November 21, 2017, 07:44:50 AM
Ouch! Snowflake?

Harsh, but fair enough. I was hoping for something a bit more... edgy.

Apologies. My concern is that the character you appear to be toying with would be too different and not have a place within a group story. Originality is exquisite and encouraged. The overall idea of a ferrokinesis blade master is a really cool take, that I hope you pursue. I understand, however, if you feel this SL will pigeon-hole you too much.

Quote from: Yugishogun on November 21, 2017, 08:20:51 AM
Player Name: Yugishogun

Character Name: Sakurako Oba

Welcome, Yugishon! Glad to have you.

Angie

Player Name: Angie

Character Name: Johnathan Hodsen

Character Nickname (if applicable): Earthbreaker

Grade Level: Teacher

Mage Class: Earth Binder

Sub-abilities: Geokinesis, Terrakinesis (Martial Arts training happened instead of learning/manifesting/somehow gaining a third ability)

Brief History: Johnathan's family history is muddy, but what is known is that his ancestors fled to China during the first rebellion. No one is quite sure why, though it is suspected that a child was recently born and the move was made for protection. As for Johnathan himself, he spent more time practicing more physical disciplines instead of practicing his magic, to his parents eternal disappointment. However, with the rise of the internet, his talents both for Earth Binding (he did learn, just not as quickly or as much) and physical prowess got him noticed by the administration of Rookshaven, who offered him a job. He has graciously accepted, though he has no idea what he's getting himself into with the political situation.

Second draft, should be better then the first.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Anouk Daae

Yukina

Dhi

Could aerokinesis (air binding) be used to affect music? I'd like to write a character whose magic is musical in nature, but I'm not sure which element to plug her into.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Dhi on November 21, 2017, 01:05:23 PM
Could aerokinesis (air binding) be used to affect music? I'd like to write a character whose magic is musical in nature, but I'm not sure which element to plug her into.

Could you elaborate what you mean by "effect music?"

Dhi

Sure! A vocal musician masters the instrument of her voice by controlling how air leaves her body, right? I'd like to apply the same kind of technique to someone who plays an instrument, influencing the air around her instrument to create new harmonics and bend acoustics into sounds that are supernatural, but not in any way dangerous.

Dhi

I'd like to write a student who plays a guzheng

and transforms the sharp chords into eddies of sound.

Crash

This looks interesting.  *bookmarked for future consideration.*

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Dhi on November 21, 2017, 02:23:23 PM
Sure! A vocal musician masters the instrument of her voice by controlling how air leaves her body, right? I'd like to apply the same kind of technique to someone who plays an instrument, influencing the air around her instrument to create new harmonics and bend acoustics into sounds that are supernatural, but not in any way dangerous.

it might be the rum, but I dig this shit. if you can write it, you can play it. Go forth!

Steir

Quote from: Anouk Daae on November 21, 2017, 07:27:30 AM
Characters can come from any part of the world, provided they speak English. The royal families are from around Europe, with the exception of the Moreau who migrated from North-Western Africa and settled into France in the early 1600s. Mythics originate from South East Asia. Necromancers from America. If you can work into your backstory how your character and their family got to where eventually came from, then I see no qualms with them coming from anywhere.

Regarding your plan to wreck my precious world that no one's even started playing in yet, yeah ok fine. I can get behind an upstart clan attempting to overthrow the current order. Cross-classed mages, regardless of training, would not be able to use abilities from both sides after puberty. In order for a plan like that to work, you would need generations of cross-classed with the same blend of abilities in their early life to mate over and over, within the same genetic family for at least 6 generations. Not saying it's impossible, just really unlikely. Martha with Photokinesis and shadow camouflage in her early life would need to mate with Ted who had light absorbtion and light mimicy in his early life. That baby would have light absorbtion and photokinesis in early life. Baby Jane would need to mate someone blood related to her that had light mimicry and shadow camouflage. And so on, resulting in a very inbred science experiment. Then the clan would need to replicate that experiment several times over with other pairings in order to have enough people to to the kind of harm, I think you're thinking of doing.
It's an interesting concept, and I like where your head is at.

>:3c

Let's see how this works then. It just happens that the picture has lots of black and white in it. Let me know if this idea needs any adjustments. ;)

Player Name: Steir

Character Name: Jonathan Zhou/Zhou Yang Guang

Character Nickname (if applicable): Ah-Yang by his family, or just Yang or Jon for everyone else

Grade Level: First Year of University

Mage Class: Light Binder (officially)

Sub-abilities: Photokinesis, umbraportation

Brief History:
Jonathan hails from a long line of mages from China that belonged to a clan better known as the Dao Congregation. The clan was most known for cultivating great mages of the country through the ages, and less known for a complex breeding program that involved crossbreeding of mages of various talents in an attempt to overcome the limitation of mages being limited to a single magic type. Jonathan happens to be one of a handful of children from the congregation to first manifest this trait, hailing from a family whose lineage involved the extensive crossbreeding between light and dark mages.

While the young man's entry into Rookshaven Academy has political motives from his clan (to show off how superior magic from the clan was compared to others among many things), Jonathan was simply more than happy for the change of scenery. Most of his life was spent in rigorous training and tutelage to ensure he could use both of his abilities that he never had the chance to do anything fun during his childhood. He sees this move as a chance for him to loosen up and experience things he didn't get a chance to back home.

TheBlackThrone

I'm going to apply for Spirit/Ivanov if you'll have me.  :-) I only have less than an hour so I may not get a CS up in time, but I definitely will later today.

I have a question.

1. What is the date that this game takes place?

You say Modern Day. Are you using 2017?
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Paladin101

Interested! Think I will put together an air mage, aerokinesis and flight, for consideration later. :) Thinking someone who loves new sights and experiences, learning new things, a gypsy soul that drifts on the winds he conjures, which makes sitting still for school a real challenge.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: Steir on November 21, 2017, 10:13:00 PM
>:3c

Let's see how this works then. It just happens that the picture has lots of black and white in it. Let me know if this idea needs any adjustments. ;)

Player Name: Steir

Character Name: Jonathan Zhou/Zhou Yang Guang

Character Nickname (if applicable): Ah-Yang by his family, or just Yang or Jon for everyone else

Grade Level: First Year of University

Mage Class: Light Binder (officially)

Sub-abilities: Photokinesis, umbraportation

Brief History:
Jonathan hails from a long line of mages from China that belonged to a clan better known as the Dao Congregation. The clan was most known for cultivating great mages of the country through the ages, and less known for a complex breeding program that involved crossbreeding of mages of various talents in an attempt to overcome the limitation of mages being limited to a single magic type. Jonathan happens to be one of a handful of children from the congregation to first manifest this trait, hailing from a family whose lineage involved the extensive crossbreeding between light and dark mages.

While the young man's entry into Rookshaven Academy has political motives from his clan (to show off how superior magic from the clan was compared to others among many things), Jonathan was simply more than happy for the change of scenery. Most of his life was spent in rigorous training and tutelage to ensure he could use both of his abilities that he never had the chance to do anything fun during his childhood. He sees this move as a chance for him to loosen up and experience things he didn't get a chance to back home.

Out of curiosity, are you playing a character that has already been through the six generations of inbreeding to create a dual-class mage?
If so, I'm sorry I can't approve this character.

Anouk Daae

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on November 22, 2017, 04:58:00 AM
I'm going to apply for Spirit/Ivanov if you'll have me.  :-) I only have less than an hour so I may not get a CS up in time, but I definitely will later today.

I have a question.

Sounds good, just specify somewhere in your app that you'd like your character to be an heir to the Ivanov royal family.
The SL takes place in present day.

Kathyan

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on November 22, 2017, 04:58:00 AM

I have a question.

Oh that should be interesting :) having two members of the same royal family, maybe competing for the heir title. I assume the Ivanov family is big enough so they are not necessarily are closely related right?

In the meantime here is my application, let me know if something needs changing.

Player Name: Kathyan

Character Name: Dominika Ivanov

Character Nickname (if applicable): Princess, Domme

Grade Level: Last year of high school but already looking into the sororities of the university

Mage Class: Spirit Magic

Sub-abilities: Psychic Manipulation, Psychic Shield and Attack

Brief History:
With her being an heir to the Ivanov Royalty and her family having always being so close to the czars it was expected of Dominika to be as arrogant and conceited as she was. Her own magical ability to influence others further contributed to this, or that's if they allowed to use it more freely but at home she had always been repressed, for her own safety they said, not allowing her to practice her magic with the freedom she wanted. To that it should be added that after the rebellion broke out the Ivanov wanted to protect their heirs thus not letting Dominika go out to the outside world so it was a double blessing for her when she was taken to the academy. In there she would instantly find her niche as a popular, though bitchy, student who could get away with almost anything that she wanted.

TheBlackThrone

We chose the same skills lol. I'll change his skills up. I have the CS in a post on preview. I just haven't posted it yet because of YouTube.

He is also 21.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings