Where did you start RPing?

Started by BruceTheCat, September 18, 2012, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: National Acrobat on September 20, 2012, 06:01:14 AM
Ah, another Goand.net vet!

Yes, I had several awesome games there, and ran a couple. Good times, good times, and some great folks.

Yeah, that was the first incarnation of my modern hero pc. Val was so much fun in angelboi's game.

Maegnis

I started roleplaying on MSN years ago before the woman I was doing it showed me to Gaiaonline.
Place is getting somewhat stale in quality though so I'm settling in here too.

imran102

My first time was in the Battleon Forums, which is where I learned the basics of RPing, then at Nobstudio Forums I made my first RP, and now I'm here.

DudelRok

Arguably that was my backyard when I was around 3 or 4, if you mean in a more "traditional sense" then that was cantr.net which is a, well I'm hesitant to use the word "game" but it's sorta intended to be a player-only (no NPCs) world that's heavily RP based. Unfortunately the game's mechanics are too MUD, and things are strangely organized in terms of "time" within game. Bottom Line: The entire game requires you to babysit it 24/7. Slight issue with the very small community, too. Lots of "big fish in a small pond" kinda deal. The game is also mostly Polish (now) so that makes in-game playing a bit difficult if you don't know, or aren't learning, Polish.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Teo Torriatte

I started tabletop in middle school, with D&D and Star Frontiers. I used to sit at the "geek table" during lunch, and there was almost always some form of roleplaying going on. So much fun, heh.

For online rp, I got my start on an old site called Irony Games. It was a place where you could advertise email games and such, back before yahoo groups, when eGroups was the standard for such things. Then when that site went belly up, I switched to various yahoo groups, and that's when I got my first taste of erotic rp. I've been insatiably addicted ever since.  ;D

Madriv

Started with friends when I was a kid, then some WoD tabletop and LARPs. I really got hooked on RPing in the World of Warcraft MMORPG  (finding people via Darknest). Good times.

Naiah

Started on LOTRplaza.com, Lord of the Rings based forum about 10 years ago. Got hooked on rp'ing for life there, even though I am not there anymore.

Star Safyre

My first time?  Vampire: the Masqurade larp in 1997 or 1998.  I couldn't resist the chance to hang around in goth clothes and smoke clove cigarettes for any reason.

From there, I moved to D&D 3d when it came out, which was my first table top experience.

Online, I did a couple nights in an AOL chat, but I didn't do anything "seriously" until World of Warcraft.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Atmosk

I believe it was in 2007 that I first started. Bored with my old server in World of Warcraft, I made a character on a Roleplaying server. I was utterly clueless when I showed up, but from a stroke of luck I landed into a newly formed RP guild. The guild master was patient with me, putting up with my steady learning. Bless her.
I got somewhat proficient, and gained a new view point in the philosophy of Roleplaying when I joined the oldest form of LARPing know to man.
The Theatre! **Adjusts his 16th century ruff.**
I played a few small parts in my high schools plays, and learned a a lot about playing the part of a character. Melding what I learned with my RPs, I jumped around to several other places online, searching for new and exciting forms of RP. I was on a vampire RP forum for awhile (Not the sparkly kind.), found some partners over IMs to experiment with and jumped from RP server to RP server over WoW.

Trystia

As far as -online- roleplaying, I started in 1994, on a variety of different MUDs. I would be hard-pressed to identify the first MUD I actually RPed on though, since the concept of there being more to the games than killing monsters and chatting with people came to me a bit slowly at that tender age.

SinfulAngel

I got my start role playing on Neopets in 2002. All innocent and fun just being creative. Met a boy and we took it to msn messenger. From there I went to yahoo, I mainly just role played (at the time what i thought was cybering) with friends from various games (starcraft, WoW, Mech Warrior) At 17 I found yahoo chat rooms and was in awe of the potential and people.

Then I did a good search just over a year ago for role playing and found the gloriousness of E. So all together i've been role playing for 10 years give or take a few months from life needing my attention.

Updated Unicorn 1/24/17
      Active stories ~ 5  Post time frame 1-5 days

Lady Grimm

Ha! Like a few others here, I started on Neopets about 10 years ago. I was just clicking through until I ended up on the roleplaying board. Mostly camp, high school, and Harry Potter at that time. To be fair, that was the only thing ever on offer, haha. If anyone tried to set up anything else, they'd end up pretty lonely because the roleplay would end up ignored.

While on Neopets, I found myself really loving Harry Potter so from there I ended up on the Harry Potter forums. Side note to anyone familiar with the Harry Potter forums, I found out a while back that the place STILL exists. The WB website stopped providing links to it, but it remained open. Recently, they have re-added the link to the forum on the site. It looks exactly the same as it did 10 years ago. Sadly, it does seem that they've cleared out a lot of the old posts. It is still nice to look over the board for the sake of nostalgia, though. And you can still find people roleplaying on it!

Anyways, on the Harry Potter boards, I found people linking to offsite Harry Potter roleplay forums on proboards and invisionfree. They were full boards where you'd create a character and that character would basically live their life at Hogwarts. There were even board-wide plots that created an alternate history or followed the book timelines. It was great fun.

From those I went on to different fandoms that had their own dedicated invisionfree boards, and eventually to other boards similar to this one filled with one-shots of every genre. Then I finally ended up here!

Salvation

I got started in role play with table top stuff that we did from D&D and other systems. I also used to write stories as a kid about everything from my fantasy characters, my take on comic book titles and settings, and this continued to online where I used to do some RP on boards back when AOL first came out. I was on there for a few years with Rhydin (laugh later for those that know what that is), Gor settings, fantasy settings, and other things that I tried out.  I continued to role play online in graphical environments when I played NWN as well as SWG, SL, and some other games. I also have done the MuX/MuD thing with participation over the years in Shang as well as non-adult ones.   I have tried forum role play before on MSN and some other places. 

Now I'm here, and looking forward to what I get into.

Geeklet

It was a website called Chathouse. One day back in the mid 90s, my cousin was over, and we were derping around in various chatrooms, with him trying to flirt with random people or something, I don't exactly remember. A few days later, I was bored, and went exploring around that site, since it had a lot of different chatrooms. When I stumbled into the "East Wing" of the chathouse, that was where all the RP chatrooms were. At the time I had no idea, though. Went into this place called "The Castle" which was a freeform fantasy RP setting, and thought it was kinda neat and interesting. The rest is history.

TheGlyphstone

D&D - first tabletop in high school, then branching into online Play-by-posts where I could actually roleplay instead of crack constant jokes about Cheetos and Mountain Dew. One forum led to another through assorted off-site referrals, till I ended up here.

Moraline

I started table top role playing first by creating my own role playing systems, worlds etc..  Then we started picking up books at yard sales, used book stores. We had a number of different ones but we got hooked on table top Palladium role playing and the many books that they had.

My Online role playing began, when I was about 15 or so (roughly 14-15 years ago.) 

Dalhousie University where my father works was one of the main backbones of the Internet on the Atlantic coast and we were tied into a Dalhousie private net that also connected a number of other major universities. Back then there was still Huge rooms for MUDs and all sorts of role playing chat rooms. They had their own world set in some sort of alternative D&D style system. They had no idea that I was only 15 - they just thought I was another student. So I started role playing online through them. (*grins* I felt so special playing with the Uni students.)

(Really old school MUD1 - I bet there are some old timers around that remember this stuff.
I never got to play with it back in it's glory days but I bet it was great!)

Mathim

Gaia Online. My interest in fan fiction blossomed into RPing until I started getting more interested in adult roleplays and sought out a place for others with common interests.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inari

Back in the early 2000's when dial up made dub step. <.<

It started with boards in which I'd RP wolves or cats.  (Can't remember all of them...) I never went over to horse RPs since I was clueless how to do so and just something about it didn't feel right. Although, I got slightly weirded out when people introduced me to terms such as "Long/short breeding." Before that two wolves or cats got together and went to a higher power then magically had babies. I found out the hard way that "Long breeding" was basically RPing bestiality. I know that is some peoples thing on here so I won't judge you for liking it and this isn't meant to be me bashing people who like it; but when you are young and it isn't your thing... it made me feel icky and confused when I was forced to RP it. Sorry! >.<

ffinsider - They had an RP section and it was where I had to learn how to describe humans instead of the usual "The jet black wolfess padded her way to the lake..." (shut up!) Was fun until RPs kept dying everywhere and people stole each others ideas. So I then moved on...

hentaigeeks - This was the first adult RP site I went onto and sadly I got into the bad habit of two lining for a long time. Then once I became RP mod on there I turned the place around so it wasn't so bad any more. (The admin also stole a lot of our rules when he remade the site's rules.) A few years later I had a massive fall out with the admin when I began discussing taking the RP off site with the users and my fellow mods. (I found out he was going to off the section.) He ended up demodding and temp banning me. I went back a year or two later, then some drama bs came up between them and another site... got tiresome, so I now avoid it.

animeleague - Now this place. Oh boy this place. Was fun at first... then drama everywhere to the point where my muse threatened to off itself. Now I just can't get into the RPs at all. I try but can't get past the two post mark to save my life. Posting just feels like a chore on here now so I don't bother.

ecchidreams - Made by some now ex-friends who stole all my ideas from hentaigeeks and got butthurt when the admin banned them for various breaking of rules. Things were great RP wise at first but then when they kept making up drama every damn week it got tiresome and made my muse hide in the closet. I decided to leave when they took things too far with the drama. They still try and shit stir once in a while but after seeking legal advice I now know how to deal with them the next time they literally come to my door to try to intimidate me.

Now here!

I love it here and wish I knew about this place sooner. I finally feel like I am home.

Jag

I was about 12 or 13. It was in a Yahoo User Created Chat Room (I kind of miss those) called Spiderkiss. The creator would get on same time every night, create the room, and a bunch of us were regulars. We were his 'bartenders' and things like that. He actually had some pretty strict rules about the room...but then one night it wasn't there. Then another night. Then another. Eventually, people just forgot about it any moved on.

Then I found Gaiaonline and was there till I found Elliquiy.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Observing Trifles

I started roleplaying (non-adult stuff) in a chatroom for tweens/teens when I was about eleven. I can't remember the name of the place for the life of me, which probably speaks volumes in itself. The quality there was lacking, which I think is somewhat typical of chatrooms (could be wrong, but that's just my experience with them).

From there, I eventually went to blog sites like Xanga and LiveJournal to find writing partners. I thought of trying Gaia Online, but nothing there appealed to me. At one point, I wound up on Roleplay Gateway, but that was short-lived and not very fruitful for me.
|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Vanity Evolved

Hmm.

For me, it began (of all places) on the Neopets Roleplaying boards in highschool. This began to expand to random invisionfree (or whatever it was called) forums that friends had made, such as Dragonriders of Pern based forums and being the little tweeny goth kid I was, eventually finding my way to Vampire the Masquerade. This led to D&D 3.0, and my current obsession with everything tabletop.

WindVoyager

AD&D 2nd ed. Mostly played Spelljammer and Ravenloft

Moved on to 3rd and 3.5, won't touch 4th.

As for online, can't remember.....been far too long. I do remember finding a FF7 board and getting my first experience with an overly controlling Admin and her butt sisters. Over the years I kept running into said Admin who I shall call the Red Queen because it had to be her way or no way. She god moded, stole OC's, threw tantrums when players refused to participate in badly written smut scenes with her, threw tantrums when players got upset when she made major changes tot he plot each week so only her and her the two mods characters got the spot light...

Black Feathers

I first started roleplaying way back during the end and beginning of my elementary and middle school years. I had a small group of friends and we would run around after school pretending to be characters from our favorite movies and books. I didn't actually begin roleplaying through posts till my freshman year of college. I've been writing for years but only have about three years of experience of online forum roleplaying. I'm going to admit that rping is an addiction. Whenever I have a brief period of being away due to life I always crave a good roleplay like a crave a delicious slice of pizza.

Ironwolf85

in collage, before then I couldn't even get online much due to parental locks that limited EVERYTHING.
I started a gaming club at collage, had no idea how to play, so imagine my surprise when a bunch of people show up, shove a game book into my hands and say "your club, you get to be dungeon master GO"

they were killed by a Bodak because I saw it and said "hey that's cool I'll make it a boss, what's this "CR" 10? they can take that.
they did, but nearly everyone died.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

HVBill

I grew up in a very rural part of New York (yes, we have rural) and just down the road was my one and only walking distance neighbor that had kids.  One was my age, his little brother a few years younger.  They used to walk to my house (I had a big backyard with woods, a swamp, and a mountain...literally) and so we would each be a knight/fighter/wizard/whatever and would go on quests in the woods.  Then that lead to tabletop with AD&D and some civil war grid-system war game that a couple friends and myself converted to a roleplaying game.  We bounced around differen D&D variations and a bunch of different, more obscure tabletopiness.

Online it began in a yahoo chat room with various odd roleplays and some fantasy stuff.  The first online roleplay I was involved with that was long term was a star wars chat room, the setting was the Mos Eisley Cantina.  I absolutely loved it.  I don't know if it's still rolling or not but I would love to find it again, can't remember for the life of me why I stopped going there.  I had two characters that I played as regulars there.  Sometimes things would side line into erotic play through whispers or on yahoo or AIM.  It was mostly just great star wars roleplay though.  From there I bounced between several forums and chats, but none of them really stood out.  I frequent a place called fantasycastle to this day that I've been going to for years that has some erotic stuff happening and a fantasy based roleplay room.  The same evening I found that place, years ago, I also discovered cyber town and boom town.  Boom town was a free 3-d lego envirovment in which you built a house and chatted, some roleplay occured there.  Cybertown (It has a different name now I think and is mostly abandoned) is another 3d place with a chat that you roleplayed through. It had currency and shops and you could buy homes and such, very fun and big.  Then they started charging and it wilted away to being mostly empty now.

Now I have discovered E and so far a bunch of great people.  I hope I get some roleplaying going and get to be known as a regular on here.

Now I've d
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of men.."