Interest check: 1408 "survival" roleplay

Started by anciental, December 15, 2017, 05:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anciental

Hello and good evening folks. I have a roleplay I've been dying to see come to life and I'm here to convince you it'll be a cool time.

Based on the story 1408 by Stephen King, this would ideally be a group roleplay where a group of more or less unconnected characters must come together to keep their sanity intact and escape the thirteenth-- excuse me, the fourteenth floor of The Hotel Dolphin. Set in the modern world, your character is staying or working at The Hotel Dolphin in NYC when some idiot with a passing knowledge of magic and a lone wolf hero complex accidentally sets the thing in 1408 loose on the rest of the floor. Characters slowly come to realize something is very wrong when the Thing in the Room starts pulling their fears into reality. A hotel employee officially informs characters about the dangers after a sense of unreality has been established and establish a party goal of making downstairs with sanity (mostly) intact/

If you're interested in a roleplay where your character either succumbs to horrors beyond human understanding or bands together with others to overcome them, this roleplay might be for you. While I personally will avoid gore, this roleplay will involve topics specifically chosen to make the character uncomfortable, if not the player, such as body horror, loss of control, and surreal scenery descriptions. Players should be willing to roleplay a character facing a mentally stressful situation where reactions that make sense for the character might not be objectively logical.

If you want to roleplay the idiot who set the thing free or the hotel staff member in charge of rounding up the other player characters, you are more than welcome! We can discuss those characters in more depth to flesh out their role in the story. If anyone wants to join the roleplay as a pair, that is also welcome!

Depending on player preference and E rules, this roleplay may take place in or out of the non-adult roleplay forum. If that occurs, please know that I will not manufacture sexual or especially graphic situations, but players will be welcome to respond as feels appropriate to them once all players are in agreement about how the game will proceed.

Before this roleplay starts, I would need a brief overview of your proposed character, focusing on the following:
a) why your character is at the Hotel Dolphin (which may include some backstory)
b) a character insecurity that can be used against you. For example, your character might be particularly affected by group disapproval (shame, disdain, exclusion), not feeling in control of themself or the situation, being uncomfortable in their body, or not being able to trust their senses. Please pick an insecurity that won't trigger you
c) anything that's a hard no and/or could trigger something undesirable. We want to make sure nobody is traumatized.
d) whether your goal as a player is to see your character go mad or make it out still mostly sane. Just to get a sense of how players want the game to go.
e) anything else you think is important for the party to know about your character.

An optional response that might help you decide if you want to participate and how your character would react:

"Suddenly you're struck by the realization that the person speaking wasn't part of your group at the start of all of this craziness. You cannot remember their name. You think you might have seen them in one of the paintings in your room. They were wearing a yellow sundress and bathing in the autumn red of New England leaves, and the painting had laughed at you, meanly, like that boy in high school who went out of his way to make your life miserable. He wasn't wearing a sundress now, but his face was the same, even if it wasn't smirking at you, and you cannot figure out why you were supposed to be listening to him to begin with. Can you even hear his voice? Is he actually saying anything?"

How does your character react to this situation?