I know that the automakers are praying for a bailout, but this is ridiculous...

Started by CassandraNova, December 09, 2008, 03:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CassandraNova

This is from a pentecostal church in Detroit.  Apparently, the church thinks that it can help matters by putting a pair of SUVs on stage, anointing parishioners with oil, and pray for a big federal bailout.

The recession is making people do some pretty weird things.

I mean, don't they even read the Bible?  Praying to a golden calf...big no-no.  To make matters even more ironic, I know that area of Manhattan.  The golden bull statue in the Financial District is less than a block away from Trinity Episcopal church on Broadway and Wall Street.  It's not like they were strapped for a place to pray in the neighborhood.

The Overlord

I don't believe in 99% of the biblical fluff and hoohah, but these people just got it all wrong. I think this is the false gods before me bit. Even as an agnostic I can't help but hope a lightning barrage or meteor rubs these people out of their pathetic existence.

God, if you're there and you're listening, here's your chance. If you don't go fire and brimstone on the people, then I'll have my proof you're a sham.

The Overlord

...come to think of it.

And for the record, I realize I might have just pissed off every Indian, but as far as animals go, praying to a cow is pretty lame.

I mean, here's an animal that makes pretty good steaks and hamburgers, but also stands mindlessly in a field all day chewing its cud, and is responsible for tons of agricultural methane via natural flatulence. Not exactly a romantic or inspiring beast...I like to eat them but that's about all they're good for.

I mean, lions, tigers, and bears...oh my, yes. Or maybe I can join an obscure tribe in the North American or Siberian taiga that worships a mastodon god. See, that's better.

Pumpkin Seeds

There is a part of me that feels for these people.  Yet also a part of me that wonders if they comprehend that a recession is a natural part of being in a capitalist system.  Too many times I hear people calling for pure capitalism and the invisible hand of the market, yet those same people scream the loudest when a recession hits.  Can't always have a growing economy ya know.

Avi

Hah, I love the image of them praying over the golden bull.  Excellent point on the part of Cassandra. ;D  On another note, I'm a Christian, and I certainly value the power of prayer in my life, but this is taking it a wee bit too far.  God helps those who help themselves, and all the Big Three have done is rake in money for themselves and screw over the American people. 
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

ShrowdedPoet

Well, I don't care who is out there listening or even if they care.  I don't let myself get all upset about shit like that but if I were to pray about it. . .I pray that the damned government stops giving out money to all of these huge companies that will just need more later and start worrying about all us taxpayers (who are paying for the rediculous bailouts in the first place) who can't afford to pay our fucking bills!
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

OldSchoolGamer

I think we're going to be seeing a level of ugliness here in America that we haven't seen since the violent reaction to the civil-rights movement in the Fifties.

The problem goes way, way beyond a single industry that failed to adapt with the times.  It's the whole idea of American exceptionalism, the idea that we're God's gift to humanity and we can screw up and mismanage things as much as we want, consume as much as we want.  Deficit?  Don't worry, we'll grow our way out of it.  Oil shortage?  No such thing, my good man, only hippies think finite natural resources don't last forever; we'll just drill more holes.  Pollution?  Don't worry, the wind will blow it away and dioxin and acid rain are actually good for you!  Poor people?  They're just lazy, because Adam Smith and the GOP assure us everyone can be a CEO and get a $50 million golden parachute for performing financial masturbation and playing golf.

What's coming down on America is a reality check that's bouncing as high as the World Trade Center used to be, a big "account overdrawn" nasty-gram.  People are wanting a recovery, but there's no such thing.  It was the way of life we lived prior to this crash that was itself the problem.  It's like a guy whose cocaine habit craters his life wanting to "recover" so he can go back to doing a couple lines before breakfast and living the high life.

Moondazed

My grandfather blames his generation.  He says that they taught their children to exceed them without consideration for the community around them.  I don't know if I agree, just sayin' :)
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

The Overlord

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on December 14, 2008, 07:34:25 PM
I think we're going to be seeing a level of ugliness here in America that we haven't seen since the violent reaction to the civil-rights movement in the Fifties.

The problem goes way, way beyond a single industry that failed to adapt with the times.  It's the whole idea of American exceptionalism, the idea that we're God's gift to humanity and we can screw up and mismanage things as much as we want, consume as much as we want.  Deficit?  Don't worry, we'll grow our way out of it.  Oil shortage?  No such thing, my good man, only hippies think finite natural resources don't last forever; we'll just drill more holes.  Pollution?  Don't worry, the wind will blow it away and dioxin and acid rain are actually good for you!  Poor people?  They're just lazy, because Adam Smith and the GOP assure us everyone can be a CEO and get a $50 million golden parachute for performing financial masturbation and playing golf.

What's coming down on America is a reality check that's bouncing as high as the World Trade Center used to be, a big "account overdrawn" nasty-gram.  People are wanting a recovery, but there's no such thing.  It was the way of life we lived prior to this crash that was itself the problem.  It's like a guy whose cocaine habit craters his life wanting to "recover" so he can go back to doing a couple lines before breakfast and living the high life.

For once I tend to be totally in agreement. I think as a nation we just maxed out our credit card, and now the bills are due with interest, and nobody else is going to sign us. Expect the road to get bumpier and go through a few long tunnels before we see the light.

And on the far end, the American Dream is not going to be the same. Nice to know keeping up with the Jonses is about to become old hat...we might just save a few more resources in the long run.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on December 14, 2008, 07:34:25 PM

*nods in agreement*  Beautifully said!
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Pumpkin Seeds

Capitalism goes through natural ups and down, rises and falls due to the very nature of its being.  Regulation of those ups and downs was required by the Great Depression because the United States realized that it could not survive all of them.  A nation needs some stability in order to make it through the cold winter.  That being said I will agree with Ty that we, as a country, do believe that everything just magical gets better.  Economy in the crapper, fix it but don’t raise my taxes.  Gas prices up, bomb a country till they go down.  Little Billy can’t find China on the map, hire better teachers but let’s not pay them anymore for that extra training.  I got cancer, where’s my pill to cure it that costs .99cents? 

We are unfortunately a country that wants the best but doesn’t want to pay for it.  We believe that everything just sort of gets fixed while we go on with our lives.  Sad as it may be, this nation will not be able to hit the snooze button this time.

Mathim

Um...it's not just us, it's the whole world's economy. We're all over the world going to revert back to third-world countries and there'll be no going back. You guys should really be getting ready. No one's going to be there to stop your neighbors from breaking into your homes and taking you out to get what little you have.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Pumpkin Seeds

I think I would stay off the .38 revolver stocking stuffers and shotgun Christmas presents.  I have a feeling the plug isn't getting pulled that far out of the socket.