Glenn Greenwald starts anti-NSA/Surveillance Watchdog Web Magazine

Started by gaggedLouise, February 15, 2014, 07:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/

They're promising to publish coverage both of the NSA, the FBI and their struggle to keep tabs on people and curtains down, and on some of the contents of the hoard of Snowden documents

"The Intercept, a publication of First Look Media, was created by Glenn Greenwald, Laura Poitras, and Jeremy Scahill. It has a two-fold mission: one short-term, the other long-term.

Our short-term mission is to provide a platform to report on the documents previously provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden. Although we are still building our infrastructure and larger vision, we are launching now because we believe we have a vital obligation to this ongoing and evolving story, to these documents, and to the public.

Our NSA coverage will be comprehensive, innovative and multi-faceted. We have a team of experienced editors and journalists devoted to the story. We will use all forms of digital media for our reporting. In addition, we will publish primary source documents on which our reporting is based. We will also invite outside experts with area knowledge to contribute to our reporting, and provide a platform for commentary and reader engagement.

Our long-term mission is to produce fearless, adversarial journalism across a wide range of issues. The editorial independence of our journalists will be guaranteed. They will be encouraged to pursue their passions, cultivate a unique voice, and publish stories without regard to whom they might anger or alienate. We believe the prime value of journalism is its power to impose transparency, and thus accountability, on the most powerful governmental and corporate bodies, and our journalists will be provided the full resources and support required to do this."

Looks like a very timely and relevant move. I hope it doesn't get blocked in too many places.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Neysha

Well at the very least, it'll give all of those "National Security Correspondents" a convenient one stop shop receptacle for their articles on National Security.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Jazra

Greenwald is a sharp journalist. I'll definitely take a look at Intercept.
Ons & Offs
Absences

Boy, “If I and a slice of pizza fall in the water, which do you save?

Girl, wipes grease off her chin, “Why'd you let my pizza fall in the water?”

Callie Del Noire

I don't like the sensationalism of some of their article titles. "US Assassination Program"? No.. it's a drone strike program, no need to fluff it. You could do better than that. Granted 'Drone Program' doesn't fill the title bar as good as Assassination

Valthazar

Snowden created all these new journalistic opportunities, he's a better job creator than many politicians. :-)

Kythia

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 16, 2014, 01:21:52 PM
I don't like the sensationalism of some of their article titles. "US Assassination Program"? No.. it's a drone strike program, no need to fluff it. You could do better than that. Granted 'Drone Program' doesn't fill the title bar as good as Assassination

I'm not certain referring to actions that kill individuals in a targeted way as "assassination" is sensationalism rather than simple accuracy.  But that's very much a side issue.

Oniya

Quote from: Kythia on February 16, 2014, 03:43:10 PM
I'm not certain referring to actions that kill individuals in a targeted way as "assassination" is sensationalism rather than simple accuracy.  But that's very much a side issue.

Only accurate under certain circumstances.  The target is what makes all the difference:

Assassination is the murder of a prominent person or political figure by a surprise attack, usually for payment or political reasons.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

kylie

Shrugs.  In common usage, it's often assassination if you think they're prominent enough to have been something of a civic figure...  Someone a good few people were moved by or liked or even minimally "respected" (I mean in a functional sense of 'being noted for having capabilities of some significance in a competitive field).  Thus, often applied (though not without controversy in the West, particularly) to both figures like Martin Luther King and Yasser Arafat.  One person's terrorist is another's freedom fighter is (especially now) another's whistleblower is another's activist is another's propagandist -- or maybe sometimes more than one all according to the same critic.

I will be interested to take a peek at this.  Not sure yet whether to be excited or anxious that Greenwald, I'm guessing, needed to leave the Guardian to do this?  And given the history of intel operations against activists, vetting and security has gotta be quite the challenge when they start gathering a "community" of people around this stuff.   

Jazra

Assassination works for me. Greenwald has to get eyeballs on his article. The technically accurate terms for a garden variety drone strike is "Targeted Killing," the premeditated killing of an individual by a state organization or institution outside a judicial procedure or a battlefield. Now if they had used a drone strike to get Osama Bin Laden, it would be an assassination. But if a government (as opposed to my neighbor) decides I'm a threat and takes me out with a drone strike, it's simply a targeted killing. Mind you, I doubt the target would care what Greenwald or others chose to called the drone strike that took him or (in my case) her out. We'd both be just as dead.
Ons & Offs
Absences

Boy, “If I and a slice of pizza fall in the water, which do you save?

Girl, wipes grease off her chin, “Why'd you let my pizza fall in the water?”