The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 17, 2011, 05:48:39 PM
A problem I seem to have with these games is that things always seem to progress too fast, and at some point you just have more equipment and gold than you know what to do with. I wish there was more of a challenge to getting new armor and improving your equipment.
There is, it's called don't invest any perks in smithing. I nearly cried when I finally got my first set of elven armor around level twenty.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Samael

About to start the Dark Brotherhood quest line.
Apparently you can get a permanent mount from there. Want. It.

Also, thanks Meikle! Helped!
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Cold Heritage

Why can't anyone learn to stay out of the way of the nord swinging the giant hammer? Especially you high and mighty wizards at your winterhold college, thinking you're so great  . . . can't even not not run in front of my power attacks . . .
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Tsenta

I. Hate. Draugr.   Here I am skipping along a tomb with shriveled corpses, lalala. Figure I'd click them to see if they get gear then BLAM! It sits right up and starts pwning me with ice magics. :(
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tsenta on November 18, 2011, 09:23:57 AM
I. Hate. Draugr.   Here I am skipping along a tomb with shriveled corpses, lalala. Figure I'd click them to see if they get gear then BLAM! It sits right up and starts pwning me with ice magics. :(

Which is why you shoot it with a conjured bow from stealth.  They tend to die,again, when you do that. 

Tsenta

I'm only about 2 hours in, I'm using an ancient nordic bow I think. Even WITH sneak, I can't 1hit it just yet. THEY HAX! >(

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tsenta on November 18, 2011, 11:26:43 AM
I'm only about 2 hours in, I'm using an ancient nordic bow I think. Even WITH sneak, I can't 1hit it just yet. THEY HAX! >(

Ah. I had a house jarl then.

Tsenta

Yeah I just got one.   Y'know....I've dug EVERYWHERE through my official guide and you know what I can't find? How water breathing/drowning works. I mean there's no oxygen/air meter...o_o;

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on November 16, 2011, 05:27:40 PM
It's said you can go all the way up to level fifty regularly, and beyond at a hampered rate... I wonder if someone's trying to get all the skills?

You can try, but you won't succeed. From what I've read, the maximum possible is 100 perks (20 from quests, 80 from levels after having maxed ALL SKILLS to 100), and it's possible it's less than that as I read someone say that while you can level past 50 you don't get more perk points after 50.

Either way, nowhere near the total number of perks available (which is around 200 something).

Regarding my earlier comment on super-fast non-combat leveling, it's easy to level fast that way because it's easy to max out non-combat skills. Just getting to 100 stealth and 100 smithing will put you at 20+ on their own, which unfortunately means you'll be facing level 20+ monster types with minimal combat skills, so be prepared for a rough start. On the other hand, it certainly makes the game a challenge.

The Nightingale armor makes me wish I'd gone with a light armor character. So nice. D:

On the other hand...

...while Dragonbone didn't really impress me (loved the Ebony dark knight look, which is what Lydia's wearing next to me there)...

...Daedric armor looks pretty freaking badass, so it's not all bad.

I do kinda want to reroll with a light armor Nightblade type, but I foresee two major issues with that. One, I'd have to redo all the quests and exploring, which is getting kinda tedious (this would be my fourth character doing the early quest and exploration stuff ~.~). Two, I still haven't found a good balance between physical and magical combat skills because of the limited perks and, more importantly, slow progression when needing to skill up multiple types of combat skills at the same time. Usually one or the other ends up more effective and I use that more, and then the other falls behind to the point of being ignored, and...yeah. That and stealth and magic are completely counter to each other until you get to 50 Illusion for that all-spells-are-silent perk, which seems like it would be absolutely required for any kind of stealth magic-user build to work in this game, which means spamming Calm on people to level up Illusion in addition to the combat skills and...bleh, so much grind. :|

Oh, also, this is what a heavy-armor stealth warrior looks like in action:

Who knew Daedric armor makes you invisible to dragons?
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Tsenta

The level cap is 81 at 100 all skills. That's 80 perks. The 20 someodd perks you get from quests AREN'T from your skill list perks but perks all on their own  (as in you won't get a spare perk to spend on what you want, but a perk that gives a different ability.)   Roughly at level 50 leveling up will be majorly slow.

Samael

Ok, Dark Brotherhood quests are just awesome.
Not spoiling it, but they are really worth doing.

Cold Heritage

I actually don't really enjoy the appearance of daedric equipment. The bow and mace are the only ones that don't turn me off. The aesthetic is appropriate for, y'know, hellspawned daemon armour, but it's not something I want to be running around in - but since I used my daedra hearts for making a daedric bow and greatsword, and haven't any more, so I am okay.

I don't really dig dragonplate, either, except for the helmet. I think that looks pretty decent.

Probably my biggest disappointment, however, is that the wolf helmet . . . doesn't really have any wolf looks going for it. I guess the face/cheek/jaw guard is supposed to be a wolf jaw, but I think there was a missed opportunity to make it look like your face is that of a wolf.

NotoriusBEN

omg, kotaku.com had an awesome article for skyrim. needless to say i broke down, bought it, and am having a fun time for once in elder scrolls.

http://kotaku.com/5860767/true-tales-of-skyrim-adventure-the-triumphant-freedom-of-madness

Here is the thread from Kotaku telling one of the better stories from players of skyrim, but that's not the awesome bit.
In the user responses to the articale is this pic with the following reply:

Peon's Journal. Frostfall 22nd: Screever carcass in alley this morning,
horseshoe tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have
seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters
are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin
will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam
up about their waists and all the Empire and Stormcloaks will look up
and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

mannik

Alright, made a new character, this one a sneaky mage sort that uses every school of magic except alteration....quickly became an 'arcane huntress' after I accidentally figured out a glitch to get both of hircine's items (Armor with protection from poison and magic, and hircine's ring which gives an extra transform as a werewolf).

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Here's the glitch. Basically do Hircine's quest, then agree to help the werewolf. Kill off all the hunters thus completing the goal to save him. Then kill and skin him as Hircine had instructed. The daedra will take the ring and give you the armor (savior's hide) then just leave and you'll run into Hircine again, this time congratulating you on turning the hunt against the hunters, and gives you the uncursed ring and telling you to go with his blessing.

Shjade

I tried making a sneaky mage. Trouble is, until you get 50 Illusion for the make-all-spells-silent perk, magic is the anti-sneak. All stealth is gone the moment you cast something remotely close to an enemy. Kinda defeats the purpose. :| ... Oh, I already said that in this thread. Well. ... It's still true! >.>

Rerolled to make a light armor stealthy person without all the incredibly high powerleveling from smithing and speech and sneak. I still wish the stealth mechanics in this worked more consistently (more like, say, Thief, my all-time favorite stealth game), but it serves well enough for my needs. Working through the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests before I do anything else to get the sweet armor. It's a pity I won't be riding Shadowmere around much, though, since riding horses is freaking fatal unless you're on flat ground. Seriously, how did Bethesda not notice riding a horse downhill causes the horse to fly off the ground and kill you with fall damage? >:|
◕/◕'s

Samael

Really...?
I regularly bound down steep mountainsides and barely anything happens to me. It's just free fall that kills me, and that... hm, doesn't happen here.
PC version, btw.

Nadir

Same for me, Sam. The one time I died going downhill was when I'd ridden up an almost vertical mountainside.

Side note - eh, is it just me or is mining really hit and miss? With more emphasis on the miss?

Samael

Very much miss.
I don't even find many places to mine in the first place, so I'm considering just shopping for what I need again. It's so not worth it.

Cold Heritage

I mined once for the cheevo, and I only even noticed there was a vein of ore there because I snuck up on a guy mining it.

Hemingway

Mining is best done in ... mines. If you're looking for ebony, that can be tricky. I don't recommend wasting that if you find it. I wouldn't even make ebony armor if you're planning on making Daedric later on.

Nadir

It's not finding the veins that's difficult, it's persuading the programme to run the mining action so I can get it to give me the ore.

Hemingway

I've never had a problem with that.

Inkidu

Cool moment:

I was killing someone in Nightingale armor with my one-handed sword  via finishing move where he basically gut stabs them. I had invoked Storm Call and it was all in third person. Results.

A bolt of lightning hit the guy I was finishing as I was finishing him. Cool.  8-)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Quote from: Samael on November 19, 2011, 07:16:30 PM
Really...?
I regularly bound down steep mountainsides and barely anything happens to me. It's just free fall that kills me, and that... hm, doesn't happen here.
PC version, btw.

I've done a lot of mountaineering in this game so far, regularly wall-jumping up steep cliffs to find map points at the top when I don't feel like running circles around the mountain to find a road  that will get me up there. I feel pretty comfortable gauging what's a fatal fall and what isn't, and I do just fine on foot.

First time I got on a horse, I went riding down a not very steep hill and the horse flew off the ground, glided to the bottom of the hill, and killed us both.

I have since restrained riding horses to flat land. :|
◕/◕'s

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on November 20, 2011, 12:42:36 PM
I've done a lot of mountaineering in this game so far, regularly wall-jumping up steep cliffs to find map points at the top when I don't feel like running circles around the mountain to find a road  that will get me up there. I feel pretty comfortable gauging what's a fatal fall and what isn't, and I do just fine on foot.

First time I got on a horse, I went riding down a not very steep hill and the horse flew off the ground, glided to the bottom of the hill, and killed us both.

I have since restrained riding horses to flat land. :|
Which is a shame, because horses are exceptionally good at climbing a lot of stuff the PC never will. I think it's because their models have four points of contact with the ground and a long body. :\

Still yeah, use it to go up, not down a mountain. I had what you're describe happen to me and I ended up landing in some shoals unconscious for like two minutes. I went over three water falls and nearly drowned. God I love Skyrim.

Plus even the mud-crabs in Skyrim can kill you if they gank you while you're low. Everything is tougher in Skyrim.