Great F2P Games You Like and Why

Started by RubySlippers, July 06, 2011, 11:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Okay I'll start.

1. Champions Online
A great classic comic book in game format, awesome you can have loads of fun not spending a penny or pay for things you like using the typical micro-transaction format. Plays well and there are always some special or new innovation. Plus you can make and fight your own nemesis just like the big heroes you to can have a Lex Luthor for your Superman-esque character.

2. World of Tanks
Cheapest game out there its free to play, has microtransactions that you can drop $15 once and beef up your armor with premium tanks or get other things. Plus all the armor is historically accurate as much as possible. BIGGEST PLUS is there are constant games I could play several games an hour with different tanks if I want to and I do. Just hit Escape after the fight on your keyboard, log off the battle after your a smoldering pile of metal and select a new tank, tank destroyer or artillery option you have open. You get five tank slots and can choose from German, Soviet or United States WWII era or shortly after options. I will note you don't have to spend a dime on it most lower tier options are quite gettable in the game my favorite tank the Tier II Russian BT-2 is decked out with improvements like cameo netting and all and wicked in a fight in her size class. And others are also.

3. Forsaken World
Beautiful graphics, a nice selection of options and come on its one of the few games you can play a vampire (who is called a Kindred) and opt to play a class called Vampire (its as cool as it sounds). Oddly all the females of the races open with females as an option tend to the buxom and hot looking variety. And the classes are neat. Down side is the game channels you have to remember your world and your zone in the server to play your character - wish that was automatic. A plus side is the quest going around is uber-easy just click the bright name of the person or quest item and you run there no guessing.

EbonyQueen

1.) Champions Online

Besides what was stated above it has a powerful character creation tool with a -lot- of options to make your characters as odd or as normal as you would like. With all of those options it is fun just to create some characters. While the stuff included right out of the gate is quite a bit you can if you want buy additional costume 'packs'. Though I feel with all the options you get by default this is only necessary if you -really- like the costume packs. If you opt for a premium account you can mix and match powers however you want, free players are relegated to pre-configured 'power packs' but there is still a good amount of variety and fun to be found here.

If you like the 'superhero' genre I would recommend giving CO a try.

Machete

Quote from: EbonyQueen on July 06, 2011, 12:19:44 PMIf you like the 'superhero' genre I would recommend giving C(hampions) O(nline) a try.

I plan to once I get my new computer.

On a side note, I added the parenthetical info for those who click the topic titles on the index page and don't look above.

Shjade

Vindictus is good for brawling smashery in medieval RPG style. Very grind-happy, though, so while the gameplay (3d brawling in heavy armor with melee weapons against fantasy creatures) is great fun at first, the game looks pretty dang nice and the combat animations are clean and smooth, it's likely to become a chore long before you even get into the upper echelons of gear. I do still like it, but I can only play it in short bursts. Good if you just want to smash some gnolls/kobolds/trolls/giant spiders/etc. in direct fashion for a while.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Tekimoto

There is one game like this I like, the rest is on my ps3 ;) (except for starcraft 2 :p )

The name is 1.) League of legends, also known as LoL.

The reason I like this game is because you can select a hero which has its own abilities.
Also there is a great variety of hero's in the game and its still expanding.
What you basically have to do is choose if you would like to do a 3vs 3 or 5 vs 5 map.
Then you will get into a lobby where you can choose one of the hero's who are available.
Every 1-2 weeks new hero's will be available. You can buy hero's to keep them forever.
Then you get get runes to increase your fighting abilities and update your stats with the player level points.
After 60 seconds, or till everyone clicked lock-in and the game is ready to start.
Then in-game you have to kill all the enemy hero's and level up in-game. Max level per game is 18. And upgrade you abilities. You also have minions which will spawn like every 15 seconds. Then together with your minions you have to try to destoy the enemy their base :)

HairyHeretic

City of Heros is apparently going the hybrid FtP route in the coming months.

I believe Age of Conan, Dungeons and Dragons Online and Lord of the Rings are all FtP / hybrid models as well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hemingway

I occasionally play a little World of Tanks, mostly when my brother talks me into doing it. Usually one of us buys a premium account for 24 hours so we can group. It is a fun game, but last I played it had a few serious problems. The balancing is pretty terrible. I frequently get into battles where even the weakest tank on the enemy team is significantly stronger than mine, and WoT is a game where skill, while not exactly unimportant, simply can't save you if you haven't got the right equipment. It doesn't matter how good you are when your shells just bounce off.

It's fun when it works, when you're in a battle where everyone's largely equal and there's not a lot of artillery.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Hemingway on July 14, 2011, 09:44:38 AM
I occasionally play a little World of Tanks, mostly when my brother talks me into doing it. Usually one of us buys a premium account for 24 hours so we can group. It is a fun game, but last I played it had a few serious problems. The balancing is pretty terrible. I frequently get into battles where even the weakest tank on the enemy team is significantly stronger than mine, and WoT is a game where skill, while not exactly unimportant, simply can't save you if you haven't got the right equipment. It doesn't matter how good you are when your shells just bounce off.

It's fun when it works, when you're in a battle where everyone's largely equal and there's not a lot of artillery.

Artillery is not perfect but if covered fun to play my arty gets me on a good game 2-6 kills if the team can pin down tanks to get a dead eye shot not easy. But I tend to play Level 1 to 4 tanks, but bought the T-14. I favor the light tanks you get more equality and if your a good shot at range a B-2 can be evil and fast. All in all with five slots free and good options once you get going its a good f2p game overall.

And how many WWII battles were balanced part of the fun is working with what you have to still get the win.

HairyHeretic

Even if you're at the bottom of the heap, you ought to be able to damage at least the bottom third of the other side. Yes, run into something 2-3 tiers higher and you're likely to go splat, but I have both one shotted enemy tanks and been one shotted myself. It's still fun :) Currently I'm playing a spread of tier 4-7s.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Shjade

Quote from: KaylaM on July 14, 2011, 07:42:42 AM
Has anyone tried Age of Conan since it went F2P?
AoC's free now? I'll have to look into that. The demo was more or less meh, enough that I knew it wasn't worth a purchase, but if it's F2P now I could get off that damn starting island and actually look around a bit, which would be nice.
◕/◕'s

RubySlippers

The downloads are huge the main update for the intro is going to take me almost a day for AoC, argghhhhh.

But yes AoC is microtransaction based f2p, it looks nice but the downloads on basic broadband is not pretty. I might just buy the game it should be cheaper now and load it off that.

Hemingway

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 14, 2011, 10:48:52 AM
Artillery is not perfect but if covered fun to play my arty gets me on a good game 2-6 kills if the team can pin down tanks to get a dead eye shot not easy. But I tend to play Level 1 to 4 tanks, but bought the T-14. I favor the light tanks you get more equality and if your a good shot at range a B-2 can be evil and fast. All in all with five slots free and good options once you get going its a good f2p game overall.

And how many WWII battles were balanced part of the fun is working with what you have to still get the win.

To say it's not perfect is a bit of an understatement. The trouble is you can get hit out of nowhere because someone happened to see you, and be immobilized by the first hint, which basically means you're dead. If you manage to get in close, artillery is usually out of luck, though they still pack a serious punch, but it just doesn't even out. I really don't think it makes sense to say real battles aren't balanced. If this is realistic, then where are the bombers, for one thing?

Like I said, it's not a terrible game, but I hope they balance it better.

My tanks of choice, just by the way, are the Sherman and M5 Stuart. I like to pretend I'm in Kelly's Heroes in my Sherman ( Oddball, the tank driver in the movie, mounted a cylinder on the gun so it'd look bigger, and used shells filled with paint to freak out the enemy, along with loud music. Not the most serious war movie ever, but... still. ) which has a huge fricking cannon. It's pretty a fairly mediocre tank, but if that cannon hits ( and it better, as it takes like 16 seconds to reload ), it usually kills something. Usually. If you're lucky enough not be playing against heavy tanks three tiers above yourself. The M5 is similar, only it has a slightly smaller cannon ( 70mm, I think, could be wrong ), but fast as hell. Probably the most fun I had with that was crashing into the side of a tank destroyer so he couldn't turn. The poor guy.

Brandon

Super crate box: A nice little jump around and shoot things game that forces you to constantly change up your strategy and adapt to the enemy. Its the kind of old school frustrating fun that I think is missing in todays market of high end games

League of legends: A nice little team based game where you take your chosen heros (and there are a ton of them) and try to destroy the enemy heros base. So kind of a team based RTS without the building stuff component

Dungeons and dragons online: Really cool game that bears the D&D title and has similar mechanics to 3.5. If you want a free fantasy MMORPG DDO is in my opinion the best one out there right now
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Revelation

For free games I mostly stick to League of Legends. LoL being a free DoTA clone that offers gameplay at a casual and 'pro' level. WTF is League of Legends? But its a long video. Basically, you play a hero/champion unit in an RTS style game that has you trying to kill an enemies base while keeping your own alive.

Shjade

Sidenote about League of Legends: if you're looking for a friendly, supportive community...look elsewhere. Dickishness appears to be the norm. >.>
◕/◕'s

Revelation

Quote from: Shjade on July 15, 2011, 03:03:35 PM
Sidenote about League of Legends: if you're looking for a friendly, supportive community...look elsewhere. Dickishness appears to be the norm. >.>

Its just like any other games community, only more focused towards PvP. There are loads of friendly people, and the new reporting/tribunal system is weeding out a lot of the haters and trolls.

Shjade

Right, more focused towards PvP, and PvP tends to bring out the dick in people. ;p
◕/◕'s

ExisD

I've only been playing two f2p games, and both have already been mentioned here, but:

Vindictus- It's the first mmo of it's type that I've seen. Very active combat and gorgeous graphics keep me coming back to it. Parts of it are rather grindy, but each new update has reduced that load a little bit... at least compared to how it was. It also has some of the best boss fights I've had in a multi-player game.

Dingeons and Dragons Online- It the 3.5 rule set with many add ons. I'm a huge fan just because of how much customization of build the game offers. However, if you want to play high level content you either will need to do a few micro-transactions or spend a long time grinding free points.

Brandon

Quote from: Shjade on July 15, 2011, 03:03:35 PM

Its true but if you want some people to play with its easy to start an Elliquiy group up. Im not so much into the PVP scene (in fact Ive barely played the game so far) but its a fun game with friends. I have found a few good people in the LoL community but thus far nice/good people tend to be in the minority
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Craz

I play League of Legends semi-regularly... I'm enjoying it, though I'm not amazing at it. I do enjoy playing versus computers with friends a bit more, mostly because I just like hanging with friends and killing stuff.

Shjade

I like the idea of playing with friends only, the way I play L4D2 Versus games. Trouble is getting 10 folks together for full games for that, or 6 for the smaller map. 5 folks vs. AI is sorta okay...except the bots' AI is so exploitable that once you've figured it out they don't really present a challenge anymore; they're more or less just punching bags to practice your last-hitting and team synergy with specific champions for when you play a match against other people.
◕/◕'s

Brandon

Well thats partly why I mentioned an Elliquiy clan on LoL. You can get 5 players together maybe once or a couple times a week for some matches. You might even be able to get 10 people so you can fight each other if you really want to. If you did the latter I would highly recomend a mandatory switch up so the same people dont play with the same people all the time. Causes less cliques

Shjade

Oh definitely. You'd have to figure out something of a pecking order to try getting relatively even teams since one-sided stomps are no fun, but the actual membership would have to get swapped around. I dunno anything about clans though. I just push buttan play gaem. ;p
◕/◕'s

DudelRok

I rather liked Perfect World when I was playing it. A pretty solid by-the-numbers MMORPG that managed to keep my attention with it's flying mechanics.

Maple Story is a good "single player experience with other people in it."

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

Hideyori

I played D&D online for a few months back when it was first released. I enjoyed it for the time I played it, but MMOs aren't my thing. I tried LOTRO as well, but it didn't get my interest at /all./
Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mob say. Doesn't matter if the /whole country/ decides that something wrong, is something right. This nation was founded under one principle above all others - The requirement that we stand up for what we believe in, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the /whole world/ tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and tell the whole world, "No. /You/ move."