News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

E-Melting Pot

Started by ReanimateMagnus, June 05, 2011, 11:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flower

Hmm, English is my first language but I'm currently working on Spanish. This is just my personal opinion but to my ears other languages besides English just sound so beautiful. Maybe this is just the grass is greener over there effect lol

I have the Rosetta program for it but I don't think that using it alone is the best way to learn. Taking classes with other people and reading books is helpful for me. I also love listening to different songs and watching some televison shows in Spanish.

It is pleasing after studying for a while to hear someone random speaking and completely understand. :)

I only wished that I had developed an interest in learning different languages earlier in life. Maybe one day I will be completely fluent in Spanish so I can move on to Russian or maybe German. 

dana eleanor

I actually know American Sign Language and I am fluent in it. Won't work here, but it is a language.

meikle

): .אני לא מדברת עברית
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Nico

I speak English and German, both as native languages.

I understand a little Spanish by now, some Italian and French, thanks to my boyfriend.

dana eleanor

I tried to learn Spanish, but it was too hard for me because I have speech impediments that are connected with me being hard of hearing, so I just stuck with American Sign Language. It's easier for me to talk with my hands because I'm able to read the facial expressions and be able to be myself. Speaking in my native language, English, is harder than signing even though I had speech therapy for most of my life.

Malina

I was so happy these past weeks, I watched a few films in French, with subtitles, and was really sure I understood barely a word. But there were several occasions where I instantly knew the subtitles were wrong. I apparently actually did understand some of it, quite a bit actually, it seems. And, yes, the subtitles really were wrong, the context revealed it a bit later in each case. I thought my French was near as dead and gone as my Latin, but maybe there's hope for a tiny, tiny resurrection, even?

Oniya

I watch the History Channel for WWII documentaries to do the same thing on my German.  I've caught a couple errors there, as well.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

I once caught something in Russian that the subtitles had overlooked, and I was terribly proud of myself.  :D  I realize that sometimes there isn't enough time to get everything subtitled -- if the characters are speaking quickly, they'd be awfully hard to read -- but really, whatever they do have time to translate should at least be accurate.  It seems like it should be so simple...
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Malina

*shares the bliss of 'I do understand a little' with Oniya and Valerian*  XD

What's at once amusing and bound to make you cringe is when they use your native tongue in some book or film - all the wrong way, and in films, often with the most dreadful pronunciation. *gigglefits* -> 'It seems like it should be so simple...' ;D

Oniya

Okay - I apparently know enough Spanish to be able to laugh hysterically at the commentary from the luchador wrestlers.  Not sure where I picked that up.  O_o
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ReanimateMagnus

I know how you feel, I know enough Spanish to enjoy soccer. ^^ I picked mine up when I worked at McDonalds.

Izzie Aditi

Dutch is my first language. Have written + spoken English from the age of 12 (so 10 years now, and still improving).

Then there's German and French: I'm able to read and understand German, but speaking..not so much anymore. French is even rustier, I can't believe that once upon a time I could read Rousseau in French! All that's left from my French knowledge is some basics like "I don't want that", "I need a stamp" (wut?!) and the like.

I'm also slowly getting into Swedish, as boyfriend's first language is Swedish and it's very similar to Dutch (in writing, at least). 
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”