McCain on Net Neutrality.

Started by Cythieus, October 23, 2009, 09:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Try connecting to Operas site using IE and it throws up a warning about the site being possibly unsafe. Try to get another browser? .. noooooooo, big scary things out there. :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cythieus

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 27, 2009, 03:27:23 PM
Try connecting to Operas site using IE and it throws up a warning about the site being possibly unsafe. Try to get another browser? .. noooooooo, big scary things out there. :)

I was curious last night when Windows 7 made me erase iTunes because of a compatibility issue.

But IE has been doing stuff like that for some time, the same way for the longest you couldn't do anything with Microsoft sites on Fire Fox.

HairyHeretic

Thats why I have Firefox and Opera for regular browsing, and IE only for any site that refuses to work with anything else.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Celestial Goblin

Quote from: Blank on October 27, 2009, 02:44:49 AM
However I think there should be some sort of mechanism to limit or moderate how many people have or use the internet.  Bandwidth isn't exactly a limitless resource.
Heh, bandwith is only limited by the raw materials needed to build infrastructure and people needed to work in maintaince. I'm no expert, but I've heard USA net infrastructure called scarce and insufficient compared to many other countries. It might be that if ISP's start to upgrade it that will really stimulate the economy.

Cythieus

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on October 27, 2009, 03:34:18 PM
Heh, bandwith is only limited by the raw materials needed to build infrastructure and people needed to work in maintaince. I'm no expert, but I've heard USA net infrastructure called scarce and insufficient compared to many other countries. It might be that if ISP's start to upgrade it that will really stimulate the economy.

Bandwidth is limited the same way special Trading cards are limited. Much of the time the companies don't want to expend the money like Japan and some other countries have for better infrastructure.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on October 27, 2009, 03:33:15 PM
Thats why I have Firefox and Opera for regular browsing, and IE only for any site that refuses to work with anything else.

Yeah, I have Firefox, for every day use. Chrome for quick searches. Opera as a back up and IE as last resort.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on October 27, 2009, 03:34:18 PM

That seems to be the story of American Business management. They put the profit you're SUPPOSED to put in upkeep/upgrades into their wallet and then look surprised when their money pig fails to stay working.

It is sad that it seems to be the working policy of American business today to find ways to squeeze money out of what they have without fixing anything. And then look surprised when it costs more to keep the aging stuff working than it would have to do regular upgrades in the first place.

Comes back to the 'We need to make profits NOW!' outlook that American Business has now instead of a slower more rational growth.

Cythieus

This is why Obama was talking about forcing them to expand the internet and cable lines into the country like it was done with the telephones way back when. Republicans haven't really said anything like that yet.