Interest check: The Levantine Kingdom

Started by Silk, December 19, 2009, 12:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryujin

Would anyone object to throwing a dragonian into the mix? Not sure yet what position he would hold but I'm definitely interested.

Silk

Quote from: Ryujin on December 21, 2009, 01:04:33 AM
Would anyone object to throwing a Draconian into the mix? Not sure yet what position he would hold but I'm definitely interested.
Could you elaborate on what sort of stuff the character would have? For all I know it could be between a full dragon to a argonian out of elder scrolls.

I would have preferred a human royal family, however you could have married in to the family if you was royalty from another kingdom, just remember that you would have to work extra hard to earn respect from the human populace :)

Ryujin

Technically my dragonians stem from an original archetype I made, but if I had to compare it to other dragonians, mostly they would resemble Dragonlance dragonians. http://shokushu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4 Here is a link to said archetype. I doubt I need to say it, but his backstory was made for that specific board, so you can just ignore that part.

Silk

Silk

I'm a bit unsure on the magic aspects, and if he was taught in the way of the samurai he would be fairly funneled into a bodyguard role, most likely for the royal family, maybe a high ranking military official.

Although he would not have access to his personal harem. He would have access to the royal harem that all high ranking military officials would.

The problem I have with the magic is that being a dragonian, a skilled warrior, AND a skilled mage is a bit much.

Ryujin

As I said, that particular character was made for a specific board. I tend to modify a lot of the character parameters to fit the scenario.

Which brings me to my next point, though it's not to argue with you. How old do you think he is in the link, and how old do you expect him to be in Levantine? And for his magic, it's pretty specialized I think. It's not he can summon up spirits or demons or has general magic wielding skill.

In any case, it's no big deal if I have to tone his abilities down a few notches. Hell, I'll make him smaller if you want.

Silk

Smaller would be appreciated, I'm geussing that if he is only recently coming into his manliness, he would be around 500-600 years old? Assuming that he stopped aging when he was turned into a statue.

Again its just one of those things I have is for every stregnth a character has, I'd prefer that there would be a weakness to even it out. Because RPing with someone whos character is the equivilant of god is not exactly fun.

Ryujin

True enough. How about I knock him down to 7 feet, 650 lbs, made him "shorter" by about 4-6 inches and cut out the shadows and illusions? He'll have a store of ofudas made by somebody else. How's that?

Silk

Ryujin

Japanese charms, but in this case they're more like specialized spells on paper that can be used on demand. For the most part they are not offensive oriented, but if they are their power is limited in comparison to a spell cast by a fully trained magic user.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&um=1&sa=1&q=Ofuda&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0

Silk

That sounds alot more reasonable :) Keep in mind possesions can be stolen though :)

Soren

Silk and I, and maybe Rune are currently in collaboration for this RP.

Ryujin, I don't disagree with your idea, but I was going to take the name Draconian for a race of my own. Your character is similar to a half-dragon. That can work. If not, I am willing to change my character's race to 'Ancient Ones'. It's no big deal. I will even allow your shadow magic. Really Silk, it's not that powerful. I'll allow the ofuda's as well. I've been working on a system for magic. I would allow you to have fire and shadow magic types. Typically, you can only have one.

Everything will be up soon, hopefully. After it has been posted up, you can better adapt your character to the setting.

AceShriner

Hmm. I havent gotten an answer back but since it seems more than one person is working on this I'll just post here instead. Not gonna post the whole bio yet though, just the bits I think might be under question.

I had intended my black smith to be an ex-warrior of a far of kingdom of warrior magi. He would have been exiled for his chosen practice of necromancy, a magic frowned on in that society, and then found work here in Levantine as a blacksmith. His only real skills being war and necromancy. The blacksmithing role is done by undead he would have raised who had already possessed the skill to work metal in thier life.

Soren

Scratch the rules on magic.

Vandren

With apologies, I'm out.  The way things are looking to go . . . doesn't hold much interest for me, especially if the magic system Soren's proposed is used (have major issues with fantasy stereotype-based systems; with no offense intended to Soren).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Soren

Vandren,

The way things are looking to go?

I see, so the magic system is a make or break for you. This role play isn't about magic. It's about role playing and having fun. If you feel the magic system is restricting you from role playing well then this role play really isn't for you because it's not or rather it shouldn't be centered around magic or combat strictly; however, combat is not excluded.

What would you propose anyhow? If you have any suggestions I am more than willing to hear it. I'm sure we can reach a compromise.

Ryujin

Soren your jibber jabber gives me a headache. I don't even what system you're citing all that from. Frankly I'll just be happy to keep my ofudas and let that be the end of it. I don't looking for a fight, I'm just here to play man.

As for your draconian race you can have the name. I'll just switch Mine to Drachen or Drakken or... something.

Carlissa

Quote from: Ryujin on December 21, 2009, 03:13:41 PM
Soren your jibber jabber gives me a headache. I don't even what system you're citing all that from. Frankly I'll just be happy to keep my ofudas and let that be the end of it. I don't looking for a fight, I'm just here to play man.

As for your draconian race you can have the name. I'll just switch Mine to Drachen or Drakken or... something.

Well, she is just trying to help, Ryujin...

Ok, that's cool that I can't be a royal. I'll be a mage then! Pregnant elf mage! Woot!
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Ryujin

Please don't mind the way I speak, because I really don't mean anything by it. It comes from being raised in a messed up family. Anyway, I'm all I'm saying is that I'm here to RP and have some fun, that's all.

Vandren

Quote from: Soren on December 21, 2009, 02:53:30 PMThe way things are looking to go?

Yep.

QuoteI see, so the magic system is a make or break for you. This role play isn't about magic. It's about role playing and having fun. If you feel the magic system is restricting you from role playing well then this role play really isn't for you because it's not or rather it shouldn't be centered around magic or combat strictly; however, combat is not excluded.

Thanks for trying to put words in people's mouths or to be telepathic.  Sadly, neither seems to be working today.  After 25+ years of RPing and 13+ of writing, I'm not that shallow.  Nor do I necessarily feel the need to list every issue I've got (and there are several based on many of the posts here thus far, not just your's, so there's no need to feel persecuted).  Please don't try to make up my motives, because you don't have enough information to figure out even the most surface level motivation in this case.  In simple form: the idea had potential, IMO, based on early posts, but I'm not all that interested in how it is developing, end of story.

That said, a magic system is important because, as Orson Scott Card noted (probably the only thing he and I agree on), it says something about the logic and structure of the world in which it is situated.  It is also an important element of how fantasy worlds work and develop (see Videssos versus Lankhmar versus Melnibone versus Deryni versus Discworld, for example).  And, quite frankly, the system as outlined makes no logical sense.  Instead, it seems to be based on overdone cliches and video game randomness.  Now, that said, there might be more explanation to it that has just been left out for the sake of brevity in the given situation and would make some sort of logical sense, in which case, great.
-- To clarify, the above applies mostly to the division of branches to races and the choice of terminology ("anima" makes no sense in this context as currently discussed).  The Shadow and Arcane division also appears to be more random than anything else.  The "draws its power from the caster" part is not an issue as such, IMO (it's old hat for a GURPS-er and fantasist).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Silk

Same, I don't mind magic as long as it isn't stupidly overwhelming. I'm OK to allow alot of things to happen. But that is very reliant on player discretion, which after I had RPS where half demon women are somehow able to seduce the entire royal family, become the regent above them without anyone batting a eyelid over this or any resistance from the significant characters. I'm very skeptical about player discretion.

And to be honest Vandren. If this is the sort of attitude you have towards people trying to make a enjoyable game for everyone. The I don't really think I would want you in any of my RPs.

Soren

Vandren,

Your concerns have been noted.

This is a message for everyone: Forget the rules around magic. It is now freeform. Do what you like within reason.

Have fun.

*Edit

Carlissa, you can be a royal character if you want.

AthenaNude

I believe in the old KISS method (Keep It Simple, Stupid).  If there's a way to make anything less complicated then it is to be lauded.  I like the free form method much more than using any sort of gaming system but I'm biased since I haven't played any tabletop RPG's in a long time...and free form lends itself to more desirable results than mere chance or the fickle roll of the dice.  As long as it isn't abused I see nothing wrong with free form.

Me, I'm happy to play a fun-loving ambassador from a distant exotic land, eager to build new friendships and explore fresh challenges.

Soren

I agree Athena. Kisses for everyone. Athena, you can have your exotic kingdom as well.

You guys can start posting character profiles.

Silk will keep all the updates on the first page.

{Here is my profile…}

Name: Soren Windam
Apparent Age: 17-19
Actual Age: 21
Handedness: Ambidextrous
Eye Colour: Crimson
Hair Colour: Onyx
Height: 162.56cm; 5' 4”
Weight:  45kg, 100lbs
Build: Short and Slender

Race: Draconian. An ancient people remembered only in myths and legend. They were said to have wings, and lived in vast cities above the clouds. Legend has it that they destroyed themselves; infact, Soren may be the last surviving member of his race.

Appearance: Soren is a young man with straight silky but heavy onyx hair that flows down past the small of his back, hair contrasted by his light complexion. His eyes are crimson. Standing at average height for a woman, Soren has a slender frame with feminine curves, the hourglass figure. On close inspection one can also notice that his index finger is longer than his ring finger and the front his neck presents no sign of a laryngeal prominence. His voice sounds somewhat feminine though not the stereotypical gay male voice, but the high and stout voice of a refined woman. As a consequential result, Soren's physical features and higher than normal voice for a man make him easily mistaken for a young lady. Occasionally, this embarrassing situation is diffused when Soren confronts the onlooker and says "I am a man." Of course, there are some who are skeptics and many of whom would more accurately be coined as perverts in his mind.

This dilemma is due to Soren having a Disorder of Sex Development (DSD) which is a medical term referring to congenital conditions in which development of chromosomal, gonadal, or anatomical sex is atypical. Basically, he is an intersex male, and genetically, he is a male with the XY Chromosome, but he possesses female reproductive sex organs. He is infertile but does menstruate a few times a year and is much more likely to spur a random and perhaps unexpected cycle if he behaves 'too feminine' for several days. The amount of excess estrogen produced through this behaviour is enough to bring about a menstrual cycle along with the slight swelling of his normally flat chest which is usually a tell-tale sign that he had better get his act together.

Very few people know of this for certain. Among these people are Soren’s Stepmother and her bodyguard, and Yui.

Occupation: Before being an ambassador for the state, Soren is a scholar.
Likes: Biology, botany, educational literature, teaching and himself of course.
Dislikes: A great many things though particularly, he dislikes sadists.
Markings: He has an oddly shaped birth mark which is centered on his forehead. It is hidden with a little makeup.
Personality: Soren can be quite the narcissist at times and may often seem rude, speaking to people as if they are inferior to him, but his true nature is very different. However, this excludes his narcissist behavior.

Weapons of Choice: His mind and if that does not work, a well concealed dagger that is laced with an extremely potent and deadly neurotoxin. Don’t be fooled though, Soren isn’t good with daggers or any type of weapon in general. Physically, he isn’t strong at all but he is graceful and dexterous.

History: Simply put, Soren was a bastard in more than one way. Both Soren and his mother were fortunate that a man of high class gentry took them in and married his gorgeous mother. At his young age Soren was aware that his so called father might have had ulterior motives so he never really accepted the man as such but that didn’t mean Soren hadn’t respected him, after-all he did enroll him in the finest academic institutions available.

Some years later Soren’s mother had died of a slow working illness of which there was no cure. This was a devastating and inevitable loss for him at his still young age, but he still persevered and dug himself deeper into his studies to compensate. Soren’s father however was said to have taken the death of his wife more gravely and after a few more years he also died, leaving the entire estate in Soren’s hands.

Unfortunately, after the death of Soren’s mother his stepfather quickly found a young new woman for himself. At 5’ 9”, she was a taller than her husband by an inch at least. Her being an accountant was the added bonus, so he had her placed into the position of Head of Financial Affairs in the Empire in their first two years of their marriage. She also works closely with The Slavers Guild. Soren did not approve of her. She was meddlesome, especially impolite to him when his stepfather wasn’t around and dreadfully controlling.

Presently, Soren lives with his abusive step mother, who on a daily basis --anytime Soren is around his stepmother at home or in private she verbally abuses or humiliates him to almost limitless extent. She will try to find anything to berate him about, from the way he walks to the way he talks, his ‘physical’ condition, his studious lifestyle and the ‘naughty’ habit of his, even in front of his friends. If Soren says so much as one word in these one sided arguments --being him this is a difficult task-- it escalates her already inappropriate and absurd behaviour. Blood and bruises are rare but not uncommon at the end of it all.  Soren’s stepmother seems to enjoy this, though with others, she would never dream of behaving in this manner, however; she is to some extent a sadist and most definitely will step on anyone who will let her. Not to mention, she rarely calls Soren by his given name. She has settled on the nickname Serena for quite some years.

Fortunately for Soren, she is a busy person herself and frequents travel. The down side to her frequent travels is she hardly ever leaves without her personal assistant with whom Soren has developed a close relationship. Soren seems to have a crush on her but she doesn’t seem as anything more than a good friend. She is an extensively trained bodyguard. She is six feet tall and boasts more muscle than the average male but she is clearly a women and there is no mistaking this.

Soren has his own personal assistant as well, a young oriental lady by the name Yui Kirihara who takes great pride in her bust. How she came to be Soren’s personal assistant is a troublesome story. Her happy go lucky demeanor has grown on him and he continues to learn to tolerate her. Soren doesn’t know much about her other than she is trained in the oriental martial arts and that she is a habitual pervert, at least around him. If Soren were to accumulate a dollar for every time Yui made an advance on him, or blurted out a perversely snide statement, he would be considerably wealthier.

When Soren is at his estate, he can usually be found in his quarters, in the library reading, or his laboratory with Yui close by, somewhere.

Other: All the servants at Soren’s estate are female.

{This is my second character: If someone wants to play Yui, and thinks they can play this character well, PM me.}

Name: Yui Kurenai
Apparent Age: 17-19
Actual Age: 19
Handedness: Right
Eye Colour: Grey
Hair Colour: Black
Height: 169 cm; 5’ 6½”
Weight: Umm no…
Build: Athletic
Likes: Yui likes material objects and getting what she wants.
Dislikes: Travelling at sea. She suffers from motion sickness.
Markings: None.

Personality: She has a very spunky and somewhat tomboyish personality and tends to be a little short-tempered. She is not the least bit submissive. She will listen to Soren’s instructions if he asks very asks nicely.

Weapons of Choice: Yui’s training has taught her how to wield a wide variety of weapons with extreme efficiency, even objects not originally meant for combat.

Background: Not much is known other than she forcefully tagged along with Soren upon her ‘incidental’ encounter with him, having hopes of using the rich scholar to further her own goals. She is sly, habitually self-centered and her behavioural disposition often leads to brash decision-making and tumultuous relationships. (The rest is up to you should you choose this role.)

Yui has been living with Soren for around two years now but has yet to make her move. During this time she has elected herself as Soren’s bodyguard, ‘unofficially’ however.

{Okay.. that’s my character profile. If I can get people to play Soren’s Step mother and his stepmother’s bodyguard, that would be great. If you read through Soren’s profile, you’ll get a small backdrop on the characters. The rest is up to you.}