Pocket Monster Stadium: Battle Island (System - PTU)

Started by eternaldarkness, June 06, 2015, 12:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Rhynarion on June 08, 2015, 05:22:05 PM
This, seconded. I style myself with tanky pokes, so I end up spending about 66-75% of my stats in HP and defenses; I don't often go around raising speed to be honest.

Query, Sir Darkness.

Does Run Up apply to ranged attacks too - such as Stone Edge? The wording implies that it can, as it only requires moving in a straight line toward the target when attacking.

Interestingly, you can make Outrage hit 3 targets up to 4m away since it is a Burst move and thus is legal for Scattershot from Ace trainer. You lose the ability to hit potentially nine targets if you are surrounded, but I think it is almost fair trade.

I can't decide if I want Stone Edge or Dragon Claw for my free move. The elemental bites are nice, but 50-50 of procing flinch is less than ideal. Status is nice, but the whole 'best defense is good offense' is doubly noted when you have a 40-50% chance of ripping their turn away.

Since shinies are so prevalent, does that mean that there are other ways to type-shift pokemon besides being a Type-Ace? I would assume such at least, with the amount implied to occur in the wild.

Speed is actually superior to Def and Sdef as a defensive stat because it protects against all evadable attacks. It also has the benefit of improving initiative.

I rule that run up applies to ranged attacks too. The mechanics trump the fluff there, and it won't break anything.

As for shinies, the in-setting reason they're so prevalent is because during the baby boom lots of morphs were interbreeding wantonly (No really, it was mostly PC morphs too) and that's in addition to type-shifted individuals also breeding and people using This Ones Special, I Know It to make even more extra special babies, all of whom have been breeding for 20 years.

Rhynarion

My reasoning for why speed isn't explicitly better is that if you do get hit, it doesn't reduce the damage at all. Getting to +6 / +6 (+12) evasion is not easy, at least not how I've seen the game run.

I tend to rely more on effective health than RNG to determine my ability as a tank rather than a sweeper.

TheFourthShade

Don't some effects and attacks ignore or reduce speed's effect on evasion, as well?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheFourthShade on June 08, 2015, 10:46:18 PM
Don't some effects and attacks ignore or reduce speed's effect on evasion, as well?

Some do, and a few attacks always hit. There are also attacks that ignore other defenses or just let you choose which defense to target.

Rhynarion

Can we fluff attacks how we want?

Like for example can my Iron Head be more like Iron Crush; picking someone up in my jaws and slamming them back down with extreme force?

So long as I don't try to say strong jaw applies to it, ect, this should be fine?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Rhynarion on June 08, 2015, 11:47:27 PM
Can we fluff attacks how we want?

Like for example can my Iron Head be more like Iron Crush; picking someone up in my jaws and slamming them back down with extreme force?

So long as I don't try to say strong jaw applies to it, ect, this should be fine?

Oh goodness, yes. I don't care how you fluff it, it won't change the mechanics. In fact I encourage people to fluff how they like for unique style, since every trainer, Pokémon species, and region have their own unique variations on moves.

I'm crashing early tonight, but I'm off work tomorrow and will get character, ooc, and the first IC thread up. I owe Miroque some stats for her eevee and Roy's revised stats and background too. If anyone else needs anything else, ask me or Rhynarion. Preferably both of us. I'll be consulting my Co-Gm's on most things anyway.

Get those characters done so we can get rolling.

Warlock

Quote from: Premier on June 08, 2015, 04:09:27 PMPlaying a guy for the first time in an age! Though one that might get mistaken for a girl a lot.

Ohhhhh.... <3

*Jumps on Scraggy and holds him tightly*
Never leave me!
*Throws Pokeball and presses B repeatedly*

Premier

Well I do need a trainer! Left my Cash and Tutor Points free just for that even, so I can tailor myself to them a bit.

Miroque

Character sheet:

Name: E-v-ee
Race: Evee Pokemorph
Legal status: Free pokemon. Her birth is not registered by any database.

Personality: Evee loves to stay on her pokemon form, as her morph is more pokemon that human, causing her to look nonhuman anyway, and with her first trainer, she learned that humans are uncaring folk, not like pokemons. They are motivated by greed and other unlikable traits. She loves night and nightsky and in her dreams, she dreams of darkness.

(( All gaming stuff is coming up, when Gm gets them done ))

Warlock

Quote from: Premier on June 09, 2015, 03:31:57 AM
Well I do need a trainer! Left my Cash and Tutor Points free just for that even, so I can tailor myself to them a bit.

You can check out my trainer, the mentor skills are at 8 total (Charm 4, Intuition 4) so you can learn both Headbutt and Swagger if you'd like for a tutor point. My Lopunny, Lana, is a very defensive pokemon benefitting from Technique Archive, Bright Powder, Stats, Inspired Training, Trickster Orders and Moves (Endure, Protect, Magic Coat), she also happens to be in the Field egg group (sharing that with Scraggy). Depending on how ''Your Pokemon'' is interpreted you'd benefit from a few of the above yourself.

The nature of their relationship, could be anything childhood friends, accidental catch in a forest, either of them being saved from being run over by a bus by the other or whatever. If you'd like to collaborate, please send me a PM and we can see if we can work something out.

On Bright Powder, would that count as Stat Evasion for the purposes of Dazzling Dervish (In short, increased Move Speed and pass through targets get negative to attack), since it affects a Stat Evasion (Speed) but is not derived from a stat.

Rhynarion

Now, for battles - how do you want us to format it?

I was thinking a spoiler below the RP of the post, with the crunch in it?

-Obviously raw stats should be hidden, but- should evasion be posted? It would feel weird narratively to me if we described our attacks hitting in our post, but they didn't actually connect (with me having no way of knowing that) due to unknown evasion. Maybe I am overthinking this because anyone could reference the sheets?

Also, to the rest of you - I am available for questions all day / at any time. PMs go directly to my Email and I check the thread every hour or so. Sir Darkness and I appear to value different stats, which I think is awesome - it means everyone can get a second opinion. I have dissected this system at length in my spare time.

Fun Fact of the Day: Fury Cutter

Fury Cutter gets big dangerous if you apply Unbalancing Blow (Brutal Training Signature Technique; Single Target moves). This makes it inflict Vulnerable on a hit or miss. Fury Cutter starts out at 4 Base Power but swings up to 16 after three consecutive hits. At AC3, once you inflict vulnerable and spend a poke edge to bring it down to AC2 or just apply Focused Training / Orders you are swinging against AC2 every time - since you only need to tie AC to hit, you only miss on a natural 1. Short of protect, parry, detect, ect. or the opponent outranging you with movement, your damage can rapidly spiral out of control.

Vulnerable Condition removes all evasion from the target until they are next hit or for one full round.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Miroque on June 09, 2015, 04:48:04 AM
Character sheet:

Race: Evee Pokemorph
Legal status: Free pokemon. Her birth is not registered by any database.

Personality: Evee loves to stay on her pokemon form, as her morph is more pokemon that human, causing her to look nonhuman anyway, and with her first trainer, she learned that humans are uncaring folk, not like pokemons. They are motivated by greed and other unlikable traits. She loves night and nightsky and in her dreams, she dreams of darkness.

(( All gaming stuff is coming up, when Gm gets them done ))

Species: Eevee - Pokemorph
Type: Normal
Basic Ability: Run Away
Nature: Jolly (+Spd/-Satk)
Level: 10
XP:
Loyalty: -
Tutor Points: 5/5

Capability List
Overland 4, Jump 1/1, Power 2, Tracker, Underdog

Skill List
Athl 3d6+2, Acro 2d6+1, Combat 2d6, Stealth 2d6+1,
Percep 2d6+1, Focus 2d6, Guile 2d6+1, Charm 3d6+2, Intimidate 1d6

(Base Stats) Level-up (20 points)
HP: (6) 10
Attack: (6) 10
Defense: (5) 9
Special Attack: (4) 4
Special Defense: (7) 11
Speed: (7) 11

Hit Points: 50

Moves

1 Move: Helping Hand
Frequency: EOT
AC: None
Class: Status
Range: 4, 1 Target, Priority
Effect: Helping Hand grants the target +2 on their next
Accuracy Roll this round, and +10 to the next Damage
Roll this round.
Contest Type: Smart
Contest Effect: Good Show!

1 Move: Growl
Frequency: At-Will
AC: 2
Range: Burst 1, Friendly, Sonic, Social
Effect: Growl lowers all Legal Targets Attack 1 Combat
Stage.
Contest Type: Cute
Contest Effect: Excitement

1 Move: Tackle
Damage Base 5: 1d8+8 / 13
Class: Physical
Range: Melee, 1 Target, Dash, Push
Effect: The target is pushed 2 Meters.
Contest Type: Tough
Contest Effect: Steady Performance

1 Move: Tail Whip
Range: Burst 1, Friendly
Effect: All legal targets have their Defense lowered by 1
Combat Stage.

5 Move: Sand Attack
Type: Ground
Range: 2, 1 Target
Effect: The target is Blinded until the end of their next
turn.

9 Move: Baby-Doll Eyes
Type: Fairy
Range: 4, 1 Target, Priority, Social
Effect: The target’s Attack is lowered 1 Combat Stage.

Poke Edges

Gear/Held Items:
Money: $5,000

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Rhynarion on June 09, 2015, 02:04:53 PM
Now, for battles - how do you want us to format it?

I was thinking a spoiler below the RP of the post, with the crunch in it?

-Obviously raw stats should be hidden, but- should evasion be posted? It would feel weird narratively to me if we described our attacks hitting in our post, but they didn't actually connect (with me having no way of knowing that) due to unknown evasion. Maybe I am overthinking this because anyone could reference the sheets?

Also, to the rest of you - I am available for questions all day / at any time. PMs go directly to my Email and I check the thread every hour or so. Sir Darkness and I appear to value different stats, which I think is awesome - it means everyone can get a second opinion. I have dissected this system at length in my spare time.

Fun Fact of the Day: Fury Cutter

Fury Cutter gets big dangerous if you apply Unbalancing Blow (Brutal Training Signature Technique; Single Target moves). This makes it inflict Vulnerable on a hit or miss. Fury Cutter starts out at 4 Base Power but swings up to 16 after three consecutive hits. At AC3, once you inflict vulnerable and spend a poke edge to bring it down to AC2 or just apply Focused Training / Orders you are swinging against AC2 every time - since you only need to tie AC to hit, you only miss on a natural 1. Short of protect, parry, detect, ect. or the opponent outranging you with movement, your damage can rapidly spiral out of control.

Vulnerable Condition removes all evasion from the target until they are next hit or for one full round.

Well, if you (or Darkness) want to give any advice on changes I could make to Nissa, that'd be awesome. I've madea couple PTU characters, but never actually used them ...

TheFourthShade

I'm not a supreme expert, but I could offer aid as well.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: TheFourthShade on June 09, 2015, 03:26:45 PM
I'm not a supreme expert, but I could offer aid as well.
The more help the better, I think, although I don't want to be bugging everyone with this.

eternaldarkness

For battles, you'll give the bare minimum necessary to keep from slowing things down - Hit Points, # of Injuries, Def, Sdef, Sdef, Speed, Evasions and relevant abilities and capabilities.

League battles work as per the book - lowest init declares, faster inits get to act in response to the slower persons move.

Non-league battles are up to the participants. If they decide to fight by league rules, then see above. If not...fastest init goes first, and everything is legal.

I'm working on the threads now. They should be up shortly.

Joanie - it looks like you have a solidly built fairy ace there. I don't see any real issues at first glance.

kckolbe

I normally do very well with systems, but this is extremely tedious and I am just not getting it.  This is very different from the baseline 3 system I played (in which chars had D&D attributes).  I know which edges I want to start with, and the *basic* stuff for my starting pokemon, but there are rules for rules in this damn game, and I feel like I don't qualify for *any* features.  Other than picking a pokemon, stats, and nature, I don't know what to do for them.

I just feel the creation rules are way too complicated for a game about pokemon.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Premier

It's not so bad, the Char Gen in the book will take you through it.

It comes mainly down to Skills for what Trainer Classes you want to take. I think there's a Char Gen google doc that'll do a lot of the hard work for you too

JoanieSappho

Yeah, you'll want to start with what classes you want, then build back from there.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: kckolbe on June 09, 2015, 04:24:17 PM
I normally do very well with systems, but this is extremely tedious and I am just not getting it.  This is very different from the baseline 3 system I played (in which chars had D&D attributes).  I know which edges I want to start with, and the *basic* stuff for my starting pokemon, but there are rules for rules in this damn game, and I feel like I don't qualify for *any* features.  Other than picking a pokemon, stats, and nature, I don't know what to do for them.

I just feel the creation rules are way too complicated for a game about pokemon.

As has been stated, focus on what you want to do and don't get tripped up by trying to optimize. It is pretty much guaranteed you'll make a mistake or three, and that's kind of the point. The good part is every decision is reversible with a few xp, even edge and feature choices.

The easiest way is to pick two classes at first and grab mostly features from those until you want to branch out. Use edges to qualify as-needed, and that's all there is to it.

Lynx181

GAH! is it true that its being revived? well this is certainly interesting...

*Looks at sola being a gym leader* thank you for honoring her sensai

eternaldarkness

Quote from: OyabunKyuubi on June 10, 2015, 07:00:06 AM
*grumble grumbles*

you might entice me into this ED I need to download the new books and all but you might not promising anything...

I never did get to use my Gal i made last time... Anything new I personally need to know about or is she Ready and Rearing to go with everything and Fenfire?

M`asha
2nd stage evo
3rd stage evo

Trainer Sheet
Name: M'asha  | Action Points: 7/7  | Level: 10
Age: 18 Height: 5'0” Weight: 123 lbs (WC 4)  Type: Ice  Species: Roisel
Nature: Modest + Sp Attack - Attack Likes: Dry Dislikes: Spicy
Tutor Points: 2/2

Abilities Limber  Tags: RFID tag (Id:00148589)

Classes: Hunter/Aura Guardian/Frost touched

Basic Attributes
Body  : +2
Mind  : +2
Spirit: +1

Total  =  Base Stats  +  Stat Points  + Miscellaneous
HP             :    10   =      5       +       2       + 3
Attack         :     3   =      3       +       0       + 0
Defense        :    10   =      4       +       6       + 0
Special Attack :    12   =      8       +       3       + 1
Special Defense:    10   =      6       +       4       + 0
Speed          :    12   =      7       +       3       + 2

Total Stat Points: 20

Total Hit Points: 55/55

Evasion (Phy/Spc/Spd): +2/+2/+2

Capability
  Overland    : 6
  Swimming    : 3
  Jump        : 0/1
  Power       : 6
  Throw       : 8
Freezer
Glow
Naturewalk (Taiga)
Underdog
Aura Reading
Aura Pulse

Edges Lvl 1: Mystic senses/Natural Theory/Medical training

Lvl 2: Edge: Basic skill: Acrobatics Edge: Adept skill: Intuition

Lvl 6: Edge: Adept skill: Athletics

Lvl 10: Edge: Adept skill: Medical Edu Edge: Expert skill: Intuition

Features Lvl 1: Hunter/Agility training/First aid

Lvl 4: Feature: Pack Tactics

Lvl 8: Feature: Aura Guardian

Background: Naive Innocent
  Skills Up  :Intuition, Medical Edu, Survival, Athletics, Stealth
  Skills Down:Occult edu, Guile, Intimidate, General Edu, Focus

Skills
  Athletics   : 4d6+2
  Acrobatics  : 3d6+2
  Combat      : 2d6+2
  Intimidate  : 1d6+2
  Stealth     : 3d6+2
  Survival    : 3d6+2+2
  Education
    General   : 1d6+2
    Medicine  : 4d6+2
    Pokemon   : 2d6+2
    Occult    : 1d6+2
    Technology: 2d6+2
  Guile       : 1d6+2
  Perception  : 2d6+2
  Charm       : 2d6+1
  Command     : 2d6+1
  Focus       : 1d6+1
  Intuition   : 5d6+1

Move List:
--------------------------
Struggle (Ice)
Special, At-Will, AC 4
Melee
DB 6: 2d6+12 / 19
Lvl 1 – Tackle – Normal
Physical, At-Will, Ac 3
DB 4: 1d8+3 / 8
Melee, 1 Target, Dash, Push
Lvl 1 – Tail Whip – Normal
Status, At will, Ac 2
Burst 1, Friendly
Effect: The target’s Defense is lowered 1 Combat Stage.
Lvl 1 – Defense Curl (Normal)
Status, At-Will, Ac -
Self
Effect:The user becomes Curled Up. While Curled Up,
the user becomes immune to Critical Hits and gains 10
Damage Reduction. However, while Curled Up, the user
is Slowed and their Accuracy is lowered by -4. The user
may stop being Curled Up as a Swift Action. If the user
has Rollout or Ice Ball in their Move List, they do not
become Slowed while Curled Up. Furthermore, when
using the Moves Rollout or Ice Ball while Curled Up,
the user gains a +10 bonus to the damage rolls of those
Moves and does not suffer Accuracy Penalties from
being Curled Up.
----------------------
Lvl 4 – Powder Snow (Ice)
Special, At-Will, AC 2
Range Line 4
DB 6: 2d6+12/ 19
Effect: Powder Snow Freezes all Legal Targets on 19+.
----------------------
Lvl 9 – Quick Attack (Normal)
Physical, At-Will, AC 2
Melee, 1 Target, Priority
Effect: Priority - If the user has not yet taken their turn
that round, Quick Attack may be declared during a
foe’s turn to immediately take your turn and use Quick
Attack.
----------------------
Tutor – Swift – Normal
Special, EoT, Ac -
Range 8, Ranged blast 2, Friendly
Damage Base 6: 2d6+12 / 19
Effect: Swift cannot Miss.
----------------------
~Slot 7~
----------------------
~Slot 8~
----------------------
~Slot 9~
----------------------
~Slot 10~
----------------------

Pokemon Sheet
Species:   Fenfire   | Type:   Fire    | Level:10 | Name: Haruto
Nature : Modest (+Special attack, - Attack) Likes: Dry Dislikes: Spicy
Ability: Sunglow

Tutor points: 3/3

Held Item :

Total  =  Base Stats  +  Stat Points  + Miscellaneous
Hit Points     :    7    =      4       +       3       + x
Attack         :    3    =      3       +       x       + x
Defense        :   10    =      4       +       6       + x
Special Attack :   12    =      9       +       3       + x
Special Defense:   10    =      6       +       4       + x
Speed          :   10    =      6       +       4       + x

Total Stat Points: 20

Total HP: 41/41

Evasion (Phy/Spc/Spd): +2/+2/+2

Capability
  Overland    : 5
  Swim        : 1
  Jump        : 1/1
  Power       : 5
  Intelligence: 3
Alluring
Egg warmer
Firestarter
Glow
Heater
Packmon
Tracker
Underdog

Skills
  Athletics : 2d6
  Acrobatics: 3d6
  Combat    : 1d6
  Stealth   : 1d6
  Perception: 2d6+1
  Focus     : 2d6

Move List
Struggle (Fire)
Special, At-Will, AC 4
Melee
DB 6: 2d6+12 / 19
----------------------
Lvl 1 – Tackle – Normal
Physical, At-Will, Ac 3
Melee, 1 Target, Dash, Push
----------------------
Lvl 1 – Tail Whip – Normal
Status, At will, Ac 2
Burst 1, Friendly
Effect: The target’s Defense is lowered 1 Combat Stage.
----------------------
Lvl – 7 – Ember (Fire)
Special, At-Will, Ac 2
DB 6: 2d6+12/19
Range 4, 1 target
Effect: Ember Burns the target on 18+.
----------------------
Lvl – 10 - Lick  (Ghost)
Physical, At-Will, Ac 2
DB 3: 1d6+3/7
Melee, 1 target
Effect: Lick Paralyzes the target on 15+ during Accuracy
Check.
----------------------
~move 5~
----------------------
~move 6~
----------------------

Equipment: First Aid Kit, Water Filter, 4 bandages, 3 heal balls, 5 enriched water, 25 PD
Experience:

*Hugs fiercely* I knew that if I left tasty bait you two would be lured in :D

M'Asha needs some tweaking, but should be easy to update.

Quote from: Lynx181 on June 10, 2015, 07:15:42 AM
GAH! is it true that its being revived? well this is certainly interesting...

*Looks at sola being a gym leader* thank you for honoring her sensai

:) generally the most interesting personalities got left in as NPC's. I considered making all new ones but realized I could never outdo what you guys had already done.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 10, 2015, 12:00:54 PM
:) generally the most interesting personalities got left in as NPC's. I considered making all new ones but realized I could never outdo what you guys had already done.

Oh, I see how it is, no Ally or Rei :P

Going to stat Celia up as a trainer, telepath/musician. Would any morph player like an empathic rocker gal as their trainer?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

OyabunKobold

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 10, 2015, 12:00:54 PM
*Hugs fiercely* I knew that if I left tasty bait you two would be lured in :D

M'Asha needs some tweaking, but should be easy to update.

Yes tweaking Ill get right on it maybe after the thrice damned books download Ive tried 6 times now and they get to like 25 mb before failing or saying theyre finished when they arent

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0