Offensive Usernames

Started by Greenthorn, June 13, 2008, 12:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

Maybe I'm being picky, maybe I'm being snobby, maybe I'm being *gasp* too mature, but some of the recent usernames coming in are quite offensive...even to me.  I'd like to see a change in the rules maybe, to keep usernames either unsexualized, or in the very least PG-13.  Sorry but if the shoutbox is public and some of those usernames are there *shudders*.

I have nothing against the -people-, just their preferred usernames.  Exploded Condom, Captain Cockface...*shakes head* I wouldn't want even my mother to see those names!

Sherona

*grins* We have also had a Scrotum and a Pussy Licker :) all shudder-full names. While I love the idea of a rule of being unsexualized however, this could be interpreted quite broadly. Peole with names that have titles commonly used in BDSM could be seen as sexualized names...Dominatrix, Master, Slave...

I would really like to see perhaps a "suggestion" if its possible, upon account creation talking about the sensibilities of these names. ok, I really cant find a nice gentle way of saying what I am about to say...and please forgive me in advance for any offense I cause...

We belong to a site that allows erotic RP, but I happen to think that teh majority of the people here are classy individuals, and perhaps suggest that ..crude names...might set them off on the wrong foot?

Greenthorn

You're right, "sexualized" was probably not the best term...but PG-13 is more fitting :)  (In word and meaning)

Caeli

You're not the only one. I'd like to see new members refrain from the use of crude or vulgar words in their chosen handles here on Elliquiy. =/
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sherona

*sighs and gathers Caeli and GT into her "prude club"" hehehe :P

Caeli

Quote from: Sherona on June 13, 2008, 12:48:05 PM
*sighs and gathers Caeli and GT into her "prude club"" hehehe :P

*hides under Sherona's hair* Well, I mean, with names like those, what are we even supposed to call them? It just seems so awkward...
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Sherona

Quote from: Caeli on June 13, 2008, 12:49:17 PM
*hides under Sherona's hair* Well, I mean, with names like those, what are we even supposed to call them? It just seems so awkward...

lol I am now imagining a scene at the local mall

Sherona> Hey Caeli guess who I just ran into?
Caeli> Who?
Sherona> I ran into Pussy Licker and CocknBalls..we had a riot even though we kept getting funny looks whenever I addressed one in name..

The Great Triangle

I think a prohibition against using words you couldn't say in a PG rated film would work out pretty well.  

A general style note that numbers in names are unnecessary might also be nice, but on the other hand, underage users have been caught before because they included their real ages or birthdates as numbers in their name, so we might as well let that in.

*goes ahead and joins the prude club, if only to get some hot prude action*

Really, if there's going to be sexual user names, they should at least be veiled in layers of innuendo.
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Kathadon

Ah that is why you need a handy Nickname Generator.

You ladies are in luck! I have one here for a very resonible price. *winks*

Name your friends, name your pets, name your kids, name your friend's kids! It does it all.

Hurry the operator is standing by.

Visa, Master card, libray card, heck any card is excepted.
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

ShrowdedPoet

You take foodstamps cards?
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Kathadon

Only for the edible Nickname Generator. ;D

Edible Nickname Generator only available in select markets.

At this fine realtalor: Marty-mart

Caution: Some parts may not be edible. May cause side effects. Side effects include choking.

Made in China
My ON'S and OFF'S:

My BDSM test results.

Trieste

The line between 'tasteful' and 'offensive' is a very fine one, and one that shifts a lot. The only line we have in the rules re: offensive is the stuff banning personal attacks, and it's for a reason.

To some people, the non-con section is offensive.

To some people, the vanilla section is boring and not what they want to read.

To some people, the exotic sections are just not right.

To some people, the bondage section is just totally not their thing.

Do I even need to mention the extreme section?

In that light, if someone puts together a username that says "URMOMFCKSGOATS", then it would be against the rules and we would ask them to change it. But considering the variety of people we have here, it seems awfully close-minded to look down on something not because it's against the rules, but because it 'isn't decent' or something similar.

Kalen

Actually, considering that usernames will be publically visible, I don't think it's all that unreasonable that they get restricted to a PG-13 level.  Maybe that could part of the 'maturity' clause that the Sirens, God and Goddesses have to consider when looking at a new user?  Some people might have to be asked to change their name.

t'is just my 2 cents.

Kathadon

Pg-13 names should be the limit just because of site rules for publicly visible content. Which includes the Shoutbox.

There. *puts another 2 cents in the jar and goes to huck his Nickname generator elsewhere*
My ON'S and OFF'S:

My BDSM test results.

Valerian

It is, unfortunately, an awfully fine line.  However, since guests do see the Shoutbox and some forums, names really should have to be PG-13 as well.  It's just harder to decide what qualifies as PG-13 in that case.  Is 'Whipsandchains' acceptable?  Not an easy thing to set down in a rule.

On the other hand, earlier today the Shoutbox was full of messages from 'Exploded Condom' and 'Captain Cockface', and if I was a visitor seeing that, I'd leave without looking any further.   :P
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Sherona

QuoteOn the other hand, earlier today the Shoutbox was full of messages from 'Exploded Condom' and 'Captain Cockface', and if I was a visitor seeing that, I'd leave without looking any further.

I would do the same *nodnods*

Trieste

Captain Cockface is underage and has been restricted... no longer an issue for the moment.

There is really nothing not-PG-13 about Exploded Condom or Scrotum...

I believe 'Pussy Licker' is the only name out of the given examples that actually fits the non-PG-13 tag. Don't get me wrong ... explicit names in public places is one thing, but my point is that 'offensive' is not a guideline.

Sherona

Quote from: Trieste on June 13, 2008, 02:39:17 PM
Captain Cockface is underage and has been restricted... no longer an issue for the moment.

There is really nothing not-PG-13 about Exploded Condom or Scrotum...

I believe 'Pussy Licker' is the only name out of the given examples that actually fits the non-PG-13 tag. Don't get me wrong ... explicit names in public places is one thing, but my point is that 'offensive' is not a guideline.

I believe that the only thing that was mentioned as a guideline was Sexualized and PG-13, GT mentioned some of the names were offensive to her, but stated her suggestion as teh above. I agreed with the pg-13 and voiced why I thought the sexualized names would be too generalized to make into a rule.

Indeed Explosive Condom falls just short of crossing the PG-13 but perhaps just a friendly reminder where people upon sign up can see that Names are first impression, and that one should be careful about their names :)

Valerian

*is apparently a prude*

Yeah, there really isn't a simple guideline that will work for this, I'm afraid.  Perhaps just a gentle mention in some FAQ or intro somewhere to think twice about the name you choose, if that's acceptable.

They are hurting themselves, too, in a way, since they may very well be limiting the number of others who would want to roleplay with them...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Sherona

Quote from: Valerian on June 13, 2008, 02:52:21 PM
*is apparently a prude*

Yeah, there really isn't a simple guideline that will work for this, I'm afraid.  Perhaps just a gentle mention in some FAQ or intro somewhere to think twice about the name you choose, if that's acceptable.

They are hurting themselves, too, in a way, since they may very well be limiting the number of others who would want to roleplay with them...

Or associate withthem OOCly :/

*welcomes Valerian into the Prude club*

Xillen

Exploding Condom renamed herself, if I'm not mistaken, to ExCo, which fixes the other issue, though I admit, I had a lot less problem with that name than with the Cockface one (though I'm tolerateable enough to accept either), since the Condom nick mostly seemed to make fun of herself.

Sherona

I, for one, was not horribly upset by explosive condom, though it did make me cringe...cockface, pussylicker yeah..these two really does go beyond the pg-13ness of public places and did put me at unease.

But I was referring to future sign ups rather then already in sign ups.

Valerian

Quote from: Sherona on June 13, 2008, 02:53:16 PM
*welcomes Valerian into the Prude club*

Woo, I'm in a club!  *dances, discreetly*

Yes, I was thinking more for the future, also -- it's just seemed in danger of becoming a trend, recently.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Paradox

*edges his way into the room, standing with the proud prudes*

One disturbing trend I've noticed is that it isn't just people who walk in off the proverbial street (google) that choose these names. Some of them have actually been recruited by members.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Paradox on June 13, 2008, 03:11:22 PM
*edges his way into the room, standing with the proud prudes*

One disturbing trend I've noticed is that it isn't just people who walk in off the proverbial street (google) that choose these names. Some of them have actually been recruited by members.

Not I said the little girl with the big hat. . .
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs