News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: Akiko on October 13, 2010, 01:10:49 AM
IRL?

What is this IRL you speak of?

Is it that MMO game with the awesome graphics but a horrible death penalty? That's free to play for some, but really expensive for others?

Yeah, been playing for 21 years. Tempted to try out the Sex free trial, but don't wanna risk getting landed with the Children expansion pack... levels 1 through 18 are a bitch I hear.

Miss Arha

Quote from: Akiko on August 26, 2009, 05:16:27 PM
You know what they say about opinions and assholes, right?

Just remember that this is YOUR opinion. I only got to play about twelve-fourteen hours of Final Fantasy Twelve, and I enjoyed what I got. I think it's just fine that you don't like it, but don't tell people that it sucks, even if they enjoy it.

Seriously, this isn't the WoW forums, n00b. L2P and all that. :P

And in a WoW forumsesque vain (sp?) I say.....

PWNed.

*giggles like a schoolgirl*

MoonlightMiku

Silent Hill 2. >:(

Like most Silent Hill fans, I really enjoyed SH2 the first time I played it. However, as time wore on, I got sick of the insane protectiveness and blind devotion the fandom felt toward the game. It's constantly touted as the absolute best in the series and don't you dare say otherwise OR ELSE. It's like the Final Fantasy VII of survival horror: both are completely overrated and neither can be taken seriously anymore.

The game is repetitive with tiresome character archetypes and cheap jump scares. The only redeeming thing is the soundtrack, which I highly recommend despite the ire I feel toward the title.

/deep breath -- end rant

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on October 13, 2010, 01:56:57 AM
Yeah, been playing for 21 years. Tempted to try out the Sex free trial, but don't wanna risk getting landed with the Children expansion pack... levels 1 through 18 are a bitch I hear.
Is it bad that it took me about a week to get this joke? You can tell I don't MMO a lot...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 13, 2010, 01:56:57 AM

Depends on who you get the trial from. o3o

Xandria

CODMW2 because I couldn't stay alive more than 30 seconds! Love the game, but damn it's frustrating.  My ego didn't do too well either...hehe.  :P
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. -Oscar Wilde

Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. - Albert Camus

Sabby

Gothic 4. Yet another great series dead to me...

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Gothic, to me, is the partial answer to a western RPG. The recipe for the perfect goblin slaying western fantasy game is there, but it's always so weighed down in it's own problems. Clunky controls and combat always held it back, but it was an immersive game way ahead of it's time. Let me sum up what Gothic 1 had.

A decent fantasy setting, with a prison colony trapped inside a magical barrier, now holding the King by the balls for the ore he needs.

Dynamic towns, like Shenmue or Oblivion, with people getting up, going to work, relaxing/eating/singing around a fire in the night and going back to bed.

Human characters were always knocked down, and then you could loot them and let them hobble off, or finish the job. This was used in quests a lot.

Your leveling up only awarded you Learning Points, which were currency with teachers, who could be anywhere, and all had their own requirements. If you had gained an old warriors favour, he would agree to teach you, and in the end you would swing a sword with faster and more skillful animation.

Magic took real investment and enrolment with a school, but was insanely powerful and worth the long effort.

There were animations for everything, every stage of a job (blacksmithing had you manually heating the metal, pounding it, and cooling it), climbing, using items, ect... may not sound like much, but every little bit added to the immersion factor.

If you look at Gothic 4, you'll find none of this. It's not even a Gothic game in my eyes. The whole series is just precious oil underneath a crust of gold, waiting to be struck, but they spend so much time fucking around with the trash on top that no one is ever guna find it.

Xenolord

Clock Tower 3. A fabulous survival horror series, given the same treatment given to Resident Evil 4 and 5, but at a much more dire cost. Damn you to hell, Capcom!

Nyarly

Quote from: Inkidu on October 25, 2010, 02:48:40 PM
Never heard of it.
Well, it's a German series, which tend to be rather unsuccessful outside of Germany (with Far Cry and Crysis as noteworthy exceptions). The third game became quite a joke because it was swamped in bugs.

To my knowledge, the fourth game wasn't developed by the original developers, Piranha Bytes, who went to another publisher and created a spiritual successor named "Risen", which, as I heard, is pretty faithful to Gothic.

However, I never really got into Gothic, so I can't really understand all the fuss.

Sabby

Risen is banned here :( Our ratings board is fucking retarded...

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on October 25, 2010, 04:58:43 PM
Risen is banned here :( Our ratings board is fucking retarded...

Well, that explains your frustration. Risen is what Gothic 4 should've or could've been, pretty much. The "true" Gothic 4, in a sense, even though it's a separate story and all.

Sabby

I'm looking to have a copy imported. I don't have a region code on my Xbox.

Hunter

MMOs.  I'm finally able to give up on them.

Wyrd

Quote from: Hemingway on October 26, 2010, 08:22:11 AM
Well, that explains your frustration. Risen is what Gothic 4 should've or could've been, pretty much. The "true" Gothic 4, in a sense, even though it's a separate story and all.

Is Risen worth a buy? I herd some not so good things about it that made me stay away.
Ragtime Dandies!

FreedomJazzDance

Well that really  depends. Risen is considered by many of the followers of the series to be Gothic 'lite'. This isn't actually to say it's a bad game. Quite the opposite. Supposedly, it is quite fun. I only ever played the demo. It's still supposed to be an incredibly challenging experience though. If you're into open world action adventure rpgs, then Risen is possibly the game for you.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hunter on October 26, 2010, 07:17:46 PM
MMOs.  I'm finally able to give up on them.
Ooh, do tell. I always want fodder for my anti-MMO thesis.

Hunter

Quote from: Inkidu on November 02, 2010, 04:03:32 PM
Ooh, do tell. I always want fodder for my anti-MMO thesis.

They're addicting.   ???

oraphi

amnesia the dark descent, a friend convinced me to play it for a while becuase it was "a good halloween game".  I work night shift, by myself in a big empty building . . . all alone.  I haven't spoken to that friend sinse but I glare at her every day >.<
Pedestal, pedestal falls away.
Wake once, another day.
Sweat dreams ~

O&O
Behind the keyboard with Oraphi; an introduction

Inkidu

Hunter

Quote from: Inkidu on November 03, 2010, 03:14:22 PM
Nothing else? :(

Dunno.  But then again, my brain isn't wired quite the same as a normal person's either.

SinXAzgard21

Any Square Enix Xbox game.... Minus FFXIII..... they all effing blow........ Dead Rising and Halo... All Halo's, I play only to do something with Goldie when I'm bored and even that is rare as hell.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

I'm kind of swearing off JRPGs in general. Maybe there's one out there worth my time but I'm finding them all cookie-cutter, stagnant cliches these days.

tuckers02