What will you wish for? (A game of poorly worded desires)

Started by Tad, January 04, 2010, 09:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tad

I've been having an idea rattling around my head for a bit and I thought I'd finally give it a shot as a group rp.  The difficulty I've been having with it is deciding how to structure the game, to allow characters to do what they want but to keep the basic idea intact.  I'm not sure if my decision will work, but I'm confident enough to give it a try.

The story starts out as being a group of friends and couples heading out on a spring break trip to the beach.  They've rented a house, bought more beer than they can probably drink, and are all set to have a great time.  That time only seems to be even more exciting when they find out there's a bunch of caves nearby.  They all set out to explore, and after a bit they find a room filled with cave art and a strange stick. The hieroglyphics seem to indicate that its magical, granting wishes to whoever bears it.  Of course some of the friends think its just a big joke and make fun of the ones who are a bit more wary.  Nonetheless, they all make wishes, and that's where the fun begins.

The stick is able to grant wishes as described, but the spirit trapped within it has grown bitter over the years.  Instead of happily granting wishes to help its master, it instead does whatever it can to misinterpret those desires and turn them against the wisher.  So what do the kids do when their words come back to haunt them?

The issue I've had is figuring out how to have all the character's wishes come true along a similar timeline.  To simplify that, I've decided to simply play the setting and describe the magic effects myself.  As for the wishes themselves, I would like to give some ideas but they are just that.  They can be used or not, as the players see fit.  All that I would ask is that any wishes be approved with me (word for word so we can decide how to mess them up) before the start of the game.

Some examples would be:
A girl wishing she had some decent curves and winding up gaining lots of weight

A guy wishing that 'bitch would shut up' and turning her into a dog while she wishes that 'jackass would leave her alone' (if people wish about someone else they must be wished on as well.... one wish per person and everyone is the victim of a wish)

A guy wishing he was super buff and finding his muscles swelling to impossible proportions

A guy wishing he understood women and finding himself changing into one

I look forward to hearing your ideas and finding out what the characters really wished for....
In the process of moving, so posts may be slow
Need an idea?        Ons and Offs

jiggles

I'm interested... kinda busy lately so I'm not sure I can commit, but I'll at the very least watch this thread!

Callie Del Noire

I see a definite collection of ideas there. :D

-Winding up as someone else (Wishing to be as 'successful' or 'skilled' or 'popular' as X.)

Tad

Alrighty... we've got two or three players... a couple more and we should be good to start!  Any more people wanting to make some changes?

MercyfulFate

So what they'd wish for would essentially go "awry" so to speak? I like that idea, especially if you're controlling what the actual wishes turn out to be as it adds an element of surprise to the whole thing.

femme fatale

I must say, I am interested as well.... Very interested!

Send me an invitation and I am game!
"Sex is the most fun you can have without laughing."
Woody Allen

noekula

Is it still me that makes you sweat?
Am I who you think about in bed?

Ons and offs ;)

Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close?

Tad

Alright, we've got a decent number of folks now, so let's get started. 
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=57788.0

The whole group is heading to the beach for spring break.  I'd like for everyone to have some reason to be in the group, so if you can declare a relationship with someone else it would be helpful.  I'll fill in what I have so far to try and help.

Character               Sex /Prefers    Player                     Description
Dan DeMarco          M/F                 Soran                   21, Soccer player, dating Melissa, friends with Kim and Marcus
Melissa Greene       F/Bi                 Tad                      19, cheerleader, dating Dan
Jessi Hunt               F/?                  jiggles                  Kim's friend
Kim Phillips              M/F                 Callie Del Noire    18, Geeky guy, high school friend of Dan's
Marcus DeSalvo      M/F                  MercifulFate         Playboy, friends with Dan, Alyssa's ex
Alyssa Harrington   F/?                   noekula               20, rich girl, Melissa's roommate, Marcus's ex         
Roxy Sheringham   F/M                   femme fatale       23, Buchanen's girlfriend
Buchanen Lordes   M/F                   BigBuckBob         23, Roxy's boyfriend, former roommate of Marcus and friend of his and Dan's       

BigBuckBob

Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

MercyfulFate

I sent noekula a PM since she said Alyssa had a recent breakup, perhaps my character was her EX. I already posted but I'll amend it in if it works.

Tad

Alrighty.  Sounds great.  Nice posts so far folks!

noekula

Just a quick thing. Alyssa's last name is Harrington, if you wanted the info ;)
Is it still me that makes you sweat?
Am I who you think about in bed?

Ons and offs ;)

Will you dance to this beat and hold a lover close?

jiggles

Character: Jessi Hunt, Female/Bi

(A general friend of the group - anyone not with an established relationship to another we could set something up?)

Jessi is 5' 3", wears glasses, and is generally shy and a bit mousy. She goes along with the group for Spring Break hoping she will be able to get out of her shell. She has had many crushes, but hasn't had the courage to act on any yet.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: jiggles on January 11, 2010, 08:20:58 PM
Character: Jessi Hunt, Female/Bi

(A general friend of the group - anyone not with an established relationship to another we could set something up?)

Jessi is 5' 3", wears glasses, and is generally shy and a bit mousy. She goes along with the group for Spring Break hoping she will be able to get out of her shell. She has had many crushes, but hasn't had the courage to act on any yet.

I figure Kim and Jessi are classmates, share simular interests and inevitable folks try to pair them off (to each other's dismay) and they might even be friends.. but they both are crushing on other folks. :D

Soran

Oh geez gang, please remember, I'm on uk time and I work two jobs.....

MercyfulFate

It should be okay Soran, I'm still getting used to the flow of a group roleplay without overposting and screwing things up.

Callie Del Noire

Yeah.. and a lot of us are eager to get things moving.. the holiday blahs have slowed or killed some of our games . :D

MercyfulFate

My posting will probably slow down in a couple week when College starts up, but until then I've got all the time in the world.

Tad

FYI, I'm making an OOC thread so we stop bumping this all the time.  Here's the link:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=57889.0

Neophyte

*walks in slowly and bows*

Staring Neophyte as "Dan"

...I will be playing the role of Dan for you fine people this evening

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Neophyte on January 13, 2010, 12:16:13 PM
*walks in slowly and bows*

Staring Neophyte as "Dan"

...I will be playing the role of Dan for you fine people this evening