News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Any good MMORPG besides WoW?

Started by Bloody Rose, November 09, 2011, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthas

Just like everything use to be compared to Ultima Online, then Ever Quest.   One day it will be another title.

Nothing remains a giant forever.
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

HairyHeretic

True. I don't play WoW, or really follow it, but I imagine it's numbers have been slowly declining over the last year or two. I doubt it's going to disappear any time soon, but sooner or later something else will take over the title as 'the' MMO.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Malthas

Yup and no doubt whatever truly replaces WoW shall bring a new take on the whole MMO concept that becomes the norm just as WoW set it for the last several years now.    Each former big named title has enhanced the experience so one day who knows what we'll have.
Make them quiver.  Make them beg.   Make them belong.

SinXAzgard21

WoW is where the bar is, and Hairy is right... Since it has years on other games it just makes it what people use as a basis for comparison for MMO gaming.  It does bother a lot of people who don't play WoW anymore or never had.  I think GW2 will be no exception, the open beta that starts tomorrow will be flooded with comments on how WoW this or WoW that... Maybe even people will throw in how it is like SWtOR but that will cause further arguments.  In my opinion it is better to not look for a game better than WoW, but don't compare anything to it as every game is different.  The guildmaster in the guild I'm in on SWtOR says, "This is Star Wars and that is World of Warcraft, just leave them separate and you will save time from arguing."
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Life in Color

I don't think there will be a "WoW killer" per se. I think that there will be games that take some member here, or some members there.

And WoW will eventually be like EverQuest, or Ultima, or any one of the other MMOs that people still play, even if it's a minority.

Sel Nar

Having spent the last 60 hours playing in the GW2 beta, I can safely say that if any game is going to topple World of Warcraft from its throne as 'The benchmark of MMOs' it'll be GW2. Everything feels refreshing.

Combat is fast-paced, but you can see what's going on at all times. (hint: one-on-one, you're a beast; it's in groups where enemies can ruin your shit)

You can 'learn' any, and ALL crafting disciplines, and swap between them however many times you like; No matter what happens, you'll never suffer 'skill degredation' because you didn't craft something.

Someone beat you to a mining node? No problem, use it anyhow. All mining, harvesting and lumber nodes are instanced, so everyone gets a fair crack at it.

Fighting an enemy and someone snipes it with a rifle, bow, or pistol shot? you get full loot and exp anyhow.

All of GW2's features were desperately needed, and it shows; around 3/4ths of the people in the beta had never played GW1, and had come from other MMOs to see what the 'hoopla' was about.

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 30, 2012, 12:51:02 AM
Fighting an enemy and someone snipes it with a rifle, bow, or pistol shot? you get full loot and exp anyhow.

This is true in WoW and several other MMOs already, but nice to know it's included.

The instanced gathering nodes thing is BOSS though. Awesome. As is being able to take all the crafting disciplines without needing to dump skill points built up in any of them along the way.

I guess GW2 has risen on my interest meter from "zero interest whatsoever" to "will at least give a demo/trial a try if available."
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sel Nar

To clarify; in GW2, everyone involved in a fight gets full Exp and Loot from the kill, but in an 'event' such as killing a particularly tough enemy, the more you participate in it, the better your 'rank' and reward. (For example, a 'gold' rank for being in an event from start to finish gives you around 25% more experience, karma and coin than bronze)

Also; everything you do? gives you Experience. Exploring the world, and you discover an area? Hello, Exp. Find a new waypoint and activate it? Exp. Pass by a point of interest? Exp. Harvest ore or chop down a tree for crafting materials? Exp per whack of the pick or axe. Ressurecting someone who fell in battle? Exp.

Just by exploring the Four Cities in the beta (Divinity's reach, Lion's Arch, Hoelbrak, and the Black Citadel), I went from level 2 to level 7 without having to fight anything.

Also; at the end of the beta, my thief was level 16. to go from level 1 to level 2 takes 4000 exp. to go from 16 to 17 takes 6400 exp. The required experience per level is only a few hundred more than the previous, instead of a logarithmic scale as seen in older MMOs (The most notable offender being Lineage 2, where a single kill gave you around 3000 exp, and you needed 1.5 million to hit level 2, and 150 billion exp to go from level 79 to 80)

Dashenka

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 30, 2012, 12:51:02 AM
Having spent the last 60 hours playing in the GW2 beta, I can safely say that if any game is going to topple World of Warcraft from its throne as 'The benchmark of MMOs' it'll be GW2. Everything feels refreshing.

I do agree... I got some sleep after a lot of GW2 Beta. However I also think you cannot really compare WoW to GW. There are too many fundamental differences between them. I have been playing WoW for 7 years now and probably will play for another 7 years but I will also play GW2.

World of Warcraft has many loyal followers and most will not even consider playing GW2 because 'it can't possibly be that good'. With the upcoming WoW expansion, I think they will revive some players that have quit. Some of the basic differences I think are between WoW and GW2 are the skill required. I am by no means the best player and in WoW, this shows. Low DPS at raids and all that but in GW2, I felt I was amazing because the combat system is so easy to understand, yet a complete breath of fresh air in MMORPG land.

The graphics are of course also a difference. WoW's cartoony style is it's trademark whereas GW2 looks amazing. While walking around Divinity's Reach, the hairs on the back of my neck just stood up and I kept uttering things like.. Holy f*ck... My God.. and other power terms. That city baffled me by it's beauty.

The quest system in GW2, however refreshing as it comes to you, isn't really all that new. You still have to grind and collect stuff, which is one of the biggest critiques WoW gets but ANY MMORPG I played has quests like that.

All in all, GW2 is a fantastic game as far as I have seen it but I don't think it will hit the 10 million player mark like WoW has. They have to proof themselves first before WoW players will leave and having played the Beta of GW2, I can't say I'll give up WoW for it. I'll just play them both.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Aiden

Guild Wars is free to play right? I wanted to prebuy it but it was "sold out" so I missed out on the free beta weekend. I did want to try the game out.

TheGlyphstone

Not free to play, but it's a one-time purchase without a subscription fee.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Aiden on April 30, 2012, 10:15:17 AM
Guild Wars is free to play right? I wanted to prebuy it but it was "sold out" so I missed out on the free beta weekend. I did want to try the game out.

There are no more copies till after its release where I am at, I was the first to get the CE and after I got my 6 hours later they were all gone.  Within three days all pre-orders where filled.  So don't feel that you are the only one.....  Just get the digital, unless you really want the solid copy.

Dashenka

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 30, 2012, 11:40:10 AM
There are no more copies till after its release where I am at, I was the first to get the CE and after I got my 6 hours later they were all gone.  Within three days all pre-orders where filled.  So don't feel that you are the only one.....  Just get the digital, unless you really want the solid copy.

Yes you can still buy the digital copy (15 Gb to download) on the website. It's how I got mine.

Sel Nar

Note: the 15 GB download is only for the 'beta' client; the full game has another 10 GB on top of that.

SinXAzgard21

I cannot wait to make my Asura Necro.

Sel Nar

Sylvari Elementalist. the plants are lighting you on FIRE.

Slywyn

Sylvari Ranger wheee~

Hopefully bows do closer damage to what the Axe/Dagger combo was doing in the beta because I'd rather use a bow than the axe. =<
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Shjade

Quote from: Dashenka on April 30, 2012, 05:58:33 AM
The graphics are of course also a difference. WoW's cartoony style is it's trademark whereas GW2 looks amazing. While walking around Divinity's Reach, the hairs on the back of my neck just stood up and I kept uttering things like.. Holy f*ck... My God.. and other power terms. That city baffled me by it's beauty.

That's actually a con for me rather than a pro. Not that I dislike great visuals, but WoW ran great on my machine in large part because of that very simple look and the engine supporting it. I'll probably have to run GW2 at its graphical minimums if I play it if I want to have similar performance. :|
◕/◕'s

Sel Nar

You'd be surprised; If you bought your computer as 'bleeding-edge' 7 years ago, you have the minimum requirements to play GW2.

A middle-of-the-road comp now can play GW2 at a consistent 60 FPS at maximum detail.

Dashenka

I have a core 2 duo with 2 gb RAM and a 512 mb graphics card and it played GW2 rather smoothly. No not on full settings probably but from what I remember the settings were all on medium. (And it still looked effing amazing)

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on April 30, 2012, 04:24:25 PM
You'd be surprised; If you bought your computer as 'bleeding-edge' 7 years ago, you have the minimum requirements to play GW2.

My computer was never bleeding edge. Ever.
◕/◕'s

ExisD

I spent this weekend in the beta for Guild Wars 2 on a laptop, admittedly a fairly high quality one(2.5GHz quad core processor, 4GB ram, 512 MB for video card that for some reason displays as 2 GB on my diagnostic).

I was able to run on high texture/model/anti-aliasing settings provided I turned off shadows and reflections. I ran on medium with all of those enabled without issue.

Shjade

Only 2GB RAM on my iMac. ;p

I think I just barely meet the minimum req's, though not sure about the video card, which is usually the weak link. Whatever, it'll either have a trial I can test run on later or it won't.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

I'm running and i7-2600k processor and two Radeon amd 6850hd... The game looks amazing needless to say.

cam13

You could play Terra or the one I play alot Gundam