SLA Industries [mul, not primarily erotic]

Started by Celestial Goblin, October 16, 2009, 03:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial Goblin

edit: We are seeking more players. We have two players now, both investigation operatives. The game is not in full swing yet, they are just heading out for their first mission.

It is undeterminably far future. Humanity emerged victorious from a galaxy spanning all out slaughter known as the 'Conflict Wars', other sentinent races eriadacted save for few allowed to survive in subservience. On the forefront of the triumphant human race was the gigantic corporation of SLA Industries. It's leader, known only under the absurd psedonym of "Mr.Slayer" would become a like a demi-god creator, steering the world according to his vision.

It is the year 900 of the new calendar. People now live in the 'World of Progress' where immortal Mr.Slayer and his company own all. Planets and goverments submit or perish and everything from armies to computers, every need, desire and vice is a packaged product available from SLA Industries. The populace is sedated by cutting edge super-drugs, entranced by a million TV channels and fed an ideology of greed and ultra-violence from the moment they are born.

All the power, clout and mass-produced glamour of the SLA cannot, however, blot out the nightmares that came to be in this world.

SLA Industries is the game of high-tech, high-adrenaline horror in a dystopian future. Players take role of SLA company operatives, acting on a semi-freelance basis, fulfilling dangerous missions to safe-guard their employers hegemony. They are the best of the best, outfitted with invincible gear and glamorous, larger-than-life idols of millions, yet they are also expendable assets who the company might get rid of at a moments notice. The company has many secrets those uncovering them might find themselves terminated - with an advanced high caliber, exploding bullet.

Influences for this game include Blade Runner, Paranoia, Brazil, Shadowrun, Clockwork Orange, Judge Dredd, Alien, Predator and anime like Akira, Dirty Pair or Dominion Tank Police(the old Shirou one). The mood is one of horror, both growing tension and paranoia and direct in-your-face gore. Players will face madmen, cannibals, science-spawned nightmares and worse things as they climb the corporate ladder, drowning their fear in drugs, sex and indulgence.

They might also learn about what goes on behind the scenes of their world, but this is the one most dangerous thing. - "Guns kill, but so does the truth"

The rulebook for this game is available legally and at no cost at http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=21127(requires free registration)

The game will be a system game, but digging deep in the rules is not required for the players and I will provide cheat-sheets and help in character creation. Creating a character is not hard on the mechanical side. Players who are not already familiar with SLA Industries are recommended to play humans. Despite there being aliens and others to choose from, SLA and this campaign works better with a human-centric team.

This game will be run by Senti and me as alternating GM's, expected run long and develop slowly. I am likely to post at least once per three days, more often if able.
This is not a primarily erotic game, but sexual themes will be prevalent as the SLA world is full of hedonistic excess.

Please PM me with any questions.

Salomé

This sounds fantastic. The entire description--of the world, the mood, etc--sounds perfect. And the influences, as well, although I hope it's okay that the only one I know of is 'Clockwork Orange.'
It actually reminds me a lot of Brave New World, too.
And I've never participated in a system game before; only freeform. Therefore I have little to no knowledge of how they work (except what I read up on, on Wikipedia). Is it necessary to read the rulebook? Sorry to demonstrate so little enthusiasm; I'm actually very enthusiastic about the idea but feeling a bit lazy right now. ;)

•about•
The Earth's a cake full of sweetness;
I can (and then there'd be no end to your pleasure!)
Give you an appetite of equal size.
-The Voice

Apologies for my slow responses! Please feel free to give me a kick over PM if necessary.

Hunter

*squints*  Looks familiar at first glance to Dark Conspiracy.  Let me think about it.

Ixy

Jesus, this looks interesting, and I'm interested in learning more. 

Thank you for bringing this opportunity out for everyone.  I'm sure it will be fantastic-- Once I've reviewed enough of the material to feel comfortable creating a concept, I will send you a character concept for consideration.  I hope it takes off, and hope I can take part.

Celestial Goblin

Quote from: Salomé on October 16, 2009, 08:10:11 PM
It actually reminds me a lot of Brave New World, too.
Good catch - hi-tech drugs at least are a very big part of SLA.:)
Quote from: Salomé on October 16, 2009, 08:10:11 PM
And I've never participated in a system game before; only freeform. Therefore I have little to no knowledge of how they work (except what I read up on, on Wikipedia). Is it necessary to read the rulebook? Sorry to demonstrate so little enthusiasm; I'm actually very enthusiastic about the idea but feeling a bit lazy right now. ;)
I'd recommend reading the rulebook at least for the world description. The history (pages 14-25) you can skip as they mostly deal with background characters and who invented what. Pages 29-110 are where important information is. You don't need to know all of it, but it's worth a skim.

The GM's will be happy to insulate freeform fans from the system mechanics and all that's really needed is knowing what your character can do. I'll be posting a 'character creation made super-easy' in a moment!

Quote from: Hunter on October 16, 2009, 08:12:22 PM
*squints*  Looks familiar at first glance to Dark Conspiracy.  Let me think about it.
I don't know this one, but I'd definitely encourage everyone to take a peek at the book - it's good stuff!

Quote from: Ixy on October 16, 2009, 10:22:18 PM
Once I've reviewed enough of the material to feel comfortable creating a concept, I will send you a character concept for consideration.  I hope it takes off, and hope I can take part.
Right! Mechanics-wise, it might not seem apparent for a new player, but the system lets you create an almost maxed-out character from the get go, at least if you're human. It's really a simple one that might not appear as such.:)

Celestial Goblin

SLA Industries character creation crash course
First, choose your race. Humans are reccomended if you don't know the world, read up on other races in the book.
Second, chose training package - it's your speciality in the team. Those are as following:
Bussines - you negotiate payment and sponsorship for the team, navigate the maze of corporate bureaucracy and are good at talking in general
Interrogation/Investigation - you are good at snooping around, uncovering secrets and getting people to tell the truth
Death Squad - you are a combat heavy-hitter with big guns
Kick Murder - you sneak up on people and kill them in close combat
Scout - stealth, moving into hard places, noticing enemies. Often a sniper too.
Medic - battlefield doctor, foresnics, psychology
Mechanic - use, fix and crack mechanisms, electronics and computer systems
Pilot/Navigator - pilot and maintain all kinds of vehicles
Strike Squad - generic universal training in combat, first aid and driving for operatives without talent:)

Your training package will increase your skills a bit - check page 147. It's kind of fiddly in that you don't apply the bonus until after you're done spending your points. It's not that important though.

STATS
There are six stats for broad concepts like Strength, Charisma, etc. A normal human has stats from 5 to 10, with 5 being unremarkable civilian and 10 olympic top-notch.SLA operatives are the best of the best and it's entirely possible to start out with all stats maxed out. Aliens and stuff can have different maximums, for example a 'Shaktar'(big scary alien) can have 13 Strength but only 8 Concentration.
Strength - close combat, handling recoil of big/automatic guns, helps survive wounds
Dexterity - shooting, doing nimble stuff, helps survive wounds and how fast you act in combat very important attribute
Diagnosis - understanding things, most mechanical and medical skills, helps academia subjects
Concentration - 'twitch' reflexes, noticing things, driving, sniper shooting, helps academia subjects
Charisma - talking to people, making a good impression
Cool - enduring stress, fear and shock(all three are plentiful in the world of SLA)

There are two more 'derived' stats. Physique is average of your Strength and Dexterity and Knowledge is average of your Diagnosis and Concentration.

SKILLS
Skills are for specific things your character can do, like shooting, sneaking, driving or using computers. Skills can't be higher than 10 and a skill can't be higher than the stat it is connected too. For example, 'Persuasion' is linked to Charisma. If you have Charisma of 6, you can only raise persuasion to 6 as well.

see page 134 of the book for list of all skills. make sure your character has at least basic combat skill and is good with things from their speciality

ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES
All kinds of other things about your characters background. Having friends or enemies, good or bad housing, having a car or extra money and such. Also quirky innate things like being especially good(or bad!) at hearing things, getting up on time or even being ambidextrous. All kinds of illness and addiction to drugs too. Listed on page 139.

You get 300 points to create your character

Stats are at level 5 for free and cost 5 points per point
(for example, Charisma 10 costs 25 points)
Stats can't be higher than max allowed for your race(see below, it's all 10 for human)

Skills cost 1 point per level, but you have to buy each level separately
This works like this - level 1 costs 1 point, level 2 costs 2 points but you have to have level 1 first, so level 2 costs (1 + 2) 3 points. Here's the table:
skill level   1 2 3 4   5  6   7  8   9  10
point cost 1 3 6 10 15 21 28 36 45 55
You get free levels in skills based on your race and the training package you choose - you don't have to pay for those
For example, if you get Streetwise 2 for being a human, increasing it to 7 will cost you (3+4+5+6+7) 25 points.

ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES
Those are listed on page 139 and have variable costs, listed on page 146. For example being ambidextrous costs 10 points. Many advantages and disadvantages have levels, for example 'bad vision' gives you back 2 points per level, from 1 to 10. So 'bad vision' at level 7 gives you back 14 points to spend elswhere.

Crovonovin

Just saying that I'm interested and reading over the material!  Sounds very interesting to have a setting where the characters have such a high skill level right off the bat.  I'm not very experienced with system games (as everyone I show interest in withers on the vine), but I've made enough character sheets to know my way around them.

Celestial Goblin

One thing has to be said - this is really not about the system but about the setting. The system will see use, but no one is required to 'optimize' in any way.
It also bears noting, though, that despite being best of the best, the characters are still mortal and have plenty of reasons to fear. They are good, but the things they face are that bad.

Celestial Goblin

And by the way, if someone totally doesn't want to touch the mechanics, I'm willing to fill out the sheet for them - just describe the character and choose their speciality.

Ixy

Concept and basic sheet will be there within 1/2 an hour.
Hahaha-- guess who fell asleep at the computer?  ;)  Ok.  First draft has been PMed for review/correction.  Hope it's ok.

Celestial Goblin

Love you all!
Team roster is ATM as following:
Shihong - human death squad heavy hitter - sheet done
Senti - Brain-waster investigation creepy girl - sheet expected today
Ixy - open - sheet expected today
Salome, Hunter - open

I will start the game on friday.

By the way, if anyone wants a 'rough guide to weapons' I've written up, let me know. It's just a summing up for those who don't want to read it in the book itself.

Crovonovin

Friday huh?  I probably won't be able to post immediately then.  I'm have classes until 4:00 and will be going to a bonfire at 5:00, and camping overnight.  I should be able to get something in later on Saturday though!

Celestial Goblin

That's the reason to start friday - I start up the story and we have the weekend before us:)

Hunter

As interesting as it looks, I don't have the interest for a new game system.  Sorry, please count me out.

Celestial Goblin

Will post threads for the game today regardless, but two people still need to contact me about niggling details - name and gear respectively!

Celestial Goblin