We used to be able to lock our story topics...

Started by Modern Fairy Tale, August 03, 2011, 12:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Fairy Tale

The author of a storyline used to be able to lock his topic, if he felt it was finished or something.  This made it so no one could change or delete things or whatever and the story becomes more static.  Something to read, without worrying what some person might change or whatever if they drop off the face of Elliquiy or come back and decide to delete all thier old stuff and start again fresh.  Has locking a topic become impossible now?  And if it is, why are my old locked topics still locked?  Did they move the icon, and I just dont see it?  I appreciate whatever help anyone can give me on this matter.
She again rubbed a match on the wall, and the light shone round her; in the brightness stood her old grandmother, clear and shining, yet mild and loving in her appearance. "Grandmother," cried the little one, "O take me with you; I know you will go away when the match burns out; you will vanish like the warm stove, the roast goose, and the large, glorious Christmas-tree." And she made haste to light the whole bundle of matches, for she wished to keep her grandmother there. And the matches glowed with a light that was brighter than the noon-day, and her grandmother had never appeared so large or so beautiful. She took the little girl in her arms, and they both flew upwards in brightness and joy far above the earth, where there was neither cold nor hunger nor pain, for they were with God. 
Hans Christian Anderson in The Little Match Girl

Lilias

That option had to be disabled, unfortunately. If you want a thread locked, you can always PM a staff member to do it for you.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caeli

Quote from: Modern Fairy Tale on August 03, 2011, 12:47:30 PMSomething to read, without worrying what some person might change or whatever if they drop off the face of Elliquiy or come back and decide to delete all thier old stuff and start again fresh.

I also wanted to add that this is not allowed on Elliquiy for the following reason:

QuoteMembers are to ask before deleting material. This is primarily for roleplays - you made something with someone, if you delete your part of the story, your partner's work is made to suffer. Stories and images are not subject to this rule, unless an image is a part of a roleplay.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Nessy

Quote from: Caeli on August 03, 2011, 06:11:42 PM
I also wanted to add that this is not allowed on Elliquiy for the following reason:

True, but if you get enough games to go through, how would you even know it was deleted until well after the fact. I understand the feature is an issue, but I can see its need.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

Oniya

That's why you PM a staff member as soon as you decide you want it locked.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kye

You can also ask a staff member to restore the deleted story if your partner were to delete it without your permission.  I know it's been done before.

Nessy

Quote from: Oniya on August 04, 2011, 01:13:40 AM
That's why you PM a staff member as soon as you decide you want it locked.

Maybe people are randomly deleting things nicely all over the forum, but the one person who decided to delete their posts from one of my games went dormant for awhile, came back who knows when and did it. It wasn't exactly a dead game until he decided it was by the deletion.  I would think that having someone delete stories and posts is at least uncommon if not rare, and necessarily something you expect to preempt.

I appreciate you can PM a staff though. I get that.
Ons and Offs    Short Term Ideas,
Misc. Long Term Ideas

If you send me a PM and I don't respond, chances are I just missed it. Send it again!

Some heroes don't wear capes. Some just #holdthedoor.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Caeli on August 03, 2011, 06:11:42 PM

I've actually wondered about this, but regarding posts in, say, Adult Socializing games. Does the 'no-deletion' policy extend to those as well?

Trieste

Not really. The policy is there because in stories, discussion threads, etc, if you delete the whole thread you are deleting others' posts. If you delete just your posts in the thread, you are damaging others' posts by removing the context of those posts (whether that be story context or conversational context, depending on where you're talking about).

So unless you got into some huge fisticuffs with someone and are then deleting what could be incriminating posts, we really don't care if you remove posts from "what is the avatar above you thinking" so that the thread doesn't pop up on your unread replies ad infinitum.

TheGlyphstone

Good to know. And knowing is half the battle.

(the other half is red and blue lasers).