Interest check: Firefly (TV-series) based roleplay(sci-fi, western, slaves)

Started by SatanKlaus, November 12, 2012, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Innocence

I think it would definitely be an interesting twist, I would definitely go for independence, everyone being ruled over one government feels more like everyone being trapped and restricted by a dictator. 

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Innocence on November 13, 2012, 05:40:59 AM
They do? Wow it's been way too long since I last watched firefly... Will need to rewatch it all before starting the roleplay XD
Anyway~!! If it helps, I can limit myself to maybe 5 different types of poisons, so I'm not one of those characters that conveniently have a magical potion for every situation. I'll run them by you first to see if you think they'll be appropriate.
Is that cool?

Honestly, there are really only 2 types of poisons that are appropriate for a combat situation: a quick-acting narcotic for live capture and (maybe) a deadly poison. Most people who want to kill would use a gun, though.

However, in a non-combat situation there might be more options. Such a 'weapon' would probably be optimised for being silent and with a very modest 'sting' so as not to alert the victim. It wouldn't be a great weapon in a combat situation, though.

(And like I said: Don't focus too much on equipment. The 'verse of Firefly is not focused on tech. A thoroughly high-tech world with the right tool for every job would give a very different 'vibe'. There would be robots, or at least cameras and automated equipment everywhere. We need to keep things more 'personal', so the effect of equipment is not as big as you'd expect realistically. Hope that makes sense.)

Satan_Klaus

Caela

I'll have to re-work Keri's background but that why it's called a rough draft lol.

Kdyami

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

orderNchaos

kckolbe

We don't have a proper doctor, but TheRaven had a bit of medical training in his concept, probably just first aid for the field team. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Koekje

That'd let TheRaven have the same role als TJ in Stargate Universe. A field medic who gets thrust into position of main doctor/surgeon.
He who acts honestly, hardly ever meets with trouble,
he who speaks honestly, hardly ever escapes trouble.
O'O's

orderNchaos

why not some Alliance bred doctor who was picked up on a broken down transport the crew came across and forced her into service......ing them?   >:)

Koekje

O'O's

kckolbe

Not sure I'd feel comfortable with a doctor serving against one's will.  Be too afraid of malpractice.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Belisuavious

Yeah, I'm with kckolbe on that, I'd rather not have the person sewing me up to hate me.

Anyways, here is my character:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name:Richard Dawson

Orientation: Heterosexual

Personality: Richard is a professional sort of man, always doing whatever task he is assigned to as quickly and efficiently as possible. He cares about the well being of those under him since without them, he doesn't really have a job to do, or the job becomes nearly impossible. Very little nonsense sort of guy, he will lead by example whenever things get tough.
Background: Richard grew up on a rather large ranch in the outer rim area of the 'verse. Being a child of the so called Rancher Barons of the planet, he got as good an education as possible in the Rim, having a particular interest in military history. When he turned sixteen he joined the planetary militia. While this was more of a social gathering than a military one, they did train with their weapons and tactics for a weekend every month practicing war games against the militia companies from other districts of the planet. The whole event ended with a big barbecue and party. In fact, the only time in the seven years he was a part of the militia, he only saw combat once, when he was called out to investigate a wrecked ship. Turned out that it had been boarded by Reavers and sent shooting towards the planet, wrecking a prime stretch of hunting land. Thankfully there were only two of the Reavers alive after the crash but they were hard to kill and absolutely terrifying for the nineteen year old Richard.

When he was twenty three, his family ranch was sold. A string of thefts and bad weather left his family with only the leanest of the cattle. Taxes came due and despite his father practically begging for more time. There was enough left from the sale of the farm to set his parents up in town, but Richard and his brothers and sisters, the unmarried ones at least, simply began to drift away. Richard found work with a salvage crew for a time, but they lacked any permits whatsoever and narrowly avoided being tossed into prison. A short stint as a bodyguard put him in contact with the captain of the [ship name here] and he was later hired on as the First Mate

SatanKlaus

Quote from: orderNchaos on November 13, 2012, 11:52:10 AM
why not some Alliance bred doctor who was picked up on a broken down transport the crew came across and forced her into service......ing them?   >:)

We don't have a full-blown doctor, yet. But I agree that the a slave-doctor is kinda weird. On the other hand, the romans were perfectly fine with leaving the education of their children and other important tasks to slaves. In the end, slavery is a form of society we no longer fully understand. So it might work out, though you would probably be lower in status than any free person with a medical background. If you are fine with that, I'm sure we can make the background work.

Satan_Klaus

Caela

Keri Revised

Name: Keridwyn "Keri"  Jones

Orientation: Straight

Personality: Keri is a very laid back sort of girl. In general, she doesn't bother herself with matters of morality too much though she is the sort that is naturally kind and, if able, willing to help those in need. Her loyalty lies with the crew of her ship, who are a sort of replacement family for her and helping a stranger will never come before keeping her crew safe. She's intelligent and learns new skills quickly but, having grown up on an outer planet, not as educated as she could have been had she grown up in the Core. She has a thirst for adventure and freedom that keeps her flying fast and, sometimes, laughing when a job turns dangerous and pushes her skills to their limits.

Background: Growing up on the outer planets she didn't have the access to education and technology that those in the inner core did but that didn't stop her from learning everything she could. Especially when it came to flying and navigation. Having a head for science and numbers she learned all that she could about the theory behind different ships, how they worked, how/why they flew, what common problems with them were, and how to push them to their limits.

She built a reputation as a pilot, first on small jobs on her own planet and then on longer jobs between worlds. Her reputation had her as bold, willing, and able, to push a ship to it's limits, and for being slightly crazy in finding those limits. She took chances other pilots wouldn't but she always brought her ship back into port. It was the crazy part that often had her catching jobs with smugglers and other, somewhat, nefarious types, the part where she always brought the ships into whatever port they were calling home, was what kept those same types coming back for more until she found a ship to settle, and a crew, to settle on.

With the rest of the 'Verse choosing sides all Keri wanted to do was fly. She didn't care much for the Alliance, but she didn't see how the outer rim would be improved by booting them out of their lives either. Of course she also didn't see what the Alliance gained by keeping a bunch of poor, dustbowl planets barely scraping by either. Truth was, she didn't much care. She had what she wanted and so long as neither side interfered with that, she'd let them battle it out on their own.

TheRaven

Okay, so, I've been having some other thoughts on character concepts. If someone is being brought on as a doctor, I've got another character in mind.

Philemon

Name: Philemon "Phil" Adricus

Orientation: Straight

Personality: The Core smuggler is fiercely independent, one of his major reasons for joining the Independence movement. He's generally nice enough, but he has plans brewing under the surface almost constantly. Phil is possessed of a silver tongue and a quick wit, capable of seeing him through nearly any plausible lie, and he's definitely not above using this talent to his advantage. He has a taste for liberty and has a pretty abolitionist standpoint on slavery. Naturally, this creates some friction on-board the ship between him and some other crew members.

Background: Phil was born in the Core, and grew up incredibly poor. He picked pockets as a kid, and did some smuggling once he reached adulthood. When the Independence movement cropped up, Phil offered his services as a double agent in the service of the Browncoats. He enlisted in the Alliance military, began his career in the infantry, and began funneling intelligence to the rebellion during his service. When he was found out, he was chased out of the Alliance at gunpoint. After that, Philemon instead began to work as an infiltrator. Once the war ended, Phil fled the Core at last and ended up working in Eavesdown. He was picked up by a smuggling ship recruiting hands, and he's worked with them since then.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

orderNchaos

In regards to the doctor, remember Simon was originally forced to help Kaylee.  She doesn't necessarily need to be a slave....(other than maybe a willing sex slave).  Remember I said broken down transport.  The crew could have simply said you work for us or we leave you.  Yes there could have been a "breaking in" period at first, but the prospect of being alive could have changed her mind about helping the crew.  I was really trying to create a scenario that puts the doctor on the crew in a relatively submissive position.  More thoughts on fleshing.... (  >:) ) out the doctor would be appreciated.

Mya Richone

Name: Mya Richone

Orientation: Straight leaning bi

Personality: Mya grew up a traditional Core high class kid.  Best schools, best grades and an overbearing family bent on over achieving.  Mya comes off as a sweet but determined woman who generally knew what she wanted.  She has a way of using her smile, her body and her demeanor to get people to do what she wants which as a Core Worlds physician meant that she never had to be strict or demanding of anyone.  Deep down inside Mya is a true submissive.  While she works in a demanding fast paced alpha type personality field, she yearns to free herself of that yoke and give herself to the desires of others.

Background: Born and raised on Osiris, Mya graduated top 3% of her class at medical school and went on to have a brilliant career as a Physician and researcher on Osiris.  After a few unfortunate situations where she allowed herself to be coerced into sexual encounters with a few of her colleagues, Mya decided to leave her position at the hospital and move offworld to Balerephon where she had a job lined up with a private hospital that caters to the rich and powerful at their estates.  During her trip, her transport broke down catastrophically and was left adrift without power or life support. The surviving crew and passengers slowly suffocated but Mya was trapped in the medbay section, where she had access to bottled oxygen and drugs to slow down her metabolism to make it last even longer.  After a few days helpless in space the transport was picked up by a salvage crew where they found her half dead in the wreckage.  Realizing that Mya is from a rich core family, the captain bargains with her that he could take her off the derelict and bring her home...but that the fare would be astronomical and that she would have to sign an indenture contract to make sure that she pays. Originally refusing the request, the captain ordered the ship to undock after all the salvage was on board, where Mya quickly changed her mind. Dignity aside, Mya served the crew as a servant.  While she was not originally fond of the idea of serving the crew, she soon came to realize this arrangement could serve many of her needs.

kckolbe

Caela, still lovely.  I would definitely be willing for Lance to have contacted your character perhaps before the operation was sold to the now captain. 

I really like Philemon's concept, as it leaves room for all kinds of plot hooks, not to mention that I like the idea of a poor person from the Core worlds.  It isn't seen often.

As for Mya, I may have a compromise in mind.  Perhaps her enslavement was prior to meeting the crew, and she was then sold to the captain as a sex slave.  Eventually her training was discovered, and her treatment and standard of living improved in return for medical services, but she still remains property.

Intro Thread

Branwen

I think the doctor as proposed has merit and should be played. The discomfort and moral dilemma can be great discussions to have between characters. Right now we are expending it between players. Also, too much kibbitzing might discourage a player from proposing a character or being willing to continue.

SatanKlaus

Please remember that this is just an 'interest check' thread. Please do not shoot down other player's character ideas. That's for me to do before we move to the next stage of the play.

Personally, I think a 'kept' doctor could work out. Here is my idea how Mya Richone could have found herself a place on the ship:

Her transport broke down catastrophically and was left adrift without power or life support. The surviving crew and passengers slowly suffocated but Mya was trapped in the medbay section, where she had access to bottled oxygen and drugs to slow down her metabolism to make it last even longer.

Fast forward a week or so, our heroic (il)legal salvage team finds the wreck and sets to work. They are surprised to find the ship's doctor alive and well. Realizing that she is from a rich core family, the captain told her that he could take her off the derelict and bring her home...but that the fare would be astronomical and that she would have to sign an indenture to make sure that she pays. Of course she refused...at first. When the captain ordered the ship to undock after all the salvage was on board, she quickly changed her mind. Dignity becomes such a...malleable term when you are faced with the prospect of being left behind alone in the black like that.

Now she has been on the ship for some time and people treat her okay. She may not have the same rights as the crew, not such a nice bunk and probably has to do scutwork when there is no patient to treat. But she is the doc and the crew knows that they shouldn't abuse her too much.

As an indentured girl, she has to do the work she is assigned and live under the rules imposed on her by her contract holder but she is not a slave. She has most civil rights a freeperson has, (except for freedom of movement and freedom of employ, of course). She comes from a rich family so, if she wanted to, she could probably buy out her own contract in the next civilized port with access to a core banking terminal. But for some reason, she hasn't yet.

Maybe the captain, keen on keeping her, always finds a shipboard task for Mya when they touch ground in a place where she could make it happen. As he holds her contract, putting her to work when and where he wants is legal, although it kinda bends the rules. In theory she should be allowed to pay her debt and walk away. But things like this happened often in earth that was' darker history, so there is a precedent. The captain likes to talk about liberty. He is a stout proponent of planet rights and local government...but he is kind of a prick when it comes to the liberty of others, so this would make sense.

Maybe her family isn't as rich as he assumed (and there are still her student loans and stuff) so she simply can't pay.

Maybe she is too proud to ask her family for money.

Maybe she kinda likes the life she has now, even though it sucks sometimes. Not returning home is her...rebellion of sorts...from the stiffling rules of the core and her ambitious family.

If you like my proposal, orderNchaos, pick a reason why you are still on board and maybe let us know what Mya thinks of her situation.

Satan_Klaus

SatanKlaus

Let's talk ships.

What kind of ship do you want to ride out into the black? We need a medium sized transport, capable of transporting 10+ people and some cargo for a long haul. It must be able to go atmospheric or carry a very big, cargo-carrying shuttle. Sizewise, we are looking at between 100-1000 metric tons of loaded weight. The firefly is the obvious choice, but there are other options, like the Trans-U or the CL-54, maybe even a custom job. There are more things are flying in the 'verse than most people would believe.

More importantly, what does she look like? Is she new or a rustbucket? It's probably not the shiniest ship in the verse, either way, but it makes a difference how people will look on the ship and her crew.

Last but not least, what's her name? I want to hear suggestions!

Satan_Klaus

Koekje

Well, since we're in the midst of a war. How about an older, downed military dropship fixed up with parts from other ships? Preferably from the other faction as well, to make it a lovable mix and impossible to properly detect? This would imply it's a rustbucket that has been pieced together, but properly taken care of by the crew.

I'd vote for something like the "Line", since we're constantly on the line in the major conflict, on the line of legality, ...
O'O's

SatanKlaus

You are not in the midst of a war, you are on the brink of war. The shooting hasn't started properly...yet. There is lots of tension, though. And flying around in a decommissioned, not properly registered military vessel of unclear allegiance is just asking for all kinds of trouble...which is kinda cool.

The 'Line' is a nice name. Just be prepared for lots of 'end of the line' jokes...

Satan_Klaus

Branwen

Koekje

"Scheherazade."
Sounds mysterious! :p

And wouldn't the captain/first mate be the ones to choose the ship? Seeing as the rest of us were probably only taken aboard after he/she gets the ship?

Oh, and I do love a good running gag :p
O'O's

SatanKlaus

Quote from: Koekje on November 14, 2012, 07:38:12 AM
And wouldn't the captain/first mate be the ones to choose the ship? Seeing as the rest of us were probably only taken aboard after he/she gets the ship?

Well I'm not asking the characters, I am asking the players. Considering how important the ships is going to be in your adventures, I thought you might want to have a say in the decision.

SatanKlaus

orderNchaos

Quote from: SatanKlaus on November 14, 2012, 05:04:56 AM
Please remember that this is just an 'interest check' thread. Please do not shoot down other player's character ideas. That's for me to do before we move to the next stage of the play.

Personally, I think a 'kept' doctor could work out. Here is my idea how Mya Richone could have found herself a place on the ship:

Her transport broke down catastrophically and was left adrift without power or life support. The surviving crew and passengers slowly suffocated but Mya was trapped in the medbay section, where she had access to bottled oxygen and drugs to slow down her metabolism to make it last even longer.

Fast forward a week or so, our heroic (il)legal salvage team finds the wreck and sets to work. They are surprised to find the ship's doctor alive and well. Realizing that she is from a rich core family, the captain told her that he could take her off the derelict and bring her home...but that the fare would be astronomical and that she would have to sign an indenture to make sure that she pays. Of course she refused...at first. When the captain ordered the ship to undock after all the salvage was on board, she quickly changed her mind. Dignity becomes such a...malleable term when you are faced with the prospect of being left behind alone in the black like that.

Now she has been on the ship for some time and people treat her okay. She may not have the same rights as the crew, not such a nice bunk and probably has to do scutwork when there is no patient to treat. But she is the doc and the crew knows that they shouldn't abuse her too much.

As an indentured girl, she has to do the work she is assigned and live under the rules imposed on her by her contract holder but she is not a slave. She has most civil rights a freeperson has, (except for freedom of movement and freedom of employ, of course). She comes from a rich family so, if she wanted to, she could probably buy out her own contract in the next civilized port with access to a core banking terminal. But for some reason, she hasn't yet.

Maybe the captain, keen on keeping her, always finds a shipboard task for Mya when they touch ground in a place where she could make it happen. As he holds her contract, putting her to work when and where he wants is legal, although it kinda bends the rules. In theory she should be allowed to pay her debt and walk away. But things like this happened often in earth that was' darker history, so there is a precedent. The captain likes to talk about liberty. He is a stout proponent of planet rights and local government...but he is kind of a prick when it comes to the liberty of others, so this would make sense.

Maybe her family isn't as rich as he assumed (and there are still her student loans and stuff) so she simply can't pay.

Maybe she is too proud to ask her family for money.

Maybe she kinda likes the life she has now, even though it sucks sometimes. Not returning home is her...rebellion of sorts...from the stiffling rules of the core and her ambitious family.

If you like my proposal, orderNchaos, pick a reason why you are still on board and maybe let us know what Mya thinks of her situation.

Satan_Klaus

I love the concept of being forced to join the crew or die.  I think the embarrassment of having to run to Balerephon due to unprofessional behavior put her in a situation where she is at odds with her family, thus their hesitation to pay her indentured status. 

"As an indentured girl, she has to do the work she is assigned and live under the rules imposed on her by her contract holder but she is not a slave. She has most civil rights a freeperson has, (except for freedom of movement and freedom of employ, of course). She comes from a rich family so, if she wanted to, she could probably buy out her own contract in the next civilized port with access to a core banking terminal. But for some reason, she hasn't yet. " and "Maybe she kinda likes the life she has now, even though it sucks sometimes. Not returning home is her...rebellion of sorts...from the stiffling rules of the core and her ambitious family."

Can I suggest that at the point where the story opens, she has paid off the bulk of her service? I still like having the plot stress of her owing a debt to the crew.  But as the comment says for some reason has not paid off her debt to leave the ship for some reason even though she has had many opportunities.  If possible I would like to start to slowly see her interaction with the crew as more of a part of the crew and less as an indentured servant, giving her the chance to integrate herself into the crew as an equal.  But we can work that over time. 

As for ships, I guess it depends a lot on the background of the crew.  I think something along the lines of the reaver style ship would be cool.

Not necessarily so torn up, more clean and shiny.