Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

I've been playing State of Decay and its DLC Breakdown on steam. Pretty good zombie survival game, with just the right amount of gamey-ness to the survival aspect.
My only complaint about the game is that it is not coop. Omg, this would be game of the year if it had up to four player coop.

If you are looking for new games upcoming in March... its going to be hard on your wallet.

-As mentioned, Bravely Default came out yesterday, though I havent played it myself. A SquEnix game that is *not* Final Fantasy, but still a Fantasy RPG (I know I've boiled it down, I'm not being mean to it, I just never paid attention to it)

-South Park: The Stick of Truth is up for March 7th. The game is made by Obsidian, the writing and story by Matt Stone and Trey Parker (the guys that actually own South Park). Make no mistake, this is the legit South Park game. You play as the new kid in town and are caught up in the other kids' fantasy story. I've seen gameplay vids, and there is a deep RPG in this akin to Final Fantasy. Graphics-wise, people not knowing better would assume you were watching an episode of the show. That said, if you are not a fan of the show, you may not like the game. Its your call, but you wouldn't go wrong for a decent solid RPG.

-Titanfall comes out mid-March. This is made by those people that left Creative Ward and the Call of Duty franchise. The game is difficult to describe. Its capped at 6v6, but you have npc troopers running around, and if you are not careful, a pack can take down a player. You play as a Pilot, who is basically a parkour super soldier with a Major in Mech Piloting. As you score kills and points you'll have your Titan Drop from the sky and you'll be able to rock it as a walking tank. Personally, in this world of games pushing for 120+ players on a map, I'm glad that this one is more modest in its player cap. Lore-wise to Titanfall, Pilots are special above average people that are Strategic and Tactical assets. You are a game changer on the battlefield. You are special for being one of the few people able to pilot Titans. Plus its going to be released on PC, so I'm good with that.

-Dark Souls 2 is coming out... Fuck. Yes.
If you don't know about Dark Souls, or Demon Souls, here is a comic about the difference between it and most modern games.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

This game is very difficult. It will not hold your hand and take you through to the end of the game. Just because it is difficult does not mean the game is unfair. If you fail it is because of your own damn fault. You didn't dodge in time, you didn't learn the attack animations of your weapon, you didn't learn the capabilities of your spells, you didn't learn what your enemy was capable of. Even after going through an area for the tenth or twentieth time, it demands your respect because if you don't it will kill you. And this is the second game. SQUEEE!

That rounds out the large production titles that have been released. There are quite a few indie titles that are out or coming out as well, but I don't have the money to drop on everything.

Chris Brady

What gets me about the comic, is that the game treats you like the kid in the second half of said comic the entire game!  You're supposed to be a worthless, useless lump the entire time.  And people loved that?  Are gamers really that much of a masochistic bunch?  Really?

And worse, the game isn't very hard.  It's slow, tedious and patience driven, but not really all that hard.  The patterns are simple, and matter of rote memorization.  So it punishes you with it's own learning tool by making everything deal boatloads of damage per blow, so what.  That's not difficulty.

I enjoyed my time with Dark Souls, but it's not half the 'great game' people claim it is.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on February 09, 2014, 12:31:45 PM
What gets me about the comic, is that the game treats you like the kid in the second half of said comic the entire game!  You're supposed to be a worthless, useless lump the entire time.  And people loved that?  Are gamers really that much of a masochistic bunch?  Really?

And worse, the game isn't very hard.  It's slow, tedious and patience driven, but not really all that hard.  The patterns are simple, and matter of rote memorization.  So it punishes you with it's own learning tool by making everything deal boatloads of damage per blow, so what.  That's not difficulty.

I enjoyed my time with Dark Souls, but it's not half the 'great game' people claim it is.

I agree with Chris, and I love Dark Souls's atmosphere, but honestly the difficulty might as well have been fake-difficulty the game. It doesn't actually rely on beating you, it only relies on you making a mistake as all humans must. If you memorize it well enough and know where to go and when it's not hard. It's one of those games where you have to beat it to know how to beat it.

Plus, any game that has me going to the internet within half an hour to learn basic game concepts is incredibly lacking.

Even old-school games has a manual  that would break down stats and mechanics. So the whole thing just doesn't mesh with me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

I want to point that I also pre-ordered Dark Souls 2 CE as a late birthday present for myself, because I don't MIND the slow, cautious pacing.  I'm encouraged by the combat as in all styles of fighting being more viable Than just sword and shield, and that the lore will be more 'front and center'.  One of the things that bothered me about DS1 was learning about everything via YouTube and how it was mostly supposition unsupported by the game due to lack of information provided.

The idea of gear and equipment providing some of the lore is an awesome idea,but dialog and the like should not be entirely ignored.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Revelation

I do kind of feel going off into a tangent whenever someone goes into dark souls in this topic is a bit much. Some people liked it, some people loved it - and some people disliked it, others don't. I'd kind of prefer people didn't feel like they didn't have to slight a game immediately when it comes up. I don't want to police this thread or act as a nanny, but it does make me kind of reluctant to discuss games here if I have to worry about the only responses I get being ones that also kind of belittle any taste in games I have.

Edit: I say this because this really isn't the first time its happened in this thread, as its happened like 2 other times about dark souls.

SinXAzgard21

I'll be getting Dark Souls 2 as well.  Bravely Default has pretty much been my only game since release, I'll be getting Lightning Returns this week to slow my pace in Default. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Tsenta

The issue I have isn't with the Souls series, it's with the fans. Anytime someone makes a legitimate complaint, it's because we're "not gud enuf @ de game." Blind fanatics irk me.  It's a solid series but it's far from perfect but when you point that out, it becomes a witch hunt.

I'm buying the Tales of Symphonia ps3 remake this month, I can't wait.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on February 09, 2014, 03:22:41 PM
I'll be getting Dark Souls 2 as well.  Bravely Default has pretty much been my only game since release, I'll be getting Lightning Returns this week to slow my pace in Default.
Yeah, I'll probably pick up Dark Souls 2 too, but I'm going to be much more cautious about it. I love the atmosphere, and they're saying they've fixed a lot of the games (considerable) problems, so it might be worth it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on February 09, 2014, 03:47:43 PM
Yeah, I'll probably pick up Dark Souls 2 too, but I'm going to be much more cautious about it. I love the atmosphere, and they're saying they've fixed a lot of the games (considerable) problems, so it might be worth it.

I'm waiting till may to get the pc version.

Infamous Second Son will be my first ps4 purchase.

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on February 09, 2014, 02:12:04 PM
I agree with Chris, and I love Dark Souls's atmosphere, but honestly the difficulty might as well have been fake-difficulty the game. It doesn't actually rely on beating you, it only relies on you making a mistake as all humans must. If you memorize it well enough and know where to go and when it's not hard. It's one of those games where you have to beat it to know how to beat it.

Plus, any game that has me going to the internet within half an hour to learn basic game concepts is incredibly lacking.

Even old-school games has a manual  that would break down stats and mechanics. So the whole thing just doesn't mesh with me.

Without going into too much detail: no, the initial run of Dark Souls isn't fake difficulty. NG+ yes, since all that does is make everything hit harder and have more health (which is what fake difficulty is generally all about: just add bigger numbers to the same behavior). The first run, no.

Any game becomes trivial if you memorize it. That doesn't mean the game is easy. It means you have to work to make it easy, ie: it's hard. If it weren't a hard game you wouldn't have to do anything to make it easy; that would be its default state. See also: Ninja Gaiden and its ilk. There's a reason "Nintendo hard" is a concept. But then you watch a speedrunner play this super hard game and breeze through it in five minutes and, oh, hey, that game's easy!

No. It's not easy. The guy practiced like hell to do that because it's hard.

That said, Dark Souls isn't Nintendo hard. It is harder than the majority of games in its generation, but that's because, as the comic linked above indicates, most games of its generation are cakewalks where Dark Souls actually requires some effort on your part. That's all.

It does have some design issues though, I'd agree with that. My main gripe is more with map design than stat readouts (since the game will tell you what your stats do if you ask it to and prioritizing them shouldn't be very difficult after that), but it definitely has design flaws.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

Quote from: Shjade on February 09, 2014, 08:22:23 PM
Without going into too much detail: no, the initial run of Dark Souls isn't fake difficulty. NG+ yes, since all that does is make everything hit harder and have more health (which is what fake difficulty is generally all about: just add bigger numbers to the same behavior). The first run, no.

Any game becomes trivial if you memorize it. That doesn't mean the game is easy. It means you have to work to make it easy, ie: it's hard. If it weren't a hard game you wouldn't have to do anything to make it easy; that would be its default state. See also: Ninja Gaiden and its ilk. There's a reason "Nintendo hard" is a concept. But then you watch a speedrunner play this super hard game and breeze through it in five minutes and, oh, hey, that game's easy!

No. It's not easy. The guy practiced like hell to do that because it's hard.

That said, Dark Souls isn't Nintendo hard. It is harder than the majority of games in its generation, but that's because, as the comic linked above indicates, most games of its generation are cakewalks where Dark Souls actually requires some effort on your part. That's all.

It does have some design issues though, I'd agree with that. My main gripe is more with map design than stat readouts (since the game will tell you what your stats do if you ask it to and prioritizing them shouldn't be very difficult after that), but it definitely has design flaws.
I've already argued Dark Souls 2 ad nauseum. I'm just going to disagree.

Ironwolf85

I got my hands on Bladestorm: the hundred years war.
The only game made by Konami's Dinasty Warriors team that wasn't a single hero mowing down million of helpless grunts.

It's a fantasy retelling of the hundred years war, they've got the historic facts right, but it's the same team so it's like if Edward the Black Prince or Joan of Arc were D&D characters.
With the popularity of this series they should have made more disks. But it is an incredibly popular download. Hopefully Konami starts making other eras in history than just "Three Kingdoms China" and "Fudal Japan."

This game is more of a RTS, in that your merc runs around leading units as a captian, and each unit has weaknesses and strenghs and some will cave your face in if you bring the wrong unit to fight them. (as opposed to the 8 tons of cannon fodder whose only purpose is to fly and die when you swing your weapon in Dinasty Warriors).

I loved the moment when I looked across the battlefield and saw elephants (fantasy unit) barreling towards my front lines, so I ran up, grabbed a crossbow, and directed the men to fire on those things before the hit us.
They still hit us, so I ran, and came back with cavalery, and caught the elephants in the side at a full charge saving my men.
It was glorious...
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Shjade

Koei. Koei makes these games.

Not Konami.

Sounds neat, though! I'll have to look this up. n.n
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Zekromnomnom

I keep seeing Bravely Default, so I went to google it to learn more and I was all like "Oh snap, it's for 3DS? I have one of those!". My worry was that it was going to be for XBone or PS4. I won't have either of those until like 2017, so I'm happy to hear of good stuff coming out for the one current system I actually have.

As for games I've been playing, I restarted Dragon Quest IX because I wanted to be able to play dress up. I've been trying to do some writing lately, so things with a controllable visual element like that really help inspire me some times.

Also back in...what was it, November? When XBox One came out? My brother and I finally got a 360 so I've been playing my old 360 games a lot. Mainly Borderlands 2 and Skyrim.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on February 10, 2014, 02:27:06 PM
I keep seeing Bravely Default, so I went to google it to learn more and I was all like "Oh snap, it's for 3DS? I have one of those!". My worry was that it was going to be for XBone or PS4. I won't have either of those until like 2017, so I'm happy to hear of good stuff coming out for the one current system I actually have.

As for games I've been playing, I restarted Dragon Quest IX because I wanted to be able to play dress up. I've been trying to do some writing lately, so things with a controllable visual element like that really help inspire me some times.

Also back in...what was it, November? When XBox One came out? My brother and I finally got a 360 so I've been playing my old 360 games a lot. Mainly Borderlands 2 and Skyrim.

Play the demo for Bravely.  The demo is its "own game."  No story spoilers and so on.  Also, if downloading the game, it needs 2k more blocks than a empty 4gb sd card has. 

I have Dragon Quest IX and love it.  Though seven was better, sad we won't see the remake over here.

Zekromnomnom

I'll probably just buy a cartridge, then. I need to see when it came out, though, to make sure I can still find one when I get money (I completely missed out on Radiant Historia because I didn't look for it in time and it's made me wary).

Chris Brady

It's been out in Japan since 2012, Europe sometime last year, and the Americas, last week or so.  :)

Zekromnomnom

Just have to add it to my ongoing list of things I want to get. I have most of the 3DS stuff I want so far, except the Fire Emblem one. Also, does anyone here know if the Kingdom Hearts game for 3DS already came out? I've kind of been behind the times with games lately.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on February 11, 2014, 04:52:32 PM
Just have to add it to my ongoing list of things I want to get. I have most of the 3DS stuff I want so far, except the Fire Emblem one. Also, does anyone here know if the Kingdom Hearts game for 3DS already came out? I've kind of been behind the times with games lately.

It came out, wasn't the best and I'll just wait for the cut scenes when the HD remaster of Final Mix 2 and Birth by Sleep final mix come out at the end of the year.

Dotley

Bought Final Fantasy III for my Vita. A few hours into it and I'm really enjoying it. I like being able to freely switch the character's jobs - it's been fun to play around with different combinations.
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."

Inkidu

Quote from: Dotley on February 12, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Bought Final Fantasy III for my Vita. A few hours into it and I'm really enjoying it. I like being able to freely switch the character's jobs - it's been fun to play around with different combinations.
FF V's job system is better. The only thing I don't like about III is it's basically dungeon rush.

Tsenta

100%'ed the pokedex on X, now wonderin' what game to move onto. Lol
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Inkidu

Still looking for something,  but I really can't find anything that just jumps out as awesome.

Revelation

This is a semi-related subject, but should we post here for games we're excited/anticipating in the near future? Or should that be its own separate thread?

SinXAzgard21

There is no thread for games we are waiting for.