Is there such a thing as a model too thin for Vicky's?

Started by Trieste, April 03, 2011, 10:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noelle

Do most American women actually look like that as a size 12, though? That woman looks like she's pretty fit and probably has a fairly healthy lifestyle. Let's not forget that a size 12 on a woman who's 5'10 is going to look different than a size 12 on a woman who's 5'4. None of this necessitates that a size 12 is healthy for your height, weight, or build -- especially considering the average height for a woman in the US is between 5'4-5'5 and we have a nation presently suffering from a large population of overweight/obese people.

I'm not saying that we couldn't do with more healthy representations of body types of all sizes, but those pictures are misleading in that I have my doubts that the average woman looks like those examples, either.

More on topic: The VS model just looks like she got shot from a really poor angle. She really doesn't look that much thinner than the other two to me, especially in the other four pictures. So long as she's not doing anything unhealthy to maintain that weight, uh, who cares? Thin women are as natural as curvaceous women. Slamming one does not make the other look better. You can have preferences and tastes, but this whole "real women are X or Y" thing really grates on me.

Besides, as I think it was already mentioned here, it's VS's business who they hire and who they fire. If they want a certain look for a job that is almost exclusively based on looks, then they have a right to demand it.

Oniya

Quote from: Noelle on April 05, 2011, 09:26:13 PM
More on topic: The VS model just looks like she got shot from a really poor angle. She really doesn't look that much thinner than the other two to me, especially in the other four pictures. So long as she's not doing anything unhealthy to maintain that weight, uh, who cares? Thin women are as natural as curvaceous women. Slamming one does not make the other look better. You can have preferences and tastes, but this whole "real women are X or Y" thing really grates on me.

In the first shot, she's leaning forward from the waist, which automatically makes the hips look smaller and the bust look bigger.  Result = Jessica Rabbit.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

grdell

Quote from: Mithlomwen on April 03, 2011, 11:15:16 AM
Take this pic for example.  The woman on the left is a size 8, the one in the middle is a 12, and the one on the right is a size 14:

In this (bi/gay) man's opinion, the one in the middle is just about perfect.

I like the fact that when they cast Jewel Staite as Kaylee in the original Firefly, they asked her to add on a little weight. She's too thin in the movie after she had the chance to take it back off. I liked the way she looked in the series. I'd do her all day and night, yes I would...  ;D
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Anjasa

Quote from: Noelle on April 05, 2011, 09:26:13 PM
Let's not forget that a size 12 on a woman who's 5'10 is going to look different than a size 12 on a woman who's 5'4.

This is really, really important to remember and I think a lot of people overlook it when thinking about this type of thing.

Also, I have no idea how sizing really works, even though I'm a woman. I wear size 3-4 pants, size 26 jeans, but I'm around 130lbs and, like, 5'2" or so? And my measurements are 35-26-39. According to the US Standard Clothing Sizes, I should be wearing a size 10 or something based on my hip size. So she might be a size 12, but according to what measurement standards? If it's according to the US Standard Clothing Sizes, that means her measurements are around 37-30-40 depending on her height.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_standard_clothing_size

I did a blog post on it recently (http://www.pathforgers.com/forums/entry.php?26-Boys-Who-Play-Girls-Body-Measurements) and it really is very, very confusing at times because of the lack of industry standards.

Another article on vanity sizing: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/business/25sizing.html?_r=1

As for the original model, I don't find her to be unhealthily skinny, but we all know that most companies don't look for 'level of health' in their models, but more about 'do they meet my aesthetic desires', which is why dove and sears often have larger women, where as things targeted to young or 'hip' people typically feature the standard large bust, tiny waist, overall thin look.