News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Oh my, these minis are awesome, Dhi! So... smooth...

I have painted one more mini: another Asura. I'll try to post some images soon...

Dhi

Please do! Let's keep the thread alive and show off those cool models.

I have more projects to share but I'm going to hold off because I don't want this thread to just be me fishing for compliments.

About a year ago I mentioned here that I was working on a mushroom base. Here's how that turned out!

Twilight Knight was an early favorite Kingdom Death model and probably the most famous pinup. Her posture and body proportions have a weight and personality that make these wonderful portfolio pieces.

This week I'm working on a new favorite KD piece, Fade. I can't post a picture directly because Fade is holding a newborn, but it's a beautiful narrative piece that's resonated with painters as a challenge to crystallize the determination of a mother in exile. Her big ole boobs probably do not hurt matters.

The other thing I'm working on this week is a cartoon pig from Super Dungeon Explore!

Dhi

Fade and Madam Hilde are finished! I'll get some pictures soon.

The next project I'm working on is the Khador Gun Carriage, a big horse-drawn dieselpunk tank. I've never painted a vehicle before, and this is a big, complicated one. Eek! There probably won't be room for anything else on the painting table across the next few weeks.

Dhi

Here's Madam Hilde.

Fade is an offsite link because she's holding an infant.
https://68.media.tumblr.com/b2734bd18ee751f09cbf1846ffc9f549/tumblr_omf2awtHhG1sm45xjo1_1280.png

These are the most recent things I've painted and represent about a year's time since Twilight Knight. I think my bases have improved since then, when I was just getting started. For the longest time I painted every base flat black and as a result my basing skill did not improve with my painting.

I have been frustrated with getting the photos to actually pick up the colors. Everything comes out much more drab than it looks in reality. Unfortunately the tools I'm working with are quite old and lack the color balance to distinguish gray from blue from green from brown on such a tiny scale. Since there's no discussion happening, I don't think it's worth the effort to share my hobby with Elliquiy. These are the last images I'll be posting.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Hi folks.  Just found this thread... I hate to say that I'm a terrible painter compared to most of you, thoughI love 40k, mostly from the converting aspect.  Here's some of my work....

I tend to stick to large vehicles more than anything else, just because they're easier to paint.  Although I am currently in the middle of a Celestant Prime, because I have a thing for angels...

Dhi

Conversion work is amazing, if anything I feel like it takes more creativity than painting. I wish I had the skills to convert things like that, especially now. I'm starting to see why more than a few people converted the Khador Gun Carriage from a horse-drawn dieselpunk tank to bulldozer. The horses are terrible with gaps wide enough to drop a penny through.

Dhi

Hey, since we have some sculptors posting here, I wanted to share a product that came to my attention this convention season.

It's a replacement for green stuff epoxy called Magic Sculpt. What makes it different is that its working time is soluble enough to be smoothed with a wet brush. It also claims to be non-toxic, but the danger of these resins comes from inhaling sanded particles, so it's a non-issue.

Jeremie Bonamant Teboul was on this next level sculpting by brush melting epoxy with acetone, but this is far less nasty. I picked some up off Amazon and look forward to trying it out.

In the meantime, I've finished Infinity's USAriadna Maverick, dismounted Maverick, two Grunts and a Foxtrot Ranger; Kingdom Death's Beyond the Wall narrative sculpt; and one of Malifaux's new crews, The Pen Is Mightier. I also picked up Angel Giraldez's new book, Masterclass Volume 2. It has some interesting ideas about airbrush pressure and Angel's distinctive Rembrandt style light placement. Most of the book is color recipes, which disappointed a lot of us looking to grow as painters. What's in there was worth it for me, and if you just don't have an eye for color, even better.

Dhi

Hello, me again!

There's a lot happening in the miniatures arena with Runewars, Fallout, and renewed interest in Warhammer. Is anyone out there getting back into painting? Looking to paint?

I needed to work on my lightbox setup for a commission, and as a result I did end up with some better pictures to show here.
Here's Fade and her infant again (linked for baby):
https://68.media.tumblr.com/d0f0cbf4cc054344b2202d30ac3c75c3/tumblr_opupq1HJbz1sm45xjo1_1280.jpg
Back:

Mounted maverick, from Infinity:

The last thing I painted before the commission, Kingdom Death's Savior:

Dhi

Better:

I really like how the peacock feather cloak turned out.

Here's something I finished the other day.

The mushrooms are made out of that Magic Sculpt stuff. It's fantastic! It doesn't really like to stick to metal, though, and needed some reinforcement. That's why the mushrooms look the way they do.

Ershin

Quote from: Dhi on March 17, 2017, 07:52:21 PM
Conversion work is amazing, if anything I feel like it takes more creativity than painting. I wish I had the skills to convert things like that, especially now. I'm starting to see why more than a few people converted the Khador Gun Carriage from a horse-drawn dieselpunk tank to bulldozer. The horses are terrible with gaps wide enough to drop a penny through.
I had the same problem with the Old Witch of Khador, there just seemed to be so much material missing. Having a similarly bad time putting Games Workshop's Ikit Klaw (now renamed Arch-Warlock) together.

Speaking of filthy rats, got these boys finished a couple months ago, got a few more big models (and some smaller hero minis) finished up since then but I've since gone back to trying to get my Space Wolves infantry finished up in time for 8th Edition 40k coming out.

And when a box comes with options I can't help but get the magnets out

Dhi

Ershin, you paint? Please post more, that's incredible! I love the weathering and all the little dials.

Ershin

Quote from: Dhi on May 16, 2017, 11:31:42 PM
Ershin, you paint? Please post more, that's incredible! I love the weathering and all the little dials.

Thank you very much. I saw a lot of great work on here (including yours) and thought I'd share. I'll try and get more posted in the future, though progress is typically slow as I keep getting distracted by other minis. My poor Wolf Lord conversion has been sitting half finished for over a year now because my vision for him exceeded my ability.
Though here's some stuff I've got at hand;

More Skaven

The Warlord is the limited edition Games Day... I want to say 2011 mini? Nabbed him on eBay and painted his armour yellow because why not. The other two are from the Silver Tower board game and are currently a bit unfinished - note the lack of toxic gunk on their bases.

Space Wolves / Vylka Fenryka
Ragnar here is a conversion I made out of whats-his-name Khan from the White Scars, replacing the sword and head with bits from the most recent Space Wolves upgrade sprue, the pony tail is literally a horse's tail, the bronze wolf head was from an axe, belt from the Grey Hunter kit and the wolf head pelt was formerly part of the Terminator kit. I have just realised I missed painting the purity seal on the inside of his cloak. And also his eyes.

Logan Grimnar's most recent mini (his old metal one is lying around somewhere half painted). Comes with an anti-grav chariot / miniature space viking longboat(???), finished this paint job in December 2015 like... a couple days before Christmas when I had some time off work.
I hated the wolves pulling it, HATED them and that rigid iron bar connecting them because it implied the thing couldn't move on its own. Some jeweller's chain and two Fenrisian wolves later and it looks a bit more like the artwork on the inside cover of the Codex and gives the impression the wolves are chained there as attack dogs.

Also because he has the option of NOT riding  I made an addition to the base and played about with some magnets.

Saint Celestine
New mini from Gathering Storm Part 1. Very nice, glad they got rid of her shower curtain but the cyber-cherubs are now out of a job, poor guys. :(
Need to finish off the scrolls and touch up on her nose a bit since too much blue glaze went into her eyes when trying to make a glowing effect.

Also I need to find a way to stop her jiggling about so much since her entire weight is held up by that scroll, it's very concerning.

NURGLE BOYS

Daemon Prince - I want to get another of these guys and give him some gross fly wings. Found when I had his torso separate from his legs when painting him that with a little green stuff he's be really easy to pose in a flying position.

Festus the Leechlord (not attached to base)

Putrid Blightkings

Assorted Chaos

Sevatar -  First Captain of the Night Lords, Prince of Crows, Lord of the Atramentar
That knife he's holding has broken off more times than I care to think about. Still need to finish off the blood splatters on his flesh cloak o3o

Be'Lakor needs his sword finished. There are also a lot of little "spikes" on this mini that, at the time of painting, I did not realise were actually mold release stuff. WHOOPS.

Eldar/AELDARI???
Some Space Elves (well... one Harlequin and a fantasy mini standing in for a farseer because I like her) I painted up when the Ynnari, followers of the Eldar god of death Ynnead came out. Just these two. Because they're death worshippers I thought to myself "Hmm... Pure black! Maybe with some magic green junk". So it went. Pure black. Black clothed, black weapons, black jewellery and trinkets.
I named the wizard "Yvetta" after Evetta Muradasilova, the voice actress of the Maiden in Black and the Doll from Demon's Souls and Bloodborne respectively.

Yvetta - Maiden in Black, Farseer of the Ynnari (model is actually just the Mistwalker from the Silver Tower board game)

A Solitaire

Dhi

Thank you for posting, I love them! I would love to talk shop.

The swirls on the skaven goop are creative, I get what I'm looking at from just that little touch.

Space viking is my favorite, you did a great job on the conversion. I would have had no idea. Nice verdigris, I like that, and the dapple texture on the leather cloak.

The angels and doves look super delicate to work with. I like the white hair and pauldron designs on the cohorts.

The dark green you're using for some of the nurgle metal caught my eye. The way it contrasts with white almost looks like marble. Gross gut wound on axe guy.

Nice dark lava, it suits the dark mini and doesn't feel incongruous with the lighting.

What kind of materials do you use when converting?

Ershin

The conversions are just plastic, resin or metal parts and in the case of the cloak green stuff was used to sculpt a little bit of fur to fill in the gaps and make it look like one continuous pelt. Pins (or in my case bits of paperclip) are used for stability in less stable or thin connections, the pony tail and sword.

The longboat conversion was just adding in the chain (also removing a bit of material on the vehicle and replacing it with green stuff to keep it in place, also sculpting collars on the wolves) , though each individual link had to be glued in place to the next.

Verdigris and doves were done exactly the same way, Games Workshop make a technical paint Nihilahk Oxide which is specifically designed for verdigris. The texture is kind of chalky and just odd to the touch. Doves were dry brushed light grey and highlighted white, bronze was some of the verdigris paint removed with a damp tissue to allow the metal to show up more

The Skaven goop is based on gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn, the swirly texture of the gas looked interesting. One of the globes actually has a little "eye" storm like jupiter has.

Red parts (wounds, exposed muscle) on the nurgle guys are over saturated in the photos, look much brighter than they actually are.

Dhi

Vallejo put out some technical paints as well. I picked up the Vallejo Special Effects set which includes a verdigris wash, but I've had that set like a week, all I've used out of it so far was a color called rotten white. It's chunky and gross and my first thought is, what a cheapo paint, but then I realize it's meant to be pus. Yuuuuck.

I used rotten white to trace the mycorrhiza lines on the purple witch's base. Don't have much cause to paint pus, if I'm honest.

The way I've been doing verdigris before now was with a wash of turquoise, then bright turquoise, then white.

This is the clearest example I could find-

It looks very similar to yours, and your way seems way faster.

Ershin

Is the liquid coming out of the fountain's mouth part of the mini or did you add that to it yourself?

Dhi

It's added. That's as ambitious as my conversions get. I'd like to get to your level but I have no imagination for it.

Ershin

I think it looks great. :)

Sylk

i don't play the WH40k or even WHF.  But i enjoy painting the minis.  I don't have any pictures on this computer and honestly, i have about 2k worth of pewter waiting to be painted, then there's the plastic and other types they make now.

I'd love a few Squats on cycles to paint but they are few and hard to find.  Sometimes I surf Ebay for those.

sylk
Never underestimate the power of a single look.
    My Role Plays:  Keeping the Duchess from Harm  Rebel of Her Heart     On Flightless Wings   Hunter or Hunted My Blog  Sylken Threads

Dhi

Is Games Workshop your favorite miniature line?

I used to play Warmachine/Hordes, but the local scene died with Mark III and left me with quite a lot of totally-not-Russians Khador and werewolf druid Circle Orboros. Some are still unpainted.

Now I'm getting into Malifaux, a little bit. Just the basic crew boxes. I don't want to get into units again because they are so boring to paint, but if we can pick up a game crew versus crew that's perfect. No Shelter Here, Children of December, Beacon of Knowledge, and The Pen is Mightier are all painted and ready, and that's enough.

What I'm mainly painting now is Kingdom Death. Here's the Forsaker, painted over the weekend.

We are definitely playing this, although it's a not a wargame. I'm thinking about, maybe this fall when update 1.5 reaches backers, running a Kingdom Death campaign here on Elliquiy. It would be a Woody Bits game, nothing sexy or character-driven. Characters are expected to die in Roguelike fashion. It could also only accommodate 4-6 players, and I have no idea what the interest would be like. It seems like a ton of posters have heard of Kingdom Death, but almost no-one has actually played.

Forsaker represents 6/8 of the original Pinups of Death collection complete. It was two years ago almost to the day I ordered them, and when I did receive them I did not feel at all qualified to paint them. My brush work was just not at that level. So they sat in a box on the shelf for many months, but now, I don't want to paint anything else.

This is something else I painted over the weekend, Thundervale Huntress from Super Dungeon Explore.

You can probably see the mold lines are not cleaned up and there are too many layers. Cool Mini Or Not has some real issues with their plastic and this made cleanup and paint beading a problem. But, I think I know how to solve those now. The rest should be better.

Sylk, I want to help you get back into painting and get your money's worth out of all that pewter and plastic. How about a group paint or something?

Cataclysmic Archangel

GW is probably my favorite, only because I also love to build (probably more than painting) and so their plastic kits are great for conversions.  My new love out of them is their Stormcast Eternals, mostly the winged ones.  I recently finished up a 'Celestant Prime'... which I did as a giant fiery archangel. I have a thing for angels.

I've actually been looking into Warmahordes, specifically the Circle Orobos.  I like werewolves almost as much as angels, and was trying to figure out if there was a way to play that faction with JUST wolves.

TheLaughingOne

Its been forever since i did some painting, and this is my most recent..

And with a flash to kinda get a better look..

need to go back and touch up details some.

Getting back in with the shadow war armageddon stuff as my friends are jazzed for it, as am i.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Dhi

That thing looks huge! Nice job picking out the colors. I think I see some blacklining here and there separating the white from the gold. I like those colors, too.

Arcannyx, there are three different versions of Kaya now. Each one is suited for leading beasts, but you are going to need to take werewolves or at least an argus. Plain old wolves can't generate fury, so you'd be deprived of spells, survivability, and boosted damage.

There's a skinwalker warcaster now who is sort-of-but-not-really a werewolf himself. I have not seen him in action so I don't know how he plays, but my guess would be he's suited to skinwalker units and that doesn't really sound like what you want.

This is one of the reasons I gave up Warmahordes. Mark III promised to open up the game to all new lists, but there were barely any changes. It didn't renew interest and the local scene just died.

Here's something I painted yesterday, Kingdom Death Survivor.

TheLaughingOne

It is a pretty decent size, amd yeah,  olors are a silvered steel, brass, crimson and white. Black lining was from a gundam model pen which was nice and easy to use, now gotta go back over and finish leanin colors and other fi e details.

And that is a beautiful little one there!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Dhi on May 25, 2017, 04:52:10 PM

Arcannyx, there are three different versions of Kaya now. Each one is suited for leading beasts, but you are going to need to take werewolves or at least an argus. Plain old wolves can't generate fury, so you'd be deprived of spells, survivability, and boosted damage.

There's a skinwalker warcaster now who is sort-of-but-not-really a werewolf himself. I have not seen him in action so I don't know how he plays, but my guess would be he's suited to skinwalker units and that doesn't really sound like what you want.

This is one of the reasons I gave up Warmahordes. Mark III promised to open up the game to all new lists, but there were barely any changes. It didn't renew interest and the local scene just died.

Someone suggested one of the 'beastman' warcasters... they're like goatmen or something.  I've considered using him because he's at least the right size if I wanted to try and convert a Skinwalker caster to look similar.  When i said I wanted Wolves I meant all the skinwalkers, so that's fine.

Originally I was thinking of going to the new Convergence, but realized that there were only one or two Jacks that I loved the look of, while the others were... not as interesting.

Oh, and here's an angel.