:D Post your favorite Paradox. :D

Started by Wolfy, April 23, 2011, 02:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Or Paradoxes....Paradoxi?

Anyway...

Does a set of all sets include itself?

Oniya

Actually, the paradox would be 'Does the set of {all sets that do not include themselves} include itself?'

Also:

The statement below is a true statement.
The statement above is a false statement.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

WhiteyChan

I'd quote the twin paradox, but that's easily resolved if one considers the Lorentz transformations when applied to the Special Theory of Relativity.

So, instead, I shall revert to XKCD.

Ok, I couldn't find it. Never mind, here it is in text:

Person 1: "I'm a paradox"
Person 2: "No you're not"
Person 1: "Exactly".

Jag

Paradox.

Oh wait...uh, Michi fail...

Uh, I like the Pinocchio paradox. "My nose will be growing".
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Kunoichi

*prefers the Grandfather Paradox, herself*

Sabby

I don't count Time Paradoxes because I'm almost certain time doesn't work that way :P

Oniya

Quote from: Michi No Sora on April 23, 2011, 09:16:44 PM
Paradox.

Oh wait...uh, Michi fail...

I was wondering who would be the first one to put that up.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Kunoichi

Well, here is a fun little paradox. ^^ It's an ashtray with a no smoking sign on it.

AllieCat

if this was a pictures thread, I'd post  a picture of a couple, ahem, "women of the night" and say, there's your pairofdoxies ;)

(no? Um.. Ok.. I'll get me coat)

WhiteyChan

Quote from: Sabby on April 23, 2011, 11:18:38 PM
I don't count Time Paradoxes because I'm almost certain time doesn't work that way :P

See what I said above about Special Relativity xD Totally does work. Its just not what you'd expect if you didn't know about SR.

Sabby

I don't think anyone knows how Time Travel could work, or if its even something you could cross or move along at all... when I use it, the very act of travel erases everything that comes after the destination. If you go back 200 years, then those 200 years cease to be. Say goodbye to your time. Events now play out fresh, and the chances of them resembling the way they were is small. I mean, life is pretty chaotic, and events are created by randomness that would NEVER get repeated results, so this kind of time travelling is sweeping the slate clean and then tossing new chalk on bit by bit.

...to be OT, here's a nice Paradox. The Common Dolphin becomes endangered.

Yorubi

Between two rational choices, how do you pick the rational choice?

Pointless Digression

Some choices are more rational than others, I suppose.

I was going to mention the Grandfather Paradox myself, but I was beaten to it, and it appears that time travel paradoxes are off the table. I once read a short story about the GP, however, in which the protagonist survived two assassination attempts by his grandson and preempted the third by deciding to not have children. Paradoxically inverting the paradox!

But I digress. What about a moral paradox in philosophy? If one takes the Golden Rule seriously, then what is one to do about armed neighbors intending murder?

Remiel

Quote from: Michi No Sora on April 23, 2011, 09:16:44 PM
Uh, I like the Pinocchio paradox. "My nose will be growing".

That's awesome.  Now I can't help but wonder what would happen if he actually said that.  Would his head explode in a shower of splinters?

Yorubi

Well in terms of picking a rational choice between two rational choices, it assumed both choices are equally rational to pick from.

Time paradox are so easy to go about making up since there is no way to actually scientifically prove it to work. Theories exist for it, but most of those theories themselves are abstract or only go one way. I can only wonder about alternate dimension paradoxes that could exist as well.

Given that there might possibly be several dimensions, if an individual acted out in the same exact manor, it would lead to the same outcome. Give that the things accomplished are the same exact thing, it makes sense that it would lead to the same outcome, but if its different dimensions that have different physics behind them and other means to alter what tasks might happen, how would it be possible the same results might occur that might lead them to continue in the same way as the individual from another dimension?

Hemingway

Quote from: Yorubi on April 25, 2011, 11:34:18 AM
Well in terms of picking a rational choice between two rational choices, it assumed both choices are equally rational to pick from.

Is this really a paradox, though? I mean, if both choices are equal in every way with neither option being better in any regard, then the only rational thing to do is pick randomly. Based on that same premise, a random choice isn't really irrational. It may very well be the only rational thing to do. Unless you assume that randomness is inherently irrational, I don't see how that in and of itself is paradoxical.

Oniya

Since no-one's brought it up yet:

The Tortoise challenged Achilles to a race, claiming that he would win as long as Achilles gave him a small head start. Achilles laughed at this, for of course he was a mighty warrior and swift of foot, whereas the Tortoise was heavy and slow.
“How big a head start do you need?” he asked the Tortoise with a smile.
“Ten meters,” the latter replied.
Achilles laughed louder than ever. “You will surely lose, my friend, in that case,” he told the Tortoise, “but let us race, if you wish it.”
“On the contrary,” said the Tortoise, “I will win, and I can prove it to you by a simple argument.”
“Go on then,” Achilles replied, with less confidence than he felt before. He knew he was the superior athlete, but he also knew the Tortoise had the sharper wits, and he had lost many a bewildering argument with him before this.
“Suppose,” began the Tortoise, “that you give me a 10-meter head start. Would you say that you could cover that 10 meters between us very quickly?”
“Very quickly,” Achilles affirmed.
“And in that time, how far should I have gone, do you think?”
“Perhaps a meter – no more,” said Achilles after a moment's thought.
“Very well,” replied the Tortoise, “so now there is a meter between us. And you would catch up that distance very quickly?”
“Very quickly indeed!”
“And yet, in that time I shall have gone a little way farther, so that now you must catch that distance up, yes?”

“Ye-es,” said Achilles slowly.
“And while you are doing so, I shall have gone a little way farther, so that you must then catch up the new distance,” the Tortoise continued smoothly.
Achilles said nothing.
“And so you see, in each moment you must be catching up the distance between us, and yet I – at the same time – will be adding a new distance, however small, for you to catch up again.”
“Indeed, it must be so,” said Achilles wearily.
“And so you can never catch up,” the Tortoise concluded sympathetically.
“You are right, as always,” said Achilles sadly – and conceded the race.

Hemingway

This is why I no longer race tortoises. Conniving bastards...

Inkidu

"I always lie." Is my favorite right after Silverman's Paradox which is:

"Murphy's Law states that if it can possibly go wrong it will; this must mean that Murphy's Law will succumb to itself."

I can hear your mind blowing.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on April 25, 2011, 06:44:57 PM
"I always lie." Is my favorite right after Silverman's Paradox which is:

Now Norman, listen carefully.  "I am lying"
-Harcourt Fenton Mudd