Quotes, sayings and wit

Started by Captain Maltese, December 24, 2016, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigon

Captain Maltese

Being brave is easy until you perceive the seriousness of the threat.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Trigon

Captain Maltese

- "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Roy Battys last words, uttered by Rutger Hauger in Blade Runner. He improvised the lines!

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Nico

Captain Maltese

“Then you'll feel your cheek scratched...
A little kiss, like a crazy spider,
Will run round your neck...

And you'll say to me : "Find it !" bending your head
- And we'll take a long time to find that creature
- Which travels a lot...”

― Arthur Rimbaud

Trigon

Nico

Nico

Luryd

From My Rotting Body, Flowers Shall Grow, and I Am in Them, and That Is Eternity. —Edvard Munch.
• Hyperspecfic fixation  • Open-minded
• Digital Artist  • Sona|OC shipper 
• Romance lover • Fated pair type
∆Venturing into unknow written lands∆

Trigon

Captain Maltese

"Never argue with stupid people; they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

- Mark Twain

Trigon

“Imitation is suicide.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Captain Maltese

“A poet makes himself a visionary through a long, boundless, and systematized disorganization of all the senses. All forms of love, of suffering, of madness; he searches himself, he exhausts within himself all poisons, and preserves their quintessences. Unspeakable torment, where he will need the greatest faith, a superhuman strength, where he becomes all men the great invalid, the great criminal, the great accursed--and the Supreme Scientist! For he attains the unknown! Because he has cultivated his soul, already rich, more than anyone! He attains the unknown, and if, demented, he finally loses the understanding of his visions, he will at least have seen them! So what if he is destroyed in his ecstatic flight through things unheard of, unnameable: other horrible workers will come; they will begin at the horizons where the first one has fallen!”

― Arthur Rimbaud

Nico

Captain Maltese

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
- Winston Churchill

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Trevino on June 08, 2017, 07:59:31 PM

"I have always liked the story of the piece of paper that they found on the frozen corspe of Captain Scott. "I have done this to show what an Englishman can do". The man was dead, so it was good. If he had written iot in a bistro*, it would have been nothing."

-André Malraux, in an interview

*a bar

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Captain Maltese

He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Nico

Quote from: Captain Maltese on June 13, 2017, 10:34:51 AM
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
+1
One of my most favourite philosophers!

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Captain Maltese

Nic, I do have a taste for people who can make their minds soar without entirely losing track of their hearts.

-----

Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own... Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

- Robert A. Heinlein

BlueJayHighway

"The one who has enough courage and persistence to gaze at darkness for his entire life will be the first one to notice the gleam of light."~ Khan from Glukhovsky's Metro 2033, own translation, as I could not find the quote in English.

Captain Maltese

"Let everything that's been planned come true. Let them believe. And let them have a laugh at their passions. Because what they call passion actually is not some emotional energy, but just the friction between their souls and the outside world. And most important, let them believe in themselves. Let them be helpless like children, because weakness is a great thing, and strength is nothing. When a man is just born, he is weak and flexible. When he dies, he is hard and insensitive. When a tree is growing, it's tender and pliant. But when it's dry and hard, it dies. Hardness and strength are death's companions. Pliancy and weakness are expressions of the freshness of being. Because what has hardened will never win."

- said by the character Stalker, in the 1979 movie "Stalker".

BlueJayHighway

"But if I've got a pack of cigarettes in my pocket,
Then today won't be so bad after all,
And a ticket for the plane with silver wings,
Which flies away, leaving only a shadow on the ground..."

(original: "No esli est' v karmane pachka sigaret,
Znachit vse ne tak uzh plokho na segodnyashniy den'.
I bilet na samolet s serebristym krylom,
Chto, vzletaya, ostavlyaet zemle lish' ten'.")
~Viktor Tsoi, second verse of "Pachka Sigaret" ("Pack of Cigarettes") from his 1989 album, "A Star Called the Sun" ("Zvezda Po Imeni Solntse")

Nico

Captain Maltese

No man ever got very high by pulling other people down. The intelligent merchant does not knock his competitors. The sensible worker does not knock those who work with him. Don't knock your friends. Don't knock your enemies. Don't knock yourself.

- Alfred Lord Tennyson