Quotes, sayings and wit

Started by Captain Maltese, December 24, 2016, 03:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abandoneddolly

this has been my favorite quote  for a long time

" the torture you desire is the greatest of all" Lord Byron

Trigon

"Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal."

- E.O. Wilson

Nico

"Age is an issue of Mind over Matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Captain Maltese

Babylon 5, episode 7 ("War Prayer") Centaurion ambassado Londo Mollari is having a quiet moment with his young attache Vir Cotto after a very rough day.

The scene:

LONDO: ...My shoes are too tight.

VIR: ...Excuse me?

LONDO: Something my father said. He was... Old, very old at the time. I went into his room, and he was sitting, alone in the dark, crying. So I asked him what was wrong, and he said, "My shoes are too tight. But it doesn't matter, because I have forgotten how to dance." I never understood what that meant until now. My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance.

(Pause)

VIR: ...I don't understand.

LONDO: (Smiling wistfully) Nor should you.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Remiel

"He's had the clap so often it's more like applause."  -CIA Agent Slater, about super-spy Sterling Archer, just one of the many gems on the show Archer

Shekinah

People who don't work hard don't have the right to be envious of the people with talent. People fail because they don't understand the hard work necessary to be successful.

Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many.

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Story Tale

"I will always be there when you fall."

- The Ground

Nico

"Who, being loved, is poor?" - Oscar Wilde

Shekinah

I love fairy tales because of their haunting beauty and magical strangeness. They are set in worlds where anything can happen. Frogs can be kings, a thicket of brambles can hide a castle where a royal court has lain asleep for a hundred years, a boy can outwit a giant, and a girl can break a curse with nothing but her courage and steadfastness.

Kate Foresyth

My O/O's

Nico

"Art is the lie that enables us to realize the truth." -Pablo Picasso

VonHellsing

A handful of my favorites.

"...whether you hide in the heavens or on earth, I will bring you down from the spinning spheres; I will toss you in the air like a lion. I will leave no one alive in your realm; I will burn your city and your lands. If you wish to spare yourself and your venerable family, listen to my advice with the ear of intelligence. If you do not, you will see what God has willed."-Hulagu Khan, to the Caliph of Baghdad

"Cursed is the man who dies, but the evil done by him survives."-Abu Bakr as-Siddiq

"Man errs till he ceases to strive."-The Lord; Faust, Part 1

“Circumstances rule men; men do not rule circumstances.” -Herodotus

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity."-H.P Lovecraft

"From fanaticism to barbarism is only one step."-Denis Diderot

"Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite."-Attributed to Yakov Smirnov

"Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please."-Niccoló Machiavelli

"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways."-Gautama Buddha

"Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war."-Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I define manhood simply: Men should be tough, fair and courageous, never petty. Never looking for a fight but never backing from one either."-John Wayne

"There is no such thing as paranoia. Your worst fears can come true at any moment."-Hunter S. Thompson

"Know how I stayed alive this long? All these years? Fear. The spectacle of fearsome acts. Somebody steals from me: I cut off his hands. He offends me: I cut out his tongue. He rises against me: I cut off his head, stick it on a pike. Raise it high up so all in the streets can see. That's what preserves the order of things. Fear."-Bill the Butcher, Gangs of New York

“War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.”-Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
The difference between gods and demons largely depends on perspective.

Check out my O/Os!

Trigon

Captain Maltese

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Trigon

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

-- Gone With the Wind

Shekinah

I'm a damsel, I'm in distress, I can handle this. Have a nice day.
Megara - Hercules

My O/O's

Captain Maltese

"Your body is the church where Nature asks to be reverenced." - Marquis De Sade

VonHellsing

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."-Mark Twain

"My centre is giving way, my right is in retreat, situation excellent. I attack."-Ferdinand Foch

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."-G.K Gesterton

"How unlucky I am that this should happen to me. But not at all. Perhaps, say how lucky I am that I am not broken by what has happened, and I am not afraid of what is about to happen. For the same blow might have stricken anyone, but not many would have absorbed it without capitulation and complaint."-Marcus Aurelius

“Conquering the world on horseback is easy; it is dismounting and governing that is hard.”-Genghis Khan

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is barbarity."-Maximilian Robespierre
The difference between gods and demons largely depends on perspective.

Check out my O/Os!

Captain Maltese

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th' oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th' unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.—Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia!—Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remembered.

- Hamlet

Trigon

Nico

"Morality is not the doctrine of how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy of happiness." -  Immanuel Kant

Captain Maltese

"Good luck to you in your holy cause, Captain Sheridan. May your choices have better results than mine. Remembered not as a messenger, remembered not as a reformer, not as a prophet, not as a hero, not even as Sebastian. Remembered only as Jack."

– Sebastian the Inquisitor, Babylon 5

Trigon

Nico

Captain Maltese

From 'The Three Musketeers'.

(Porthos to D'Artagnan): - "You! Boy... are arrogant. Hot tempered. Entirely too bold. I like that. Reminds me of me."