Pathfinder City (Interest check)

Started by Rune, August 07, 2010, 07:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keelan

Hm... showing interest, and it would be yet another female, and a lesbian so that doesn't matter much with the rest of the given crowd ^_^

Was thinking Ranger or Barbarian, but for the latter I wouldn't be part of the 'barbaric horde' or whatnot; I define a barbarian as the flipside of the warrior coin with Fighter on the other side.  Fighters learn to fight through martial prowess, years of study and training, and oft-practiced technique, while Barbarians fight through passion, experience, and sheer force of will and audacity.

If anyone is an anime familiar, think Guts from Berserk as a Barbarian type I'd be playing, with the way he fights.

Rune

Quote from: Keelan on August 07, 2010, 04:13:42 PM

If anyone is an anime familiar, think Guts from Berserk as a Barbarian type I'd be playing, with the way he fights.

I played the video game but missed most of the anime. Was he as grim in the anime?

JerichoMyers

Oh, I think I get the gist of things with this. Could I be a Goblin Alchemists/Novice Mage?

Keelan

Quote from: Rune on August 07, 2010, 04:22:25 PM
I played the video game but missed most of the anime. Was he as grim in the anime?
Not sure about the game, but regarding the anime I'm talking more his combat style and methods to combat and less so his personality.  If you saw enough, the white-haired guy is a good representation of the warrior, using smaller weapons and technique instead of Guts who uses pure strength and willpower.

To clarify, the difference is in their methods: a fighter uses more equipment (fluff-wise, not necessarily mechanically or ICly) to give him an edge, uses techniques he's studied to thwart his opponent's own style and techniques, and generally fights like a knight or another sort of tactically inclined fighter.  Barbarians use their own raw abilities (fluff-wise and mechanically, also likely ICly) to give them that edge, overwhelm's their opponent with force instead of strategy, and fights through raw emotion flooding them and influencing their actions.  Essentially, it's Fighter as a warrior through practice and training, and Barbarian as warrior through passion and power.

JerichoMyers

Name: Dennis Rapture
Race: Human
Class: Druid

Katina Tarask

Quote from: Rune on August 07, 2010, 04:22:25 PMI played the video game but missed most of the anime. Was he as grim in the anime?
The anime was an abomination against the manga.

(Well, okay, it wasn't horrible, but it was pretty bad and most of the monsters really lose their punch and become outright silly with the poor animation.)

The manga is perhaps the bleakest and most spectacular example of gritty high fantasy ever.  And yes, Guts is grim.  If anything, it gets worse.  (And then it gets better.  A bit.  But it's not over yet; the manga's still going.)
Quote from: Keelan on August 07, 2010, 04:13:42 PMWas thinking Ranger or Barbarian, but for the latter I wouldn't be part of the 'barbaric horde' or whatnot; I define a barbarian as the flipside of the warrior coin with Fighter on the other side.  Fighters learn to fight through martial prowess, years of study and training, and oft-practiced technique, while Barbarians fight through passion, experience, and sheer force of will and audacity.

And here, I consider Guts to be the quintessential Fighter for exactly the reasons you lay out.
Quote from: JerichoMyers on August 07, 2010, 04:58:56 PMClass: Novice Shapshifter
There is no such class and shapeshifting tends to be in short supply at level 1.  Get together with someone to walk you through the rules before making a hard, fast character concept.

Classes are something that are already in existence and set, then you choose from those.  'Tis the nature of the game.

JerichoMyers

So umm..... no joining until I read everything? Alright, gum drops. -Leaves to find a place to research-

Keelan

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 07, 2010, 05:11:23 PMAnd here, I consider Guts to be the quintessential Fighter for exactly the reasons you lay out.
Hm... you do have a point now that I think about it (and yes, anime sucks, and I've basically stopped with the manga entirely).  I'd think of a better example, but it would matter little and I'd rather not have the thread break out into a discussion on what class Guts was/is... I'll post a concept when I decide on it.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: JerichoMyers on August 07, 2010, 05:13:30 PMSo umm..... no joining until I read everything? Alright, gum drops. -Leaves to find a place to research-
Well, no need to read everything, or to do it on your own, but you should get together with someone who knows the game already to help you out.  It'll be far more streamlined, because it's a daunting stack to go through (and the SRD isn't exactly organized to help you get started).  Do you have any sort of instant messenger?
Quote from: Keelan on August 07, 2010, 05:16:19 PMHm... you do have a point now that I think about it (and yes, anime sucks, and I've basically stopped with the manga entirely).  I'd think of a better example, but it would matter little and I'd rather not have the thread break out into a discussion on what class Guts was/is... I'll post a concept when I decide on it.
Eh, you're not really missing out.  The quality's still high, but both the storyline and the release schedule are so agonizingly slow that it gets very frustrating.  Which is a shame, really, particularly since there's a real risk of the author dying before he finishes the series.

RubySlippers

My character I will note will not support either side she is in the fight for commonfolk, although I did change her order to the Order of the Sword, so if a barbarian village was under attack and the women and children threatened she would be there sword aiding them assuming I knew the attackers were going to abuse the non-combatants the women, children and old and sick. If the opposite was true she would defend the community if barbarians went to far.

An example lets say Barbarian and City armies squared off she would likely form the militia and what men and women who actually could fight into an army to defend the commoners homes after the two armies were done, to be sure they didn't abuse the farmers and villages. She would simply stay out of the fight since if its army to army its not her issue its what they do the commoners after that is the issue. If the remaining army behaved then she would stay out of it. Naturally talking to both leaders as to her intent under a white flag and all.

Katina Tarask

Name: Professor Celcia Carmichael
Race: Half-Elf or Human
Class: Alchemist
Special Note:
*Professor Celcia works as a professor of medicine and alchemy at the city's magic academy and runs a small apothecary to sell various medicines part-time on school grounds.
*This apothecary doubles as a front for slightly less legal goods.  Nothing dangerous like lethal poisons, but she does provide various love and lust potions, sleeping potions far more powerful than one would need for personal use, elixirs to put the drinker into a suggestive state or sap their strength, and any number of products that are most likely to be used for less-than-legitimae ends.
*Celcia deliberately stays ignorant of the less-than-legal dealings of many of her clients and even those of her close friends whom she knows through her side business.  Her clients are more than happy to oblige her desire for ignorance.
*The good professor is rather self-centered, and is both hedonist and an aesthete.
*Despite this, she cares deeply for her students.  Sometimes too deeply, but she has yet to act on this.  (If anyone wants to be a student, it could be fun~)
*Celecia has no qualms about using her various elixirs to "convince" people to give her what she wants if necessary.

Mechanical stuff:
*Can I take Ability Focus for potions Celecia crafts?  If so, assuming 19 intelligence, a Charm Person potion she makes would have a will save DC of 17 instead of 15.

*The Pathfinder crafting rules require a skill check to make a magic item.  For potions, I can use Craft (Alchemy).  The DC is 5+Caster Level, so, say, a 1st-level healing potion would be DC6.  However, the rules allow a crafter to forgo any one prerequisite (save for caster level) by increasing the DC by 5.  I interpret this as meaning my Alchemist can make potions of pretty much any spell, even if she can't cast it, though the DC to make, say, a CL1 Charm Person potion would be 11.  Which is good, since the very limited formula list would otherwise make an alchemist worse at making potions than a Wizard.  Sound fair?

*Do we get a trait?  Hedge Magician would be nice.

*I'd like to add a Reverse Gender spell/effect for potions.  Perhaps a 1st-level spell that works for either an hour per level or a flat 24 hours, fortitude negates.  And perhaps there's a 3rd-level version that's permanent (fortitude still negates), for when Celecia levels up.

*Do we roll for starting wealth or just take maximum?  Same with HP.

Brandon

I was kind of debating back and forth about it but Im interested. It would be nice to play a game beside running the savage isle. Not exactly sure what Ill play but Im feeling something roguish. Maybe an assassin in the making, or failing that I still havnt gotten to play my possessed amazon
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ironwolf85

I could sign up, most of my other rp's are kinda calming down...
maybe a civilized warrior of some kind...
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Marie Reynolds

its easy to convert 3.5 classes to pathfinder i have done it before. and  the class is in complete psionic handbook. So im willing to take on the extra work.

Rune

OK. I will try to get an OOC thrad set up this afternoon. Anyone have any ideas for the name of our city?

Rune

Someone PM'd me with the name Stormhaven as our city name. I wll be creating a character thread in the small goups, exotic, NC area. Go ahead and post your character stats there!

Katina Tarask

Um...
Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 07, 2010, 10:08:35 PM
Mechanical stuff:
*Can I take Ability Focus for potions Celecia crafts?  If so, assuming 19 intelligence, a Charm Person potion she makes would have a will save DC of 17 instead of 15.

*The Pathfinder crafting rules require a skill check to make a magic item.  For potions, I can use Craft (Alchemy).  The DC is 5+Caster Level, so, say, a 1st-level healing potion would be DC6.  However, the rules allow a crafter to forgo any one prerequisite (save for caster level) by increasing the DC by 5.  I interpret this as meaning my Alchemist can make potions of pretty much any spell, even if she can't cast it, though the DC to make, say, a CL1 Charm Person potion would be 11.  Which is good, since the very limited formula list would otherwise make an alchemist worse at making potions than a Wizard.  Sound fair?

*Do we get a trait?  Hedge Magician would be nice.

*I'd like to add a Reverse Gender spell/effect for potions.  Perhaps a 1st-level spell that works for either an hour per level or a flat 24 hours, fortitude negates.  And perhaps there's a 3rd-level version that's permanent (fortitude still negates), for when Celecia levels up.

*Do we roll for starting wealth or just take maximum?  Same with HP.

Rune

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 08, 2010, 11:17:45 AM
Um...

I will have to review the rules on abilty focus. I will be very flexible on potions as long as they are entertaining and aren't used to powergame.

I don't have the rules for traits, but there are several variant character options listed in the advanced players guide that should suit your needs.

Max Hp and starting money is fine.

Katina Tarask

Traits are in the APG.  Page 326.

Short version: A trait's like a flavorful mini-feat that the book suggests granting two of at character creation.

RubySlippers

How are we doing stats?

I know maximum gold, hit points and one minor artifact everyone starts with - ok just kidding on the last one.  ;D

Rune

I will have to read up on traits, but I don't see a problem with it so far.

Generate the stats as you see fit. Personally I like the heroic method. 2d6+6.

Katina Tarask

I despise rolling for stats with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns.

Would 20-point buy be acceptable?

RubySlippers

I'd prefer to roll standard 4d6 rerolling ones and dropping the lowest die. Is that ok? You can allow two options.

Character will change to, not sure what I'll be running.

Rune

Like I said. I am not particular about how you generate the stats as long as you are happy with the results and you aren't overly unbalanced.

Ixy

Name: Eshi
Race: Half-Elf (Human/Drow)
Class: Bard or Rogue (leaning towards NE, bard class makes sense but is fucking stupid)

Additional notes: Stage-dreams and spotlight fantasies have been crushed again and again for this young woman because of the prejudice she's faced as a half-drow.  She is most comfortable when wearing a mask or veiled from prying eyes by darkness, but she needs to perform-- it brings her great joy to perform, and to some degree she enjoys shocking, terrifying, or arousing her audience.  "Out of character", she's withdrawn, shy, curious and looking for acceptance.  "In character" she has no filter; she would do or say just about anything to make a performance powerful.  She has a mask collection, a blossoming knife fetish... she lives in the cellars of the theater, works taverns by night, and I would LOVE for her to be recruited to an assassin's guild for some time and/or to find a Shadowdancer mentor, lover, or friend.