Saint's Row: the RP! All are welcome to join in at any time.

Started by SargentToughie, September 17, 2011, 11:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SargentToughie

Not even overused and unfunny internet memes are enough to portray how much madness is going to take place in this RP.

Premise & Gameplay

The idea is simple: The saints have lost control of stilwater yet again, and this time, it's going to take more then one badass motherfucker to kick the new gangs out and put our purple wearing heroes back on the streets. This time, the few remaining saints will have to really work together, with everybody pulling an equal load, if they ever want a chance to be the top dogs in the city again.

The gangs

The Arbiters of Death: These guys get most of their recruits from the Stilwater insane asylum. If they see something that amuses them, they don't hesitate to act out on it, causing widespread devastation and destruction to rival gangs for no other reason then because they thought it would be funny. They are led by Abram Keller, a man rumored to have been kicked out of a nightclub because of his beard... That nightclub would later be caught in a very unfortunate and violent explosion, killing everybody inside.

The Shepherds: This gang came over from Italy to get a slice of American soil when they saw it up for grabs. Though they seem professional and businesslike on the surface, in the undergrounds, they are ruthless killers, who don't hesitate to step on anybody who stands between them and their money. They are led by Luigi Bonipi, who stole the gang from his brother at gunpoint after spending too much time in the shadows, not getting his fair share of recognition.

The Shadow Lions: A mysterious gang that seems to operate off vigilante justice. Of the three gangs that currently own Stilwater, the Shadow Lions are the ones that have the least information exposed about them. Their leader, motives, and actions remain a complete mystery to anybody on the outside.

As you can likely imagine, the premise is really only something to go in the background in order to give your characters an excuse to run around with rocket launchers, blasting apart city districts in order to cause collateral damage for money. The entire purpose of Saint's Row is to do one thing, and one thing only: have fun, and have a lot of it. Do you want to drive around on an ATV, racing through the city while you're on fire? We can accommodate. Do you want to just run through the missions with a cast of colorful and memorable characters, chronicling the resurrection of everybody's favorite street gang? We can accommodate. However, we (and by we I mean me) do highly suggest that you maintain a healthy balance of both activities and missions. After all, having too much of one without the other spoils either the fun of watching the plot unfold, or the fun of being able to cut loose and just blast shit apart for a little while. Both of these are critical pieces of the puzzle that makes Saint's Row as fun and memorable as it is, and I want the RP to encapsulate that as much as possible.

So, here's a little bit of a breakdown on how both game modes are going to operate. Keep in mind that if your character is in the middle of a mission, s/he cannot perform an activity until after it's been completed.

Missions: Whenever you feel that it's time to take the fight to an opposing gang, all you got to do is get into contact with the point man that's leading the attack on that particular gang (there will be one for each gang, all controlled by me). From there, you will receive a time and place to meet the point man, and they will put together a plan of attack, something that would cause harm to the gang in question. However, keep in mind that if it's been too long since a move has been made, one of the lieutenants can contact you, in order to get things going again. When missions involve more then just the lieutenant and one other player, they will act on a rotational basis, with each poster posting once before waiting for his/her turn in the cycle again. However, if one person starts taking too long to reply (24 hours after the last reply), his/her turn will be skipped, and I will account for their actions... if this is the case, you can fully expect your character to grab hold of the idiot ball, as a pseudo punishment for taking too long, as well as a way to keep things spicy, and other players thinking on their feet to react to a situation that just got worse.

Activities: Simple enough. I am going to provide a list of possible activities, as well as a little bit of a backstory for each one, as well as the objective of the activity. Your job, as the one performing it, is to write a story about how your character goes about completing the objective. The more creative, entertaining, off the wall, and effective, your story is at doing what I ask you to do, the better rewards you can get. For instance, you can get more money, with which you can buy better guns, or if you do a good enough job, just like in the games, you can get all new badass weapons, and unlimited ammo to go right along with it. Don't ask what the logic behind your character actually having unlimited ammo for his handgun is, this is Saint's Row, bitch! Activities will include, but are not limited to, the following few examples. If any of you have an idea for an activity, please don't hesitate to let me know.
-Snatch
-Destruction Derby
-Trail Blazing
-Mayhem
-Fuzz
-Hit & Run (original minigame, requires 2 players, one to drive the ATV, one to sit on the back with the rocket launcher)

Characters

An RP is only as good as it's characters, so I'm going to lay down some ground rules to ensure that we get some of the best characters that the world has ever seen. So, starting with the top, I'm going to lay out a character sheet, and tell you exactly what I expect from all of you in each category. Every player is allowed a maximum of 6 characters.

Name: (Derp)
Sexual orientation: (Derp cubed)
Height & Weight: (Every Derp needs a #5)

Appearance: (to save ourselves monumental ass pain, just stick to written description unless you have a screenshot of your character on hand)

History: (What is it that inspired your character to join the Saint's? Where did they come from? Where did they grow up? What's their story before the story?)

Personality: (doesn't need to be ultra in depth, just a little blurb about your character's personality)

Skills: (Anything from the list below, pick 3, no more, no less. This will impact how your character is used in missions, as well as what activities they'll be best at. One of the biggest things I have to ask of my players is that you guys stick to your skills. If you're playing as a stealth oriented character, I don't ever, ever, want to see him having a Rambo moment, it ruins the fun for everybody. If you want a commando, make another character who, you know is a commando. Having you guys play to your strengths and avoid your weaknesses keeps you all on your toes, and writing solutions to problems both creative to write and fun to read for the rest of us. Also, here's a big thing: skills can be rewards for completing activities multiple times over)
- Strong Arming (You can handle melee weapons more skillfully, and deal more damage with them, then a normal guy)
- Bullet Spraying (You can handle automatic weapons more skillfully then a normal guy. IE: machine guns and SMGs)
- Sharp Shooting (You can handle Semi-automatic weapons more skillfully then a normal guy. IE: Sniper Rifles, shotguns, handguns)
- Chaos Starting (You can handle heavy weapons and explosives more skillfully then a normal guy/ IE: Gatling Guns, flamethrowers, C4, and rocket launchers)
- Bullet Biting (You can take more damage then a normal guy. What? You're pulling out the logic argument again? I repeat myself, this is Saint's Row, bitch! If you get shot, just go get yourself some fast food and get back in the fight!)
- Sprinting (You can run faster then a normal guy, and longer, too)
- Sneaking (you can sneak better then a normal guy, able to slip behind enemy lines and sabotage things
- Driving (you can drive cars more skillfully then a normal guy, it'll come in handy more often then you'd think)
- Heavy Thinking (You can plan out strategies and adapt to bad situations better then a normal guy)
- Supply Packing (You can carry more supplies and gear then a normal guy)

Equipment: (the weapons and items that your character starts with. Obviously, you're not going to start out with very much, since it would totally ruin the point of going through the activities to get better stuff if everybody already starts out with the best stuff. As such, I'm allowing everybody to start out with 2 pieces of food (4 if you have Supply Packing as a skill), a knive (unless you chose Strong Arming as a skill, at which point you can choose between a baseball bat and a crowbar), and a firearm that specializes in a skill you chose (the lowest possible weapon of the tier). If you have no gun skills, you start with a Vice 9, the weakest handgun in the Saint's Row universe. If you don't know what kinds of weapons you can choose from, refer to this page for a comprehensive list of every gun featured in the RP.)

Vehicle: (again, nobody's starting with flashy sport's cars or fine tuned racecars. Pick a ride from this page and stick with it until you do something to unlock a better vehicle.)

FAQs

Q: Is this RP going to be freeform? Or System based?
A: Freeform. I know I just asked you to pick out 3 skills for your character, but this is to ensure that you rely on your teammates to cover for what you can't do, and helps to make the writing more spicy. Besides, it gives me more rewards to dish out for activities, and everybody likes rewards, right?

Q: Activities and Missions are nice and all, but I'll still be able to cut loose and do what I want to do outside of those, right?
A: Absolutely! If you want to write seven paragraphs about how your character sat on the couch all day and watched TV, more power to you. Saint's Row is a game where nothing is scripted, and anything can happen, so go ahead and write out whatever you feel that you want to.

Q: Help! The guy I've been posting with hasn't replied in 3 weeks!
A: Setting aside the fact that you didn't actually asked a question, just finish up the scene yourself and dip out.

Q: Is it cool if I send my 500 pound sumo wrestler character out streaking?
A: nothing is scripted for a reason, if you feel like doing that, then go on out there and traumatize you some pedestrians.

Q: Why does this question exist?
A: Because my OCD wouldn't allow for me to have a Q&A list of only four questions.

In Summary

First off, if you read through all that and you're still here, you're a badass.

We're all here for one reason, to have a tun of fun! Rest assured that if you put a little bit of time, effort, and responsibility into your character and into this RP, you will get a payoff beyond your wildest dreams. So, what do you say? Are you ready to get your hands dirty and watch the madness unfold? If so, express your interest and submit your characters today. There is no roof to how many players we can accept, so please, don't feel that we'll ever be too full for newcomers.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

bubby

Holy...GAWD...I think I love you. COLOR ME INTERESTED! Maybe. I find myself just a smidge intimidated by the amount of posts you've made, which in my humble mind dubs thee Master Awesome. 

Let alone the majorness of the game concept....

Is it ok if I just raise my hand from the back of the class for now, and watch and see what sorta characters pop up, to see if I'm worthy?

Revenent

Name: Simon Bain
Sexual orientation: Heterosexual
Height & Weight: 6'1", Over

Appearance: Dressed smartly in a dark blue matching set of sweatshirt and sweatpants, with red stripes on the arms and legs for that added flair, Simon is most recognized for his quite ironic choice of mime make-up on his face, with a black triangle above and below each of his eyes pointing away from them, as well as a small black rectangle at the middle of his bottom lip. Probably an ICP fan. His hair is died crimson red and tied back into a ponytail, and his figure suggests he packs quite a punch, if only because of the added momentum of his obesity. He appears to be of Asian descent, yet speaks with a distinctly British accent.

History: Simon was a problem child from the moment he spoke his first word ("fuck") and forced his parents to travel through quite a few different cities in order to find a school system that would accept such a delinquent, crime-driven child. Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, none of them would handle him for more than a few months. They tried to take him to a nicer area to see if it settled him down, but not even Bel Air could make this young man into an acceptable human being. Finally, Simon's parents decided there was only one place where their uncontrollable son would fit in, the last place they ever wanted to live: Stillwater.

Thankfully, once they arrived and enrolled Simon in his seventeenth school district, the boy seemed right at home and even became slightly more of a contained issue back at home, if only because the cops around there didn't even seem to flinch at the kinds of crimes a bunch of young teens could commit. Simon grew to love Stillwater and cemented it as his one and true home as he "matured" into "adulthood," and it didn't take him long to decide that he wanted to fulfill his lifelong dream right there in the city: form his own gang and make the city that much more miserable!

Of course, people who lived in Stillwater knew what kind of man Simon was and were at least smart enough not to join in anything that had him in the lead, so his plans quickly fell through. So began the process of Simon getting kicked around even more gangs than he had been schools, either because he shot the wrong person, or because he shot the right person but was wearing the wrong color when he did, or because he screwed the gang lord's girlfriend, or because he mistook the gang lord's girlfriend's chihuahua for a rat and stomped its ass. Now he's with the Saints, because they were next down on the list.

Personality: Loud, crude, offensive, confrontational, mean-spirited, all of which he would describe as passion. To be fair, he would never be the type of guy to betray his own gang, and he's actually extremely reliable for getting a job done as long as you check to make sure he's sober when you give it to him. Very sensitive about his weight.

Skills: Strong Arming
Heavy Thinking (Not so good at on-the-spot decision-making, but he can lay down a nice plan. It's just that during part that usually leads to him doing something stupid.)
Supply Packing

Equipment: -Wooden baseball bat.
-2 Strange Egg Rolls.
-2 Gin N' Juices.

Vehicle: Knoxville, painted black

Angel Fire

Mmm!   I have never played the game before but a lot of the skills reminds me of a long time gone by!  I'll be just like Bubby and sit in the back of the class for now.
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Laughing Hyena

Enigmaticx18

Holy shit! Now this brightens my day. I played the first and second. And I have the third one fully preordered. So without the need to actually state it. I love you and I'm interested lol. So without further ado here comes a profile!

Name: Michael Mcknight
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual
Height and Weight: Five foot elven, 140 pounds.

Appearence: Michael wears stylish eyeglasses, straight black hair with a tanned complexion. His eyes are a light blue making him stand out. Despite his weight he is toned, but decaying. At times he looks pale due to a serious illness.

Hisotry: At the age of 10 his parents died in a car accident, automatically making him a orphen. Sending him through multiple foster homes. At the age of 17 he applied for his own custody. Ever since he has been on his own making a living doing odd jobs. Eventually he ran into a few thugs in the alleyway. Being held up at gun point he decided to make a stand, ripping the gun from the mans hand and with three bullets the men were down. Bleeding upon the cold night alleyway. Standing over the men he had a wicked grin, the taste of blood excited him. The feeling of fight or flight over took him, he was a killer.
From the age of 17 til now he had become a killer for hire, just recently joining up with the saints prior to the fall. However something else plagues young michael, an illness. Tuburcious an illness that causes you to cough up blood repeatedly until it eventually bedriddens you and kills the host.

Personality: He is quiet and reserved half the time, however when riled up he can become a complete asshole. Thus making it apparent why he joined the saints in the first place, he felt at home with these men. They valued his skills highly, he is loyal to them. He can be a flirt at times aswell.

Skills:
Sharp Shooting
Strong arming
Sneaking

Equipment:
AR-40
Knife

Vech: Anchor van for those sneaky type of missions

bubby

SargentToughie

no, I think I said it before, but pictures aren't required.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Revenent

I think she's asking if she can use a real-life picture or something to that effect.

Also, for the benefit of those of us who have played very little of Saints Row, or even none at all, could you put at least very brief descriptions next to those Activity names so we can know what the heck they are?

Carlissa

Never played Saints Row before, but I've always fancied the series for it's insanity. Color me interested.

May take a while for me to set up a profile, though...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Ex68471

I am very interested. I have yet to play Saint's Row 2, but with any luck that will change soon.

I will be making a character shortly.
Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

SargentToughie

Alright, awesome sauce. I'll kick up an OOC and a character sheet thread tomorrow, with the IC to start on Friday.

Still open to any and all, don't hesitate to speak up.
Ons and offs

Aiden

SargentToughie

Sure, I guess I can allow it, as long as you do him justice.

You're permitted to pick from 5 skills, because it's freakin' Johnny Gat, but I've got my eye on you to make sure you don't abuse the power I offer.
Ons and offs

Aiden

I shall not disappoint,

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

assuming this is set a little after the events of the second game? I just want to make sure what to make of Aisha's death and maybe the disappearance of the "protagonist" which will put Gat on a crusade to find him and fuck shit up in the process.

SargentToughie

*Shh!* Spoilers! Some people here haven't played the second one yet!

But yes, to answer your question, it takes place after SR2
Ons and offs

Revenent

Aiden

Awesome, will work up a sheet within a day or so...might end up playing saints row 2 now since it was just a bad ass game!

Can't wait for the third one.

Aiden

The disappearance of the "protagonist" does not actually happen, It was something I want to use in this setting to make Gat come out and be a little more active for my sake.

Demon- Keep him a LT? Or just a "veteran"- I don't know if you want to keep all the Lt's NPCs

SargentToughie

Actually, if you want to make a few OCs, we can have Johnny come back guns a blazing in one of the earlier missions, once the Saints already have a chain of command established.
Ons and offs

Aiden

SargentToughie

awesome, thank you.

You can still have Johnny when he comes in though.
Ons and offs

bubby

Yeah, so, I'm going to have to back out. Just a smidge intimidated, don't think I can live up to the obvious awesomeness of this concept.

Revenent

If we're including canon characters, should I be thinking it's wise to go and finish the game now in case there are references to its plot? Or does it not really matter since it's not the most story-driven game ever? I doubt I'll have enough time to finish it by Friday or whenever Demo gets the IC up, anyway, and my main focuses right now are Deus Ex and Crysis 2.

SargentToughie

We won't be referring to the plot, like you pointed out, this RP won't exactly be story driven.

@bubby: sad to see you go. If you change your mind, I'm sure all of us would be more then happy to help you get up to speed.
Ons and offs