Update installation woes

Started by vysethethird, November 22, 2017, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vysethethird

Might as well see if I can get some help here. Granted, I have used google to try and look this up, but so far have not had much luck in finding a solution for the current update. And this update seems to have been a problem ever since Halloween I might add. I almost am wondering if my laptop is just dated (It's a little over 6 years old) but it's managed to hold up quite well. Anyway, the issue is that when I restart and the update process begins, it gets to about 34% installation and suddenly the screen goes blank (black screen, but still having some form of light) and the fan seems to grow louder in noise. I have tried turning off the wireless connection to trying a 'Clean boot' (which I am still unsure if I should turn off all functions in startup).

The only thing I have noticed odd is a dxkrnl error that has only occurred twice so far in the past... 3 weeks. I also know that there is a Windows 10 security update that also seems to be part of the update as well. I really am frustrated by this update, seeing as it always stalls out and then I have to have the recovery option go through its process with each restart.

If more information is needed, I will provide it if needed.

Vekseid

it may help to find out what the update itself is?

vysethethird

QuoteDefinition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.257.890.0)

That is the one I just downloaded, but not sure if that is the update that tries to install when rebooted.

Could also be 'Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)' or '(KB4033631)', though they are claimed to have successfully installed last Thursday (11/16/2017).

Then again, could be the Window's 10 upgrade assist causing the issue. Might have to reboot later and see.