Smartphones....which ones do you like and dislike?

Started by Aislinn, February 28, 2013, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aislinn

Sooooo...I'm in the process of researching for a new smartphone. I've had an i-phone in the past and liked it. However, I find that asking others what type of phones they like or don't is helpful so I'm asking the E community to help me out on this one!

And....discuss!
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Ryven

I've only recently acquired a Droid Razr M, and I am enjoying it so far.  I haven't experimented too much with it, but it seems to be very user friendly.  The only problem I have is my fat fingers pressing the wrong letters when I text, but that's really more me than the phone.

My opinion of Apple products is pretty low.  I don't like their marketing scheme and how they don't allow for nearly anything that isn't Apple approved.  iPhones just seem pretentious to me, but again, that is my opinion.

CupidCatt

I live for my iPhone. Anybody who trash talks the iphone is just jelly - or self-righteous (no offense :-) ) - I mean, it's a smart phone... it's always going to have an element of conspicuous consumption. Might as well get something sexy and efficient, and functional and fun. I like my phone and anybody who's snobby about it has issues.

It's just a phone. And iPhones are great.

Caeli

I love my LG Spectrum. At the time that I got it, it was the only the second dual-core phone in Verizon's lineup, the first of which my SO had and which I hadn't liked the look of very much. I'm a huge fan of LG's products - they're very solid and simple, but well-designed.

I really enjoy using the Android operating system. All of the apps that I use are available on Android, and more importantly, I have heavy Google product integration in my daily life - I use Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Play (Music, Movies, etc.), Google Maps, Google Talk, Google Drive - so it makes sense for me to get a product that integrates Google well into the operating system. My phone does not do it in the best way, but I absolutely am in love with my tablet, which does - and that makes it a heavy argument for me to move to the Nexus 4 when my current contract elapses. I love the screen real estate and the battery life, too - I can watch subtitled movies and drama episodes in perfect comfort, with no eye strain in the slightest.

Honestly, what you choose to use depends on what you look for in a smartphone. If you use iEverything in your life, it makes sense to get an iPhone. If you want to support open source software or are looking to tinker with your phone, then get an Android. The specific make of your smartphone if you get an Android will depend, again, on what you want to use it for. Read reviews and see what's available with your carrier.

Quote from: CupidCatt on February 28, 2013, 06:15:17 PMI live for my iPhone. Anybody who trash talks the iphone is just jelly - or self-righteous (no offense :-) ) - I mean, it's a smart phone... it's always going to have an element of conspicuous consumption. Might as well get something sexy and efficient, and functional and fun. I like my phone and anybody who's snobby about it has issues.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I think it's presumptuous and rude for you to assume that anyone who trash talks the iPhone is jealous or self-righteous.

For the record, I could care less what type of phone anybody else has. I like my phone and think it's great. End of conversation. Anybody who wants to spout sonnets of love about iPhones or Samsungs or HTCs can do it, for all I care.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Beguile's Mistress

My phone is a Motorola flip phone with a pay-as-you-go plan.  All I want is a phone to make phone calls. 

Ryven

Quote from: CupidCatt on February 28, 2013, 06:15:17 PM
I live for my iPhone. Anybody who trash talks the iphone is just jelly - or self-righteous (no offense :-) ) - I mean, it's a smart phone... it's always going to have an element of conspicuous consumption. Might as well get something sexy and efficient, and functional and fun. I like my phone and anybody who's snobby about it has issues.

Saying 'no offense' after making snap judgments about a broad group of people, in this case, those who do not care for iphones, does not make those judgments any less offensive.  You're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine.  That being said, it's not what you say but how you say it.  Words which I try to live by.

Silver

I personally have a Samsung Galaxy 2 for me. I like Samsung phones, have had one made by them for the past 6 years just about. I personally like the Android system as opposed to the IOS that I have messed around with on friend's phones. I just like how they run as oppose to other ones that I have tried out.

That's a little bit rude. Just because you throw 'No Offense' behind something that comes off as rather offensive doesn't make it alright.  I don't like how Iphone markets things, makes things that can't be used with anything else. Like it has to be Apple or Else. I don't like that at all but that is my personal opinion but i will not tell anyone who owns a Iphone that they are playing with the devil or anything silly like that. Every person is different, we all do have freewill after all. Everyone being the same at the end of the day; same phone, same face, same everything. Not that wouldn't be very fun at the end of the day now would it?
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

SinXAzgard21

I got my Galaxy s3 and I'm loving it.  I use it to game on the go and since I can run a PSone on it I'm happy.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Koren

I dont have a smart phone myself (I like my brick of a nokia with buttons) but I've used my friends phones on occasion and I really liked the Samsung Galaxy (not sure which version) phone my friend had. If you want games its also good as Sin said. My mum also has a different samsung (not sure which version) and I like that one as well so samsung seems like a good bet if youre looking for something different.

Caeli's advice is good though. Look at what youre likely to use most on it. If you just want something for texts and calls go for something simpler. If you like the iCloud and all that system then its better to stick with an iPhone then go through the frustration of trying to transfer everything over which can be very difficult. If youre looking for something a bit more intergrated then something running android, or even the windows phone would be better suited. If youre looking for a soild phone then look at what they are made of and what warrenties they have and what plan you will get with it :)

Good luck with youre research and everything.

I personally dont like apple because of its incompatability with anything that isnt apple. I dont like its marketing or its buisness practices or its manufactoring practices either and as someone who doesnt want to agree with that I refuse to buy their products as much as possible. As for useability, my personal opinion is that all iOS inferaces are messy and could be much better managed. Also as a developer I hate developing for apple because its programs and licensing is a pain in the ass and so strict. It has a lot of bugs and far less support because a lot less people develop for it. Im not snobby, I dont have issues, and Im not 'jelly', I have legitimate reasons, and im sure most other people do to. Its not your place to make a judgement on people based on that.

Qt

I like Android the most out of the mobile OSes, not that I'm saying it's the best I just like the fact that it offers more freedom than iOS and windows phone (though I really dig the windows phone's interface). It's just much more easier to use when the phone allows effortless sideloading of apps and you're not being locked inside an app store.

I don't find android, at least from 4.0 ICS and up, any harder to use than iOS even if you just stick with stock apps, but it just allows a lot more freedom overall without the need of jailbreaking.

Aislinn

To be honest, the reason I got rid of the i-phone was because I didn't feel like I used it enough to make it worth the money. Now, I would probably use it more...but my needs are basic. GPS is a must have as is the calender app....text/phone calls....games...internet access. I don't need to upload to clouds or anything like that. I just want something that's fun and simple.

Thank you for all the opinions thus far! I love hearing everyone's thoughts. I have to admit I've been leaning towards the Samsung line up a bit...but then I always think maybe I should go back to the i-phone since I'm familiar with it.

Yeahhhh...I'm still undecided.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Remy

I've got an iphone4...and while I enjoy it, I won't be sticking to apple in future.  I had a little galaxy before, cheep and cheerful and was a wonderful little phone.  When the iphone is gone, I'll be heading back to galaxy again I think.

Callie Del Noire

I like my iPhone.. the Applecare plan is one of the best.. that being said.. the androids are some good models too..

RESEARCH what you are getting though. Some providers like to drop 'bloatware' on the Androids. I have a friend who has gone through two now in a year and a half (he's hard on portable hardware..when we worked together.. I typically had to do three broken tool investigations on him a fortnight). He LOVES this one model (I forget which right now) but his provider puts bloat on it (Like Bling Search as a tool..) so he roots every one he gets for his family.

CupidCatt

Interesting to see how worked up people get about their inalienable right to choose a smart phone.

Apologies for toes trodden on, etc. I was in a mood and my paean of praise went a little overboard. Enjoy your equally-valid-but-not-quite-as-fabulous phones. No offense.

8-)

Koren

Quote from: CupidCatt on March 01, 2013, 11:22:11 AM
Interesting to see how worked up people get about their inalienable right to choose a smart phone.

Apologies for toes trodden on, etc. I was in a mood and my paean of praise went a little overboard. Enjoy your equally-valid-but-not-quite-as-fabulous phones. No offense.

8-)

I dont have a smart phone and I wont get one, so I dont need to be frustrated you think Id pick wrong. Im frustrated but because you made a judgement of my entire self based on that.
And that bolded statement above makes me sincerely doubt youre sorry at all as you effectively, but much more subtly, are saying we're all stupid for making our own choices and not agreeing with you again. And again, saying no offense, doesnt preclude the right of people taking offence to your judgements of us, nor does the smiley

Callie Del Noire

8-)

Smartphones are like shoes..everyone needs something different for a good fit. I suggest research over my choice.. because it is something unique to each person. I do well with apple products, I like the lack of bloatware (though if I had an android it wouldn't bother me.. cause I know how to root). I like their care program and I have enough stuff that it's very smart for me to continue using apple products due to the apps I have.

I know folks who are like me on the android side of the fence..they've got enough apps it's only smart to carry on.

I know know folks who switch back and forth depending on what is the best deal is at hand at the moment.

Like I said.. Smartphones = Shoes. Each person needs a different fit.

I'd look at your provider, if you plan to stay with them, then look at what THEY offer for smart phones.. then look at what sort of programs/insurance is offered. Make your decision on that. If you are going to a new provider. Look at sevral and see what fit's best.

Beguile's Mistress

8-)

I'm not sure how you have been treated on other sites or how your behavior is received out there.  Here at Elliquiy we value respect and civility at all times.  Please read our rules once more and try to adhere to our policies in your future posts.  Any post you make can affect your approval.

Ephiral

Edit: Snarkiness got the better of me and I stepped out of line. I'm sorry.

On topic: I'll have to cast another vote for Samsung products, and the Galaxy S3 in particular. Samsung does push a fair amount of proprietary software - a lot of which duplicates Google services - but none of it *has* to run, so it amounts to a little bit of wasted storage. In regard to your specific concerns, I've found the GPS to be excellent but battery-draining in constant use (I can get resolution to ~2 meters indoors on a cloudy day at sea level, but constant real-time updating will chew my battery in ~45 minutes). It's highly responsive and a solid gaming platform, and integration with Google services is love. (It is so nice to be able to update contacts/calendar from a full keyboard without any extra steps needed.) Can't speak much to texting, since I use GTalk almost exclusively due to bouncing between four different platforms on a day-to-day basis. What I have seen doesn't appear exceptional in either way. As far as networking goes, it matches the iPhone 5 there - 802.11n and LTE-with-failover. I'm personally a huge fan of Chrome, and its mobile interface is pretty slick. Integration helps there, too, with Chrome To Phone and some third-party services to allow you to move tabs between machines. (I use 2Cloud, but am not in love with it.)

Physically... my experience with Samsung hardware has been excellent - their products are usually pretty damn rugged. The S3 in particular feels delicate to me, but I think that has more to do with how light and thin it is. (I'm coming to it from an Omnia 2.) I threw an Otterbox Defender on mine; it bulks it up substantially but not uncomfortably, and I feel comfortable letting my infant daughter use it as a toy.

Hope this helps; feel free to hit me up with any specific questions.

Avis habilis

That behavior has already been admonished. No need to pile on additional reproaches. Let's keep to the topic at hand, politely, from here on in.

BlightRaptor

I got one of the first gen Motorola Droids when I was long overdue for a free upgrade. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have bothered getting into the smart phone thing, but this little sucker has served me well. It's been dropped, sat on, clawed at, chewed on, and sprayed with a hose yet it still marches along. I don't know if the newer Droids follow a similar design philosophy, but if this one is any indicator, I would definitely look into the newer ones (or other Android phones.) I'm not one to upgrade when there's something shiny and new; only when something stops working.

I don't brand myself as an Apple hater, because I use a MacPro for video editing. However, their design philosophy and business practices are not really geared towards someone like myself. I like to tinker and fidget with things to optimize them, but that's not for everyone. All tech has its strengths and weaknesses.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Ephiral on March 01, 2013, 01:30:41 PM

On topic: I'll have to cast another vote for Samsung products, and the Galaxy S3 in particular. Samsung does push a fair amount of proprietary software - a lot of which duplicates Google services - but none of it *has* to run, so it amounts to a little bit of wasted storage. In regard to your specific concerns, I've found the GPS to be excellent but battery-draining in constant use (I can get resolution to ~2 meters indoors on a cloudy day at sea level, but constant real-time updating will chew my battery in ~45 minutes). It's highly responsive and a solid gaming platform, and integration with Google services is love. (It is so nice to be able to update contacts/calendar from a full keyboard without any extra steps needed.) Can't speak much to texting, since I use GTalk almost exclusively due to bouncing between four different platforms on a day-to-day basis. What I have seen doesn't appear exceptional in either way. As far as networking goes, it matches the iPhone 5 there - 802.11n and LTE-with-failover. I'm personally a huge fan of Chrome, and its mobile interface is pretty slick. Integration helps there, too, with Chrome To Phone and some third-party services to allow you to move tabs between machines. (I use 2Cloud, but am not in love with it.)

Physically... my experience with Samsung hardware has been excellent - their products are usually pretty damn rugged. The S3 in particular feels delicate to me, but I think that has more to do with how light and thin it is. (I'm coming to it from an Omnia 2.) I threw an Otterbox Defender on mine; it bulks it up substantially but not uncomfortably, and I feel comfortable letting my infant daughter use it as a toy.

Hope this helps; feel free to hit me up with any specific questions.

Which is why I push it as the 'first android' choice and then follow up with a 'check what the provider is putting on it'.

My BIGGEST problem with Android is a profound and lasting disappointment with Google is their lack of promoting the Open Handset concept they started with. I think they had the clout to break what I see as a nasty lock on the phone market by the cell providers. I wish they'd return to it.

Spell

I both have an iPhone and an Android device, if it's design you are looking for, but still wanna tinker around with everything and the likes then you might get the same phone as I do.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z/

It's one of the better phones on the market, and best of all, waterproof! I use it in the tub and even under the shower, hah!
Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

CupidCatt

.. had no idea I was causing such a stir. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just being silly.

DISCLAIMER: I don't own any shares in Apple, and have no vested interest in promoting the phone.

Apologies to everyone whose feathers got ruffled, I guess my sense of humour only appeals to me :/