News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Gaddafi -- What a jerk

Started by Missy, September 01, 2011, 01:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14753645

I've been following this story loosely, as it's so popular, and have been largely without opinion since I wasn't too involved with the story or the relevant events.

But today I read the above article which started with his statement:

Quote"The Libyan people cannot kneel, cannot surrender, we are not women," he said in the message on the al-Rai channel.

What an ass! Women can't be Libyans now? Good riddance pal, hope they drop your brain-pan.

So basically I'm all in for the revolution now. Go for Freedom and Democracy boys and girls!

Lilias

Considering he used to be guarded by an elite corps of female bodyguards, that's all 'do as I say, not as I do' tripe.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lilias on September 01, 2011, 01:06:37 PM
Considering he used to be guarded by an elite corps of female bodyguards, that's all 'do as I say, not as I do' tripe.

He's not what you'd call the most.. stable of political types. :D

Oniya

I could make a number of comments about how many things he's overlooked (repopulation after the revolution being the least of them). 

I'll just leave it at the absolute folly of alienating half your population.  And presumably that corps of bodyguards.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

I loved the BBC interview early this summer where he was saying things like "They love me, all of them!" and "Have you seen any protests around here? None, and now that the hangover is going off, they're back in their beds" (the second half of that one referring to places like Benghazi where not even Gaddafi could deny that protests and street fighting were going on). It was soooo ludicrous. But of course he was a grimy dictator too, and I'm very happy he's been fought down - and that it's the Libyans themselves who have been doing most of the really hard and bitter work, who have paid in blood and sweat for this revolt.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lilias

Quote from: Oniya on September 01, 2011, 02:02:33 PM
I'll just leave it at the absolute folly of alienating half your population.  And presumably that corps of bodyguards.

He used to boast that they'd protect him to the last. Of course they ran for it long before the front broke. We girls are sensible. XD
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Sure

I doubt any unit issued high heels rather than boots is actually combat effective.

Reagan

Gaddafi is being investigated for the use of rape as a sanctioned weapon.  He is also reportedly guilty of using innocent female and child civilians as a human shield to allow them to retreat without being attacked.

So yeah, what a jerk.

I have my doubts though as regards the kind of peace and freedom we'll leave in our wake.  We still have too many lessons to learn from the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13705854

Missy

Peace and Freedom is about people respecting other peoples rights. Life, Liberty and the Persuit of Happiness is only possible if people respect one another. It's not about us, it's about the Libyans and the decisions they make once they have the opportunity. Libyans will decide whether to form some type of perverse vigilante-theocracy-society, for example, or to actually bear respect for one another's faith. America turned out well because we chose the latter in our time. Many other nations have worked out because when it came time they chose the latter. Part of the problem in Iraq was that they chose the prior (though I'm sure it's not the only problem). Additionally Afganistan has an issue with corruption in it's political ranks. Both examples are crippling, only time will tell if the Libyans work out to join the free-world sisters as a stable nation, but we cannot make them stable, that is up to the collective decisions of the Libyan majority.

Ironwolf85

agreed, many nations have their own problems nowadays, but at least the first and second world powers are lot more stable and prosperious than we used to be, and it's because of our choices not some mandate.

Gaddafi is a moron, and deluded about his own grandure. one minute he's gladly taking western assistance for his troops and infastructure, he next he's calling us all "imperialists, invaders, forgin devils" because we didn't support his regime when the people chose to revolt for the right reasons. I think that says we here in the US have grown up a little since the cold war.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Inkidu

You, sir, win the internet for the the most litotic (I'm guessing that's what it is since it's hyperbole, hyperbolic) title of the day. He truly is a grade-A tool.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Ironwolf85

no no inkidu, he is no simple tool, normal mortal men are tools (makes a fake dramatic gesture) the great and glorious leader of lybia is the hand crafted, plastic handled, carbon steel, 8 million dollar tool
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Oniya

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on September 18, 2011, 09:52:19 PM
no no inkidu, he is no simple tool, normal mortal men are tools (makes a fake dramatic gesture) the great and glorious leader of lybia is the hand crafted, plastic handled, carbon steel, 8 million dollar tool

There you go - military overspending.  (joke)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

I don't think he's insane.. maybe a bit of an ego maniac.. but not outright froth at the brain loony toons. That isn't to say he's not dangerous. He is.. he values no life besides his own. I'm quite sure he'd shoot his own children in the street if it gave him a remote chance of getting back up on top.

gaggedLouise

Well, Gaddafi has lost  none of his ability to sound like the Emperor Caligula (or the Emperor Jones), as if he were living in a dimension of his own. This afternoon he made a statement in a video tape presented on Syrian state tv. Quote:

"This magnificent regime is impossible to bring down! How can they speak of having toppled the Gaddafi regime, a regime that is represented in the hearts of all the millions of Libyans? Even speaking of any such toppling of Gaddafi incites laughter and sarcasm."

Those who died in the final battle for Tripoli will be rolling with laughter in their graves.

TheGlyphstone

Whelp, problem solved. Much as the 'killing a prisoner' bit grates on me a little, I really cannot blame them at all.

Scribbles

I couldn't watch the whole video of his capture... Even if he was "evil" I'm not sure anyone deserves to be treated like that.

Oddly enough, many young Africans are outraged over this event. They see it as a grab for Libyan resources by the "imperialists".
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Spiked Hibiscus

Hmm call me a cynic but I've viewed this whole Lybia fiasco with a raised eyebrow.

I question the West's intentions, i really do. I think we are being fed a shit load of propaganda.

It was only a few years ago that Bush and Blair were breaking bread with Gaddafi. The west have a very hypocritical and mixed way of dealing with 'dictators'. It's seems like dictators with oil (and other resources) = bad and must be dethroned under the west's supervision whilst dictators sitting on a mountain of dirt are left alone to torture and exploit their people.

Callie Del Noire

Libya has always been.. difficult to deal with in the West.

gaggedLouise

I'd have preferred to see him go on trial, but hey I just feel he finally got what he deserved. The comment by one young soldier in the band that caught him says it all: "He called us dirty rats, but look where we found him!" (in the sewer pipe, literally)

Libya has a long way uphill that's for sure, and the really important things the west can help them with now aren't about soldiers but about building and protecting free media outlets, a safe and non-corrupted judiciary, civil services and political institutions, the kind of services and mentalities MG razed into the ground during forty years of dictatorship-

gaggedLouise

The now unseated dictator wrote a few books too: one collection of short stories was called Escape to Hell - not from Hell, which might have been a better fit.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2010/mar/24/dictator-lit-gaddafi

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8744/dsreview.htm

Zeitgeist

Is it at all noteworthy that we, the US, treated Osama Bin Laden's body with more deference and dignity than the Libyan people have show the body of Gaddafi? That's not a completely rhetorical question. I don't have any problem with the way Gaddafi died, but this ongoing display of his body is getting a tad gruesome and unseemly no?

http://rt.com/news/gaddafi-body-diplay-burial-493/

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

TheGlyphstone

Gruesome? Definitely.
Unseemly? Probably.
Unreasonable? Maybe.
Unexpected? Hell no.

Bin Laden, while an avowed enemy of the US, wasn't an avowed enemy while also nominally the person with sole supreme authority over leading and protecting the US. The Libyans have 40-odd years of oppression and brutality to work out on him, or at least his corpse.

Callie Del Noire

He still got better treatment than Mousolini did. 

Scribbles

The display is probably creating sympethisers and I've already seen comments about him being a leader, hero and martyr from a few people.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time