News:

Main Menu

Japan's Low-tech Truth

Started by Muninn, July 14, 2010, 07:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muninn

Revealing Japan's low-tech belly

QuotePolice stations without computers, 30-year-old "on hold" tapes grinding out tinny renditions of Greensleeves, ATMs that close when the bank does, suspect car engineering, and kerosene heaters but no central heating.

A dystopian vision of a nation with technology stuck in an Orwellian time warp? Not at all. These are aspects of contemporary, low-tech Japan (....)

This is so very, very true.  I thought things were that way around here because of the city I live in which is far from the most advanced city (granted that it is the second largest city in my prefecture).

I particularly hate the scary kerosene heaters (I never use mine) and ATMs closing at around  7-9pm and charging you roughly $1.50 to pull out money "after hours" (5pm-7/9pm and weekends) when this is a cash-based society!! I have never carried so much cash on me as I do here. Want to use a credit/debit card? Good luck... while some of the bigger companies and stores allow you it's a pain.  Oh, and you can order your amazon.com products with the C.O.D. option! I remember only hearing about C.O.D.s back home during those infomercials and even then they would all say "sorry, no C.O.D.s."

Wolfy

o-o..Muninn..you live in Japan? O-o...

Muninn

Quote from: Wolfy on July 14, 2010, 07:41:22 AM
o-o..Muninn..you live in Japan? O-o...

yes'm. Heading into my 3rd year.

Wolfy

Yayz..now I have someone to help me with my Japanese! :D

Taking my first class this coming semester..:D

Muninn

Quote from: Wolfy on July 14, 2010, 07:44:19 AM
Yayz..now I have someone to help me with my Japanese! :D

Taking my first class this coming semester..:D

Good luck!  Though I must warn you:  be prepared for a wild (and difficult) ride if you go past this first year.  Though, I am curious, is this an actual class where you learn kana and kanji or more of a conversation/romaji course?  I don't know if the latter exists anymore but I had a friend take one in community college and I was very confused. Romaji actually confuses the heck outta me.

Wolfy

I'm not sure. o-o

All that I know is that it's a Language Course. soo..*shrugs*