Welcome to erato

Started by Vekseid, August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madriv

Quote from: Vekseid on August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PMI set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

Could this have anything to do with the people on phones timing out, even after they reset?

Reno

Quote from: Madmartigan on August 20, 2013, 12:17:09 PM
Quote from: Vekseid on August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PMI set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

Could this have anything to do with the people on phones timing out, even after they reset?

That could be a big part of it, if the "rather large number" hasn't elapsed yet. Resetting the phone before the DNS server refreshes likely won't help, since the phone is going to be asking the same DNS server as it was before the reset, which will probably (depending on it's configuration) give the same answer until the lifetime elapses and the phone carrier's DNS server asks E's DNS server for the address again, at which point it will get the new answer.

Whether or not you can change the DNS server on a phone is probably phone/carrier dependent (Google's open DNS servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are returning the new addresses, apparently, judging by the fact that I'm able to get here. :)). If it's a smartphone, you might also be able to get on by connecting to wifi instead of over 3/4G. Might have the same problem if the wifi network's DNS server is still using the old cache, but that's probably easier to change than the one on the phone.

I hope that helps.

Blythe

I'm kind of curious--is the hosts file fix for us PC users something phone users can do as well?

Reno

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 01:09:46 PM
I'm kind of curious--is the hosts file fix for us PC users something phone users can do as well?

Depends on the phone, and how much of a power-user you are. I know for a fact that you can do it on a rooted Android phone, for example.

Theta Sigma

Took some time, but I'm back, on my laptop at least. Thanks for all the hard work put in, Veks! This place feels nice and speedy.

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Kanrya

Way to go Veks! way rocking! glad to be back and playing!

EverUndine

Thanks for all your hard work!! You deserve a drink!

TheDarkMiko

Awesome!! Thanks for everything!
[tr][td]
TDM's O/O's [/td]
[td]TDM's A/A's[/td]
[/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Indyo

Thanks Veks! The effort is felt all around :)
<3
~But girl I can't feel my face, what am I smoking anyway?
She says don't let the high go to waste,
Can you taste?
A little taste?~

You love it, really.M.M

Ephiral

I've been seeing a fair number of reports of issues after flushing - in fact, I had the same issue and I don't have a cache - so, if you see this, Veks, it might be helpful to note on the troll page that your DNS servers will have to get the new IP as well. Google Public DNS seems to be fine, but the servers I'm on still haven't updated, and the mobile phone thing seems to be pretty widespread.

RedEve

Thanks for the hard work Veks!

BTW, is it at all possible that I have a noticeable increase in my page-loading speeds?  :-)
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Kendra

I flushed my dns cache today because all I got was troll ;) but still nothing, wiped history of Firefox clean just in case but still nothing so then shut down and reboot the computer entirely but still nothing.
It was only an hour later that the new site came up for me.

I tried popping back in again just a while ago and Firefox brought me right back to the Troll again, so I did every thing as before, flushed, clear todays history, rebooted computer but again nothing.
So I started up Opera and voile, there was the new site. I took the http address from there and posted it into Firefox and it works grand now but am just hoping that I won't get Troll features ... cute as they are when I log in again tomorrow.  :-\

already told you what a great job you did Veks ;)

Frost

Thank you Vekseid for all your hard work!! I bet you must be frazzled after that major job!!

Vekseid

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 01:09:46 PM

Every OS with Internet capability has something like a hosts file somewhere. Just a matter of whether you can access it.

Quote from: RedEve on August 20, 2013, 02:47:18 PM
Thanks for the hard work Veks!

BTW, is it at all possible that I have a noticeable increase in my page-loading speeds?  :-)

You should. Old host had crazy amounts of dropped packets and the new server is much more powerful (2x ssds for database, 32 gigs of ram versus 12, the processor is twice as fast, etc.)

TexasWarren

Glad the transition went well. So much can go wrong with them. Looking forward to a smooth experience here.

TexasDM

Current Muse Score (0 - 10): 9

Formless

Quote from: Kendra on August 20, 2013, 03:43:26 PM
I flushed my dns cache today because all I got was troll ;) but still nothing, wiped history of Firefox clean just in case but still nothing so then shut down and reboot the computer entirely but still nothing.
It was only an hour later that the new site came up for me.

I tried popping back in again just a while ago and Firefox brought me right back to the Troll again, so I did every thing as before, flushed, clear todays history, rebooted computer but again nothing.
So I started up Opera and voile, there was the new site. I took the http address from there and posted it into Firefox and it works grand now but am just hoping that I won't get Troll features ... cute as they are when I log in again tomorrow.  :-\

already told you what a great job you did Veks ;)

I got the same but I have no idea what i did and it worked fine. I figured if I accepted the troll's dinner invite he'd leave me be. ::)

No seriously all I did was use the HTTPS address name ...

The Lioness

Way to go Veks! Now that I have my chromebook up to speed again, I can already feel a difference!

Have a cupcake for your hard work!

♥ Poems ♥ Story Ideas ( Updated 3/20/24) ♥ Ons/Offs ♥ F-List♥ A/A (Updated 1/23/2024)♥ Art ♥ My Kingdom ♥

♥Posts owed: 1/1 ♥ Posts completed: 0/1 ♥ Pending: 0 ♥
♥Status: Open ♥

ThePrince

Hello Erato, nice to meet you!

Its polite to acknowledge a person when they greet you.

Well then, maybe you'll be polite to my bat!

Seriously, thank you Vekseid.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

RedPhoenix

Oh Veks, I can't properly express my gratitude while maintaining a PG rating. If I ever have some $ to spare I will donate again. :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

MadPanda

(opens door, looks around, nods solemnly)

"This must be the place!"  (turns to yell over shoulder)  "Okay, chibi, back it on up."

(dodges as his Inner Child backs a dump truck full of the usual baggage, random dungeon furnishings, and mad science gear out onto the floor)

"Moving Day is always a trial!  Okay, chibi, now go take this six pack of bamboo biscotti and double-shot hazelnut mochas to Vekseid, stat, while your big sis and I get all this junk sorted out and set up again.  There's a good boy."

;D
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Violetstiele

Many thank yous from me too! :D

TheShii

It took me a day an a half, even after doing everything listed for the browser to stop giving me the troll site, but all things considered, even with my brief withdrawal period, everything went smoothly in the speed things were transferred.

Great work on getting anything through!

My Anti-AA's, My Randy OO's

Commission Me
"All your boners are belong to me >w>" ~Dim Hon

Mithlomwen

Thank you so much Veks.  There aren't enough words for gratitude.  You are awesome. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Avis habilis

Heroic work, Veks. Thank you!