News:

Main Menu

Favorite Console?

Started by Ryu, July 26, 2010, 11:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryu

Well, what is it? What's your favorite video game console?

Start from Atari/Coleco Vision and work your way up to whatever the latest thing is now.
I've lost track...Ps3 Slim, maybe?

I, personally, enjoy Nintendo's N64.
It was by far the best system. They came out with crazy awesome graphics that
revolutionized the Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda worlds! You can't even deny that!

I mean, I'mma let you finish, but SUPER MARIO 64 was the BEST game EVA!
Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Kanye has also had his input on my life.

But seriously, what's the best console, in your opinion?

Zero

SNES. It's library is unsurpassed when it comes to sheer breakout titles.

Plus, my favorite game was released on it. Seiken Densetsu 3.
*New Update.* A&A Updated 7/30/18

Lady Annabelle

I can't just pick one console.  It depends on the genre and type of game.

For multiplayer games, nothing beats the N64.
For variety of games, I love the PS2.
For quality of games, that's the SNES.

And the list could go on.  I can't choose just one as that would be like choosing between my children...
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Jag

I'm with Annabelle. It's too hard to choose just one. Admittedly, I don't game as much as I used to and I've never actually played a PS3 or Xbox game...I just seem to refuse to move on from my beloved games (though I may soon when that new Castlevania game comes out).

Quote from: Lady Annabelle on July 27, 2010, 08:28:48 AM
For multiplayer games, nothing beats the N64.
For variety of games, I love the PS2.
For quality of games, that's the SNES.

*points to what Annabelle said*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lithos

There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Wolfy

I disagree..for Multiplayer, Nothing beats either this generation or the last. Afterall, now you don't have to be in the same house to enjoy multiplayer with your friends.

Jag

Quote from: Wolfy on July 27, 2010, 10:30:01 AM
I disagree..for Multiplayer, Nothing beats either this generation or the last. Afterall, now you don't have to be in the same house to enjoy multiplayer with your friends.

I think that one is more of a preference than anything else. Personally, I'd rather be in the same room as the people I'm gaming with, that way when they win and I get angry I have someone to hit with the controller. :P
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Hemingway

I have many fond memories of playing SNES. I wouldn't trade my Xbox 360 for a SNES, but of past consoles, I'll go with that one.

Lady Annabelle

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 27, 2010, 10:35:39 AM
I think that one is more of a preference than anything else. Personally, I'd rather be in the same room as the people I'm gaming with, that way when they win and I get angry I have someone to hit with the controller. :P

This.

And plus, I'd rather not play against foul mouthed teenage boys that seem to inhabit most of the on line communities.  When it comes to multiplayer, nothing beats playing in the same room.  That experience is much more genuine and honest.

Of course, I think Michi and I are more old school than others.  ;)
All About Me  Where Am I?  Pixi's Twin  Miss Marguerite's Wife **True Girl Gamer**

"If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; But if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it." ~ Emily Bronte

"My heart beat so hard when I was near him, I feared he could hear my secret longing for him." ~ Destiny Vaestus

Will

I have to go with the SNES.  It just had so many great games!

I agree about N64 and multiplayer, and it had some awesome single player games as well.  It just seemed to drop off very suddenly, so even with the better graphics I can't pick it over the SNES.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Inkidu

Does it have games? I'll play it. I'm cheap like that...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nyarly

Quote from: Inkidu on July 27, 2010, 01:23:20 PM
Does it have games? I'll play it. I'm cheap like that...
Yes it has games. Unlike the PS3.

Yes, I wrote this post only to make a reference to a meme.

Inkidu

Quote from: Nyarly on July 27, 2010, 02:02:04 PM
Yes it has games. Unlike the PS3.

Yes, I wrote this post only to make a reference to a meme.
Hey if someone was willing to give me a PS3 and one of its good games for free I'd gladly play it Tuesday for a hamburger today.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Paradox

Haha, nice, Inkidu.

I never owned an SNES, so I really can't say much about it. I liked the Zelda and Mario World games on it, but those are the only two I played extensively except for Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, which totally rocked ass. Man, I loved that game. It may have been my first RPG, in fact.

For me, my favorite console would have to be the Nintendo 64. Prior to that, I had only owned an NES. Once I bought the Nintendo 64, the video gaming world opened up to me. I've had more great gaming experiences with the N64 than any other console. Mario 64, Shadows of the Empire, the first Zelda Game, Diddy Kong Racing, Hydro Thunder, Mario Party, Smash Brothers, Harvest Moon...ah, memories.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Ryu

Quote from: Paradox on July 27, 2010, 02:51:00 PM
For me, my favorite console would have to be the Nintendo 64. Prior to that, I had only owned an NES. Once I bought the Nintendo 64, the video gaming world opened up to me. I've had more great gaming experiences with the N64 than any other console. Mario 64, Shadows of the Empire, the first Zelda Game, Diddy Kong Racing, Hydro Thunder, Mario Party, Smash Brothers, Harvest Moon...ah, memories.

Hydro Thunder and Mario Kart were and always will be the best racing games in the world to me.
They're just...the best! I loved looking for shortcuts to beat my friends with a couple rounds, then show them how to do it so they can show off to their siblings!
I never teach my siblings, though, because being the oldest I feel I deserve to know secrets that they don't. I need to be smarter at video games that I grew up on and taught them how to play. It only seems right.  ;D

King_Furby

GolGol

I would say the ps2. Lot's of good games came out for that console. Although I must say that the ps3 will surpass it soon, for me at least ^^
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Jude

My thoughts on the consoles I've owned or played often (discluding handhelds) because I want to give my opinion of all (cause I like to write about gaming):

NES - The games were way too hard.  I never finished a single one and it's not just because I was pretty young back then.  I still have a hard time finishing them now, and I'm a fairly decent gamer :(

SNES - The beginning of real gaming for me.  I could actually finish these games, the difficulty level reached a sweet spot, the graphics were mindblowing at the time, tons of releases, and most games released for SNES are still playable now (graphically they still look pretty nice).  Controls were really tight, too.

N64 - A bastion of poor decisions.  From the controller, to the expansion slots, the rumble pack, choosing the cartridge format, etc.  There just weren't a whole lot of games released either.  I mean, of course, some the best games of this generation were released on N64 too.  Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Legend of Zelda:  Ocarina of time, Pokemon Stadium, and Wave Race 64 were all amazing.  Overall, it was still a misstep for Nintendo.

Playstation - Blew me away.  The graphics have not aged well, but at the time they were incredible.  Great controller design, extensive game library, and the golden age of RPGs.  The ability to play CDs seemed so cool to me at the time, as did Baby Universe and all of that.  Probably the biggest leap forward when it comes to any console yet in my opinion.

Playstation 2 - Again, amazing at first, the ability to play DVDs, great game library, looked awesome... and then you realized that the fat PS2 model was poorly designed with its lack of a dust shield on the laser.  After the first few of the generation most RPGs sucked, and there wasn't really a solidified "mascot" of this generation.  A lot of good series were poorly represented on the PS2.  Still a pretty solid console overall.  Long lifespan.  Great controller.  They should've done more with the online.

Gamecube - Disappointing controller, small games catalog, lackluster exclusives with the exception of Windwaker and Super Smash Brother's.  Pretty decent graphics, though, still not super-well designed (the mini-CD decision is still baffling to this day; it's cheaper to use a pre-established media Nintendo, get with the times).

Xbox - I hated the controller and the console's designs for both reasons of form and function, but I have to admit that this was the first console to really get online right.  It's just unfortunate that the console really lacked solid game releases in certain genres (RPG, Strategy) and really only had Halo driving it forward as a recognizable brand.  Don't get me wrong though, Halo 1 & 2 were awesome.  And I loved the Elder Scrolls III:  Morrowind.

Wii - Gimmicky trash with the exception of Wiiware downloadable titles and a few decent games here and there.  Incredibly small catalog of games worth playing, and I hate the motion controller's lack of precision and real utility.  More of an impediment to fun than fun itself.  Of course, this is just the opinion of someone who probably fits into the hardcore gaming category more than casual or mainstream; Wii is a very nice console for the gaming lite crowd, so I have to realize and admit to my own bias on this one.

Xbox 360 - Good solid console, improved controllers, excellent online support, and a neat overall interface.  Extremely affordable too.  I really love a lot of the arcade titles.  The addition of achievements was brilliant.  And while Playstation 3 has caught up to Xbox 360 in most ways, I feel this is the undisputed king of the current generation (for hardcore gamers) because so many of the features that Playstation 3 added after launch were pretty much stolen outright from Xbox 360 (trophies, anyone?).

Playstation 3 - Shaky launch because the bluray technology was anything but useful at start.  We're beginning to see some applications for it on games like Final Fantasy XIII (the 360 version needed 3 disks and still didn't have as good of visual fidelity because of compression to fit on them).  The pricepoint of this system started way too high, in the beginning Sony made a ridiculous amount of mistakes, but at least now they're pulling out of their talespin.  They still have a bit of a ways to go in catching up when it comes to the overall quality of the online experience, but at least they don't charge you to play games on the internet.  One thing that PS3 has done amazingly well is integrate support for the modding community into titles like Little Big Planet and Modnation Racers.  I have high hopes for the future of Sony consoles.

Overall:  I'd still say Playstation was the most revolutionary step forward, PS2 was a great addition, and Sony stumbled at first with PS3.  Microsoft did a great job of building a niche with Xbox then expanding into mainstream gaming with Xbox 360, but I still feel their products are too aimed at the FPS crowd.  Nintendo is still targeting families and casual gamers far too much to really cover the full spectrum.

All of that is about to change with the launch of Move and Kinect however, and at the same time 3DS is taking aim at hardcore gamers in a way the Wii and DS have not.  This holiday season is going to be an interesting time to be a video game analyst.  I can't wait to see what that blowhard Pachter says.

(Sorry for writing all of that, sometimes I just like to talk)

Katrina

NES...Nothing beats old school Mario Bros.  I miss that game...

Wolfy

Quote from: Katrina on July 31, 2010, 05:15:51 PM
NES...Nothing beats old school Mario Bros.  I miss that game...

*Cough*Supermariobroscrossover*cough*

Katrina

You should see a dr about that cough. ;)

CelestialExplosion

I would say the PS/PS2. It has the Final Fantasy 7-12... Star Ocean 2 and 3 as well as the Dark Cloud games... the Suikoden series too!  So much more as well.

LIAR

Super Nintendo and Playstation 2

Drake Valentine

I like how Sega is mostly ignored. ;3

But, in terms of systems, I do love the old Sega Genesis the best. One of the main reasons is because it is the only system, that the Japanese, release Langrisser over to America on. You will know of this game by the title of Warsong. There has been no more copies of that game series, as of date, on any of the newer consoles.

Of course there has been a few fanbased translations of the game products, mostly Der Langrisser which is technically Warsong still, but adapations of the story was only release on SNES in Japan. Not sure if that team ever finished their Langrisser II project.

Well, off to works I go.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Kopa

Howabout i go out on a limb and say I can live without counsels I love my computer :)