News:

Main Menu

Superdickery

Started by Spookie Monster, July 10, 2008, 05:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

So, it turns out that Superman is a dick.

Why, Superman, why?  I used to want to be just like you!  What good is being faster than a speeding bullet, though, when you're compelled to force your protégé to marry a gorilla?  What good is being more powerful than a locomotive when you're compelled to sentence Batman to be burned at the stake?  What good is being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound when you're compelled to make out on the grave of your wife and your unborn child?

Anyway, I encourage everybody to check out Superdickery for umpteen examples of Superman being a dick to his friends and loved ones.  Enjoy!

Spel

P.S.: This is how Superman would link to the site:
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Rhubarb

Tee hee.  ;D

That was a very common sales trick back in the day, particularly with Superman comics. Because everyone knew what a decent, wholesome, all-around-good-guy that ol' Supes was, the creators loved coming up with covers like this that showed him acting like a complete dick to friends and loved ones (particularly Jimmy Olsen, Lois Lane and Batman -- then again, Batman probably deserved it anyway ;)) and so hope that the potential reader would go: "GREAT KRYPTON! How can this BE?! I've got to read this comic! Even if I don't eat tonight, I'VE GOT TO HAVE THAT COMIC!"  And then, in the story itself, we'd get the scene in context and discover how Superman wasn't actually being mean; it was all for their own good/part of an arranged scheme in order to catch a supervillain.

Of course, in most cases the context wasn't anywhere near as fun or interesting as the cover was.

Awww, who cares. This is a great site anyway! *goes to look at more comics about Jimmy Olsen in the most bizarre situations*
...in my John Cleese voice:

I want another slice of Rhubarb tart!
I want another lovely slice!
I'm not disparaging the blueberry pie,
But Rhubarb tart is oh-so-very-nice!

Oh, and here are my ons and offs.

Mindhazingsquid

He continues his dickery even to this day.  The last movie he was a complete and utter dick.
point 1: he dropped a giant meteor in his adopted mother's field... that's not radioactive or bad for the field or anything.
point 2: he launched her dog's tenis ball over the horizon... go fetch now hah hah haa!
point 3: dropping a plane in the middle of a baseball game... cause you know... it's not like they had a GAME going on or anything...

Spookie Monster

Quote from: Rhubarb on July 10, 2008, 05:46:57 AMAnd then, in the story itself, we'd get the scene in context and discover how Superman wasn't actually being mean; it was all for their own good/part of an arranged scheme in order to catch a supervillain.

Mmm, indeed -- the ol' bait-and-switch.  Superman probably came up with that, too...

Quote from: mindhazingsquid on July 13, 2008, 03:00:06 AMHe continues his dickery even to this day.  The last movie he was a complete and utter dick.

Well, at least he's consistent!  I'm afraid that I didn't see the most recent movie quite yet; I got the impression that it wasn't for me.  Maybe I'll see it at some point in the future.  But if the next movie is based on something like "The Invasion of the Super-Ants" I might just go see that on opening weekend!  BZZ-BZZ!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you were enjoying the site, Rhubarb! :)

Spel
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~