What's the most racist show on TV?

Started by Mathim, August 01, 2008, 08:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I've been pondering this lately. I'm tempted to think it's The Boondocks but I just downloaded some of The PJ's and I'm starting to wonder, if there are more shows like that which are even more negative-stereotype-filled. Can anyone else think of shows that are pretty stereotype-laden? Doesn't matter what ethnicity they're bashing, as long as there's tons of it. Or does anyone agree with me about The Boondocks/The PJ's?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Caity

Archie Bunker?  Is that still on TV?

And I always thought that the white people on Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Family Matters were portrayed negatively.  *laughs*

Mathim

I had the impression it was always worse when black people were portrayed, they just have more negative stereotypes surrounding them to exploit, or so I believe I've observed. I mean, it's one thing to occasionally make a racist joke like South Park, but to revel in them like the shows I mentioned, that's going kind of too far. Sometimes it seems less like comedy and more like an actual attack on someone's race or culture.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kalen

The Proud Family... a cartoon.

Then again, I don't think that show portrays people of ANY race well.  It's all negative, and stereotypes.  Nasty stuff.

Mathim

You mean that Disney Channel show? Wow, I knew Disney had always been racist but even in this day and age, when people SUE for things like that? Shit...

Sealab 2021 on Adult Swim is pretty racist, at least in later seasons. When they get that Southern football coach as their new captain, he's really redneck-y.

ShrowdedPoet

I generally don't worry about things like what shows are racist. . .  

I was listening to the Corey and J show 100.3 the edge the other day.  They were discussing the stupid irritating lady who got offended cause her license plate read 3 numbers and NGR.  She said it could be read as Nigger and therefore was offensive and racist.  Now they're perging the database and spending tons of money to do so.  Well they have a conversation time where people call in and discuss things.  This man called complaining about how the Hotels.com commercials are racist cause the white guy is the foil to the black guy. . .

I just don't think about it usually.  I try not to be racist and that's all that matters to me.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Mathim

Well I see two problems. The first, is people seeking to profit off of racist sentiments and not caring who they offend or whose feelings they hurt. The second is people overreacting to things that aren't racist at all, and their paranoia only hurts other innocent people and wastes tons of time and money just to satisfy their own overinflated egos. To me, people like that are the racists because they obviously think badly of other races since their paranoia drives them to believe they deserve to be given special treatment over trivial things.

Caity

Is the "n" word allowed to be typed in this forum?...

Really?...

*feels sick*

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:08:53 PM

Really?...

*feels sick*

I hate the word but I typed it so that what I was trying to say would be understood but I think it is allowed on this forum cause I've heard it in many a PG 13 movie.
Ons and Offs

Caity

I have such a mental block to that word, I can't even complete it in my head.  Let alone speak it or type it. 

Sherona

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:08:53 PM

Really?...

*feels sick*

as long as it is not used in a derogatory manner, Poet was not calling anyone the N word, she was just stating what the NGR could have been read as. I would have said "it could have been read as the N- word" as most adults would have been able to figure out what N word was being referenced but she did not call anyone the slur so it was well wtihin the pg-13 bounds and the civility rule.

Caity

Personal opinion...

I think it should be stricken from everywhere.  Regardless of the rating... which really, means nothing.  That word, in any context, is disgusting. 

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:12:53 PM
I have such a mental block to that word, I can't even complete it in my head.  Let alone speak it or type it. 

I NEVER speak it, I generally don't say it in my head, and I hardly ever type it unless it's telling about something and I need to type the word for clarity.
Ons and Offs

Sherona

well I agree that for discussion purposes N-word comes a cross better then actually saying the N word. We are all adults, and unfortunately generally know exactly what N-word is being talked about. However on that same note, we /are/ all adults, and as long as its used as discussion purposes I see no reason to lynch the word when its not being used in such a derogatory way.

Caity

*lol*

But the word itself, regardless of content, is derogatory.  Like I said, just my personal opinion. 

I don't think saying it, or not wanting to hear or see it, makes anyone more or less of an adult. 

Sherona

I wasn't trying to say anyone was less adult in not liking the word. I personally can not stand it when someone uses the term Gay derogatorily. Such as "That is so Gay!" giving the term Gay a negative meaning, and in a sense saying that being gay is a bad thing as well. Yet it does not stop the youth of the world from doing it sadly. Where did that become so popular to say?

I digress. I should have phrased it like so "Using such a word in a discussion adn not actively smiting someone by calling them that should not really be a punishable offense." Bad wording on my part.

ShrowdedPoet

Actually the N word, looked up in a good dictionary, primarily means trash.  Not many of the other things that people use it as.  But the newer dictionaries have modified to add the derogatory definitions.  I always get irritated when I hear it.  And one time in band some kid who thought he was black and acted like a gangster (rich white kid) was calling me his n word.  I asked him several times not to before I finally yelled at him and explained that it didn't mean black, didn't mean friend, it meant trash and I was not trash.  My band director was shocked because I was very quite in band and immediatly came upon the situation.  The kid got sent to the principles office and in big trouble.
Ons and Offs

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Sherona on August 08, 2008, 02:26:06 PM
I wasn't trying to say anyone was less adult in not liking the word. I personally can not stand it when someone uses the term Gay derogatorily. Such as "That is so Gay!" giving the term Gay a negative meaning, and in a sense saying that being gay is a bad thing as well. Yet it does not stop the youth of the world from doing it sadly. Where did that become so popular to say?

I digress. I should have phrased it like so "Using such a word in a discussion adn not actively smiting someone by calling them that should not really be a punishable offense." Bad wording on my part.

I agree. . .and it was some time in my generation after I became a pre-teen that I started hearing it used like that.
Ons and Offs

Caity

I wasn't calling for punishment.  A small edit would be nice.  ;)

And I've had to hear it all my life.  My dad is the biggest racist ass*beep* I know.

Sherona

At least he wasn't hypocritical about it. My parents were adamant that they are not "racists or homophobes" but preached constantly against "interracial marriages and Homosexuality" ..*cringes*

Caity

*laughs*  He is.  He's nice to black and gay people in person. 

I would love it if he turns out to be gay.  I think him turning out to be black is more of a long shot.  It would have been paradise if he'd pretended not to be racist.

Mathim

I had some co-workers at my hotel job, half-white and half-hispanic, and they'd talk gangster all the time, saying the 'n-word' that ends with 'a' instead of 'er', you know, like black people say to each other as a term of endearment rather than derogatory. Why or how the word was twisted into something that is comfortable to be used by them, I can't imagine, but if they want to say it to each other, let 'em. I just hate when they jump down other peoples' throats about it if it's supposed to not mean anything bad anymore. It's the same word, but it suddenly becomes bad if someone of a different color says it? N-word, please! LOL.

Fact is, people are always going to be racists, and it's not just from one group, it's from all of them, and for every bigot who is white, there is one from every other ethnicity as well, just as bad as they are or worse. I'm sure negative stereotypes and peoples' upbringings have a lot to do with it, but I don't think anything is going to change how people feel, ever. Everyone wants to feel superior to someone else so whether or not their racism is legitimate or just an outlet for their inferiority (like, for instance, if someone who went through a lot of the stuff I did with other ethnicities and it turned them bigoted, that would be the former, whereas someone who just decides to go with the group mentality would be the latter) so unless you find the cure for the human condition (pun intended) then good luck changing the way the world thinks.

Personally I've endured lots of racial anger and hatred towards me from various minorities, and I never did anything to anyone to deserve it. I don't let it get me down, though, I know they're hurting and they just don't know how to deal with that pain except to lessen it slightly by spreading it to others.

Caity

It does have a different meaning depending on who says it.  *laughs*

The same way it's okay for certain people to call you names, but different if someone else says it.  It's the same name.  It just means something different. 

I don't agree with other races being just as racist as whites.. Who cares?  Why is that relevant?  Two wrongs don't make a right and all that jazz.  I personally base my behavior and beliefs on what I think is right, not what I can get away with cause other people do it too. 

ShrowdedPoet

Ons and Offs

Mathim

But it's naive to think that way. People who do right are walked all over by people who embrace the other approach. Fight fire with fire, I say, and be prepared to relaliate when necessary. Not in a racist way, but if someone shows you hatred and is really trying to hurt you, you need to stand up for yourself because more often than not, just explaining to them that they're wrong and should behave differently, won't work. Speaking their language, violent or hated, might not change their way of thinking but they'll sure think twice about who they spread it to.

Caity

I think I do the right thing... if not all the time, but a lot of the time.  *laughs*
It has nothing to do with being naive.  I'm far and away from being naive.  And if it's naive to believe good in people, I'd rather be naive than cynical and negative.
I can stand up for myself without spreading violence or hatred, and rarely get walked all over. 

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Mathim on August 09, 2008, 12:37:26 PM
But it's naive to think that way. People who do right are walked all over by people who embrace the other approach. Fight fire with fire, I say, and be prepared to relaliate when necessary. Not in a racist way, but if someone shows you hatred and is really trying to hurt you, you need to stand up for yourself because more often than not, just explaining to them that they're wrong and should behave differently, won't work. Speaking their language, violent or hated, might not change their way of thinking but they'll sure think twice about who they spread it to.

Look, I'm tough as nails and have had a pretty shitty existance.  I've always been treated badly no matter how nice or mean or scary I got.  You say naive, I say I'm not gonna let bitterness rule my life.  People are gonna act the way they want to and they'll pay for it when it's all over.  I want to be able to sleep at night in piece knowing that I know who I am and I act the way I see fit to act.
Ons and Offs

Caity

Trieste

Quote from: Caity on August 08, 2008, 02:16:29 PM
Personal opinion...

I think it should be stricken from everywhere.  Regardless of the rating... which really, means nothing.  That word, in any context, is disgusting. 

I disagree. It is only a word, and words have only the power you give them. Say it. Say it until it holds no meaning anymore, until it becomes one of those words that you've said so often that it becomes a nonsense word, no longer recogniseable because your brain is sick of it and refuses to process it anymore. Shying away from a simple word seems to me akin to linguistic superstition - and I'm not afraid to walk under ladders and pet black cats.

Aside from that commentary - I don't actually watch TV much ... but I have yet to run across anything that seemed like it was deliberately dissing another race.

Caity

It's not just a word.  It's a word filled with hundreds of years of hatred.  I don't shy away from it.  I just find it disgusting and would rather not hear it or see it.  Has nothing to do with superstition.  And I will never say it.  *laughs*

I also think spiders are gross, not going to get friendly with them until I don't care that they're gross anymore.   :P

wizeguy2182

Quote from: Trieste on August 09, 2008, 12:51:48 PM
I disagree. It is only a word, and words have only the power you give them. Say it. Say it until it holds no meaning anymore, until it becomes one of those words that you've said so often that it becomes a nonsense word, no longer recogniseable because your brain is sick of it and refuses to process it anymore. Shying away from a simple word seems to me akin to linguistic superstition - and I'm not afraid to walk under ladders and pet black cats.

Aside from that commentary - I don't actually watch TV much ... but I have yet to run across anything that seemed like it was deliberately dissing another race.

Amen. Why care? Its just another word, like M*th*r F*ck*r or @$$ hole or SOB. I hear those thrown around all the time but every one is sooooo afraid of the "N" word. *gasp* like saying it will cause the earth to open up and civilization to be swallowed whole. I'm still trying to figure out why its racist to use it, but its perfectly fine for people to call other people redneck. Why the double standard?

Caity

Gah!  *bites you*  And you were sooo close to being perfect. 
(before I get a siren on my butt, I know this person quite well)

MFer, doesn't bother me, neither does ahole or sob. 
Redneck doesn't bother me... though, I prefer to only be called a redneck by another redneck. 

The N word is different because of the hatred attached to it for hundreds of years.

There's actually a documentary on the history of the word.  I just ordered it from eBay.  I'll have to let you know how it is.  ;)

Sherona

Quote(before I get a siren on my butt, I know this person quite well

*blinks* Playful affection has never been unallowed on the site, as long as both parties wish for the playful affection.

Frankly any word can have hatred attached to it. Pink could have hatred attached to it. Fluffy could as well..it really is due to the use and the sensitivity to it. The more people throw fits over words the more power they have. I choose to release that power into the void by not giving the word power. *shrugs* That is just my opinion....sticks and stones and all.

Caity

And sometimes that playful affection is misinterpreted by one or more outside parties who don't know either person.

*laughs*

But Pink or Fluffy doesn't have all that history or hatred attached to it. 

A note on redneck.  I spent a year "talking" to this guy... a Yankee (north of the Mason Dixon Line), who called me "his" little redneck girl claiming affection.  And this was when he'd routinely equate it with lesser intelligence, racism, and incest. 

*headdesk* Gah!

Sherona

Ah but who knows what will happen in 100 years. Fluffy and Pink very well could....its just a habit to make words powerful.

Maeven

I'm with Sherona and Trieste on this one.

It's just a word.

The one thing that each and every one of us share, as human beings, is the fact that we wake up every single solitary day with the same thing: CHOICE. 

We choose how we react to everything that is presented to us. 

If you CHOOSE to give that word that power, then so be it. 

I don't.

Just as I don't choose to give power to the words cunt, whore, hoe, slut, bitch, tramp, harlot, toots, or any other number of derogatory terms that can be used to refer to a female member of society.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Sherona

Quote from: Maeven on August 09, 2008, 09:39:03 PM
I'm with Sherona and Trieste on this one.

It's just a word.

The one thing that each and every one of us share, as human beings, is the fact that we wake up every single solitary day with the same thing: CHOICE. 

We choose how we react to everything that is presented to us. 

If you CHOOSE to give that word that power, then so be it. 

I don't.

Just as I don't choose to give power to the words cunt, whore, hoe, slut, bitch, tramp, harlot, toots, or any other number of derogatory terms that can be used to refer to a female member of society.

Lord, if I chose to give Slut, whore, or Bitch power then I would be all pissy all the time. *grins*

Nice post Maeven, you said it so much nicer then I could have.

Caity

That's okay.

I'm fine in being alone with having such a negative reaction to the "n" word. 

I also agree that a word is only as bad or good as what YOU as an individual attach to it.  And I have little-no problem whatsoever with any other word mentioned. 

But the n word, is just... different.  It has a history of hatred that "mother******" and "cunt" do not.  It's my personal opinion, and I think I have a right to state it. 

Sherona

No one is saying you dont have a right to state the opinion? *blinks*

though Mother----- has been used for years, and actually was very offensive particularly to men up until very recently when it has been used quite commonly.

Caity

Yep.. It is quite common. 

The n-word still isn't common and still carries a hugely negative connotation... for an entire race of people.  *shrugs*

That means something to me. 

Maeven

You are certainly entitled to your opinion Caity.

That's one of the great things I've found about Elliquiy. No one here is going to 'flame' you for what you believe.  Just offer their viewpoints.
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

wizeguy2182

Quote from: Caity on August 09, 2008, 09:46:32 PMIt's my personal opinion, and I think I have a right to state it.

Even though my opinion differs from yours, youre awesome to stay strong in your convictions...

I won't hold it against you....   ;) :P

Caity

Pffft.. That hardly counts, Mr. Wizeguy..  You tend to think I'm amazing no matter what I say.   :P

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Maeven on August 09, 2008, 09:39:03 PM
cunt, whore, hoe, slut, bitch, tramp, harlot, toots,

Those words are bad. . .*shifty eyes*  Woops. . .*slinks off*
Ons and Offs

WyzardWhately

Is The Boondocks actually racist?  I thought it was satirizing racism.  It's one thing to decry certain viewpoints or words or whatever, it's another entirely to say they shouldn't be the content of a meta-discussion.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Mathim

Quote from: WyzardWhately on August 11, 2008, 03:26:28 PM
Is The Boondocks actually racist?  I thought it was satirizing racism.  It's one thing to decry certain viewpoints or words or whatever, it's another entirely to say they shouldn't be the content of a meta-discussion.

I used to think that, but they get so freaking aggressive with it sometimes, it's really frightening to think that the creator is an African-American. I mean, some of the things Uncle Ruckus says, I'm amazed there are African-Americans who will actually consent to say those things about their own race. That's really selling out, and even though it's supposed to be in jest, it just seems really full of hate. And they do it so often, it's like they can't think of anything funny on there EXCEPT for racist remarks and stereotypes.

The Overlord

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on August 08, 2008, 11:54:46 AM

I was listening to the Corey and J show 100.3 the edge the other day.  They were discussing the stupid irritating lady who got offended cause her license plate read 3 numbers and NGR.  She said it could be read as Nigger and therefore was offensive and racist.  Now they're perging the database and spending tons of money to do so.  

Makes you wonder how much of a fuss would have come up if her license plates read FKR.  :)

The Overlord

Quote from: Maeven on August 09, 2008, 09:58:57 PM

That's one of the great things I've found about Elliquiy. No one here is going to 'flame' you for what you believe.  Just offer their viewpoints.

Experience has showed me otherwise, but that's a whole other topic.

Caity

Wherever there are people with differing opinions, especially if there are quite a few with the same opinion... there will be flaming.  It's just human nature. 

Sherona

I think it is also how one perceives what is flaming and what is not. Opinionated personalities tend to get fiery when they are defending their positions, and sometimes this can be seen as flaming. Fiery, Feiry, Fiery looks right....*wanders off mumbling about spelling of fiery*

The Overlord

Quote from: Sherona on August 11, 2008, 06:53:22 PM
I think it is also how one perceives what is flaming and what is not. Opinionated personalities tend to get fiery when they are defending their positions, and sometimes this can be seen as flaming. Fiery, Feiry, Fiery looks right....*wanders off mumbling about spelling of fiery*

Point taken.

Mathim

I do'nt know if I made this up or if I heard this somewhere and forgot about it, but I remember saying to a friend, as a joke, "It's not a stereotype if it's true." He laughed and we had a chat about it, concluding that people really shouldn't act like negative stereotypes because that's how they get perpetuated. Whether it's black people acting like gangsters or white people acting like redneck hicks, people need to take personal responsibility about their behavior. I mean, what they do ends up hurting others because of what it makes other people believe...at least, to some extent.

I just had an amusing experience just a few minutes ago. Two older black gentlemen were using the computer next to me, and they said something about loving fried chicken. I smiled and turned to them and said, "Isn't that a stereotype?" They both laughed and then I said, "Well, name me one person who doesn't like fried chicken, right?" I mean, how is that a stereotype if everyone, no matter what ethnicity they are, do it? I mean, there are gang people of every race (well, actually...are there Native American gangs? Probably not...) so every race is capable of violence and such. Saying that one is more prone to it than another is ludicrous. People are juts people, and behavior is influenced by many things. And I think that just like violence, racism begets racism. So the more people are prejudiced, the more others will be prejudiced right back at them. But of course, no one ever learns...that's something every person has in common, whether it's about bigotry or other things.

theLeslie

*waves to everyone*  Hello.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents, and say I don't find the Boondocks to be racist in any typical sense.  I find it to be, if anything, Ironic over the position Africans find themselves in, in America.  The show is an obvious cry to the black comunity to change their ways.   The Boondocks recognises the racism that has been prevalent in this nation since our forfathers moved here.  The show is unafraid to self criticize for the sake of an education.  I actually enjoy the show quite a bit, and approve of it's message.  I find that, if anything, it pushes for change and recognition of the bad things that have happened to Africans, and the place they've been all but cornered into today.

Of course, I would also like to say that I feel no pity for the African race.  I feel pity for no one based on their ethnicity, because people are simply people.  We have all suffered.  We have all prevailed.  We are all human, and it is our humanity that should bind us.  The idea of race is as illusory as the concept of a national border.  It is a convention conceived by those who benefit from separation and paranoia.  Racism is a tool used to keep people squabbling with each other, instead of understanding what it is that actually oppresses every race.

In my opinion the Boondocks is far from the most racist show on television.  I prefer to think Fox News would take that title. 

Caity

*laughs*  You might be right about Fox News.  :p

Mathim

Wow, theLeslie, you said a mouthful. I hadn't thought about it like that, but you do have a good point. Imploring people to change their behavior might be their underlying intention, but I do feel that people should have the right to behave however they want, even if it's self-destructive (as long as it doesn't hurt others, of course.) Whatever makes them happy and satisfied, if they want to believe in being superior or in the inferiorities of others, that's their prerogative. Because like I'd been saying, no one can change how someone thinks, and it'll probably just make them angrier if you do try to change it.

But I do think it was kind of harsh saying you don't feel sorry for them. I mean, a lot of the African-American communities are in poor areas with substandard schools and statistically many of them haven't got the best parents as role models. I would think that coming from that background and would earn them some sympathy and understanding, at least. I mean, is it okay to believe all problems are caused by another race/ethnicity and blame them for everything? Of course not. And that's a pretty common attitude I run up against where I live, so it's difficult not to take some flak from people who misplace their anger and frustration. I understand why they feel that way, though, and it hurts me to know that I can't help them or enlighten them.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Mathim on August 14, 2008, 11:08:20 AM
But I do think it was kind of harsh saying you don't feel sorry for them. I mean, a lot of the African-American communities are in poor areas with substandard schools and statistically many of them haven't got the best parents as role models. I would think that coming from that background and would earn them some sympathy and understanding, at least. I mean, is it okay to believe all problems are caused by another race/ethnicity and blame them for everything? Of course not. And that's a pretty common attitude I run up against where I live, so it's difficult not to take some flak from people who misplace their anger and frustration. I understand why they feel that way, though, and it hurts me to know that I can't help them or enlighten them.

I don't feel sorry for them either.  I live in Helena-West Helena AR.  Look it up. . .  Substandard is too good for where I live.  I feel sorry for individuals regardless of ethnicity.  I don't feel sorry for the entire black population.  I have it harder than most of the black people in this area.  If you find yourself feeling sorry for an entire ethnicity then you need to stop and look around good and hard.  Yes, I'm sorry that they were taken into slavery and treated badly but let me put this into perspective for you.  Their own people sold them into slavery and they were brought to America from Africa (look up what goes on there and then think how lucky they are to be here now).  Yes they were slaves and treated poorly but they were generally taken care of.  They were given a roof, food, water, clothes. . .everything they needed.  Irish immigrants came to America and they were lucky if they had food for their families or a roof over their heads.  They were treated badly.  They may not have had clothes to cover their bodies.  These immigrants were WHITE!  Look at history and think really hard.  Do you know what's going on in Africa?  Think about that! 
Ons and Offs

theLeslie

You may have slightly misunderstood my words.  I grew up very poor, so I understand what is it like, somewhat, living in squallor.  Granted I didn't live in the 'ghetto' but it was in my back yard.  I say I do not pity them based on the fact that they are black.  For example, there are many black CEOs who have way more money than the entire city I live in put together.  Should we pity them?

I offer my compassion to any who would find comfort in it, but I don't do it because they're black.  I do it because I feel bad for the person.  White, asian, islander, it doesn't matter.  All people suffer the same, and all people need to be comforted.  Color has nothing to do with it.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: theLeslie on August 14, 2008, 11:21:23 AM
  You may have slightly misunderstood my words.  I grew up very poor, so I understand what is it like, somewhat, living in squallor.  Granted I didn't live in the 'ghetto' but it was in my back yard.  I say I do not pity them based on the fact that they are black.  For example, there are many black CEOs who have way more money than the entire city I live in put together.  Should we pity them?

I offer my compassion to any who would find comfort in it, but I don't do it because they're black.  I do it because I feel bad for the person.  White, asian, islander, it doesn't matter.  All people suffer the same, and all people need to be comforted.  Color has nothing to do with it.

*nods*
Ons and Offs

Mathim

I'm not saying I feel sorry for every single black person! Sheesh, I know tons of them who are doing better than me! I'm just saying, there are some who are victims of circumstance and the hatred I feel from them is understandable, so I have some compassion for them. I'd want people to feel the same way for me, in my impoverished situation. And I'm white, but it doesn't mean I don't want compassion. I mean, I know a woman who isn't that much older than my mother, and her parents were slaves in another country. She really had it rough and I definitely empathize with coming from that sort of background. At least be able to feel empathy for those who are in tough situations because of that kind of thing-yeah, it's not all of them, but that doesn't mean you should feel nothing for ANY of them.

The Overlord

Quote from: Mathim on August 12, 2008, 04:22:39 PM

I just had an amusing experience just a few minutes ago. Two older black gentlemen were using the computer next to me, and they said something about loving fried chicken. I smiled and turned to them and said, "Isn't that a stereotype?" They both laughed and then I said, "Well, name me one person who doesn't like fried chicken, right?"

Shit yeah...fried chicken FTW.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Mathim on August 14, 2008, 06:08:29 PM
I'm not saying I feel sorry for every single black person! Sheesh, I know tons of them who are doing better than me! I'm just saying, there are some who are victims of circumstance and the hatred I feel from them is understandable, so I have some compassion for them. I'd want people to feel the same way for me, in my impoverished situation. And I'm white, but it doesn't mean I don't want compassion. I mean, I know a woman who isn't that much older than my mother, and her parents were slaves in another country. She really had it rough and I definitely empathize with coming from that sort of background. At least be able to feel empathy for those who are in tough situations because of that kind of thing-yeah, it's not all of them, but that doesn't mean you should feel nothing for ANY of them.

Feeling empathy is my weak point.  I don't feel empathy very well because my friend, I've generally been in worse places than most of the people.  Homeless is not a fun place to be.  Niether is starving.  Or any of the other situations I've been in.  So I feel no empathy for people who don't deserve it.
Ons and Offs

Bliss

Empathy
A sense of shared experience, including emotional and physical feelings, with someone or something other than oneself. ...
associationsunlimited.com/free_resources/glossary/glossary_de.htm

Sympathy
- an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his ...
- sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow or anguish)
- a relation of affinity or harmony between people; whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other; "the two of them were in close sympathy"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

The Overlord

In my experience, doing better and merely looking better are distinctly different things. In the black community in the States, too many of them are about the bling; yeah they have a big house and drive a Beamer, but they don't put it into anything truly meaningful. Fuck, why save enough money to go back to college or put your kids through when you can buy some $1400 rims for the ride?

Of course, that's just the black take on it; lots of stupid white fuckers are out there...yeah you know who you are, passing me up in the fire-engine red SUV with enough onboard electronics and monitors to play backup for a police mobile command unit. Jawing away on their cells and going 90 in the fast lane. Most of them are barely hanging on; one small financial disaster away from listing a cardboard box as a mailing address. All in the name of the eternal quest to keep up with the Jones's.

A lot of people here look better, but that's it. Idiots.

theLeslie

Wow, stereotyping..

I'm sorry overlord, but what you just posted is horrible.

The Overlord

Quote from: theLeslie on August 14, 2008, 10:44:51 PM
Wow, stereotyping..

I'm sorry overlord, but what you just posted is horrible.

Not really, I only posted the truth, painful that it may be. We all know the people I am describing are actually out there. Comedy masters like George Carlin and Bill Cosby essentially have said the very thing, except I didn't offer it in a funny context.

For the record the stereotypes are sometimes based on fact, but I don't stereotype across the board, I only attack those that deserve it. If you’re not in this category don’t worry about it.

theLeslie

Please forgive me if this seems like nit-picking, but this line is what got me. 

"that's just the black take on it"  I know many many black people, and not a single one cares about rims.

The Overlord

Quote from: theLeslie on August 15, 2008, 12:44:29 AM
  Please forgive me if this seems like nit-picking, but this line is what got me. 

"that's just the black take on it"  I know many many black people, and not a single one cares about rims.

Nor do the ones I know personally, but I've surely come across some. Of course I've come across rednecks that are looking for a better shotgun rack for their truck, so don't think I'm picking on just one group.

The reality is that's not really about black or white, it's about dummies no matter where they're from. If adding color in any to the equation is offensive I shall omit.

Le RandomBloke

The simpsons obviously, not a single white person in that show! How racist!

"Give me all your true hate and I’ll translate it in our bed into never seen passion."

The Overlord

Quote from: RandomBloke on August 15, 2008, 01:21:20 AM
The simpsons obviously, not a single white person in that show! How racist!

Yeah....frickin' damn yellows!

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Bliss on August 14, 2008, 10:27:55 PM
Empathy
A sense of shared experience, including emotional and physical feelings, with someone or something other than oneself. ...
associationsunlimited.com/free_resources/glossary/glossary_de.htm

Sympathy
- an inclination to support or be loyal to or to agree with an opinion; "his sympathies were always with the underdog"; "I knew I could count on his ...
- sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow or anguish)
- a relation of affinity or harmony between people; whatever affects one correspondingly affects the other; "the two of them were in close sympathy"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I understand what they are but I don't empathize well.  When someone is in a situation similar to one I've been in and I think they act or acted stupidly I don't empathize. 

Quote from: The Overlord on August 14, 2008, 10:28:12 PM
In my experience, doing better and merely looking better are distinctly different things. In the black community in the States, too many of them are about the bling; yeah they have a big house and drive a Beamer, but they don't put it into anything truly meaningful. Fuck, why save enough money to go back to college or put your kids through when you can buy some $1400 rims for the ride?

Of course, that's just the black take on it; lots of stupid white fuckers are out there...yeah you know who you are, passing me up in the fire-engine red SUV with enough onboard electronics and monitors to play backup for a police mobile command unit. Jawing away on their cells and going 90 in the fast lane. Most of them are barely hanging on; one small financial disaster away from listing a cardboard box as a mailing address. All in the name of the eternal quest to keep up with the Jones's.

A lot of people here look better, but that's it. Idiots.

We like to make jokes around here that only in West Helena is there a piece of shit car with more money in rims than the car was ever close to being worth.  That's what the drug dealers around here drive and while not all of them are black, most of them are.

I also had a white friend who was obsessed with "Pimping" his car.  He had rims and lights and all sorts of expensive crap.

And I know the people you're talking about.  The white guys with the huge cars.  I've seen far too many of them lately.  My spoken response is always, damn they must really have money if they're putting gas in that thing!

Quote from: The Overlord on August 15, 2008, 01:23:10 AM

Yeah....frickin' damn yellows!

*nods*  Yellow!  *smirk*
Ons and Offs

Bliss

Trying to get this thread back onto it's proper topic...

I don't know how many of you folks have seen the movie Stand and Deliver, but there's one line in particular that has always stuck with me.

There are two kinds of racism, Mr Escalante. Judging a group because they are a minority, and not judging a group because they are a minority.

My question goes primarily to Mathim as the initial poster on this topic, though I'd like to hear from others as well - which kind is the definition you're operating under when talking about racism in tv shows?
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

The Overlord

As far as on topic goes, if it's past and present, All in the Family definitely wins. Archie Bunker is the most racist meatheat in television history.

Caity

All in the Family wouldn't even be allowed to be on TV today...

The Overlord

Quote from: Caity on August 15, 2008, 08:24:21 PM
All in the Family wouldn't even be allowed to be on TV today...

Very likely true. While the flipside is the American psyche has grown more diverse and tolerant, we've also become a nation of whiners and complainers. Remake this show as a movie and an easy dozen civil liberties groups will be breathing fire down your neck like a dragon.

Archie Bunker holds a certain place in TV history because he's a holdover of a dying area, something we're slowly overcoming but can't sanitize history by forgetting him. His time has come and gone, and there's no reason to have him reappear on the tube today or ever.

Trieste

I noticed with amusement when I was at DisneyWorld that there was not the remotest mention at all of Song of the South. Not a word, not a bar of the music, nothing.

The Overlord

Speaking of Disney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibK0SCpIkk&feature=related

Don't make me start surfing for Fritz the Cat clips.  :)

Kalen

Yeah, it's ironic that what is considered racist in one day and age was not in another.  WB has a few banned Bugs Bunny cartoons, for example.

Inkidu

The Boondocks is a great satire of Gangsta culture and the like. Seriously Watch the one titled "The Return of the King" and you'll see what I'm talking about. It was just genius.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Inkidu

Quote from: Kalen on August 18, 2008, 07:12:19 AM
Yeah, it's ironic that what is considered racist in one day and age was not in another.  WB has a few banned Bugs Bunny cartoons, for example.
I haven't seen a Loony Tunes cartoon in forever, I think they took them off for being too violent.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

The Overlord

Quote from: Inkidu on October 11, 2008, 10:32:07 PM
I haven't seen a Loony Tunes cartoon in forever, I think they took them off for being too violent.

Because the time-out soccer mom Nazis don't want their little angels watching Wile E. Coyote using TNT, lest they grow up to be terrorists...

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 12, 2008, 01:30:47 AM
Because the time-out soccer mom Nazis don't want their little angels watching Wile E. Coyote using TNT, lest they grow up to be terrorists...
Or grow up to be lawyers. Man Wile E. needs to sue Acme bad.

theLeslie

Coyotes are second class citizens.  They have no rights.

Inkidu

theLeslie

I'm not racist, I'm prejudice..  Meep Meep! *runs away right quick*

King_Furby

I really haven't ever seen much racisim on TV shows that much. I just laugh everytime a black comic uses the word "Cracker' thats not offensive at all to me. i think it's a blast to call my friends crackers in public, we all do. boy do some people give you looks. but man it's funny

The Overlord

Quote from: theLeslie on October 12, 2008, 04:48:44 PM
  I'm not racist, I'm prejudice..  Meep Meep! *runs away right quick*

I'm neither racist nor prejudiced...I leave everyone open to equal opportunity to have my disdain, if they go out of their way to earn it.  ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 12, 2008, 09:19:41 PM
I'm neither racist nor prejudiced...I leave everyone open to equal opportunity to have my disdain, if they go out of their way to earn it.  ;D
I do not discriminate on basis of race, color, creed, ideals, sex, gender, or beliefs. I dislike everyone equally?

theLeslie

I think everyone is at least a little racist.  It's bred into us like political oppinions from our parents, schools, and governments.  Noone escapes it.

Inkidu

Quote from: theLeslie on October 12, 2008, 09:42:14 PM
  I think everyone is at least a little racist.  It's bred into us like political oppinions from our parents, schools, and governments.  Noone escapes it.
There's a difference between biased and racist.

theLeslie

Well, I think, if Bias is based on race, it's racism.  I could be wrong, I'm not an etimologist.  If such is not the case, you very well might be right.

Cherri Tart

you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Inkidu

Quote from: Cherri Tart on October 12, 2008, 10:23:09 PM
FOX NEWS! prove me wrong! :D
News doesn't count if I can't use it in a school assignment to prove there is an obscene amount of murder shown on television. :D

The Overlord

Quote from: theLeslie on October 12, 2008, 09:42:14 PM

That's probably true, in analogy it's like that little red horned devil that sits on your shoulder in the cartoons and tells you to do a bunch of ill stuff.

Having racist ideas is one thing...what we do with them is another thing entirely. We either puss out and keep listening to him, or we brush the little mother fracker off our shoulder and we move forward. It's bred into the culture for sure, but we can beat it.

theLeslie

Indeed we can!  But we have to first recognise the devil to tell him to stfu!

Kalen

Quote from: theLeslie on October 12, 2008, 11:14:23 PM
  Indeed we can!  But we have to first recognise the devil to tell him to stfu!

*Hides his signature line, and slinks off*

Inkidu

Quote from: The Overlord on October 12, 2008, 11:03:55 PM
That's probably true, in analogy it's like that little red horned devil that sits on your shoulder in the cartoons and tells you to do a bunch of ill stuff.

Having racist ideas is one thing...what we do with them is another thing entirely. We either puss out and keep listening to him, or we brush the little mother fracker off our shoulder and we move forward. It's bred into the culture for sure, but we can beat it.
I don't know if you've ever seen that one Family Guy where Peter had the angel/devil metaphor and the angel whips out a pistol and blows the devil away then put the  gun to your head and tells you to do the right thing. That's my angel.