What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

The cries of a woman giving birth can sometimes prove louder (in decibel) than a rock concert in full swing, notes the Board for Workplace Health and Safety of Sweden (cited by the public radio afternoon news). Perhaps not louder than Metallica, but louder than the normal kind of level at a gig, I guess - and certainly more stressful!  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dashenka

So... Blatter resigned as president of FIFA...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32982449

Now, all of you join me in singing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEryAoLfnAA
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Scribbles

Quote from: Dashenka on June 02, 2015, 12:05:30 PM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Wow, never expected him to relinquish the tarnished crown to Fifa...

I take it this is because of the new evidence that has come to light, implicating his right hand?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Oniya

Don't see any word on his replacement yet - of course, I'm not entirely sure who all is left, either.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Scribbles

In my opinion, he shouldn't get a replacement, the entire organisation should be torn down and the world should try to erect a new football governing body in its place, one with less of an eye on profit and more of an adherence to fairness...

I also hope for it to rain chocolate and for hurricanes to be made of pure toffee!  ::)
AA and OO

Dashenka

Quote from: Scribbles on June 02, 2015, 12:13:38 PM

I take it this is because of the new evidence that has come to light, implicating his right hand?

Yeah I think the FBI's coming a bit too close to him in the investigation. We all know he's got some involvement in all the corruption.

As for his replacement. I doubt there will be a new election round as they say.

Democracies like Russia, Azerbaijan, Congo and Myanmar have elections. FIFA doesn't really fit into that list so it will probably be somebody he appoints himself. His son or something.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Scribbles on June 02, 2015, 12:24:11 PM
In my opinion, he shouldn't get a replacement, the entire organisation should be torn down and the world should try to erect a new football governing body in its place, one with less of an eye on profit and more of an adherence to fairness...

I also hope for it to rain chocolate and for hurricanes to be made of pure toffee!  ::)

Eh, just scrap the whole thing, it's a silly sport anyways. ;D :D

*Bald Eagle Screech*

Scribbles

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 02, 2015, 12:34:31 PM
Eh, just scrap the whole thing, it's a silly sport anyways. ;D :D

*Bald Eagle Screech*

Pfff, I say, pffffffffffffffff!

/witty
AA and OO

Ironwolf85

sure, I don't know how he'll be but better than Blatter... so... *starts signing prince ali with her*
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Scribbles on June 02, 2015, 12:13:38 PM

+3

Yes, most likely something has come up, some (as yet unpublished) big pile of incriminating crap that looked too hard to run away from. The man is a survival artist on his post, so he would not have walked away unless he really had to, especially not just a few days after having been re-elected.

Russia would likely be sitting safe as host nation of the 2018 Championships - it's too close to those games to run a new round of nominations, and it wasn't near as tarnished anyway - but Qatar '22 is in a whole different league and I figure their mandate to host the event is going to be contested more than ever. It's not just about the bribes and intrigues but about the idea of setting it in a country with minimal football tradition and a climate that poses serious challenges for the actual playing.

Blatter will stay on as FIFA chairman until an extra congress is held, to elect a new head, and that means something like six months more.

Also in the news: Greece is moving ever closer to state default and the positions of the EU top brass (Angela Merkel and others) and the Greek cabinet seem rather locked. Of course the Greek budget has been on suspended animation and printing money on EU/IMF loans for years, but it will be coming to a head in the next two weeks or so.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 02, 2015, 01:16:39 PM
the idea of setting it in a country with minimal football tradition and a climate that poses serious challenges for the actual playing.

Yeah, I kinda wondered about that one.  If it stands, I'm expecting that Vegas will allow for over/under bets on 'number of players sidelined by heatstroke.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Dashenka on June 02, 2015, 12:31:26 PM
Yeah I think the FBI's coming a bit too close to him in the investigation. We all know he's got some involvement in all the corruption.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Scribbles

Did you hear? Eating chocolate is a great way to lose weight!

Facts and Stuff

The story mostly just made me shake my head because this isn't the first time I've seen so many journalists pick up a false story and immediately print it, and it certainly won't be the last...

QuoteThe key, Bohannon stated, was to "exploit journalists' incredible laziness" — to write the press release so that reporters had the story laid out on a plate for them, as it were. As he later wrote, he "felt a queasy mixture of pride and disgust as our lure zinged out into the world". And a great many swallowed it whole.

I'm not so sure it's laziness as opposed to various media houses simply trying to beat each other to the punch, willing to risk reporting something that's not true rather than be the last to cover the story...
AA and OO

Dice

I am with you all the way and I do not even follow the sport that closely.

Edit:
For the love of god, FUCK:

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/ukraine-claims-pro-russian-rebels-have-broken-ceasefire-with-new-attack/story-fnh81p7g-1227382118411

(I do not even care who is at fault anymore, this shit needs to stop.)

Beorning

Because of Corpus Christi, we're having national holiday today back here (out of curiosity: is it a national holiday in other countries, too?).

During the celebrations, out Catholic bishop spoke up. One of them declared that the recent Ireland vote should serve as a warning to all of Europe. Another mentioned his hopes that the new president will veto the upcoming government bill for in-vitro fertilization. And one another warned against the "wicked ideology of genderism"...

Hm.

eBadger

Quote from: Beorning on June 04, 2015, 11:06:37 AM
Because of Corpus Christi, we're having national holiday today back here (out of curiosity: is it a national holiday in other countries, too?).

During the celebrations, out Catholic bishop spoke up. One of them declared that the recent Ireland vote should serve as a warning to all of Europe. Another mentioned his hopes that the new president will veto the upcoming government bill for in-vitro fertilization. And one another warned against the "wicked ideology of genderism"...

Hm.

How much does that reflect the general attitude, or is it just extremist conservatives saying stupid things to get attention?  In the US there's always somebody saying stuff like that, but it's not something the mainstream takes at all seriously (we just love to find a good villain that we can all hate together). 

And no, no Jesus body holiday here.  People would freak over something that overtly religious...we're still trying to hold Christmas together. 

Deamonbane

We have Corpus Christi as a national holiday here as well (Brazil).
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Beorning

Quote from: eBadger on June 04, 2015, 11:18:52 AM
How much does that reflect the general attitude, or is it just extremist conservatives saying stupid things to get attention?

Well, it's hard to say, really. But I'd say that the Catholic Church still has a lot of influence here - for example, the leaks from the parliament say that our current ruling party kept postponing their works on the promised civil unions bill, as they were literally afraid to make the bishops angry. Also, the people from Law & Justice, the party of the new president and, possibly, the party that will form the new government after the coming elections, are wholly in support of the condemnation of "genderism"...

An anecdote: during a New Year party (on 2014 or 2015 - I can't remember which year it was) at my cousin's place, my sister admitted to having post-graduate studies in gender theory in a conversation. The other guests almost lynched verbally for supporting something so "reprehensible"...

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 04, 2015, 11:25:12 AM
We have Corpus Christi as a national holiday here as well (Brazil).
Same here in Germany.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Zakharra

Corpus Christi isn't a national holiday in the US, but it is a city in Texas. Which is what I immediately thought of first when I saw Corpus Christi mentioned. :D

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Zakharra on June 04, 2015, 01:41:08 PM
Corpus Christi isn't a national holiday in the US, but it is a city in Texas. Which is what I immediately thought of first when I saw Corpus Christi mentioned. :D

I wish it was, id love an extra day off from class *burnt out from writing endless research papers*

Aethereal

I don't even know what Corpus Christi is (translations left aside), and there certainly wasn't anything celebrated over here.

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Dice on June 03, 2015, 09:40:13 AM
I am with you all the way and I do not even follow the sport that closely.

Edit:
For the love of god, FUCK:

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/ukraine-claims-pro-russian-rebels-have-broken-ceasefire-with-new-attack/story-fnh81p7g-1227382118411

(I do not even care who is at fault anymore, this shit needs to stop.)

sadly Vladimir ain't going to stop supporting them and sending troops and materal into ukrane as long as he thinks the rebels have a chance of breaking away and joining the russian federation, and the Ukrainians dispite being out manned and outgunned have sort of planted their feet and manned the barricades so to speak. This isn't going away any time soon.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Beorning

I just head an interesting tidbit on the news: apparently, two guys riding on the New York underground have been arrested for spreading their legs too much!

Have you guys heard about it?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on June 05, 2015, 10:22:39 AM
I just head an interesting tidbit on the news: apparently, two guys riding on the New York underground have been arrested for spreading their legs too much!

Have you guys heard about it?

Depends, were they wearing the appropriate clothing? Or walking around in a banana hammock?