The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 18, 2016, 10:19:38 PM
I think so.

It looks like the sequel to Man of Steel is apparently been greenlit. And, they've been teasing for Justice League Superman in the black and white costume.

Maybe we'll get to see the dark alternate future they're trying to avert, where in the end they use Flash to reverse time.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

The Justice League is probably picking up with Superman still being "dead" in the beginning. Not the first time a black and white costume has been used by Superman. The black suit is probably worn by a Clone or android duplicate? It's been mentioned in several mediums that Superman tended to have duplicate robots of himself who could act in his place. The Justice Lord Superman wore black and white? In the animated Doomsday movie, Superman wore a black and white suit while he was recovering in the healing tank in the Fortress of Solitude. They also mentioned that at some point in the Justice League movie, Superman will be sporting a more traditional, "colorful" suit and the trademark curl in his hair.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 19, 2016, 02:06:32 PM
The Justice League is probably picking up with Superman still being "dead" in the beginning. Not the first time a black and white costume has been used by Superman. The black suit is probably worn by a Clone or android duplicate? It's been mentioned in several mediums that Superman tended to have duplicate robots of himself who could act in his place. The Justice Lord Superman wore black and white? In the animated Doomsday movie, Superman wore a black and white suit while he was recovering in the healing tank in the Fortress of Solitude. They also mentioned that at some point in the Justice League movie, Superman will be sporting a more traditional, "colorful" suit and the trademark curl in his hair.

I think for a time in the comics (prior to the New 52) something happened to Superman where he became capable of absorbing energy and making himself non-corporeal like the Martian Manhunter so that bullets would just go through him instead of bouncing off him. I wonder if that will be alluded to at all in the movies.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lustful Bride

Wow...I wonder if Sony realizes how stupid their ideas are.

Spiderman into mudrunning? Snap Chat and Dubstep? -_-

They do realize he was supposed to be a nerd hero right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4sWLH3o2Gc

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2016, 10:26:18 AM
Wow...I wonder if Sony realizes how stupid their ideas are.

Spiderman into mudrunning? Snap Chat and Dubstep? -_-

They do realize he was supposed to be a nerd hero right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4sWLH3o2Gc

Well to be fair making him a kid does present challenges to portraying the character in the modern era.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on August 20, 2016, 01:25:00 PM
Well to be fair making him a kid does present challenges to portraying the character in the modern era.

Yeah but does it really? I know being a kid now is much different than when I was in highschool and such...only a few years ago :P 

But still it feels like they are going with what's trendy and itl age badly in a month.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2016, 01:30:50 PM
Yeah but does it really? I know being a kid now is much different than when I was in highschool and such...only a few years ago :P 

But still it feels like they are going with what's trendy and itl age badly in a month.

Compared to when he was first created, for instance. And I think you're right about that second part.

SapphireStar

The cast of Teen Wolf has been in high school for the past 6 seasons. I think I saw somewhere Tom Holland just turned 20. If they portray Spider-man in his senior year, it could work. Though, from what I'm hearing, adding more characters, I have to wonder if they have thought it through the about adding so many characters. They confirmed that Zendaya is playing Mary Jane Watson.

There has been so many different things done with Superman its hard to keep track. DC did a lot of stuff with their Elseworlds and parallel universes.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 20, 2016, 03:47:38 PM
The cast of Teen Wolf has been in high school for the past 6 seasons. I think I saw somewhere Tom Holland just turned 20. If they portray Spider-man in his senior year, it could work. Though, from what I'm hearing, adding more characters, I have to wonder if they have thought it through the about adding so many characters. They confirmed that Zendaya is playing Mary Jane Watson.

There has been so many different things done with Superman its hard to keep track. DC did a lot of stuff with their Elseworlds and parallel universes.

Well, Teen Wolf kind of needs to pretend they're teenagers or it doesn't exactly makes sense. With Spidey, it just puts restrictions on him that make less sense in terms of making a truly epic story without poking holes in it like how does he have so much free time with a strict school schedule, homework and curfew.

SapphireStar

Going back to the Sam Raimi movies, he got it right. Kicked the movie off with Peter being in his senior year then moving on to the college which made it a bit easier for Peter to engage in his webslinging heroics. How are they going to justify Iron Man being in the movie? Is the Spider-Man movie taking place before Captain America: Civil War? Or after events of Civil War? It would be kind of odd to have an origin story taking place after the character has already appeared in a movie prior to the release of Spider-Man's solo movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 20, 2016, 04:23:10 PM
Going back to the Sam Raimi movies, he got it right. Kicked the movie off with Peter being in his senior year then moving on to the college which made it a bit easier for Peter to engage in his webslinging heroics. How are they going to justify Iron Man being in the movie? Is the Spider-Man movie taking place before Captain America: Civil War? Or after events of Civil War? It would be kind of odd to have an origin story taking place after the character has already appeared in a movie prior to the release of Spider-Man's solo movie.

I think if they went more closely with the Ultimate Comics approach to Spider-Man, it would have been better as far as him being younger and being an aspiring, but restricted, Avenger. Both Iron Man and Thor are blown away by how 'amazing' he is, though Cap is a bit more reserved about letting him on the team, and not just because of his age. Just gives him more incentive to prove himself, but not be such a damn kid about it. Yes, he's supposed to be mouthy but there's a fine line between clever and annoying and he was definitely on the wrong side of it for much of his time in Civil War.

At least when he's an adult, his day job allows him to do his webslinging with no restrictions since he just has to stash his camera somewhere and set it on auto and then just get to work. That then allows him to do his thing day or night. With teenage Parker, it's not as likely he'll be operating during 'business hours' as it were, at least if school is in session and not during a summer vacation or something.

I am looking forward to seeing the evolution of his costume, though. What looks like pajamas or a kid's Halloween costume is, hopefully, going to become more sleek and yet not lose that thing with the eyes where, like Deadpool, you can actually see him narrowing them or widening them when glaring or surprised. I just don't know whether I want him to ever get the Iron Spider armor, it'll take away from what makes Spider-Man different from the rest of the group. Although I definitely want him to get the alien symbiote costume at some point during the Infinity War movies.

Lustful Bride

Speaking of the Symbiote..I kind of wouldn't mind seeing Agent Venom at some point.

Maybe Agent Venom vs. Frank Castle and then the two teaming up.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2016, 08:53:33 PM
Speaking of the Symbiote..I kind of wouldn't mind seeing Agent Venom at some point.

Maybe Agent Venom vs. Frank Castle and then the two teaming up.

Is there a version of Agent Venom that doesn't involve the Venom symbiote? I could swear that was just a codename Flash Thompson used, even without having any connection to the symbiote. But unless this is going to lead into the Sony-led Spider-Verse type of spinoff series, I wouldn't count on it. But then anything could happen, really.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on August 20, 2016, 08:56:57 PM
Is there a version of Agent Venom that doesn't involve the Venom symbiote? I could swear that was just a codename Flash Thompson used, even without having any connection to the symbiote. But unless this is going to lead into the Sony-led Spider-Verse type of spinoff series, I wouldn't count on it. But then anything could happen, really.

Meh I still like the thought :P

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2016, 09:01:35 PM
Meh I still like the thought :P

I understand. I do love him being on the team in Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors. I ship the hell out of Spidey and White Tiger.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on August 20, 2016, 09:15:11 PM
I understand. I do love him being on the team in Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors. I ship the hell out of Spidey and White Tiger.

*fistbumps for having the same ship*

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 20, 2016, 09:32:50 PM
*fistbumps for having the same ship*

And yet I can't find anyone for the life of me who'll RP it with me.

Inkidu

I think the problem with Spider-Man being a nerd hero in this day and ages is that nerds are widely accepted and embraced by society more so than they were in the 60s. I could probably make a joke about nerds for nerd roles and Big Bang Theory though.

So you have to look for other marginalized social groups, and that way leads to goth Spider-Man and no one wants to see that. I think that's why the Amazing Spider-Man movies tried to make him a general outsider (but suffers from not having any real reason for him to be ostracized).
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Inkidu on August 21, 2016, 08:11:32 AM
I think the problem with Spider-Man being a nerd hero in this day and ages is that nerds are widely accepted and embraced by society more so than they were in the 60s. I could probably make a joke about nerds for nerd roles and Big Bang Theory though.

So you have to look for other marginalized social groups, and that way leads to goth Spider-Man and no one wants to see that. I think that's why the Amazing Spider-Man movies tried to make him a general outsider (but suffers from not having any real reason for him to be ostracized).

I think its at the point where kids get ostracized just beacause. They single out one kid and just harass and bully them.

Mathim

Quote from: Lustful Bride on August 21, 2016, 09:00:21 AM
I think its at the point where kids get ostracized just beacause. They single out one kid and just harass and bully them.

Well they have him living in what looked like a fairly nice place with his aunt, yet he's so poor he can't even afford a computer and has to dumpster-dive? I mean, I can't speak for every state in the country, but aren't there organizations out there that make sure any student who needs a computer gets one? It just added an unnecessary complication to his backstory that makes no sense rather than adding anything substantial.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mathim on August 21, 2016, 06:13:46 PM
Well they have him living in what looked like a fairly nice place with his aunt, yet he's so poor he can't even afford a computer and has to dumpster-dive? I mean, I can't speak for every state in the country, but aren't there organizations out there that make sure any student who needs a computer gets one? It just added an unnecessary complication to his backstory that makes no sense rather than adding anything substantial.

*shrugs* :/

I don't know. I mostly got made fun of for because I was always abit grumpy and didn't like hanging out with anyone so. I cant much speak for Peter in a modern setting.

Mathim

Well he's definitely high-strung and nervous, though I wouldn't have pictured nerdy Peter Parker being like that, more of a morose, timid sort of vibe with lower energy. He hasn't had time to grow into letting his super persona bleed into his normal life. So we get to watch the awkward phase of his development instead of him already being the awesome Peter Parker from the best parts of the comics.

mia h

The Flash has added another speedster to it's cast of villains, Dr Edward Clariss aka The Rival who is actually the first of the Reverse Flashes being an opponent of Jay Garrick.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Mathim on August 21, 2016, 06:13:46 PM

Most organizations like this are dependent upon household income. If his aunt can afford even an okay-ish apartment in NYC, she likely brings in too much money to be able to buy him a computer, and it's very likely, since again it's in NYC, that they're barely making ends meet, so saving up to get him one isn't an easily achieved dream. I'm in a similar position IRL, and I live in MD. I make too much to get help from most programs, but I can barely keep food on the table and a roof over our heads.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Mathim

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on August 24, 2016, 02:15:54 PM
Most organizations like this are dependent upon household income. If his aunt can afford even an okay-ish apartment in NYC, she likely brings in too much money to be able to buy him a computer, and it's very likely, since again it's in NYC, that they're barely making ends meet, so saving up to get him one isn't an easily achieved dream. I'm in a similar position IRL, and I live in MD. I make too much to get help from most programs, but I can barely keep food on the table and a roof over our heads.

Shame on Tony Stark for giving money to the self-cooking hot dog guy instead of needy kids like Peter.