The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on July 15, 2016, 07:28:46 PM
Am I a bad person if I'm sure I don't like anything about the Suicide Squad movie? I mean, I'm not a big DC fan anyway. I like Batman, Flash and Cyborg, but that's about it.

I don't like Leto's Joker, and I don't like Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.

Given the DCEU's track record so far, I'd say it's completely justified. I'm not so hot on how they're portraying the Joker just from what I saw in the trailers (though for the record, I had the same reaction to Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight, although to be fair we literally saw NOTHING of how he'd actually be in the film with those), and that Harley Quinn is nothing like the one from animated series, which is the only one I'm familiar with.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on July 15, 2016, 04:11:26 PM
I was a little confused by what it meant by starting mid-season but I think I get it.

It's US TV scheduling. The fall season, when all of the big shows start their runs, begins in September\October with the show running for 23 episodes usually ending in June. Which is more than 23 weeks, but there are season breaks for Christmas, the Superbowl and what ever else is happening. So the middle of season is January\February, which is when the networks release another chunk of new shows, generally they have shorter runs and again end around June\July. Then is the final slot, of a summer release which is when the networks take out the trash and dump their garbage on air, because nobody watches TV in the summer.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 16, 2016, 06:14:12 AM
It's US TV scheduling. The fall season, when all of the big shows start their runs, begins in September\October with the show running for 23 episodes usually ending in June. Which is more than 23 weeks, but there are season breaks for Christmas, the Superbowl and what ever else is happening. So the middle of season is January\February, which is when the networks release another chunk of new shows, generally they have shorter runs and again end around June\July. Then is the final slot, of a summer release which is when the networks take out the trash and dump their garbage on air, because nobody watches TV in the summer.

I don't know if they ever do big '2 hour season finale' things that combine two weeks' worth into one, but I know ABC shows do that sometimes.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

The big 2 hour finales are pretty much a rarity on tv. The only one I can think of in the past few years which did a two hour movie style event was Smallville with the two hour JSA event and the Season 10 series finale. Most shows have roughly two week lulls between airing of newer episodes so that the can shoot the next batch of episodes. Networks have released some less then desirable shows during the main viewing fall to spring schedule which didn't last past a few episodes. The summer used to be for reruns, but networks, cable, etc have been releasing newer shows which have gone on for a few seasons.

Mathim

I'm really curious about the next Doctor Strange trailer. There's so much controversy with both the race and sex swap on the Ancient One, as well as the flip-flop on Mordo (which in fairness is even weirder since he's supposed to be European nobility) that while it probably won't hurt much, if it only performs about as well as Ant-Man, it might discourage risks for Marvel in the future despite many of their risks being big pay-offs. The Ant-Man initial trailer was pretty meh, but the second one blew my mind. I did feel similarly with this first Doctor Strange trailer, although not quite as bland as Ant-Man's, but it is essential for their next one to really knock our socks off to show that it can at least give the impression it will dazzle and astonish. The story is already so out there, and has the potential to significantly diverge from the comics, I'm worried it might be too much for some fans, and possibly even too 'strange' for general audiences. I hope I'm wrong but with how badly BvS failed, I can't help but feel like Marvel might trip up on something and that this could be the one.

Inkidu

Quote from: Mathim on July 15, 2016, 09:36:54 PM
Given the DCEU's track record so far, I'd say it's completely justified. I'm not so hot on how they're portraying the Joker just from what I saw in the trailers (though for the record, I had the same reaction to Ledger's Joker in The Dark Knight, although to be fair we literally saw NOTHING of how he'd actually be in the film with those), and that Harley Quinn is nothing like the one from animated series, which is the only one I'm familiar with.
Well that's the version any movie Harley Quinn should be like because she started as an original for the Animated Series and immigrated to the comics.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Mathim

Quote from: Inkidu on July 20, 2016, 07:16:12 AM
Well that's the version any movie Harley Quinn should be like because she started as an original for the Animated Series and immigrated to the comics.

I've known that for a long time but I doubt the average moviegoer does. Even Margot Robbie has said she doesn't like some of how they've sexualized the character (to be fair, there were a few episodes that I'm surprised made it onto kids' TV during the animates series' run with her being extremely pushy about the Joker giving her some lovin'.)

Inkidu

Yeah, the funny thing is there have only been two people that Animated Series Harley was really more than just flirty with and those are Puddin' himself, Mistah J and Ivy.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

SapphireStar

Interestingly, Harley shows up in the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker bailing her two granddaughters Dee Dee out of jail. It is implied she gave up a life of crime.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 21, 2016, 10:23:25 PM
Interestingly, Harley shows up in the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker bailing her two granddaughters Dee Dee out of jail. It is implied she gave up a life of crime.

I'm wondering who she had kids with, and how many to make grandkids (if they're not the only ones, but just the only ones we see), and also why they turned out like she did.

SapphireStar

Dee Dee was portrayed as a teenager, it could be assumed that they were rebellious, had a thing with authority, etc. From what Harley said while bailing them out, it could be implied that she raised them by herself. Saying how much she sacrificed to keep them out of trouble, etc. So, its kind of implied she didn't want them to get into that life. With not a whole lot of backstory about Harley, it was assumed that Harley had died when she fell during the fight with Batman and the Joker. Maybe the only person who would know for sure would be Bruce Timm who created the animated series and the character.

Mathim

Well she survived a similar fall before, in the episode Mad Love, so it's not surprising.

SapphireStar

The Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker plot implied that she died as she fell into an abyss just before the Joker was killed by electrocution by Tim Drake/Robin. Which was a first for an animated movie at the time of its release.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 22, 2016, 09:51:44 AM
The Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker plot implied that she died as she fell into an abyss just before the Joker was killed by electrocution by Tim Drake/Robin. Which was a first for an animated movie at the time of its release.

Yeah, but the DC Animated Universe has never been that afraid of showing characters dying. Darkseid vaporized Dan Turpin in Superman: TAS, and a dirty cop was executed in the gas chamber, ironically moments after realizing Clark Kent is actually Superman. Aquaman's brother Orm was killed during their struggle, and Solomon Grundy died...twice. Plus I think Lex Luthor threw Gorilla Grodd into outer space so there's no way he survived that. And he might have killed Tala to try and bring back Brainiac but instead revived Darkseid who was killed earlier. Lotsa animated death there.

SapphireStar

When the Justice League cartoon aired on Cartoon Network, the state of animated shows had changed they could get away with certain things. Batman: TAS, Superman and Batman Beyond aired on regular network tv which was subject to certain rules. Batman: Animated series aired in the early 90s, same with X-men, from what I recall, neither show showed anyone being killed. Which was why had lots of characters parachuting out of exploding FANG helicopters in G.I.Joe, etc.

Though Cartoon network would often show two versions of certain shows usually anime ones. The censored ones earlier in the day, uncut during the Toonami midnight run. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is an animated movie set after the show, though they brought back Ghoul, Dee Dee, etc for the two part episode Once and Future King featuring Cronos.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 22, 2016, 11:23:10 PM
When the Justice League cartoon aired on Cartoon Network, the state of animated shows had changed they could get away with certain things. Batman: TAS, Superman and Batman Beyond aired on regular network tv which was subject to certain rules. Batman: Animated series aired in the early 90s, same with X-men, from what I recall, neither show showed anyone being killed. Which was why had lots of characters parachuting out of exploding FANG helicopters in G.I.Joe, etc.

Though Cartoon network would often show two versions of certain shows usually anime ones. The censored ones earlier in the day, uncut during the Toonami midnight run. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is an animated movie set after the show, though they brought back Ghoul, Dee Dee, etc for the two part episode Once and Future King featuring Cronos.

They also did that Epilogue episode at the end of JLU season 1 where it showed that Terry McGinnis was actually biologically the son of Bruce Wayne due to genetic tampering, showing Terry being even older than we ever saw him elsewhere. And that time-travel episode was called the Once and Future THING. One thing I never quite understood was, why was the Justice League so sparse in the future? Like, what killed everybody or made them quit? Doesn't seem like it would be possible for everyone to just drop out and yet Superman is still there.

RubySlippers

I'm having a Nerdgasm! The Wonder Woman Trailer is out ... screw Marvel ... DC is better.

[url][https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA9W0flbZeQ/url]

Mathim

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 23, 2016, 04:07:25 PM
I'm having a Nerdgasm! The Wonder Woman Trailer is out ... screw Marvel ... DC is better.

I'm sorry to disagree (actually I'm not) but that doesn't really look any more impressive than, say, the Captain America movie that was also a wartime period piece. I'm not sure how much the second trailer will differ but it's not giving off a terribly different vibe than The First Avenger, what with how prominent her shield is, you know? Maybe if we got a glimpse of who or what her biggest adversary is, that would be something, but it's just a bit too familiar. I guess that comes with the territory of doing something years after something else has already started.

TheGlyphstone

It felt a lot like Captain America: TFA to me too, actually. But since I liked that movie, this wasn't a drawback.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on July 23, 2016, 06:40:59 PM
It felt a lot like Captain America: TFA to me too, actually. But since I liked that movie, this wasn't a drawback.

Exactly, that doesn't mean it won't be a good film in its own right, but I want something a little more fresh, since something like The Force Awakens felt to me like it was basically 2/3 the same story as A New Hope. It's enjoyable enough but it's all stuff we've seen/heard before. At least they still have time to release more trailers and hopefully alleviate some of that concern that they didn't put enough effort into trying to be something new.

Beorning

The Wonder Woman trailer is... interesting. I'm surprised that they are setting this thing during WW1. Wouldn't WW2 be more obvious?

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. The best part about the trailer? Etta Candy :)

BTW. A sort-of trailer for Justice League is out, too, as is a new trailer for Doctor Strange.

mia h

Quote from: Beorning on July 24, 2016, 09:43:48 AM
BTW. A sort-of trailer for Justice League is out, too, as is a new trailer for Doctor Strange.
You mean this?  ;D
https://youtu.be/gglkYMGRYlE

SapphireStar

Updates regarding several tv shows.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Will be adding Ghost Rider to the show played by Gabriel Luna. The Ghost Rider who will appear will be Carlos Reyes.

CW Superhero shows: Katie Cassidy is returning as series regular across all shows. On the villian front, it has been announced that Captain Cold, Malcolm Merlyn, Reverse-Flash, and Damien Darhk will band together to create the Legion of Doom.

Legends of Tomorrow: Announced that several new characters will appear. Stargirl, Dr. Midnite and Obsidian. Also, Jonah Hex will return.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 24, 2016, 01:15:30 PM
CW Superhero shows: Katie Cassidy is returning as series regular across all shows. On the villian front, it has been announced that Captain Cold, Malcolm Merlyn, Reverse-Flash, and Damien Darhk will band together to create the Legion of Doom.

Legends of Tomorrow: Announced that several new characters will appear. Stargirl, Dr. Midnite and Obsidian. Also, Jonah Hex will return.
Ragman is set to turn up in episode 2 of Arrow, which could be an interesting addition if they use the Suit of Souls. And Oliver is finally going to Russia so more David Nykl acting like a lunatic  ;D

The trailer of Legends looked interesting, mostly because of the new logo\splash sequence. They've added in Hourman's logo, which is hardly news, but there is also a star logo so I'm guessing either Jonah or Stargirl join the team full time.