The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 07, 2016, 09:20:03 PM
I saw another article which states that there are at least three other actors along side Colin Farrell making an appearance in Justice League. All of their characters are being kept under wraps. One speculated that Colin Farrell might be playing John Constantine as it seemed to be being hinted and he was at one linked to play the character in Guillermo Del Toro's Justice League Dark.  The other actors joining the cast are:

Charles Dance
Julian Lewis Stone
Michiel Huisman (Game of Thrones)

Never heard of any of those three.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on July 08, 2016, 08:49:00 AM
Never heard of any of those three.
The last two I understand but this guy??? Seriously?

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

Since they seem to be going with characters who work for Darkcide they might be characters like DeSaade, etc. Charles Dance could possibly be playing High Father? Though I find it interesting they haven't cast Granny Goodness and her Furies. They were top warriors for Darkcide.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 08, 2016, 09:47:03 AM
The last two I understand but this guy??? Seriously?

Him, the least of all. I don't recognize the name, nor the face.

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 08, 2016, 01:34:43 PM
Since they seem to be going with characters who work for Darkcide they might be characters like DeSaade, etc. Charles Dance could possibly be playing High Father? Though I find it interesting they haven't cast Granny Goodness and her Furies. They were top warriors for Darkcide.

Those would have been perfect as villainesses for Wonder Woman.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) has been bumped to series regular across all CW/DC shows.

The Furies and Granny Goodness were I think mostly tied to Superman and Supergirl comics. Though they did face off against the Justice League when they did major story arcs. Wonder Woman will probably have mostly some of the Greek Gods, like Ares appear. Cheetah was major Wonder Woman villain.

greenknight

When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Mathim

Quote from: greenknight on July 08, 2016, 04:17:55 PM
Psssst. Darkseid. Darkcide. Dark-Cide. DarkCide.

You don't recognize Tywin Lannister?

And, potentially, Steppenwolf?

I've only ever seen the Honest Trailers of Game of Thrones, so no. And if he was Steppenwolf, that picture of him would absolutely make me not want to see JL (not that I'm exactly jazzed for it as it is) if he's going to be the most prominent villain, at least not after seeing what the animated Superman and Justice League series have portrayed him to be like.

mia h

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 08, 2016, 04:05:30 PM
John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) has been bumped to series regular across all CW/DC shows.
Looks like they've given him the same type of deal as Wentworth Miller, so the character of Malcolm Merlyn is available to all the shows if needed.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 09, 2016, 03:39:22 AM
Looks like they've given him the same type of deal as Wentworth Miller, so the character of Malcolm Merlyn is available to all the shows if needed.

That makes sense. The might want to do that with more of the villains, a lot of them were either interesting, or their powers interesting enough to be  a threat to more than just Flash.

mia h

I suppose it's turning the TV shows into "comic books", the heroes are fixed in their own titles\shows while the villains get to appear in any title. Also why wouldn't they do a deal with Barrowman and Miller to keep them involved with the shows?

SapphireStar

Depends on the villains the tv shows want to use. Pretty much any which might appear in the movies are off limits and have been killed off or otherwise rendered unusable in the tv shows (Deadshot, Deathstroke, Captain Boomerang, etc). Quite a few villains have crossed over to other comic book titles, plus the same villains have fought the same heroes in the Justice League titles due to the villains being involved in various organizations like the Injustice League, etc.

Plus, with the Flashpoint story arc coming up, everyone is pretty much crossing over. And, Snart is the hero/mayor in the Flashpoint story. Though it will be interesting to see how they work the Aquaman/Wonder Woman plot out of the story.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 09, 2016, 02:46:19 PM
Depends on the villains the tv shows want to use. Pretty much any which might appear in the movies are off limits and have been killed off or otherwise rendered unusable in the tv shows (Deadshot, Deathstroke, Captain Boomerang, etc). Quite a few villains have crossed over to other comic book titles, plus the same villains have fought the same heroes in the Justice League titles due to the villains being involved in various organizations like the Injustice League, etc.

Plus, with the Flashpoint story arc coming up, everyone is pretty much crossing over. And, Snart is the hero/mayor in the Flashpoint story. Though it will be interesting to see how they work the Aquaman/Wonder Woman plot out of the story.

Whoa, more off-limits characters being used in the TV shows? Now I really, really want to see Green Lantern get in there.

SapphireStar

At the rate things are going, there will be a lot of "off-limits" characters with how many they are packing into the DC movies. Having the Green Lantern appear in any of the CW shows is probably up in the air depending on what the movie studio does.

There is a new report out that one of the people attached to do the Channing Tatum "Gambit" movie stated that filming for the movie "Might" start in the spring of 2017. They stated that they have a really "great" script. With all the delays and schedule juggling, not sure if this movie is actually happening. They're going ahead with the New Mutants movie, X-Force in the works, and Deadpool 2 is already in the works. Plus, some of the actors from the X-Men movies have renewed contracts, so there will be new X-men movies coming.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 09, 2016, 07:46:12 PM
At the rate things are going, there will be a lot of "off-limits" characters with how many they are packing into the DC movies. Having the Green Lantern appear in any of the CW shows is probably up in the air depending on what the movie studio does.

There is a new report out that one of the people attached to do the Channing Tatum "Gambit" movie stated that filming for the movie "Might" start in the spring of 2017. They stated that they have a really "great" script. With all the delays and schedule juggling, not sure if this movie is actually happening. They're going ahead with the New Mutants movie, X-Force in the works, and Deadpool 2 is already in the works. Plus, some of the actors from the X-Men movies have renewed contracts, so there will be new X-men movies coming.

Unless Gambit is going to start being a major presence in the actual main films, I really don't see a point of doing the solo film. It was really disappointing not even seeing a hint of him in Apocalypse (and Jubilee being totally wasted and pointless). Deadpool's nature, however, is contrary so he works best in his own films. Maybe a cameo in a Wolverine movie. Unless Wolverine appears in one of Deadpool's. Just as long as they interact at some point.

SapphireStar

Well, it looks like Fox and Bryan Singer have inked a deal with Marvel Television. Mutants are coming to the MCU. Bryan Singer and Matt Nix, creator/producer of Burn Notice, with Marvel Television are bringing mutants/X-men to tv in a new series about two normal parents who find out that their children have superpowers. On the run, they join an underground network of mutants.

It looks like this opens the door to bring the X-Men, Deadpool, etc into the MCU.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 12, 2016, 06:24:47 PM
Well, it looks like Fox and Bryan Singer have inked a deal with Marvel Television. Mutants are coming to the MCU. Bryan Singer and Matt Nix, creator/producer of Burn Notice, with Marvel Television are bringing mutants/X-men to tv in a new series about two normal parents who find out that their children have superpowers. On the run, they join an underground network of mutants.

It looks like this opens the door to bring the X-Men, Deadpool, etc into the MCU.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. It's already bad enough they're shoehorning in Spider-Boy at this late stage. Maybe if they reverse time at the end of Infinity War and reboot everything, we can believe that because some events will happen differently along a new timeline, there are both mutants and Inhumans, but just as it is now? It's not feasible to just make mutants start popping up, in contrast to Inhumans.

SapphireStar

It has been confirmed that Wally West, Iris's brother will be donning the Flash suit in Season 3.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 14, 2016, 02:00:40 PM
It has been confirmed that Wally West, Iris's brother will be donning the Flash suit in Season 3.

So that makes him Barry's brother-in-law? I thought they were uncle and nephew? At least, that's how it was on Young Justice. I just hope to meet Bart Allen, Impulse was my favorite speedster in the comics.

SapphireStar

In the CW show, with season 2, Joe's ex-wife shows up with Wally in tow. Wally turns out is Iris's brother. As things are, Barry and Iris aren't technically together. And with recent "events" of season 2, not sure where that leaves things. Also, Jessie Quick was introduced as well as Earth-2's Harrison Wells' daughter. Its been hinted that she might be acquiring her own Speed powers.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 14, 2016, 05:36:55 PM
In the CW show, with season 2, Joe's ex-wife shows up with Wally in tow. Wally turns out is Iris's brother. As things are, Barry and Iris aren't technically together. And with recent "events" of season 2, not sure where that leaves things. Also, Jessie Quick was introduced as well as Earth-2's Harrison Wells' daughter. Its been hinted that she might be acquiring her own Speed powers.

Well, I suppose it's inevitable they'll change familial relationships, age gaps and such in different continuities. Is Legends of Tomorrow still around or was it too expensive for them to renew?

SapphireStar

Legends of Tomorrow has been renewed for a second season.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on July 14, 2016, 09:00:31 PM
Legends of Tomorrow has been renewed for a second season.

But they're not as long as the Flash or Arrow's seasons, right? Like the Defenders series is going to be 8 episodes instead of 13 like the other Netflix Marvel stuff, or something.

Speaking of which, they might be picking up the pace with the Netflix shows and making 3 per year now instead of 2, kind of like the movies are now going to be 3 per year in the MCU. Initially it was Daredevil/Jessica Jones, then Daredevil season 2/Luke Cage, and next year it could very well be Iron Fist/Defenders/Unnamed third series before the end of the year.

mia h

Quote from: Mathim on July 15, 2016, 07:56:02 AM
But they're not as long as the Flash or Arrow's seasons, right?
Legends was only 16 episodes long for season one, but it started mid-season. Season two starts in October so I'm guessing it'll be the full 23 episodes.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on July 15, 2016, 12:01:08 PM
Legends was only 16 episodes long for season one, but it started mid-season. Season two starts in October so I'm guessing it'll be the full 23 episodes.

I was a little confused by what it meant by starting mid-season but I think I get it. At least now that they know it's being received well enough, it deserves a more robust continuation. I just hope it doesn't feel like they're stretching a story that doesn't have enough depth to cover a whole season like seasons 2 and 3 of Arrow.

Inkidu

Am I a bad person if I'm sure I don't like anything about the Suicide Squad movie? I mean, I'm not a big DC fan anyway. I like Batman, Flash and Cyborg, but that's about it.

I don't like Leto's Joker, and I don't like Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.