Medical Terms - Resolved.

Started by Jag, July 17, 2010, 08:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Okay, not sure if anyone can help me with this since it's more of an audio issue, but I'm trying to do a transcription for my course and the person that did this audio was obviously trying to make it difficult to understand as many MTs have to listen to dictations by doctors that don't speak the same language as a first language or have to listen to people with thick accents...But for the life of me, I CANNOT get this word.

The transcription thus far is this:

"Mr. (name ommited)'s hospital course was characterized by a progressively downhill course. He was initially hospitalized and found to be mildly hypoxemic, which rapidly corrected with supplemental low flow oxygen therapy. However, he gradually became more oxygen dependent on high flow oxygen. Eventually, requiring intubation with mechanical ventilation in order to maintain his oxygenation. He underwent an open lung biopsy and attempt to delineate the idiopathic of his pulmonary situation. In this was reported as idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and..."

The word after 'idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and...' is where I'm stuck. This is what it sounds like:

's/l eltholidis'

Unfortunately, due to course privacy and blah, blah, blah...I can't put the audio file up for people to listen to. I've had everyone in my house listen to it and they can't figure it out either. I've scanned all my course material to find anything that sounds like that and my medical dictionary, but still nothing looks right.

If anyone has any knowledge of medical terms and can think of something that sounds like that, please, please help.

~Michi
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

Could it be alveolitis? (inflammation of the alveoli)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Dark Raven

bronchiectasis, possibly

(this is an artifact of IPF--"honeycombing")

It's the only thing I can think of without looking at the slides myself. :(

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Jag

*loves on Oniya*

That's it!

Thank you so much.

*loves on Daylily too for offering help*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Oniya

I tried doing an MT course myself once, but somehow made 'too many mistakes' on the final, despite using their pre-formatted files.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17