Dark and Gritty Super Hero Game (NC/EX)

Started by Valkyr, September 23, 2008, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkyr

I am looking for players to write in a Dark and Gritty super hero setting, which would be heavily inspired by Image/Topcow comics.  Where the “heroes” are just a little less corrupt then the villains.  Where its far more likely you’ve gained your special abilities thanks to a pact with a devil in your family history, or by acquiring an artifact with a taste for violence that was destined to be wielded by your hands.

I would like players to help craft the story, where essentially everyone involved has some story teller privileges. 

I’m thinking of using a fictional US city, that would draw inspiration from Detroit and New York.  Where the sounds of sirens are the background noise of everyday life, and your average citizen has no problem stepping over a corpse on their way to work, or to get public transportation The people in power are not politicians, but crime bosses and corrupt corporate executives, who dangle money over the heads of the government.

While crime is a major problem in the city, fouler things crawl in the dark alleyways or lounge in chairs on the top floor of skyscrapers.  .  These creatures are imbued with a spark of dark power, and the urge to use it for the own personal gain, whether it is something as simple as filling their stomachs with flesh, or perhaps for those with vision and a healthy dose of megalomania they desire world domination.

So is anyone game?  I haven’t decided if I’ll use a system or not.
Ons and Offs

This was never my world, you took the Angel away....

Transgirlenstein

If this either uses Savage Worlds, Marvel Universe or no system at all then I would be interested. :)
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Valkyr

Never even heard of the savage rules system.  I think I might have the marvel system somewhere in my closet though...

Might go freeform if the majority of players are comfortable with it.

Thank you very much for showing some interest.
Ons and Offs

LordAnubis

I'm intrested, I usually like playing darker heroes or more guys just opposed to the current Villians.

Dave

I'm definitely interested, though I think freeform would work the best.

Atlus

I've been considering running a dark supers game, but I think what I really wanted to do was play in one. Count me in if there's still room. Have you heard of a free system called Powers Brawl? It looks pretty good for a low to mid power level game.
How profound such profanity can be.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

Valkyr

Alright,  it looks like I've got decent player base... 

I haven't heard of it no, do you have a link Atlus?
Ons and Offs

Caustic

I might be interested, though I'd rather just write than even consider learning a new system.

Anything in particular you're considering as far as setting, group dynamics, etc?  Period or contemporary?

Have had a few ideas, mostly low-level stuff... Watchmenesque.  Just curious.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Iofiel

I'd be happy to play. :D

Any system works, if you explain it/give some details. I'm also fine systemless; freeform is easier to handle, and less dice means faster play.

Valkyr

Well,  I wouldn't mind free form if that's the general consensus.

I was planning a contemporary setting,  as for group dynamics I think I would leave that up to players though I wouldn't want to deal with obviously antagonistic relationship between PC's,  a bit of group conflict is fine but, there is a point where team aggression just bogs down and destroys the game.  So, a similar goal would be necessary...  and that's something I'd like to work out between players. 

I'm sorry if I'm being a bit vague.

As for power level,  I'm not looking for superman/spawn.  Think of Sin City,  add some superpowers,  I don't want character's who can take on whole armies,  I just want something that sets them above the rest of the city's populace.
Ons and Offs

Valkyr

Alright,  I think I've reached my limit on players...  so, unless someone steps down.  I'm through with recruiting.
Ons and Offs

WyzardWhately

Well, snap.  I just wandered in, and I"m very interested.  I'll keep watching the thread, but if anyone falls off or loses interest, please let me know.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Atlus

Here's the link: http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/powers-brawl-rpg
I haven't tried it, but it sounds simple enough. I'm fine with freeform though, if that's the consensus.

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=16848.0" target="_blank">Ons and Offs</a>

Caustic

So, anyone thought about concept?

I'm thinking on a couple general concepts... hard part's defining a 'power', because that would clearly help shape who the character's developed into but that's not the approach I generally take with character concept.  Ideally, as stated, we'll need to coexist, so the extremist concepts are out-- and bear in mind, if you're making a vigilante, what's to stop him/her from perceiving the other 'supers' as 'friendlies'?

Anyhow... concept 1: eccentric gadgeteer with a pension for antiquity, especially clocks, penny-arcade machines, and their ilk.  Mechanical genius, highly methodical, slightly homicidal.  Ups: might generate plot, because one trap/scenario can involve a LOT of characters.  Downs: might require too much OOC knowledge.  How I'd like to play this character: something between Jigsaw, Batman, and Stauf.

Concept 2: Wealthy Jekyll/Hyde case... raised in the organized-crime underworld, family cast out, many executions/punishments, barely escaped a nasty, unapproved turf war-- ties to underground cults, wealthy secret societies enabled him to reach fringes of some illuminati secrets, forge a pact with a low-level incubus.  Ups: Cool settings, demonic influence, dark violent and sexual aspects.  Constant struggle between his own conscience and demon's destructive desires-- as well as his OWN destructive desires vs. the demon's desire to not get caught.  How I'd like to play this character: Dexter Morgan meets Dorian Grey.

Feedback, ideas?  Anything?
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

Videospirit

This might interest me... are you free forming or using a system though?

Valkyr

Concept two fits my idea for the setting a bit more then the first,  I really like it.

I've decided to go the Free Form route,  but,  I'm really at the point where I can't take on anymore players.  If people decide to drop,  I'll have another slot open.

Also,  just so I know who all is still interested... how about a role call here?
Ons and Offs

Iofiel

Quote from: Valkyr on September 25, 2008, 10:57:48 PM
Concept two fits my idea for the setting a bit more then the first,  I really like it.

I've decided to go the Free Form route,  but,  I'm really at the point where I can't take on anymore players.  If people decide to drop,  I'll have another slot open.

Also,  just so I know who all is still interested... how about a role call here?

Still interested. :D

Caustic

Still interested.  People might want to start sharing concept ideas, though-- if not with everyone, then at least with Valkyr-- procrastination at this stage usually leads to 'fizzling out'.

Atlus

Valkyr

Alright,  if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me,  I would like to see some character's besides Caustics in the near future, at least summaries of them.
Ons and Offs

WyzardWhately

I'm still interested, although I guess unless someone else drops I'm still an alternate.  :D

I have two concepts.

#1: The Loser.  Haven't decided what his nom de guerre would actually be.  This guy is a generally physically enhanced specimen.  He's been a second-string masked vigilante in a variety of cities over the past ten years or so.  His problem is that "the game" as he calls it is like a drug to him.  He can't stay out.  He continually has gone through a process of throwing out all of his costumes and stuff "for the last time," moving, finding a new job and a new life.  And he'll be good for a while, but eventually he'll see the odd newspaper article, or hear something in a bar, and then it's back in his head again.  Like a monkey on his back, he just can't stop himself from going out and trying to get a piece of the action himself.  Before he knows it, he's getting sucked back in again, with the masks and the money and the desperate rooftop battles and picking gravel out of your knuckles the next day, calling in sick to work more and more until you get fired, spending that last check on night vision goggles and the caffeine you need to stay awake...But the rush is always worth it.  It's always just as good as the first time.  He's also driven by this gambling-addict style belief that his luck's going to change, that just around the next alleyway he's going to hit that "big score" of saving the city or whatever, and then he'll be famous, the best hero ever...

#2:  Hellhound.  He can see the sin on other people.  The bad things carried in a person's soul show up in their aura whenever he looks at them.  This makes it fairly difficult for him to get along in a corrupt world, because of how easy it is for his anger to overtake him when meeting people (seemingly for no reason whatsoever.  How do you tell someone you just randomly punched that guy because he date-raped his girlfriend ten years ago?)  It's also complicated by the fact that he can't use it on himself, so he is constantly morally unsure.  His major power is changing into an alternative form, demonic in appearance and generally kind of a badass.  This transformation can happen at will, or involuntarily if he gets angry enough.  He also exhibits markedly less self-control in that form, in a variety of respects.  He's an inescapable avenger of the night kind of hero.  Comes out in the dark, then tracks down and punishes evil men.

For reference, I'd rather use some kind of system, although I'm not incredibly picky about what.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Atlus

I thought I got left behind on this one. Apparently not. Ok I've got a couple concepts. Tell me which is more fitting for this story.

Cage- Cage is a walking, talking, nuclear meltdown. His body is a man shaped mass of yellow energy. This energy can be shot at enemies, detonated in a massive explosion, or simply allowed to leak all over the place. To prevent him from killing or poisoning everything in a three block radius, Cage is equipped with an armored suit. The suit is completely sealed, allowing Cage to move about densely populated areas without endangering lives. A valve on each hand allows him to shoot energy in a stream lined direction. Cage is not a superhero, he is a soldier. Whether or not his handlers are actually government agents, the military, or some other form of organization, I'll leave to the GM. Cage has been in service to his handlers since his powers manifested at the age of five. As long as Cage follows his orders, he is free to do as he pleases (as long as it's not to high profile). Cage has spent most of his life inside a suit, never being able to truly interact with the world around him. As a result he is very disconnected from the people he is charged with defending.

Bum (not his actual alias)- Powers: Increased senses, enhanced endurance, speed, and strength. Vinnie was raised in an orphanage for the first half of his childhood, before moving on to various shelters and allies after the orphanage got shut down. Vinnie had always been a little stronger then others his age, but he never thought much of it until he punched through his first brick wall. Despite his strength, Vinnie has no desire to use his power for ill gain. Instead he looks out for those who have no one else to look out for them. Where other heros turn a blind eye, Vinnie makes his home. He wears no costume and does not consider himself a "hero". Vinnie is just a guy, who does what he can, where he can.

(I know I said two, but here's a third) Dark- His hair is blown upward by an unseen wind. His eyes are twin pits of empty black space. He smiles when he kills, all while wearing a tailored suit. He is Dark. His name and origin are unknown. All that can be said for certain is that he is killing criminals, he is deadly, and he has no remorse.
Powers: Super senses, enhanced agility, speed, and endurance. Dark space- Dark can produce from his jacket any weapon which could have conceivably been concealed inside of it. He also never seems to run out of ammo.

Caustic

Valkyr

Truthfully,  I thought people lost interest in this particular idea.  So,  I forgot all about it myself...  *Shrug*  So,  I'm going to scrap it maybe try something similar in a month or two.
Ons and Offs

mdazfrench

Let me know when you resurrect it sweetie.  I'd love to participate :)

Kitty's Do/Don'ts

I'm not crazy.  I'm insane, there's a difference :P