Genre list suggestions

Started by Vekseid, August 20, 2009, 01:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Quote from: Jecht on August 26, 2009, 12:54:36 AM
What about a horror genre? I love RPing like Resident evil style storyline.

The word between high fantasy and low fantasy? >_>

Chat Noir

Maybe I'm just retarded but I can't find the actual list to look at.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.
If you've been missing me please see my thread here.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones...
...but whips and chains excite me."

Ons and Offs
My Roleplays:
Dirty Little Secret|Mystery Men - Unsung Superheroes

stormkitten

My suggestion would be options of which boards we would prefer to play on. By what board we says a lot about ones tastes and preference.

Non-Adult Role Plays

Play-By-Post: Light

Play-By-Post: Bondage, D/s, S&M

Play-By-Post: Non-Consensual Human

Play-By-Post: Non-Consensual Exotic

Play-By-Post: Extreme

ect

Maybe expanded to includ the sub boards....
"I thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you despair?"

~Twisted Romance & Dark Tales~
*Extreme: Pregnancy & Breeding* 
ONS and OFFS

Wistful Dream

Supernatural might be handy, not as in the show, but in werewolves and vampires, its something modern, but...fantasyish.

Also what is Wuxia?

Caeli

Wikipedia article on wuxia:

"Wuxia or Wǔxiá (武俠) is a broad genre of Chinese fiction that concerns itself with martial arts adventures set primarily in ancient China. Although traditionally a literary art form, it is now also found in art, comics, films, games, television, theatre, and other media. Wuxia forms a large part of popular culture for most Chinese-speaking communities around the world.

The word "wuxia" is a compound word composed from the words xia (俠, "honorable", "chivalrous"), which is the philosophy of the Chinese knight-errant, and wu (武, "martial", "military"), from the Chinese term wushu (武術, "martial arts" or "kungfu"). A martial artist who follows the code of xia is often referred to as a "swordsman" in works of wuxia, although he may not necessarily wield a sword. He is also sometimes called a xiake (俠客, lit: "follower of xia") or yóuxiá (游俠, "wandering xia").

The heroes in Chinese wuxia do not usually serve a lord, wield military power or belong to the aristocratic class. They are often from the lower social classes in ancient Chinese society. Wuxia heroes are usually bound by a code of martial chivalry, that requires them to right wrongs, especially when the helpless are oppressed. The wuxia hero fought for righteousness, typically, seeking to remove an oppressor, or to bring retribution for past wrong-doing. The Chinese xia traditions are similar to those of the Japanese samurai's bushido, the chivalry of the Western European knights and the gunslingers of America's Westerns."
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Vekseid

Wuxia would be Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and the Matrix. Over the top martial arts prowess shakes the world sort of thing.

HairyHeretic

Maybe even Big Trouble in Little China.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Krysia

What about something like All Flesh Must Be Eaten for Systems? Yes I know it would fall under the horror genre but it's still a system so you can play horror games with out creating your own home brewed system.

And instead of calling World of Darkness "Storyteller", why not call it by the company that made it, White Wolf? Or perhaps put up the genres they have, such as V:TM or V:TR, W:TA or W:TF? (No it doesn't mean what the fuck, pretty funny though.)

I know I'm not going to hunt down people when looking over those profiles for people who have "Storyteller" in them because it'll just make me think that they're ST's and not actually looking for people interested in other White Wolf games.

Also having just a general "Storyteller" label doesn't mean much for White Wolf games. It clumps all of us together when we might not know all of the game systems they put out. I for one know V:TM like the back of my hand and might not know Mage at all, but by having a generalized "Storyteller" label someone might ask me if I'm interested in playing Mage even if I don't know it.

Vekseid

what was the AFMBE / Buffy system called? I should go grab the book >_>

I would actually prefer to make that distinction in settings, really. I think it's the setting that draws us to a particular world, regardless - I have all of the Hunter books but despised every other old World of Darkness crittergame.

Ty

Unisystem, IIRC. Maybe 'Cinematic Unisystem'

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Krysia

Quote from: Vekseid on August 31, 2009, 12:15:06 PM
I have all of the Hunter books but despised every other old World of Darkness crittergame.

I know Vampire: Sabbat like the back of my hand but I hate it now so I know what you mean. :)

Saku

Quote from: Wistful Dream on August 29, 2009, 02:30:47 PM
Supernatural might be handy, not as in the show, but in werewolves and vampires, its something modern, but...fantasyish.
Also what is Wuxia?

You could say Paranormal/Occult instead of Supernatural. That way people who want to play Supernatural TV Show wouldn't get confused. :) *like me shhhhh!* xD

Also on the whole Canon/TV shows etc... that genre I was thinking you could label it either Media-Based RPs or FanFiction :) And yes I think we should have an Anime genre too. Horror would also be a good thing to put up *nods* along with Modern/Realistic etc...

But those are just my thoughts. Amazing job Veks!
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

kylie

Comment on the mouseover byline, but...  Are thrillers necessarily fast-paced?  Would there be another category for Suspense, then?