Gate! Thus, the USMC fought there! (interest checking for Fantasy/Modern clash)

Started by Monfang, March 31, 2013, 06:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monfang

This will be a bit of a change from the usual Modern/Fantasy clash. This time, magic isn't so powerful against the sudden arrival of weapons that can shoot metal faster than the speed of sound and against rolling metal machines that fires exploding rounds.

This is my first attempt at GMing a game, so it will be fully freeform with only rules of common sense to keep things in order. I would love for any guidance if you wish to offer it. Here is what I have thus far thanks to people who assisted.

Concept
Concept:

If you read manga, you may recognize the title, that is because it is the exact same name as the series that I am basing this on. However, as I know more about America's military and culture than I do Japan's, I traded the JSDF for the US Marine Corp. After some research, I chose the Marines over say the Special Forces due to them having to serve as first contact which I don't believe fit the roles of the Special Forces.

This is open to all players. There are a wide range of roles that can be fulfilled such as the squad that the story would focus on and the fantasy beings they might encounter whether they be hostile or otherwise. I would also like players who would like to take up roles as members of the undercurrent like politicians, members of foreign nations, terrorist groups, people in power on the other side of the Gate, ect.

Story
Story:

It all starts when a massive gate (think about as tall as several story buildings) opens up in the middle of the US (because I'm tired of things happening in New York or LA) and out comes a flood of medieval inspired solders, monsters and beasts straight from fantasy writers like J.R.R Tolken. They set about killing and raiding all they see. Their only resistance was from local armed citizens until the National Guard and US military mobilizes and drives the invaders back though the gate. Although the magic of the enemy force was powerful and new for the soldiers, it was quickly countered by the superior technology of the US defense forces. Though many civilians were lost in the conflict that drove up a new call for the Gate to be sealed up or destroyed at any cost.

However, during the battle many of their soldiers are captured and after a means of translation of their language is discovered, intelligence is quickly gathered. One of the key pieces of intelligence being that a counter-attack would follow the initial force and even if the gate was destroyed, they would just open another. Thus, a fort was built around the Gate, the first of it's kind designed to defend against attacks strictly coming from the inside rather than the out. Several months after the initial attack, the enemy struck again. They didn't get a foot beyond the event horizon. The USMC charged in after them when they began their retreat, their magic failing to destroy their armored weapons as the treads and tires rolled over the barrier and into the new world.

With the enemy forces scattered. The United States claimed the land around the other side of the Gate and named it the Special Zone. And it is in this Zone that a solution will be found to prevent future conflict. Whether it be though peace.. or war.

With this goal in mind, the Special Corps was instated. A coalition of the Army, Marines and Airforce with that goal in mind. The Corps is split into two Divisions. The 1st Special Zone Defense Division (Shield) lead by Major general Michael Orwell and the 1st Special Zone Combat Division (Sword) lead by Major general Gregory Zignif. These two men have the duty to prevent any future loss of civilian life at any cost. Even if it means death.

Plot
Plot:

The main part of the story will take place several months after the defeat of the enemy's counter-attack. A fort with the latest defensive and offensive technologies to serve as a stronghold is built in the Special Zone around the Gate as the US Government tries to figure out to stop future counterattacks. Whether that be by making peace with those on the other side or completely rendering them unable to launch future attacks. To that end, squads from the Sword Divison is going to be sent in with the intention of interacting with the locals and finding out a peaceful way to end things or if need be, to cripple them completely. The Characters will be a member of one of those squads.

The story is focused on the interaction between people from the Modern Earth and those in the Medieval/Fantasy Special Zone. How the normal Humans will try to cope with beasts and monsters and creatures from their dreams and nightmares and how the residents of the Special Zone will cope with these dramatically different people with weapons and tools beyond comprehension. And should something erotic raises from it, then let it play out.

Characters
Characters:

The core Characters are split into two main character groups.

The United States Military with a main focus on one of the units sent out to interact with the people of the Special Zone. Although there is a full army within the Special Zone, for the sake of simplicity we will be focus on a small part of them. The absolute least amount of people I can take would be enough to fill out a single unit (4) to make a fireteam. This is because this is the smallest sensable force that would be sent out in the scenario. As more players join, the group will be expanded as need be.

Then there are the People of the Special Zone, both hostile and friendly. These characters may appear at any time and in any place they wish. Perhaps they are in one of the cities or villages the squad interacts with or they are a POW captured during the battle. Whatever works for the character. There is no required roles to be fulfilled by these characters so let your imagination run wild.

Finally, the Minor Characters.  I want to keep this open to characters which would drop to play a role perhaps not directly connected with the Major Characters. To give a sense of a sub-current moving though the story. Perhaps the President or another politician in America, or someone from the outside such as the UN, China, Britain or Russia. Or get something a bit deeper with perhaps a terrorist or activist organization. Anything to add a fun twist to things. And on the other side, playing as a Monster perhaps, or a King or other royalty.

If you wish to play one of the two main roles, just post. Otherwise send me a PM and we can work something out.

The Fireteam:

If we only get 4 people for the side of the US I will be using the Marine framework for the Fireteam. It is structured as such:

Rifleman: acts as a scout for the fireteam; "Ready".
Team Leader (M203): also works as the designated grenadier; "Team".
Designated Automatic Rifleman (M249 SAW/M27 IAR): also serves as second in command for the fireteam; "Fire".
Assistant Automatic Rifleman: carries extra ammunition; "Assist".

The Team Leader has to be Ranked at least a Lance Corporal but can be as high as a Sergeant.

Additionally, I will be giving the Fireteam a vehicle and as apposed to the common HUMVEE, I will be giving you a new toy. The MRAP.

MRAP

The Army has been wanting to upgrade to this for a while sense the war in Iraq and we as roleplayers shouldn't turn away a chance to test drive one. And it should give the military players an edge against surprise attacks from beasties and magic. Unless the roles are filled, the Driver and Co-Driver will be NPCs.

It also comes equipped with a remote controlled medium machine gun for use against swarming attackers and medium sized beasts, a short range drone which players can use for surveillance, firing slots for firing from within and plenty of extra ammo and first aid. It also has a long range radio for contact with Headquarters.

This will change as the group is filled out.

Why such small groups?

The RP reasoning why there would be such small groups is as follows: This is brand new territory with no systems of communication or surveillance like there would be on Earth.  Putting a large force without knowledge of the land or enemy locations. Even drones will only be able to see so much and even if they have no anti-air or anti-surveillance  technology, the ones that were captured after the initial attack and counterattack were able to tell that magic could have the capability to destroy the drones should they go out too far.

Not only that, but a large force could be seen as an act of aggression. The US government has no desire to extend the war beyond what it needs to be, especially with the vast differences in firepower going in the US favor.

Finally, it is taking time to train soldiers in learning the basics of the language on the other side. So much so that each squad being sent out has only one soldier with enough training who get a basic conversation going, while the rest can only give simple commands and identification.

Character Sheets

The Character Sheets:

USMC soldier:

Name:
Squad role:
Skills (Limit two extraordinary skills to go along with standard Marine Skills):
Bio:

Special Zone Resident:

Name:
Race:
Supernatural Abilities (if any):
Skills:
Bio:

Minor Character:

Please IM GM.

Resources required: Knowledge of the role you wish to play. Understanding of how the Marines work for example is the basic for Soldier Characters.

List of USMC acronyms and expressions Lots of abbreviations and slang terms to add a little bit of local colour to your character's speech.

U.S. Marine's Rifleman's Creed. The Marines take the slogan 'Every Marine a rifleman' seriously. Every Marine learns this in basic training and they are expected to memorise it.

List of USMC MOS (Military Occupational Specialties) . Basically a list of jobs for enlisted-rank US Marines, along with a list of requirements and duties foreach job.

Links provided by Chaeronea. Many thanks to him.

Game Pace: I will be able to post 24/7 and will do so if the players request the story advance, interact with NPCs or if they approach a story trigger.

I ask that players be able to post at least once a week. If you are unable to post for any reason, please drop me a message and I will guide your character as best I can. Should you wish to leave the game for any reason, you may choose to be killed off or be written out as transferred to a different squad. Should you not post or inform me of your absence after a month I will write you out. You will have to make a new character to rejoin. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Sexual Activity: I expect it to occur. I have no restrictions on what you may do. I don't care if you solve it though PMs or though public posts. I do expect that it happens during times it would make sense. No orgies in the back of the MRAP while between locations but you may while at locations where you are expected to rest.

Posting Tags:

Name: (Your character name that you are currently filling. This will allow people to fill two roles if they wish.)
Location: (Put the general location first and then the specific area second. ex: "Fort Gate: Marine Barrics". If you are moving while posting, add it as such: "-> Commons Area"
Time: (Add 5 minutes after each post to allow for the passage of time when out of combat. During combat, make it one minute. When story posts are put with a different time, use it.)
Tagged: (Player Name first, Character Name second.)

Approved Sheets:
USMC:

RiflemanNeysha
Team Leader (M203): LordMing
Designated Automatic Rifleman (M249 SAW/M27 IAR): Chaeronea
Assistant Automatic Rifleman: carries extra ammunition; "Assist".

Gate:

Healergirl: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=169867.msg8001808#msg8001808

This RP is Open to all! If you want to join, just post! If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know.

1SAZ

Ray Banner

Very interesting! I'd like to officially express my interest for depicting said monstrosity off the 'other side', given the scope of the game I'm sure you'll find plenty to make up the fire team. :-)
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

"When" said the moon to the stars in the sky; "Soon" said the wind that followed him home. "Who" said the cloud that started to cry; "Me" said the rider as dry as a bone. "How" said the sun that melted the ground; "Why" said the river that refused to run. "Where" said the thunder without a sound; "Here" said the rider and took up his gun.

Monfang

I expanded the original post which is making me think I need to add a lot more spoiler tags to keep it from being as big as the phone book.

I expanded the story, gave the fireteam some new toys and explained why small squads are going out into unexplored territory.

Ray Banner

Will you be accepting characters for the other side at any juncture, Monfang? :-)
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

"When" said the moon to the stars in the sky; "Soon" said the wind that followed him home. "Who" said the cloud that started to cry; "Me" said the rider as dry as a bone. "How" said the sun that melted the ground; "Why" said the river that refused to run. "Where" said the thunder without a sound; "Here" said the rider and took up his gun.

Monfang

Quote from: Ray Banner on March 31, 2013, 08:48:27 PM
Will you be accepting characters for the other side at any juncture, Monfang? :-)
Right now actually. Though it depends if you will be playing the side that joins the USMC to help bring an end to the war or the side that tries to keep it going. Just no one has offered to take ether up.

Ray Banner

Quote from: Monfang on March 31, 2013, 08:59:29 PM
Right now actually. Though it depends if you will be playing the side that joins the USMC to help bring an end to the war or the side that tries to keep it going. Just no one has offered to take ether up.

Maybe a double agent of sorts? Someone who joins the USMC for reasons unknown (not unknown to you as a GM however) and you have a nice, little plot twist on your hands. Of course this will not be counter to the plot you may have, instead it can provide that change you're looking for. I'll be more than happy to hatch out details with you over the PMs if you're okay with this, and once we have this running.
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

Monfang

Quote from: Ray Banner on March 31, 2013, 09:06:21 PM
Maybe a double agent of sorts? Someone who joins the USMC for reasons unknown (not unknown to you as a GM however) and you have a nice, little plot twist on your hands. Of course this will not be counter to the plot you may have, instead it can provide that change you're looking for. I'll be more than happy to hatch out details with you over the PMs if you're okay with this, and once we have this running.
That is actually waht I'm looking for, though I wish you PM'd me with it first so that others couldn't read this and know before hand.... Heh. But yes, I always want players to try and bring in their own twists as long as I get a heads up first.

Ray Banner

Whoops. :-)

I'll post the character profile soon. You mentioned Tolkien-esque characters for the other side. Are there any races you wish to leave out/do not prefer for this roleplay?
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

Monfang

Quote from: Ray Banner on March 31, 2013, 09:20:48 PM
Whoops. :-)

I'll post the character profile soon. You mentioned Tolkien-esque characters for the other side. Are there any races you wish to leave out/do not prefer for this roleplay?
I don't' want people to play massive, powerful and/or what we would expect to be non-sentient creatures such as Ogres, Dragons and the like as preeminent characters because it would just be too much. This also goes the same for people who want to play those with a lot of political, martial or magical power such as Kings, Arch-Mages, and such. I would prefer of they stuck with more of the common folk as their permanent character and play those on the side.

If that makes sense.

Monfang

Quote from: Hercinia on March 31, 2013, 09:36:16 PM
Hey I'm going to create a character sheet for a fire-team member if that's alright with you?

Also would you like a picture in the character sheet ? I find it normally helps lol
Sure, though don't expect many pictures for NPCs. I am not very good at finding them myself.

Hercinia

Quote from: Monfang on March 31, 2013, 09:42:52 PM
Sure, though don't expect many pictures for NPCs. I am not very good at finding them myself.

No worries, I know how difficult it can be to find those kind of pics :)

Chaeronea

I'm expressing interest in being a member of the Marine recon team, Monfang. Also, would there be a problem with any of the Marine characters having fought at the opening of the first Gate?

By the way, can the MRAP mount a top-mounted machine gun? Considering some of the beasties the JSDF team runs into in the manga I think we'll need more firepower than standrd M-16s can provide.

And a link to the manga in question for those unfamiliar with it -

http://www.mangachapter.net/13898/gate-thus-the-jsdf-fought-there.html

Hercinia, one minor note for your character - high school graduation or GED in the minimum requirement to get into the Marine Corps since the 1990s, and the minimum enlistment age is 17. You might want to adjust the age at which your character enlisted accordingly.

Hercinia

Thanks, I don't know much about the US military... obviously

Monfang

Quote from: Chaeronea on April 01, 2013, 03:55:36 AM
I'm expressing interest in being a member of the Marine recon team, Monfang. Also, would there be a problem with any of the Marine characters having fought at the opening of the first Gate?

By the way, can the MRAP mount a top-mounted machine gun? Considering some of the beasties the JSDF team runs into in the manga I think we'll need more firepower than standrd M-16s can provide.
Well our Team Leader and Designated Automatic Rifleman wouldn't be using just the M16. The team leader has the M203 Grenade Launcher and the DAR has his choice of the M249 SAW or the M27 IAR. But yes, the MRAP is going to have a larger machine gun mounted on top to provide fire against swarms of attackers and medium sized monsters while giving an official name to it as soon as I can find one. It is going to be remote controlled by the co-driver while the squad has fire-ports on the side of the vehicle to allow them to attack without risk of harm.

The team will have no major explosives with them and their standing orders are to avoid Large class beasts such as dragons if at all possible.

And I have no problem with you being there during the early battles.

Monfang

Did a major overhall of the Original Post. It should be a lot cleaner and easier to read as well as it giving a lot more info on how this will work.

rikka

Then allow me to post as a minor character or two, or three even  :-)

I've always wanted to play out roles from behind the scenes, if that is ok.
Whatever the outcome, it's on you.

Ons/Offs

Monfang

Quote from: rikka on April 02, 2013, 02:00:31 AM
Then allow me to post as a minor character or two, or three even  :-)

I've always wanted to play out roles from behind the scenes, if that is ok.
That will be just fine, send me a PM with a relevant subject line and we can discuss things.

LordMing

I hope this is acceptable.  I jumped at the team lead if thats okay.

Name: Grayson Stone   
Squad role: Team Leader
Skills: FORECON
Bio:
Gray Stone is a third generation marine.  He grew up learning wht it was to live by the motto of Semper Fidelis and he never forgot the stories of his father and grandfather.  When he turned sixteen he joined his high school JROTC, and he signed up for the Corps. when he graduated.  He served in the Infantry for three years before he saw action in the Middle East, where he served with distinction as a support gunner.  He immediately pushed for Force Recon upon his return, and he was accepted on his second try and threw himself into training.  He made Lance Corporal before he shipped off to the Middle East again, and served as a fireteam lead during his tour.  Most of his unit got shot up during an Op that went sour against a concentrated force of Terrorist Insurgents.  He saved two of his fireteam and was given the Navy Cross for his actions in holding back the hostiles.  When the opportunity to head up a team at the Gate opened up, he was quick to sign up for the chance.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Ray Banner

Which character sheet will you suggest Monfang, since my prospective monster is both an orc and part of your USMC team?
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

Monfang

Looks good Ming. Glad we got a squad leader.

Ray, how would the Orc be a member of the USMC?

Ray Banner

Quote from: Ray Banner on March 31, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Quote from: Monfang on March 31, 2013, 09:14:56 PM
That is actually waht I'm looking for, though I wish you PM'd me with it first so that others couldn't read this and know before hand.... Heh. But yes, I always want players to try and bring in their own twists as long as I get a heads up first.

:-)
Ons & Offs - Ideas - A/A

Chaeronea

Still working on my character bio. Just noticed that Ming got the squad leader role, so I'm going to have to do some revision...

Monfang

Quote from: Chaeronea on April 02, 2013, 01:50:10 PM
Still working on my character bio. Just noticed that Ming got the squad leader role, so I'm going to have to do some revision...
It's a first come first serve thing. Sorry. But if we get more people taking up the USMC Squad role, I can rank up old members and fill in roles with the new ones.

Chaeronea

Quote from: Monfang on April 02, 2013, 02:41:33 PM
It's a first come first serve thing. Sorry. But if we get more people taking up the USMC Squad role, I can rank up old members and fill in roles with the new ones.

It's okay. I'm adjusting my character;s bio a bit to put him in as one of the grunts on the team.

Chaeronea

Name: Russell Davis
Squad Role: Designated Automatic Rifleman (carries M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon)
Bio:  The son of a US Marine and a civilian nurse, Russell grew up moving around from base to base around the world as his father moved from deployment to deployment. While his parents wanted a relatively normal life for their son Russell had made up his mind to follow his father and grandfather into the United States Marine Corps, enlisting at the age of 18. The linguistic skills he'd gained in his childhood moving from country to country were high enough that he could have been a linguist or interpreter in the Corps, but instead he chose to be a common rifleman. His combat experience includes two tours of duty in Iraq, seeing heavy combat against insurgents.

Russell's unit was training back in the United States at the time the Gate first opened, and they were hastily thrown into battle against the invaders. Russell took over leading his squad through the conflict after his squad sergeant was wounded, deliberately drawing the enemy's attention away from civilians fleeing the warzone as American reinforcements were rushed in. With Russell's experience in combat against the soldiers from the Special Zone as well as the speed with which he learned their language, it was no surprise that he was one of the first Marines assigned to operations through the Gate.

Skills: In addition to the skills taught to all Marines, Russell has an exceptional gift for learning languages and dialects. At the time he enlisted he could speak English, German, Spanish and Japanese with native fluency (although his Japanese retains an Okinawan accent), and after his first tour of duty in Iraq he was shipped off to the Defence Language Institute to learn Arabic, which he speaks well enough that he acted as a secondary interpreter for his squad and platoon during his second tour of duty in Iraq. His most important skill for his current assignment is his proficiency in Gatespeak (as the language of the invaders from the Special Zone has been dubbed) to the point where he can hold a fairly involved conversation.

So,how does that look Monfang?

Monfang

Looks great, glad we got our first language speaker. This will make interacting with people a lot more easier for the USMC Squad.

Healergirl

Name: Lerta.   if she has a broader familial affiliation, she does not admit to it.

Bio: Lerta was more fortunate than a lot of pretty girls in the slums.  She belonged to a gang from a quite young age, acting as runner, spy, gofer.  Pretty much a matter of keeping her eyes and ears open and not being noticed.  She excelled at carrying messages and blending in.  Then the roof fell in.  A gang war, a nasty one and hers lost badly.

So she became a small time operator.  Carrying messages, picking up information and delivering word to interested parties, running shell games and the like in local taverns.  Posed as  a prostitute to scam drunken horny johns out of the money, she was very good at coming up with ways to avoid closing the deal.  Sometimes she used an ally to bust things up, sometimes she fast-talked her way out of actually putting out, sometimes the guy was just too drunk (with her subtle help) to rise to the occasion.  But she had to seal the deal often enough to know she did not want to do that for a living.  She grew up on the streets, she has seen what becomes of old whores.  She is an attractive young woman in her own right.  Cleaned up, dressed up, made up she becomes truly beautiful.  This  was a problem:  Very dangerous people were noticing her looks,  some of them reputed to be slavers.  And she noticed them.  Then somebody threw her a lifeline.

Well connected, possessed of considerable material esources, ruthless... her new sponsor was exactly what she needed.

But in time of civil strife,  the existing social bonds can fray and tear.

And this is a time of great strife, the Powers That Be are bitterly divided over how to deal with the counterinvasion, and  have been thrown badly off balance by the military reverses and the political infighting at the top to assign blame, dodge blame, and generally improve one's own Position.  The fact that the enemy is not just at the gates, but pouring through the outer ring of defenses does not seem to have mitigated the  near-civil war among the Ruling castes.

In the absence of direction from above, what does a common-born woman do?

Observe, assess, make up her mind about the new players in the political game that is life in the Empire.

And try to stay alive.

Chaeronea

Dammit! I really really want to play this! We've already got three for the Marine squad (Hercinia, Lord Ming and myself) and Healergirl as a local of ambiguous allegiance, plus Rikka's willing to play a couple of minor NPCs. What else do we need to get the game going?

Healergirl

Chaeronea,

I tend to agree, we have enough core players to get started.  But the Gm has to have fun as well, most especially the GM. If Monfang doesn't feel right running the game, he won't have fun and he's the one doing by far most of the work.

edited for spelling.  (sigh)

Chaeronea

Tht's true, Healergirl. I'm just eager to get started.

Soy if I came across as an impatient or demanding jerkass, Monfang.

Monfang

It's fine, Chaeronea. I wanted to at least get a full fireteam (four players) before we got started. And thus far, I only had two sheets unless I missed one and only one for the fireteam.

I honestly expected more interest with the possibilities and I really expected people to be offering suggestions on how to improve the original post and everything because of this being my first attempt at GMing a game. Maybe if I linked this to a game system, it might be easier?

I don't know.

Healergirl

Monfang,

One thing that may be throwing some people is that in the "Gate!" setting, The Magic using side has clearly bitten off more than it can chew.  Usually, the way the trope runs, the Science/Mechanical Engineering side is overwhelmed.  The change of pace is quite refreshing, and is what attracted me to this in the firt place.

ree form vs. system... I'm honestly not sure that makes much difference.  If you are thinking of a system, which do you have in mind?

Monfang

Ah, I figured that the story making it clear it only took a week for the US to drive them out and invade would be enough to clear it up who has the advantage.

And if I did link it to a system, I wouldn't know which. I only know of DnD 4e and NWoD.

Healergirl

Monfang, it is clear, andmost poeple seem more conforable with the Magic side having the edge.  I'm fine with freeform.

Phaia

Monfang

Quote from: Healergirl on April 07, 2013, 06:55:56 PM
Monfang, it is clear, andmost poeple seem more conforable with the Magic side having the edge.  I'm fine with freeform.
I'm fine with freeform as well.

And I suppose they would be. With magic winning, it's like their escapism winning as well. If Technology won then it would be as if reality was crushing their chance to escape.

Quote from: Phaia on April 07, 2013, 08:43:32 PM
what do you for this for the fire team?

Phaia

Two more to fill in the remaining slots. I will update the sheet list to show what we need better. I had several other people say they were interested, but they never got around to PM me about their minor characters or posted a sheet about USMC or Gate-side character.

Neysha

Not terribly familiar with the military but I suppose I can join as a fireteam member.
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Monfang

Quote from: Neysha on April 08, 2013, 09:09:21 AM
Not terribly familiar with the military but I suppose I can join as a fireteam member.
I can fill you in with the relevant info as we go along. Just need your sheet.

Neysha

Here goes nothing:

Name: Ashley Blais
Squad Role: Rifleman
Skills: In addition to the training she received as a Marine and as an MP (military police), she has no other particular standout skills beyond a civilian background proficiency in basic mechanical repair and having gone through several related courses to eventually become a member of the Marine MP Special Response Team, increasing her combat aptitude and becoming the teams designated marksman.
Bio: Ashley grew up on a ranch in Newton County, Arkansas who, against the odds considering her family history, managed to graduate from High School, spending her free time reading books on military history, working on mechanical gadgets and vehicles, hunting and recreational shooting like a good Arkansas girl. Her family lineage can trace its proud history back to before the American Civil War, where her ancestors proudly served on behalf of the Confederacy. Despite her obvious female nature, she decided to follow in the path of her forebears, especially since there wasn't much employment in the county beyond the family ranch.

Enlisting in the Marines right after High School graduation, she joined the Military Police in lieu of the lack of availability of combat positions available to females. After three years of service, she was then promoted to Corporal and allowed to join a US Marine Military Police Special Response Team, the equivalent of a civilian police SWAT team where her marksmanship skills finally found a proper outlet. In her fourth of five years of service, she's served two combat tours, one as an MP and one as an SRT marksman. Both tours were to Afghanistan and largely consisted of either convoy security, static and perimeter security of places like government buildings or election stations etc, and base security. She's hoping that her time served will allow her to get a job in civilian law enforcement or private security after her military career is over.
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

Monfang

Looks good Neysha. I'll approve it, but tell me, how did your character get involved with the squad going to scout out and initiate first contact with the locals in the Special Squad?

Neysha

Quote from: Monfang on April 08, 2013, 02:45:10 PM
Looks good Neysha. I'll approve it, but tell me, how did your character get involved with the squad going to scout out and initiate first contact with the locals in the Special Squad?

Maybe she has some experience in vehicle related operations and provides alternative options when dealing with locals or investigating various thingies and familiarization with auto repair.
My Request Thread

Monfang

Quote from: Neysha on April 08, 2013, 02:56:26 PM
Maybe she has some experience in vehicle related operations and provides alternative options when dealing with locals or investigating various thingies and familiarization with auto repair.
Alright, works for me.

Chaeronea

Some links to some resources that might be useful, or at least interesting, for those playing Marines -

List of USMC acronyms and expressions Lots of abbreviations and slang terms to add a little bit of local colour to your character's speech.

U.S. Marine's Rifleman's Creed. The Marines take the slogan 'Every Marine a rifleman' seriously. Every Marine learns this in basic training and they are expected to memorise it.

List of USMC MOS (Military Occupational Specialties) . Basically a list of jobs for enlisted-rank US Marines, along with a list of requirements and duties foreach job.

I thought this might be useful for those who are playing Marines.

Monfang

Quote from: Chaeronea on April 09, 2013, 08:19:25 AM
Some links to some resources that might be useful, or at least interesting, for those playing Marines -

I thought this might be useful for those who are playing Marines.
Thank you Chaeronea. Would you mind if I added this to the OP?

Chaeronea

Lustful Bride

Is this rp still going?

I can't seem to find the rp thread and I would love to join up with this.  ;D

Ontan

Mac84

WOW! I wish I saw this before posting my Request for a game that is practically the same!

What Roles are still open? Any on the Fireteam?