News:

Main Menu

Durarara

Started by Missy, August 15, 2011, 05:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

[Durarara Opening - Uragiri no Yuuyake]

All I can say about it is AWESOME!!!

And I just figured out where Celti's head is in the theme!

Anyways, has anyone else been watching it or enjoying it?

Healergirl

I have, and I am enjoying itimmensely although I have no real idea what is going on yet.  I've seen two episodes, Bad Ass Dude and the most recently brodcast on Adult Swim.

NotoriusBEN

dont worry healergirl. Every episode has been through one or another character's viewpoint. Never the same one yet either.

I think one of the underlying themes of the show is... "Connections". Everyone is connected to everyone else in someway.

The other that I think is a bit loose at the moment is "Death by Degrees". Celti is having issues with memory loss (I guess it'd be normal memory loss because she is having a harder time remembering her face. Its been decades at least since she lost it.)

Another incident to "Death by Degrees". The two school boys managed to get away from some 'dollar-gangers' because they all saw Celti running through an alley. Taking their chance, the boys make a break for it, but a shadow-slasher that was chasing Celti decides to frag the 'dollars' instead. Seriously, if the kids were 5 seconds slower, they'd be dead, too. Instead they are elated that all they managed to do was get away from a beating.

That's my take on the show at the moment. Nothing pivotal has happened yet, but its still a good show to watch atm.

Shjade

Pretty large cast to introduce in an opening theme.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Missy

I think they'll tie them all together at some point. Though I'm not really sure what role they'll all play, like Masaomi Mikado and Anri.

There seems to be a human trafficker thing going on in Shibuya from that one episode where Erika and Kyohie went to rescue their one friend.

I like the depth the various characters have, how well written and thought out each one is. Currently my favourite is Celti. I also enjoy the music they play in her scenes with Shinra, the piano.

In any case I think it will still be interesting even if the characters aren't tied to some common goal or find themselves on the opposite side of some conflict at some point in the future.

Shjade

For some reason the opening credits, just the way they're throwing all those people together and the more-or-less normal-but-exaggerated setting they're in, give me a Paranoia Agent vibe.
◕/◕'s

Missy

What's a paranoia agent?

Jag

Paranoia Agent.

It was interesting. I liked it.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Shjade

Paranoia Agent Opening
That's Paranoia Agent.

Caution: starts out pretty loud.

Don't be alarmed if this creeps you the hell out - that's a perfectly normal response.
◕/◕'s

Jag

I remember the first time I saw Paranoia Agent. It was the one where the three people have the suicide pact and one of them turns out to be a little girl. I was very put off by it, but decided to go back and watch the whole series. Pleasantly surprised by the twists. *nods*

And looking at the opening for it again, you're right. It does have a Paranoia Agent feel to it.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Healergirl

<sighs>

Ok, now I have to add Parnoi Agent to my watch list.

I note in the end credits that Simon is shown at the bottom of the stack of characters.  Supporting them.  I suspect this may not be an accidental placement, that he is a far more important person in the story than it first would seem.

Dray

Love this anime, enough said.

krakenknight

beautiful ecclectic and confusing as hell. Durarara is a love it or hate it series.
I love it but its a lot like its spiritual predecessor Baccano in its oddness.

Missy

Have folks kept up watching?

It's getting better...and better.

I like the depth of it, and the unexpectedness about it.

kikideru

I have already watched all the episodes of the anime. I absolutely adore it! It's so full of win XD This anime has been able to keep me surprised throughout it's entirety and I liked it so much I have all the episodes downloaded on my computer XD And it's on Adult Swim now? O.o Holy... Now I'm curious as to what the characters sound like in English, although I'm usually disappointed when I hear them in English, after watching an anime in Japanese -.-

Either way, I love it, I love it, I love it... It's so deliciously messed up and all the characters are badass XD If anyone has watched Baccano before Durarara, there are several references to the other anime in this one for the sharp-eyed.
"I do not spew profanities I enunciate them clearly, like a fucking lady"

My O/Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=131220.0

NotoriusBEN

havent seen baccano, but the characters sound pretty decent in english. You might have a problem with the black russian guy, but he's charming enough. Im mad that I missed last week's episode because I was 2days into the PAX convention and *tired*, but the show has been awesome. Its refreshing to see all the different POV's and the creators are still able to keep it all coherent and together too.

kikideru

Hmm, looks like I'm gonna have to give the English-dub version a go to hear the difference for myself. I do adore Simon though. What impressed me in the Japanese version of Durarara was that even though their accents were very thick and a bit awkward, but Simon and other characters who speak a different language, speak it properly with correct grammar and all that. And that's a pretty rare thing in anime XD
"I do not spew profanities I enunciate them clearly, like a fucking lady"

My O/Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=131220.0

Keelan

Ah!  Durarara! I love the show!  So awesome... watched it as it was coming out in Japan in my anime club... but they've dubbed it?  Damn, i need to keep up with things... >.>

But yeah, as someone who is not a fan of this genre, I loved the show; I would recommend it to anybody to watch!

Missy

Does anyone know where I can get watch Durarara free other than Adultswim.com? it's not working for me right now, and my television is broken.

EDIT:

Nevermind, found a place